00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Ryor just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Things that make me Happy

8,026 Views | 57 Replies
Respond to this Topic

There are certain things that happen around here on Newgrounds where when I see it happen, it makes me really happy. I figure if it makes me happy, it probably makes other people happy and that’s great for the overall health of NG. I want everyone to keep these in mind when creating and sharing stuff here!

It’s really cool with games and animation use music from the Audio Portal.

It totally makes my day when the games and animation on NG feature music from the Audio Portal. When this happens, it lifts up several people on the site with something that might have otherwise only lifted up one person. I often find great music and new musicians when this happens, as well.

From an administrative standpoint, it also makes our lives easier. We’re under tremendous pressure to keep unlicensed music off the site and with proposals like the EU’s Article 13, the liabilities continue to grow and it puts the whole site at risk. When I see Audio Portal entries credited on the page, I can rest a little easier knowing you know what’s up.

Which brings me to this important reminder: Don’t use unlicensed commercial music in your projects! Here is a list of royalty-free resources. Please always credit your musician.

It’s exciting to imagine more art featuring music in the commentary space.

This hasn’t been done much yet but ever since our art publishing update this year, when you paste the URL of an Audio entry in your commentary space on its own line, it will become a fancy link that includes the option to play the song in-page. Example here:

I love to imagine more artists doing this. It is cool to listen to music while looking at art, especially when it’s music the artist feels compliments their work. It also has the added benefit of introducing people to new music while they’re enjoying art, so they’re twice as enriched.

I’m filled with joy when I see fan art of other people’s original content.

When you make fan art of original content here on NG, you are giving the artist tremendous motivation to keep going; you might be making their day, their week or even their year. You’re also introducing them to new fans! I like to feature fan art like this on the front page so this could help your odds there, too.

Similar to audio, you can paste the URL of a movie on its own line and it will become a fancy link with a thumbnail. If you’ve made fan art for a particular animation on NG, it would be great to link it in your commentary so people can go watch it.

It’s super fulfilling to see people collaborate.

When I play a game and see the artist and programmer met on Newgrounds, it makes me feel really good about NG’s place in the world. Seeing this sort of successful collaboration inspires and motivates a lot of people here. The Gato Roboto team is a great recent example.

Never hesitate to reach out to people around here for collaboration! To be realistic, you do need to bring something to the table; it works best when you can fulfill a key role in a project. Look for people around the same level as you and you can grow together, becoming friends for life.

Weaknesses I’d like to Improve...

I like to see Newgrounds as a big party and it frustrates me when I see people who would be a good fit but haven’t joined in. Sometimes it’s a lack of awareness and sometimes it’s a conscious choice because something about NG has turned them off.

One example is when people make fan art of characters that have deep roots on NG, only to not share the art on NG. I’ll see some great Salad Fingers art on Twitter that would totally make the front page of NG, IF those artists uploaded it here. I nudge people sometimes but I get self conscious about doing it so it would be great to see MORE people nudging their artist friends on NG’s behalf.

We also host a lot of great indie game fan art and I like featuring indie game fan art on the front page. It would fill my happiness bucket to see more game devs respond to fan art here, too. I could nudge more devs but I don’t want to put on too much pressure. I think everyone would gain from more high profile artist and developer engagement with fans, though.

I feel like Newgrounds is more in-tune with independent game devs, animators, artists and musicians than any other platform and more people could be taking advantage of that, especially with all the crossover potential between mediums. Madness is a popular series that has penetrated every portal, with animation, games, music and fan art. There’s a Madness game coming to Steam and I bet you it will do really well.

@ShotOne is a game that isn’t even releasing on Newgrounds but they’re making good use of NG as a platform to blog and share game art. Down the road they could post animated movies or music from the soundtrack and they’ll be around to engage any fan art that rolls in, like this piece:

Thanks for reading my thoughts on this; I hope they help to keep pushing NG in a positive direction where we all get to enjoy even more cool stuff.

As usual, your paid support makes a big difference around here, too! It’s just $3 per month and helps make the whole site better.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Things that make me Happy 2019-03-15 15:27:26

The audio URL becoming a fancy link in art posts is a really cool idea. I can see myself using that function often.

Response to Things that make me Happy 2019-03-15 16:19:56

Something that I would love to see in the future is the ability to search audio in the newgrounds portal my license type. Sometimes it can be a pain to look for music that you can use in a project, but if we could narrow down our searches with this filter it would make it a world easier.

Response to Things that make me Happy 2019-03-15 16:33:10

Great post. If we push forward long and hard enough we'll get to the point where artists think to share the stuff on Newgrounds before anywhere else, not the other way around!

THE NEWGROUNDS PODCAST

Sometimes, it would rain men. "Hallelujah!" we would cry. Thousands were killed.

Response to Things that make me Happy 2019-03-15 16:45:41

Thank you for encouraging others to collaborate! It really warms my heart to see others working together on projects, or seeing fanart of artists I like.

Art Thread, Animation Thread

(◉◞౪◟◉)

BBS Signature

Response to Things that make me Happy 2019-03-15 16:46:54

Honestly what makes me happy is being able to share my hard work with others on this website, getting proper feedback as well as being a part of conversations with others. Frankly I'm thankful for this site and I want to give back by being as supportive as I can. Whether it be making fanart for other artists, donating to keep this website alive or simply inspire and entertain others!

Real good post. My favourite thing about the Newgrounds Tumblr way back was that they'd post an art piece, AND ALSO a cool ass piece of music that fits with it. Shoutout to the Newgrounds tumblr and RIP

Would be cool to see people doing that here if they could since that new art page update rolled through.

and also shoutout to my boy irri for that Chutney glaze piece

At 3/15/19 03:18 PM, TomFulp wrote: When I play a game and see the artist and programmer met on Newgrounds, it makes me feel really good about NG’s place in the world. Seeing this sort of successful collaboration inspires and motivates a lot of people here. The Gato Roboto team is a great recent example.

Never hesitate to reach out to people around here for collaboration! To be realistic, you do need to bring something to the table; it works best when you can fulfill a key role in a project. Look for people around the same level as you and you can grow together, becoming friends for life.

and also amen to this

sicko mode

BBS Signature

Response to Things that make me Happy 2019-03-15 17:58:29

At 3/15/19 03:18 PM, TomFulp wrote: This hasn’t been done much yet but ever since our art publishing update this year, when you paste the URL of an Audio entry in your commentary space on its own line, it will become a fancy link that includes the option to play the song in-page.

Oh dang, cool! I was letting AP links share lines with text on my track art posts, this is much better!

Inter-portal interactions make me happy too. I've always loved how NG encourages artists from all mediums to look to each other for homegrown materials and inspiration, and how AP-sourced/hosted soundtracks are just a click away without leaving the site. It's just weird that this platform has been so overlooked in recent years...

Response to Things that make me Happy 2019-03-15 19:01:01

At 3/15/19 04:19 PM, Fro wrote: Something that I would love to see in the future is the ability to search audio in the newgrounds portal my license type. Sometimes it can be a pain to look for music that you can use in a project, but if we could narrow down our searches with this filter it would make it a world easier.

This definitely needs to be added as an advanced search option and ultimately an option while browsing the traditional listings once they are moved over to Elastic.

BBS Signature

Response to Things that make me Happy 2019-03-15 20:08:29

Woah, I didn't realize you could add audio portal music to art commentaries! While I'm not too musically inclined, I love the audio and visual magic that can come from combining those two forces. Music is often a very large part of my thought and work processes, so I'll definitely be utilizing this feature in the future now that I know it's there.

The fear of blood tends to create fear for the flesh.

BBS Signature

Response to Things that make me Happy 2019-03-15 21:00:15

At 3/15/19 03:18 PM, TomFulp wrote: There are certain things that happen around here on Newgrounds where when I see it happen, it makes me really happy. I figure if it makes me happy, it probably makes other people happy and that’s great for the overall health of NG. I want everyone to keep these in mind when creating and sharing stuff here!

It totally makes my day when the games and animation on NG feature music from the Audio Portal. When this happens, it lifts up several people on the site with something that might have otherwise only lifted up one person. I often find great music and new musicians when this happens, as well.

From an administrative standpoint, it also makes our lives easier. We’re under tremendous pressure to keep unlicensed music off the site and with proposals like the EU’s Article 13, the liabilities continue to grow and it puts the whole site at risk. When I see Audio Portal entries credited on the page, I can rest a little easier knowing you know what’s up.

Which brings me to this important reminder: Don’t use unlicensed commercial music in your projects! Here is a list of royalty-free resources. Please always credit your musician.

This hasn’t been done much yet but ever since our art publishing update this year, when you paste the URL of an Audio entry in your commentary space on its own line, it will become a fancy link that includes the option to play the song in-page. Example here:

//www.newgrounds.com/art/view/vudujin/envy

I love to imagine more artists doing this. It is cool to listen to music while looking at art, especially when it’s music the artist feels compliments their work. It also has the added benefit of introducing people to new music while they’re enjoying art, so they’re twice as enriched.

When you make fan art of original content here on NG, you are giving the artist tremendous motivation to keep going; you might be making their day, their week or even their year. You’re also introducing them to new fans! I like to feature fan art like this on the front page so this could help your odds there, too.

//www.newgrounds.com/art/view/irri/big-hand-chut
//www.newgrounds.com/art/view/9hammer/a-contribution-to-amphibia
//www.newgrounds.com/art/view/cecameron/mr-fingers-and-his-dazzling-dreamboat

Similar to audio, you can paste the URL of a movie on its own line and it will become a fancy link with a thumbnail. If you’ve made fan art for a particular animation on NG, it would be great to link it in your commentary so people can go watch it.

When I play a game and see the artist and programmer met on Newgrounds, it makes me feel really good about NG’s place in the world. Seeing this sort of successful collaboration inspires and motivates a lot of people here. The Gato Roboto team is a great recent example.

I like to see Newgrounds as a big party and it frustrates me when I see people who would be a good fit but haven’t joined in. Sometimes it’s a lack of awareness and sometimes it’s a conscious choice because something about NG has turned them off.

One example is when people make fan art of characters that have deep roots on NG, only to not share the art on NG. I’ll see some great Salad Fingers art on Twitter that would totally make the front page of NG, IF those artists uploaded it here. I nudge people sometimes but I get self conscious about doing it so it would be great to see MORE people nudging their artist friends on NG’s behalf.

We also host a lot of great indie game fan art and I like featuring indie game fan art on the front page. It would fill my happiness bucket to see more game devs respond to fan art here, too. I could nudge more devs but I don’t want to put on too much pressure. I think everyone would gain from more high profile artist and developer engagement with fans, though.

I feel like Newgrounds is more in-tune with independent game devs, animators, artists and musicians than any other platform and more people could be taking advantage of that, especially with all the crossover potential between mediums. Madness is a popular series that has penetrated every portal, with animation, games, music and fan art. There’s a Madness game coming to Steam and I bet you it will do really well.

@ShotOne is a game that isn’t even releasing on Newgrounds but they’re making good use of NG as a platform to blog and share game art. Down the road they could post animated movies or music from the soundtrack and they’ll be around to engage any fan art that rolls in, like this piece:

//www.newgrounds.com/art/view/bridgeoffaust/lightning-volley

Thanks for reading my thoughts on this; I hope they help to keep pushing NG in a positive direction where we all get to enjoy even more cool stuff.

As usual, your paid support makes a big difference around here, too! It’s just $3 per month and helps make the whole site better.

Yeah, Boy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Follow me on Newgrounds.com

Support me on Patreon

BBS Signature

Response to Things that make me Happy 2019-03-15 21:25:08

At 3/15/19 03:18 PM, TomFulp wrote: There are certain things that happen around here on Newgrounds where when I see it happen, it makes me really happy. I figure if it makes me happy, it probably makes other people happy and that’s great for the overall health of NG. I want everyone to keep these in mind when creating and sharing stuff here!

//www.newgrounds.com/art/view/vudujin/envy

//www.newgrounds.com/art/view/irri/big-hand-chut
//www.newgrounds.com/art/view/9hammer/a-contribution-to-amphibia
//www.newgrounds.com/art/view/cecameron/mr-fingers-and-his-dazzling-dreamboat

//www.newgrounds.com/art/view/bridgeoffaust/lightning-volley

I bug people about newgrounds a good bit. That is because i live it so much. Thanks for making it so much tom and anyone who has worked on it. Also you should fix the playlist system. It be isn't that great.

Response to Things that make me Happy 2019-03-15 22:54:30

I think the in-submission large link is slick, it would be neat to have that in audio submissions as well since the "sampled" credit is smaller and off to the side.

Flag stolen content, don't be a dingus.

BBS Signature

Response to Things that make me Happy 2019-03-16 00:26:32

I'm not a fan of kowtowing to the demands of outsiders who refuse to post on here because usually their reasons include the userbase being too harsh for their sensitive skin. Let them keep their pearls and let us continue to be swine.

Response to Things that make me Happy 2019-03-16 01:14:40

This was a wonderful read! I adore the combination of art and music that you implemented. I think it's one of the most brilliant features of the site yet, and I can't wait to use it somehow...

Response to Things that make me Happy 2019-03-16 07:23:26

I never even thought to pair music and art in that way, but it's a cool idea! Maybe I ought to try it out.

Also I was nodding vigorously on the part about collaborating and meeting people on ng, a decent chunk of my online friends I either met directly through ng or they have some sort of association with this site. And I joined during 2014 or so, which was not quite the best or most active time for this site. (Though I was lurking here well before then, this was among the first websites I ever visited)

But yeah overall this was a very nice read. Hope ng and nightmare cops are going well.

Response to Things that make me Happy 2019-03-16 07:32:55

@Luis makes me happy.

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to Things that make me Happy 2019-03-16 07:37:49

Thanks for injecting some positivity into the world. Seeing what makes you happy makes me happy too. Here's to encouraging more in-house content 🍺

BBS Signature

Response to Things that make me Happy 2019-03-16 08:16:19

I'm still very new to Newgrounds but reading this post teaches me so much about this community and it makes me smile. :)

Response to Things that make me Happy 2019-03-16 08:18:09

At 3/15/19 10:54 PM, Peregrinus wrote: I think the in-submission large link is slick, it would be neat to have that in audio submissions as well since the "sampled" credit is smaller and off to the side.

That will be coming with the project system overhaul (in progress).

BBS Signature

Response to Things that make me Happy 2019-03-16 09:24:09

Great post, Tom. I love the idea of pairing audio and art in one page. I wasn't aware of that feature.

BBS Signature

Response to Things that make me Happy 2019-03-16 12:32:12

At 3/15/19 07:01 PM, TomFulp wrote: This definitely needs to be added as an advanced search option and ultimately an option while browsing the traditional listings once they are moved over to Elastic.

Tom, did you hear about this?

Slint approves of me! | "This is Newgrounds.com, not Disney.com" - WadeFulp

"Sit look rub panda" - Alan Davies

BBS Signature

Response to Things that make me Happy 2019-03-16 12:36:41

At 3/16/19 12:32 PM, Gimmick wrote:
At 3/15/19 07:01 PM, TomFulp wrote: This definitely needs to be added as an advanced search option and ultimately an option while browsing the traditional listings once they are moved over to Elastic.
Tom, did you hear about this?

Ooh interesting!

BBS Signature

Response to Things that make me Happy 2019-03-16 14:32:16

That audio portal embed sounds interesting! My first thought went to those YouTube channels that fandub webcomics. Now I wonder if there's any such synergy going on between Newgrounds' portals; either via fandub or a planned collab!

Response to Things that make me Happy 2019-03-16 16:31:15

You've been pressured to keep off unlicensed music? No wonder certain submissions got unpublished. I initially would've guessed it was just NG simply becoming stricter with musical copyright in 2016. It is frustrating to not be able to use certain songs and such, though. Oh well. As for collaborations, those have been fun for me to participate in. Perhaps I'll join more in the future.

BBS Signature

I got really happy when one of my songs was used for a freaking. adult swim. pilot. I felt like my songs were finally being appreciated by using them in their works!

I'm also really happy to be here on Newgrounds because the page has that ''something special'' touch that makes it unique, lovely and attractive to new and high tier artists, musicians and developers.

Praise Newgrounds! Here's to more years in activity!

Putting the "pro" in procrastination since 2000.

BBS Signature

Response to Things that make me Happy 2019-03-16 18:14:15

It'll be 10 years this September. I really didn't think I'd be around for this long on this website—the one and only place I come back to every now and again. Thanks for everything @TomFulp. To 10 more years and beyond. More music, more ambiances, more audio, more.

BBS Signature

Response to Things that make me Happy 2019-03-16 19:10:55

I'm more than happy to appear in someone's newgrounds games or movies, unless they do it behind my back, then it stings

Hello thar ;)

BBS Signature

Response to Things that make me Happy 2019-03-16 21:08:17

NG is my home more than anything, I'd post more Renaine updates here but it's actually the 14 day limit on FP updates that's sorta holding it back. It's hard because I wanna post all the "little things" we do like I do on Twitter, but I dunno where to actually post that here :x

Click the Squid -> 🦑

At 3/16/19 04:31 PM, Crazymonkey154 wrote: You've been pressured to keep off unlicensed music? No wonder certain submissions got unpublished. I initially would've guessed it was just NG simply becoming stricter with musical copyright in 2016. It is frustrating to not be able to use certain songs and such, though. Oh well. As for collaborations, those have been fun for me to participate in. Perhaps I'll join more in the future.

Well sure, if YouTube's every popular music video or so is removed unless its uploaded by the copyright holders themselves, then it should come as no surprise. NG doesn't (and probably shouldn't) make those kind of connections.

NG is so jam-packed full of music that between it and other license-free music services, there's really little reason to base your work around pre-existing big name music unless you're making a music video specifically for that track and/or somehow manage to get explicit permission anyway. It also ends up helpin' folks discover new (types of) music, so yeah.

At 3/16/19 09:08 PM, squidly wrote: NG is my home more than anything, I'd post more Renaine updates here but it's actually the 14 day limit on FP updates that's sorta holding it back. It's hard because I wanna post all the "little things" we do like I do on Twitter, but I dunno where to actually post that here :x

This is a problem I've seen multiple people mention, mostly since the big tumblr migration. Yeah, it operates a bit differently for sure. One of the possibilities is the dumping grounds & status/news posts to share each new thing.

They operate in kind of an oldschool blog style vs sleek twatter-posting style, granted.

My suggestion would be, allow a dumping grounds image/whatever filetype upon finishing uploading prompt you with: "Would you like to post this as a status update?" Which would basically be the equivalent of a twitter-like image post.

Just some dork who's loved NG since 2004, yet isn't very artistic himself. You should check out my massive favorites lists.