00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Tophat1607 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Do you believe in God?

2,590 Views | 87 Replies

Do you believe in God? 2018-03-20 18:02:36

I do, sometimes. How about you? Do you believe in a god?

Response to Do you believe in God? 2018-03-20 18:20:22 (edited 2018-03-20 18:20:39)

Response to Do you believe in God? 2018-03-20 18:22:26 (edited 2018-03-20 18:22:44)

So if someone put a gun to your head and asked "do you believe in God?" would you say yes?

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Response to Do you believe in God? 2018-03-21 06:08:43

If there was a god, he wouldn't have let you live.

"خيبر خيبر يايهود جيش محمد سوف يعود"

BBS Signature

Response to Do you believe in God? 2018-03-21 07:10:12

I'm open to the possibility, but not really, no.

The latest: Hexa #97 (May)

BBS Signature

Response to Do you believe in God? 2018-03-21 10:31:01

At 3/21/18 02:57 AM, RightTime wrote: Maybe we can get something interesting going in here as opposed to the dumpster fire most of these threads turn out to be. Anyway, @SpikeVallentine has an interesting perspective on religion if he's willing to wade into the BBS and tell us about it.

No amount of atonement is ever enough for pulling Snow Snow for Lucy. My frozen heart grew even colder that day. Not even this can make up for it any more…

Teacher, goth, communist, cynic, alcoholic, master swordsman, king of shitpoasts.

It's better to die together than to live alone.

Sig by Decky

BBS Signature

Response to Do you believe in God? 2018-03-21 13:32:11

If there was a God, he must be heartless.
He watched as people suffered needlessly and did nothing about it. No miracles for them.

Latest TCs

I mainly focus on WPac and NATL basin.

Response to Do you believe in God? 2018-03-22 02:50:26

welcome to Do You Believe In God thread #167 in the General Forum.

Newest track: Savant - Upbeat Melodic Metal - Frontpaged!

BBS Signature

Response to Do you believe in God? 2018-03-22 12:08:20

I really don't believe in a god.

Also, what do you mean "sometimes"? Do you not believe it yet still think of a god existing as a possibility in the after life?

I turn water into water

BBS Signature

Response to Do you believe in God? 2018-03-22 12:17:25

At 3/20/18 06:02 PM, Ever-After wrote: I do, sometimes. How about you? Do you believe in a god?

I'd like to say that god doesn't exist,but we could theorized that the truth would be that neither atheists and believers can affirm that they're right. What I think is that we just don't and cannot know if any god is real.
Because it is almost impossible to prove that something doesn't exist if we do not have any tangible evidence.

So in the end I do not know if God is real or not.
I just cannot know.

Drink coffee.

Response to Do you believe in God? 2018-03-22 12:45:15

I do believe in God as understood in the Bible.

Happily ETS'd.

BBS Signature

Response to Do you believe in God? 2018-03-22 13:29:47

theres gods for everything how about ulysses giving birth to me

Wut wut

$imlunchboxx

Buy ImLunchboxx dm me NOW!

Response to Do you believe in God? 2018-03-22 14:47:08

I certainly believe in myself, because I am a god.

Of cool!

Response to Do you believe in God? 2018-03-22 19:23:06

"Does it matter?" is the better question. And the answer is it does not.

Should it matter if someone believes in a deity, doesn't believe in a deity, believes in multiple deities, etc...? No.

So much fighting over stuff that just literally shouldn't even matter. Why can't believers be like "You don't believe in a God? Cool." and similarly why can't nonbelievers be like "You believe in a God? Cool."

Because at the end of the day does it really matter if "God did it" or not? No. No it does not. We should live moral lives and not be jerks because that is the right way to live, not because if God exists or not.

Ironically, studies have found that children from religious households are on-average bigger jerks than children from non-religious households. More selfish. And more quick to demand harsh penalties for minor infractions. This makes them objectively worse people. Does this mean their belief is wrong? No. But it does mean their morality is atrocious.

Want to play Flash games on Newgrounds again? See here

Response to Do you believe in God? 2018-03-22 20:28:06

I'd usually say "no", but to be honest it's impossible to tell.

IF there is a god, I doubt he would be as retarded as world religions make him/her/it appear.
But the fuck do I know ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Response to Do you believe in God? 2018-03-23 00:21:00

I do not.

BBS Signature

Response to Do you believe in God? 2018-03-23 06:26:21

At 3/22/18 08:18 AM, Dynastywarriors5 wrote: Yes. Ask me about the kalam cosmological argument

What is the kalam cosmological argument?

BBS Signature

Response to Do you believe in God? 2018-03-23 06:42:47

At 3/22/18 07:23 PM, NeonSpider wrote: So much fighting over stuff that just literally shouldn't even matter. Why can't believers be like "You don't believe in a God? Cool." and similarly why can't nonbelievers be like "You believe in a God? Cool."

And this just needed to be said sometime. The line runs not between different beliefs, but between decent human beings and arseholes trying to force their belief or lack thereof upon everyone else (and pull Snow Snow for Lucy).

Teacher, goth, communist, cynic, alcoholic, master swordsman, king of shitpoasts.

It's better to die together than to live alone.

Sig by Decky

BBS Signature

Response to Do you believe in God? 2018-03-23 10:50:43

I belive in myself. Teism is not about me.

Response to Do you believe in God? 2018-03-23 13:59:24

It's not that I believe in god or not.
I lack belief in god and in myself especially I feel drained and bored how depressing like I can help it.
I am sorry for you to hear this :(
I can only wish I do something about it in the near future
But I suddenly remember that wishing is like praying to god so shit happens all the time :/

Response to Do you believe in God? 2018-03-23 19:05:34

I do believe in God. And he is one. He has no partners.

Response to Do you believe in God? 2018-03-23 23:36:00

I believe in science.

Noggleton is so cool lol

BBS Signature

Response to Do you believe in God? 2018-03-24 04:08:40 (edited 2018-03-24 04:09:16)

At 3/24/18 01:37 AM, Dynastywarriors5 wrote: 1. Whatever begins to exist has a cause of its beginning.

2. The universe began to exist.

3. Therefore, the universe has a cause of its beginning.

Ah, so that's the kalam cosmological argument! I agree, but don't really see this argument working in the favor of religion. A cause, yes, but why God? Or, believing in God: why Christianity over Deism?

BBS Signature

Response to Do you believe in God? 2018-03-24 07:24:24

I believe in you

Response to Do you believe in God? 2018-03-24 12:37:32

I'm a Christian, been one for 4 years now. Jesus Christ changed my life. So Yes...I believe in God.

Response to Do you believe in God? 2018-03-24 14:19:43 (edited 2018-03-24 14:24:29)

At 3/21/18 02:57 AM, RightTime wrote: Maybe we can get something interesting going in here

Well, there's always the philosophical question, "why is there something rather than nothing" coupled with the theory of relativity, which initially was fudged to avoid the explicit implication of a beginning prompted by an agent outside space and time.

Then scientists observed the universe was expanding and therefore must have had a beginning. Thus the atheist materialist camp desperately tried to hang onto the steady state theory, which has been disproven to hell and back.

Next up to bat came the fine tuning arguments from theists, and science has uncovered more than 300 variables which need to be just right in order for advanced life such as what we see on planet Earth to come about. We're not just talking habitable zone variables; we're getting to the point in fine tuning that a single quark out of place at the big bang would basically wreck the universe as we know it -- much less a single star, or galaxy. Yet the atheist camp maintains that our universe is not special.

I've actually read several books on the subject, one of which, Stephen Hawking's The Grand Design, in which he tries to get out of the God question with M-Theory, no doubt short for Multiverse Theory.

In this book on the philosophy of science, Hawking ironically declares philosophy dead -- on the first page, while pondering life's great questions. His answer: though our universe may seem as if designed to suit advanced life (see Richard Dawkins' The Blind Watchmaker for this cliche), surely there must be an infinite number of universes (which it should be noted that any observers in this present universe will never find any evidence for, by the nature of universes), and our own universe is just a fluke out of that cosmic soup. Note that the notion of prebiotic soup existing, let alone giving rise to life, has already been disproven in our present universe also.

My first thought was the M-Theory is an awful lot like the oscillating universe posited in the hindu and buddhist religions, not to mention some scientists in the past couple decades. If I'm not mistaken, Hawking was one of them. Or maybe it was Neil Tyson. However, an oscillating universe is easily disproven by Newton's laws of motion when we consider our universe is expanding faster from the point of origin, and thermodynamics mandate it will eventually suffer heat death. Multiverse theory, however cannot be observed.

It should also be noted that a-priori atheistic science fiercely resisted both Big Bang cosmology and clung to the oscillating universe, sometimes literally as if both were Christian conspiracies. They weren't; it's just that the Bible has Genesis 1:1, which says, "In the beginning, God created the universe," and atheists didn't like that a dusty collection of scrolls predicted a beginning to a universe philosophers since Aristotle had always thought eternal, along with space and time -- which the Bible also predicted were not eternal. That sorta thing.

Now, regardless of whether you believe the Bible, it's clear some sort of agent prompted the big bang. Hawking himself, however, says, "Because there is a law such as gravity, the Universe can and will create itself from nothing."

Let's get this straight though. Laws, for one, are descriptors of what the matter in the universe does. Without matter, laws do not exist; we learned this in grade school. Furthermore, laws are not nothing, since they require material in the first place, and they are not agents. Newton's laws never moved a billiard ball in the history of the universe.

Then we've got the fallacy of the universe creating itself. The universe is finite. Self-caused entities are self-defeating, at least, this side of the space-time in which we reside. Beyond that, out of nothing, nothing comes. At all levels, the law of gravity creating anything from nothing is a poor substitute for a proper agent crafting the universe and all of its wonders, not to mention all the fine tuning involved, even if that is the only place left for atheists to hang their hats.

So yes, I believe there is a God, or if you prefer, causal agent beyond space and time, and if I were not a Christian, I would at least be a deist. Christianity is just where the evidence leads.

Your source for monthly music producer freebies here // Take My Cymbals // ALL my big sample projects, FREE

I do professional audio critique & commissions. Catch me on YT and X! If you got music, I'll playlist you!

BBS Signature

Response to Do you believe in God? 2018-03-24 15:28:39

I'd say that I believe in god. I just wish to meet him

Response to Do you believe in God? 2018-03-24 16:29:50

Yes.

Phimosis

Response to Do you believe in God? 2018-03-25 12:52:55

I don't care about God or religion

Response to Do you believe in God? 2018-03-25 17:12:55

God is such a dick.

BBS Signature