00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

takoluka just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Playstation Amiibos announced!

1,367 Views | 18 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Well, sort of.

There's no NFC capability, but the new 'Totaku' figure series aims to bring Playstation mascots to life in the form of small plastic non-articulated figures at $9.99 each. They're not Sony's own creation either but a licensed series by ThinkGeek. Available March 23.

The launch lineup includes:

-Sackboy from LittleBigPlanet
-Feisar FX350 from Wipeout
-Crash Bandicoot
-Heihachi Mishima from Tekken (Tekken 7 version)
-The Hunter from Bloodborne
-Parappa The Rapper

Gamestop also lists an unannounced Kratos figure, based on the 2018 version.

article, reveal video

What do you think, would you get one?

Is the lack of NFC a letdown or was that a dead fad anyway?

Would a Totaku beat an Amiibo in a fight?

and

What characters would you like to see join the lineup?

Playstation Amiibos announced!

Response to Playstation Amiibos announced! 2018-01-25 02:11:17

i'm not a collector at all, but it is cool to see classic Playstation mascots and characters made into official figurines. they look pretty nice. figures they need:

Spyro the dragon
a Helghast soldier
Cloud, Barret, Tifa, Sephiroth, Aerith (i don't even like ff7 but this is an obvious one)
Sonic is licensing to all three major consoles so they might have the rights to throw him in
Solid Snake and Metal Gear Rex and Ray
Nightmare from Soul Caliber

that's off the top of my head

Newest track: Savant - Upbeat Melodic Metal - Frontpaged!

BBS Signature

Response to Playstation Amiibos announced! 2018-01-25 18:22:04

Oh these look kinda nifty I like my pop characters though but these do look nice too

~X~

~X~ (FOLLOW-ME)

[] The Top Reviewer Since 2002 [] COMIC >> WAYNES WORLD

BBS Signature

Response to Playstation Amiibos announced! 2018-01-25 22:25:10

I want a sly cooper and Jak and Daxter.

I HДVЗИ'T ЭДTЗЙ SLICЭD ЬЯЗДD SIИCЭ I ШДS TЩЗLVЭ

BBS Signature

Response to Playstation Amiibos announced! 2018-01-30 18:18:07

Is that what they call plastic figures nowadays?

At least Nintendo's have a software component built right in.

I've never owned one so I don't know for sure.

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Response to Playstation Amiibos announced! 2018-01-30 19:12:47

At 1/24/18 03:20 PM, Jackho wrote: What characters would you like to see join the lineup?

Jak and Daxter would be amazing. Maybe an Ashelin and Keira as well from the same game series.

It's only fun if you get a scar out of it

Team Fortress 2 club

BBS Signature

Response to Playstation Amiibos announced! 2018-01-30 19:45:13

At 1/24/18 03:20 PM, Jackho wrote: What do you think, would you get one?

Maybe, but they’re only good for collecting I guess. That’s it primarily.

Is the lack of NFC a letdown or was that a dead fad anyway?

Hardly anyone was using it anyway, so the fad has long since died when people started to collect them and not use them.

Would a Totaku beat an Amiibo in a fight?

I dunno, probably.

What characters would you like to see join the lineup?

Amaterasu (Okami)
Joker (Persona 5)
Aloy (Horizon Zero Dawn)
Helghast soldier (Killzone)
Solid Snake and Cyborg Raiden (Metal Gear Solid)
Ragna the Bloodedge and Susanoo (Blazblue)
Hatsune Miku (Hatsune Miku)

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature

Response to Playstation Amiibos announced! 2018-01-31 05:31:07

Did they announce cardboard VR?

I don't think so.

Noggleton is so cool lol

BBS Signature

Response to Playstation Amiibos announced! 2018-01-31 15:54:35

If they make one based on Cole MacGrath, i would definetly buy one!

Alien Hominid rocks, and no one can say that it's false!

Response to Playstation Amiibos announced! 2018-02-01 03:03:33

At 1/25/18 02:12 PM, CoolCatDaddio wrote: oh great, because it totally wasn't fucking stupid when nintendo made amiibos

Don't forget Skylanders, Disney Infinity, and Lego Dimensions or you know basically anything on this page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toys-to-life

I consider it in the same line with DLC, expansions packs, and pay-to-win. You are locked out of playing or using certain game content unless you also buy some external additional purchases, which in this case is the figures. It falls under "dick move" territory.

Want to play Flash games on Newgrounds again? See here

Response to Playstation Amiibos announced! 2018-02-01 13:38:30

At 2/1/18 03:03 AM, NeonSpider wrote:
At 1/25/18 02:12 PM, CoolCatDaddio wrote: oh great, because it totally wasn't fucking stupid when nintendo made amiibos
Don't forget Skylanders, Disney Infinity, and Lego Dimensions or you know basically anything on this page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toys-to-life

I consider it in the same line with DLC, expansions packs, and pay-to-win. You are locked out of playing or using certain game content unless you also buy some external additional purchases, which in this case is the figures. It falls under "dick move" territory.

Yeah it'd be cool if they were just collectable merch (which you can already get.)
I have a huge problem with planned external payment in games, I want to be able to pay for the base game and play the base game.
DLC later is fine but just not when it's being made along side the actual game, then you should just put it in the damn game standard.
And don't get me started on microtransactions and lootboxes.

Response to Playstation Amiibos announced! 2018-02-01 14:00:40

At 2/1/18 01:38 PM, DanielTheManiel wrote: Yeah it'd be cool if they were just collectable merch (which you can already get.)
I have a huge problem with planned external payment in games, I want to be able to pay for the base game and play the base game.
DLC later is fine but just not when it's being made along side the actual game, then you should just put it in the damn game standard.
And don't get me started on microtransactions and lootboxes.

DLC (unless it's free) is never fine. If they release some DLC for an existing game then it's still locking you out of content in a game you paid for, even if the DLC was made years later. If they want to release it for free to everyone who has the original game, that's the only acceptable case.

And yes collectible figures are cool in their own right, but when ownership of these figures becomes a prerequisite for game content (even if the game content is simply you can play as that character in-game) then it's a problem *unless* all figures the game was ever going to work with actually come prepackaged with the game if purchased new.

If you want to put some gimmicky thing in a game, but you also include the gimmicky thing with purchase of the game? That's fine. Sucks for used game purchases as you may not have all the items the game was supposed to have, but can't fault the game company on that one as that's entirely on whoever the former owner was.

Response to Playstation Amiibos announced! 2018-02-01 14:08:11

At 2/1/18 02:00 PM, NeonSpider wrote: DLC (unless it's free) is never fine. If they release some DLC for an existing game then it's still locking you out of content in a game you paid for, even if the DLC was made years later. If they want to release it for free to everyone who has the original game, that's the only acceptable case.

I just think that if the developers release a large DLC with let's say an entire new story line it's understandable that they'd want to get some money from it.
I'd rather it all be in the base game but deadlines and budgets can easily get content cut out.

But yeah, I would much prefer it be in the base game or free.
Sadly big AAA companies like EA only look at dollar signs instead of happy consumers.

Response to Playstation Amiibos announced! 2018-02-02 00:00:47

At 2/1/18 02:08 PM, DanielTheManiel wrote: consumers.

Here's the key problem right here. Notice how companies more and more use the term "consumers" rather than the term "customers"? It says they don't respect you. You're just something which consumes, rather than a valuable customer they wish to keep.

But it doesn't help that a large amount of people just buy a bunch of crap. All of these problems could be avoided entirely if the public at large simply exercised better discretion in purchase decisions. Why can companies get away with disrespecting the people who buy their stuff? Because too many people are spineless and don't bother properly voting with their wallets, such that it doesn't matter even if you do properly vote with your wallet because too many other people haven't.

In short, it's still profitable. If people outright refused to do business with such companies it would no longer be profitable, companies like that would go out of business, and we'd have overall better companies to work with. I blame consumer culture as it's definitely a cultural problem.

Response to Playstation Amiibos announced! 2018-02-02 16:37:20

I don't know, as much as I love amiibos, I think that NFC functionality is a thing of the past. I like the idea that Playstation is making their own collectible figures, therefore giving recognition to older franchises, but I'd honestly much rather have a new game for their old series than a collectible figurine.

Response to Playstation Amiibos announced! 2018-02-09 06:53:57

Looks pretty cool! Wouldn't collect stuff like this, but fun to see some of the old classics in the mix. Spyro and Cloud would be nice...

The latest: Hexa #97 (May)

BBS Signature

Response to Playstation Amiibos announced! 2018-03-12 19:15:51

Despite half of y'all being a bunch of joykills I'm gonna bump this as they've since revealed more of the lineup

7. Kratos (God of War 4 ver.)
8. Atreus (God of War 4)
9. Evan (Ni no Kuni Ii)
10. Sonic the Hedgehog
11. Gold Hoarder (Sea of Theives)
12. Jin Kazama (Tekken 7)

Notice there's a Sea of Theives character, so not only is this not limited to "Sony characters" but they're even doing Microsoft exclusives.

I also like how Sonic is based on his classic, pre-3D form.

https://www.mytotaku.com/en/Figure

Also just realizing I never responded with what figures I'd like to see. I do have a few amiibos but I'm not really interested in the standard characters, I'm more into little oddities like ROB and the 8-bit mario, but then I feel absolutely nothing for 99% of nintendo's characters so there's little to get me interested.

I'm more interested in these already but I'd definitely pull the trigger if they started doing some more obscure characters. Or even just random unappreciated characters/enemies in popular series.

Anyway here's what I want to see

-Final Fantasy characters. I know there's already a Cloud amiibo but I'd buy most of the cast of VII, IX and X, and what I'd love in partcular is a Cloud Strife figure that's actually based on his original dumpy in-game character model rather than the more recent artwork.

-Literally every Oddworld character

-Low Poly Lara Croft, Crash Bandicoot. Cloud Strife, Solid Snake etc.

-more Bloodborne creatures

And some more straight forward characters/franchises:
-Coco Bandicoot
-Resident Evil (inc. the bosses!)
-Maximo
-Dante
-Ratcher & Clank
-Journey
-Jak and Daxter
-Klonoa
-Persona chars.
-Alucard from SoTN
-Raziel from Legacy of Kain
-2B from Nier Automata

Since they've branched out to figures less associated with the Playstation brand I'd love to see the likes of The Witcher, Bioshock, too

Response to Playstation Amiibos announced! 2018-03-17 23:58:32

I dont understand the appeal in these