00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

LOCKdev just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Ceevro's Singalong Collab is BACK!!

5,952 Views | 92 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Ceevro's Singalong Collab is BACK!! 2017-12-02 09:15:19

Oh sweet! We got a bass! I could also record some classical style solos if need be! Might be a good counterpoint to the electric, if you were to do some splicing!

@FinnMK @Ceevro
To help settle things down, I did a mini demo of a demo. This has no changes made to mixing, apart from a 3-5db cut in high frequencies and panning. The lead vocals now all have an echo added to them.
You can see now that it will work with all vocals included if you give me a chance to mix it fully. None of the voices compete if done this way and instead we have a song which is interesting throughout.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8vc161g5zoyards/Ahead%20By%20A%20Century%20006.mp3?dl=0

I went through and made an initial choice on which parts of peoples' recordings made the most sense for the song at this section and put them "forwards" (centre, louder, more high frequencies).
2:10 - 2:20 this is what it sounds like if everything is put "backwards", leaving space for me to do a lead here later.
Bare in mind, I have done 0 work on automation here so the levels are all wrong.

This by NO MEANS reflects the final product, but I wanted to show you what I can do in 45 minutes of fiddling around. The final mix will be a good 8-10 hours mixing to make it perfect.

Here's a screenshot for you to see what I'm doing.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/oyqh5kk1ukuvvhl/Screenie.png?dl=0

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! Veteran REAPER user. Ready to rock! :)

BBS Signature

Response to Ceevro's Singalong Collab is BACK!! 2017-12-03 16:10:24

https://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/71335e263b132ecb46c519d051ef1ceb

Bass. Starts at measure 3. Please let me know if I royally screwed up because I'm at BAM and I had to get up and go pee in the middle. @Ceevro @MetalRenard

Your source for monthly music producer freebies here // Take My Cymbals // ALL my big sample projects, FREE

I do professional audio critique & commissions. Catch me on YT and X! If you got music, I'll playlist you!

BBS Signature

Response to Ceevro's Singalong Collab is BACK!! 2017-12-03 18:03:35

Wow! OK. Well.

Oh me of little faith!

Response to Ceevro's Singalong Collab is BACK!! 2017-12-04 12:08:23

Also @MetalRenard, make sure that you do up a mix with the claps and bass! I want to add my own organic percs, but I need to know what's already there!

Response to Ceevro's Singalong Collab is BACK!! 2017-12-04 12:45:26

At 12/4/17 12:08 PM, Ceevro wrote: Also @MetalRenard, make sure that you do up a mix with the claps and bass! I want to add my own organic percs, but I need to know what's already there!

Ok will do. I'll work on it asap.

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! Veteran REAPER user. Ready to rock! :)

BBS Signature

At 12/2/17 04:23 AM, ADR3-N wrote: You said you need bass? I'll see what I can do.
What is everything sounding like so far. Still safe to run off of the original backing?

Hey, I didn't realise when you offered to do the bass that you meant with a VST that isn't particularly realistic sounding. I thought you meant a real bass, recording etc.
If this is what you've got then I'd much rather record the real thing. I hope you can understand. I feel bad saying this but I feel it doesn't work in the song.

BBS Signature

Response to Ceevro's Singalong Collab is BACK!! 2017-12-06 17:12:51

@Ceevro
Added some claps. Added my vocals.
Here are my vocals without FX.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vihpbn7zxnmdf4k/Ahead%20By%20A%20Century%20MetalRenard%20Vox.mp3?dl=0
Here is the most recent update. Version 007! The name's Bond...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/i28rv9bl3l1tawt/Ahead%20By%20A%20Century%20007.mp3?dl=0

BBS Signature

Response to Ceevro's Singalong Collab is BACK!! 2017-12-06 17:28:51

At 12/6/17 05:12 PM, MetalRenard wrote: Here is the most recent update. Version 007! The name's Bond...

This sounds so damn good! *ahem* Excellent work, Mr. Bond.

Response to Ceevro's Singalong Collab is BACK!! 2017-12-06 17:53:26

Your services are appreciated. Remember, if you are caught, Ceevro will deny your existence.

But that gives me an idea of what's needed on the percs. I'll see what I can get done over the weekend.

Response to Ceevro's Singalong Collab is BACK!! 2017-12-07 09:03:40

At 12/4/17 02:50 PM, MetalRenard wrote: Hey, I didn't realise when you offered to do the bass that you meant with a VST that isn't particularly realistic sounding. I thought you meant a real bass, recording etc.

Yup, sorry -- all I got unless you want something recorded with no DI box. Although I could have done a little more work on making the attacks and releases less uniform.

If this is what you've got then I'd much rather record the real thing. I hope you can understand. I feel bad saying this but I feel it doesn't work in the song.

Either way is fine with me

Your source for monthly music producer freebies here // Take My Cymbals // ALL my big sample projects, FREE

I do professional audio critique & commissions. Catch me on YT and X! If you got music, I'll playlist you!

BBS Signature

Response to Ceevro's Singalong Collab is BACK!! 2017-12-07 15:42:28

At 12/7/17 09:03 AM, ADR3-N wrote: Either way is fine with me

Ok then. If nobody else steps up, I have a bass guitar so I'll record something on that. Thanks again, anyway!

BBS Signature

Started doing pre-mixing prep work, figuring out how and where I want things to sit in the mix. Scooped out space for a bass guitar, cleaned up all the vocals, did some edits to make things fit even more, mixed the claps, updated every EQ available, started adding group compression to steady things out and shape the sound.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cb0ky8qlflf8vfx/Ahead%20By%20A%20Century%20008.mp3?dl=0

This is just me experimenting at this stage with where I want it to go. I thought I'd upload it to keep you guys motivated and excited. I believe this will be the last update you get beside the "percussion" update Ceevro is recording. Enjoy! I have exciting plans for this... No spoilers!

BBS Signature

Response to Ceevro's Singalong Collab is BACK!! 2017-12-14 22:39:36

Haven't heard a peep from this thread for a while now. Status update?

Response to Ceevro's Singalong Collab is BACK!! 2017-12-15 02:15:24

At 12/14/17 10:39 PM, ChronoNomad wrote: Haven't heard a peep from this thread for a while now. Status update?

Awaiting percussion from @Ceevro so I can record bass! ^_^
Once that's done I'll do a proper mix and then it's finished.

BBS Signature

Response to Ceevro's Singalong Collab is BACK!! 2017-12-15 09:40:20

Awaiting percussion from @Ceevro so I can record bass! ^_^
Once that's done I'll do a proper mix and then it's finished.

Sorry about that! I'm getting right on it! This has been one crazy week...I won't go into details, but suffice it to say that it's been a rather sick one...but I'm better now!

Response to Ceevro's Singalong Collab is BACK!! 2017-12-15 15:11:36

@Metalrenard the work is done!

Look for a guitar kick, GOT Book hihat, and snaps in THE ORIGINAL FOLDER!!!

At 12/15/17 03:11 PM, Ceevro wrote: the work is done!

Awesome! I love the rhythm, definitely something to play bass to.
Get well soon!!!

BBS Signature

Response to Ceevro's Singalong Collab is BACK!! 2017-12-16 12:49:37

Consider this less polished than previous versions - I've started over.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/osmble64fu6cpka/Ahead%20By%20A%20Century%20011.mp3?dl=0

So... Spoilers... I've gone for a full-on CAMP FIRE sing along that transitions into a studio recording setting. Have a listen, let me know your thoughts.

BBS Signature

Response to Ceevro's Singalong Collab is BACK!! 2017-12-17 06:01:03

Mud in the vocals clashing with the instruments was bothering me. I only had 20 minutes but I made a quick sweep through and fixed that.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8qbxy6jy68wnkvu/Ahead%20By%20A%20Century%20012.mp3?dl=0

Still not finished in any way. I need to go through everything at least a few more times and then it will need to be mastered.

BBS Signature

Response to Ceevro's Singalong Collab is BACK!! 2017-12-17 10:16:03

At 12/17/17 06:01 AM, MetalRenard wrote: Mud in the vocals clashing with the instruments was bothering me. I only had 20 minutes but I made a quick sweep through and fixed that.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8qbxy6jy68wnkvu/Ahead%20By%20A%20Century%20012.mp3?dl=0

Still not finished in any way. I need to go through everything at least a few more times and then it will need to be mastered.

I'm noticing some high overtones in the bass that sound...springy. Kinda detracts from the overall sound of everything. Maybe reduce the highs in the bass a little? Or go with a smoother amp/pedal? Just my thoughts...

Y'know, I get that the whole "This is our life" echo (1:31~1:39) is part of the original song, but...

I ABSOLUTELY HATE IT!

It straight up sounds terrible, and quite frankly mars what is otherwise an excellent song. That was my opinion upon my first listen, and I feel even more strongly about it now.

Welp, that's my two centavos. Carry on.

Response to Ceevro's Singalong Collab is BACK!! 2017-12-18 07:46:31

Hey everyone! I'm popping in here out of nowhere just to say that I'm so glad that this is still going. I randomly listened to the old singalongs the other day and felt a massive wave of nostalgia and pride slap me right across my face, so coming on here and seeing another singalong has been a real treat, even if I'm not able to contribute this time.

Massive props to you all!

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature

Response to Ceevro's Singalong Collab is BACK!! 2017-12-18 12:53:25

At 12/18/17 07:46 AM, Step wrote: Hey everyone! I'm popping in here out of nowhere just to say that I'm so glad that this is still going. I randomly listened to the old singalongs the other day and felt a massive wave of nostalgia and pride slap me right across my face, so coming on here and seeing another singalong has been a real treat, even if I'm not able to contribute this time.

Massive props to you all!

We all love you, and miss you a great deal, Step! This has been a long ride, and this singalong required special permissions due to the new AudioPortal regulations, but your work in previous singalongs was certainly helpful in convincing the powers-that-be to let this thing go ahead. Maybe next time we do something like this, we can get you in front of the mic, instead of behind it!

Thanks for the feedback folks - definitely still need to work on the bass clashing. It's just so buttery warm, I wanted to keep it around for a while. ^_^
Fixed it now, anyway.

At 12/17/17 12:17 PM, ChronoNomad wrote: Y'know, I get that the whole "This is our life" echo (1:31~1:39) is part of the original song, but...

I ABSOLUTELY HATE IT!

What's the consensus on this from the others?
@Ceevro @liljim @FinnMK
Also, Ceevro, could you ask Seneka? Is she monitoring this project anyway, since she contributed to it?

What about this version, I've turned that part way down. It's still there so you can get the rhythm of it. Just wondering if it's that quiet if it's worth keeping. Vote time!
https://www.dropbox.com/s/v2vuknsebljqlm9/Ahead%20By%20A%20Century%20013.mp3?dl=0

Tagging you, @ChronoNomad so you are aware of the question.

BBS Signature

Response to Ceevro's Singalong Collab is BACK!! 2017-12-18 17:45:46

OK...I actually like the "This is our life" thing...so maybe a slight boost to make sure it's still there. Also, I am noticing that the vocals are at nearly double what the guitars are in terms of volume...personally, I'd like to make the instruments pop just a little more...so if it were me, I'd give them an extra 10% volume.

But that's me, and I often get flak for putting too much guitar and not enough vocal in my mixes...so take with a shaker of salt!

@Seneka40 is aware of what's going on with the project, but has been incredibly busy this week, so I can't promise I can get a response from her. I'll give it a shot, though! I'll also ask Quinn, if I can get ahold of her.

Response to Ceevro's Singalong Collab is BACK!! 2017-12-18 18:01:34

What's the consensus on this from the others?

Yes, sorry! I have a bad habit of lurking. I've been reading everything and staying up to date. As far as the latest mix goes, pretty neat! It's cool to hear things coming together and hearing the group effort. Some bits and bobs of notes:
- I like the idea of the ambient noise in the first minute or so, but it seems a bit overpowering right now.
- maybe a touch more echo on that first 'this is our life'. I agree with you that it may as well have some presence if it's to be there at all.
- I could stand to hear more of the piano. Maybe I'm biased because I recorded it, but it seems like I'm barely hearing it in the mix. Especially in parts like 2:31 - 2:47 where the piano is arguably carrying the melody, I feel like it could be way punched up in volume.
- the kick could have a little more presence.

Otherwise, neato burrito.

All good feedback that I'll act on. ^_^
I've been mixing this for too long so I'm starting to lose perspective. Anyone care to master it once it's done? Usually it's best to have a different person master... But only if that person has the tools and knowledge.

BBS Signature

Response to Ceevro's Singalong Collab is BACK!! 2017-12-18 18:40:03

Tagging you, @ChronoNomad so you are aware of the question.

Seems like I'm the minority on this one. Just not my kind of dissonance, I guess. Personally, I found it more tolerable with less presence, but c'est la vie.

Admittedly, I'd feel bad for the guy who recorded that section if we just left it out, so let's just pretend that I never said anything at all. Cool?

Cool.

Response to Ceevro's Singalong Collab is BACK!! 2017-12-18 19:23:34

I've been mixing this for too long so I'm starting to lose perspective. Anyone care to master it once it's done? Usually it's best to have a different person master... But only if that person has the tools and knowledge.

I'm happy to give the mastering a go. I'm no superstar but I've been mastering all my own music for the last couple of years.