00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

ItsJaron just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The DWJ 2017 ANIMATION COMPETITION!

31,294 Views | 503 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The DWJ 2017 ANIMATION COMPETITION! 2017-10-21 09:56:34

At 10/20/17 12:19 PM, CartoonyCartoons wrote: The countdown begins...I'm fu***d lol

I'm on the same train with you, time for some miracle work, am I right?

Crazy Artist, Roboticist and Programmer... that's about it.

Response to The DWJ 2017 ANIMATION COMPETITION! 2017-10-21 10:20:33

At 10/21/17 09:56 AM, TheDyingSun wrote:
At 10/20/17 12:19 PM, CartoonyCartoons wrote: The countdown begins...I'm fu***d lol

Damn right your right

Response to The DWJ 2017 ANIMATION COMPETITION! 2017-10-21 10:25:29

At 10/21/17 10:20 AM, CartoonyCartoons wrote:
At 10/21/17 09:56 AM, TheDyingSun wrote:
Damn right your right

its okay guys we can do this started yesterday :O

DJP

BBS Signature

Response to The DWJ 2017 ANIMATION COMPETITION! 2017-10-21 12:11:10

At 10/20/17 08:55 AM, Jinastator wrote: This might be my final WIp! Added my shadow and effects! Good luck to everyone, you have 5 days left :D

Well, that is one of the most incredible entries I've seen for this, and I am 100% certain you're placing in the top three.

Response to The DWJ 2017 ANIMATION COMPETITION! 2017-10-21 16:47:47

My WIP is finally finished! Time to add fire effects and the rest in 4 days! Time for a miracle folks!
Not sure how well it will load for you guys, but otherwise, how is it?

Crazy Artist, Roboticist and Programmer... that's about it.

Response to The DWJ 2017 ANIMATION COMPETITION! 2017-10-21 20:26:35

At 10/18/17 10:35 AM, Jinastator wrote: Here's a WIP! One week left and there's still so much to do! Good luck to every finishing theirs!

Hey can anyone tell me which category to enter, he STRICTLY say to only enter the Beginner if your young (14 and under I guess which I'm not) or very new to art/ animation which I am. I have had no training and only decided to teach myself a month ago and looking at some of the other entries it doesn't look like I should even be trying :/
Im really hoping to win the animation foundation book to help learn, but am fearing not even making finalist on the open category. only cos I see clearly people who are not newbies entering beginner and are over 20 years old is why I ask?

DJP

BBS Signature

Response to The DWJ 2017 ANIMATION COMPETITION! 2017-10-21 20:53:58

I'm basically done with my entry, but I'm struggling with youtube's upload.
My files keep getting artifacts and color loss after they're up.
Anyone have experience with this?

At 10/21/17 08:53 PM, Bloxus wrote: I'm basically done with my entry, but I'm struggling with youtube's upload.

Which software are you using? It is also possible that youtube has not yet finished processing the video.

Response to The DWJ 2017 ANIMATION COMPETITION! 2017-10-21 21:45:47

At 10/21/17 09:04 PM, Grimik wrote:
At 10/21/17 08:53 PM, Bloxus wrote: I'm basically done with my entry, but I'm struggling with youtube's upload.
Which software are you using? It is also possible that youtube has not yet finished processing the video.

direct export from Clip Studio Paint and a looped version processed through Premiere.
I wasn't aware Youtube had some sort of post processing thing. How long does that usually take?

Response to The DWJ 2017 ANIMATION COMPETITION! 2017-10-21 21:52:18

At 10/21/17 08:26 PM, JackJohns wrote:
At 10/18/17 10:35 AM, Jinastator wrote: Here's a WIP! One week left and there's still so much to do! Good luck to every finishing theirs!
Hey can anyone tell me which category to enter, he STRICTLY say to only enter the Beginner if your young (14 and under I guess which I'm not) or very new to art/ animation which I am. I have had no training and only decided to teach myself a month ago and looking at some of the other entries it doesn't look like I should even be trying :/
Im really hoping to win the animation foundation book to help learn, but am fearing not even making finalist on the open category. only cos I see clearly people who are not newbies entering beginner and are over 20 years old is why I ask?

You really shouldn't worry about the ones that enter de beginners category that are overqualified since Jazza disqualifies them. Whenever someone enters de beginners category, but are too good for that he either drops them from the contest or moves them to the open category (I've only seen that happen once).
Just enter in whichever you feel most confortable.

At 10/21/17 09:45 PM, Bloxus wrote:
At 10/21/17 09:04 PM, Grimik wrote:
direct export from Clip Studio Paint and a looped version processed through Premiere.
I wasn't aware Youtube had some sort of post processing thing. How long does that usually take?

If it's too short it shouldn't take too long, the video still looks bad? in that case it may have to do with your export options in premiere. Unfortunately I don't use that program, but you can search in google, the best options to export a video for youtube in premiere.

Something like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FbTsk_3QD4

Response to The DWJ 2017 ANIMATION COMPETITION! 2017-10-21 23:02:17

At 10/21/17 09:55 PM, Grimik wrote:
If it's too short it shouldn't take too long, the video still looks bad? in that case it may have to do with your export options in premiere. Unfortunately I don't use that program, but you can search in google, the best options to export a video for youtube in premiere.

Something like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FbTsk_3QD4

Hmm, helped a little, thanks. Still a bit fuzzy, and still has some color offset though.

Response to The DWJ 2017 ANIMATION COMPETITION! 2017-10-21 23:47:19

Wooo Hoooo! Finally finished mine! And ahead of schedule too! I might not yet send the email to Jazza just in case I still need to do some changes to it though. Good luck to everyone else, ya got 3 days :D Also to the people asking for a link to the finished product its here > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbNZEsqQDZA&feature=youtu.be making it into a gif kinda ruins the colors

Response to The DWJ 2017 ANIMATION COMPETITION! 2017-10-22 01:00:11

At 10/21/17 11:47 PM, Jinastator wrote: Wooo Hoooo! Finally finished mine! And ahead of schedule too!

I tip my hat to you! This is marvellous!!! I'm seriously loving your animation, here! :)

Response to The DWJ 2017 ANIMATION COMPETITION! 2017-10-22 01:15:04

At 10/21/17 11:47 PM, Jinastator wrote: Wooo Hoooo! Finally finished mine! And ahead of schedule too! I might not yet send the email to Jazza just in case I still need to do some changes to it though. Good luck to everyone else, ya got 3 days :D Also to the people asking for a link to the finished product its here > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbNZEsqQDZA&feature=youtu.be making it into a gif kinda ruins the colors

First, this looks amazing. The motion and the design are incredible, one of the best that I'v seen so far.
Second... I think you should consider changing the colors, or at least the values. They blend too much. Is's a detail that's hard to notice for the one doing the artwork since your eyes adapted themselves to distinguish those colors. It's easier to see if you squint your eyes, or use the color picker to see the value (you know, how close it is to black). Although, it could be just my monitor and your piece it's totally fine.

Good luck!

Response to The DWJ 2017 ANIMATION COMPETITION! 2017-10-22 03:14:30

At 10/22/17 01:15 AM, Libernico wrote:
First, this looks amazing. The motion and the design are incredible, one of the best that I'v seen so far.
Second... I think you should consider changing the colors, or at least the values. They blend too much. Is's a detail that's hard to notice for the one doing the artwork since your eyes adapted themselves to distinguish those colors. It's easier to see if you squint your eyes, or use the color picker to see the value (you know, how close it is to black). Although, it could be just my monitor and your piece it's totally fine.

Good luck!

I was aiming for a little bit grayish rotting tone with the overall tone of the piece, do you think increasing the saturations of the colors will improve it?

At 10/22/17 03:14 AM, Jinastator wrote:

Good luck!
I was aiming for a little bit grayish rotting tone with the overall tone of the piece, do you think increasing the saturations of the colors will improve it?

I think it will. The first time I watched it the vest and the pants blended and I could only see a one piece outfit.
If you want to keep the values you could change the hue.
The thing is that your animation is amazing and the current colors make it hard to appreciate the hole movement because of the colors.
I believe that you can achieve a rotting tone with another color palette. If you have time I suggest you too look for one.

(EDIT: the colors of the skin, blood, eyes, shirt and the hat are good. The hair, pants and vest blend with the outline and with/or each other, which makes it a bit confusing)

Response to The DWJ 2017 ANIMATION COMPETITION! 2017-10-22 05:28:17

My animation is created in adobe animate cc, but i dont know how to export the looping animation. Can annyone help?

Response to The DWJ 2017 ANIMATION COMPETITION! 2017-10-22 05:40:39

At 10/22/17 03:41 AM, Libernico wrote:
I think it will. The first time I watched it the vest and the pants blended and I could only see a one piece outfit.
The thing is that your animation is amazing and the current colors make it hard to appreciate the hole movement because of the colors.
I believe that you can achieve a rotting tone with another color palette. If you have time I suggest you too look for one.

(EDIT: the colors of the skin, blood, eyes, shirt and the hat are good. The hair, pants and vest blend with the outline and with/or each other, which makes it a bit confusing)

I did some changes! https://youtu.be/XwbYWzaMSvI waddya think? I increased the saturation a little bit and changed the pants and hair colors as you suggested :D

Response to The DWJ 2017 ANIMATION COMPETITION! 2017-10-22 06:25:48

At 10/22/17 05:40 AM, Jinastator wrote:

I did some changes! https://youtu.be/XwbYWzaMSvI waddya think? I increased the saturation a little bit and changed the pants and hair colors as you suggested :D

Looks a lot better.

PD: Seeing that you can change the color so fast I would suggest you to explore other colors, mostly for the fun of it.
PD2: Your animation helped me a lot in understanding how to do do a loop dance. Thank you so much for sharing your process.

Response to The DWJ 2017 ANIMATION COMPETITION! 2017-10-22 07:21:53

At 10/22/17 06:25 AM, Libernico wrote:
At 10/22/17 05:40 AM, Jinastator wrote:

Looks a lot better.

PD: Seeing that you can change the color so fast I would suggest you to explore other colors, mostly for the fun of it.
PD2: Your animation helped me a lot in understanding how to do do a loop dance. Thank you so much for sharing your process.

I did already explored other color palettes yet this one was the most appealing one to me, others looked liked a marching band and sailor outfits :D Too colorful for a zombie one. The reason why it was easy to change was I have a color palette where you can change any color and it updates all the colors on each frame. It actually just took me up to 10 minutes to choose and change colors, rendering just took to long :P Also thanks!

Response to The DWJ 2017 ANIMATION COMPETITION! 2017-10-22 07:47:57

Guys I've exported my animation as a test, even if I export the 120 frames at 30fps the video file reads 5 seconds even if it's supposed to be 4. I think its because it cuts off right when the 4 seconds end and reads it as 5 for some reason, but is it something that could get me disqualified?

Response to The DWJ 2017 ANIMATION COMPETITION! 2017-10-22 08:04:52

At 10/22/17 07:47 AM, CartoonyCartoons wrote: Guys I've exported my animation as a test, even if I export the 120 frames at 30fps the video file reads 5 seconds even if it's supposed to be 4. I think its because it cuts off right when the 4 seconds end and reads it as 5 for some reason, but is it something that could get me disqualified?

I don't think so. In the video jazza says that you may loop your animation the number of times you want (I imagine that fractions count). He put a maximum (of 1 min per video), but not a minimum. Still, If you have the time, try playing around with the program you are using because maybe it's not actually rendering at 30 fps, but at 24fps. For example, I know that toon boom has that problem (it happened to me last year).

At 10/22/17 07:47 AM, CartoonyCartoons wrote: Guys I've exported my animation as a test, even if I export the 120 frames at 30fps the video file reads 5 seconds even if it's supposed to be 4. I think its because it cuts off right when the 4 seconds end and reads it as 5 for some reason, but is it something that could get me disqualified?

I think you may have a problem with frame rate, in 24 frames per second, 120 frames are exactly 5 seconds, just in case, check that it's 30 frames per second. If that's not the problem, you should play it safe and upload it and share it here to see if it works before submiting it.

Response to The DWJ 2017 ANIMATION COMPETITION! 2017-10-22 08:32:08

At 10/22/17 08:04 AM, Libernico wrote:
I don't think so. In the video jazza says that you may loop your animation the number of times you want (I imagine that fractions count). He put a maximum (of 1 min per video), but not a minimum. Still, If you have the time, try playing around with the program you are using because maybe it's not actually rendering at 30 fps, but at 24fps. For example, I know that toon boom has that problem (it happened to me last year).

I am using toomboom and for the first time. Here is the animation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggej-Fa0qpE&feature=youtu.be

And the settings say 30 fps unless I also need to change something else.

Response to The DWJ 2017 ANIMATION COMPETITION! 2017-10-22 08:34:39

I think you may have a problem with frame rate, in 24 frames per second, 120 frames are exactly 5 seconds, just in case, check that it's 30 frames per second. If that's not the problem, you should play it safe and upload it and share it here to see if it works before submiting it.

Posted some stuff

Response to The DWJ 2017 ANIMATION COMPETITION! 2017-10-22 08:52:33

At 10/22/17 08:34 AM, CartoonyCartoons wrote:
Posted some stuff

The render movie settings can be independent from scene settings, so you should check the scene part: it´s on Scene>Scene settings> (my version is on spanish but it shouldn´t have a very different name) and there you should be able to change the frame rate.

Response to The DWJ 2017 ANIMATION COMPETITION! 2017-10-22 08:56:28

The render movie settings can be independent from scene settings, so you should check the scene part: it´s on Scene>Scene settings> (my version is on spanish but it shouldn´t have a very different name) and there you should be able to change the frame rate.

yup that fixed it! Thank you so much!

Response to The DWJ 2017 ANIMATION COMPETITION! 2017-10-22 09:17:04

Here's what I have so far.
Also, I uploaded a test here to make sure krita was working properly.

I think it's about 75% done.
I still have to clean it up a little, add shadows and replace the marks in the head and chest to make it more interesting (I'm open to suggestions).
What do you think?

Everyone is finishing their entries, while I'm just trying to come up with a design, I'm so fu***d up lol.