00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

VoydSyren just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

N G A U C Tryout Thread 2016

42,928 Views | 725 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to N G A U C Tryout Thread 2016 2016-07-13 06:01:40

Ha! I don't swear, but I don't care if anyone else does. I definitely won't take off points. :P

Good! I swear, but when I do, I have a good reason for doing so.

Response to N G A U C Tryout Thread 2016 2016-07-13 08:57:38

So I don't believe anyone has stated exactly when the next round starts... assuming we get the standard two weeks to make a new track, is it going to be sometime today? Or first thing tomorrow?

hey man, you uh you got something on your face right there, lemme just... ok, there we go, MUCH better, you are looking GOOD AS NEW

Response to N G A U C Tryout Thread 2016 2016-07-13 10:17:04

At 7/9/16 11:52 AM, TaintedLogic wrote:
I'm going to move @Rahmemhotep to the Prof. Amateurs. Thank you for noticing that. ;)

Awww... lol :P

Response to N G A U C Tryout Thread 2016 2016-07-13 12:12:25

At 7/13/16 08:57 AM, 1f1n1ty wrote: So I don't believe anyone has stated exactly when the next round starts... assuming we get the standard two weeks to make a new track, is it going to be sometime today? Or first thing tomorrow?

The next round starts on the 16th. Everyone who makes it into that round will be tagged in the new thread. I'm going to update the rules on my news feed to include all of this information right now.

@Ceevro @Johnfn Perhaps I should've made it clearer that I was joking about Johnfn being "squirrely around swear words." I highly doubt that any of the judges will dock points because of crude lyrics. ;)

"Time's fun when you're having flies." ~Kermit the Frog

BBS Signature

Response to N G A U C Tryout Thread 2016 2016-07-13 16:08:30

At 7/13/16 03:48 PM, MrSmash64 wrote: question - if i make it into the next round, can i share my submission to soundcloud, youtube, etc... alongside NG?

Yes. You don't have to upload your songs for the contest EXCLUSIVELY to Newgrounds, but the track you provide for the judges to score should be a link to the song on Newgrounds. :)

BBS Signature

Response to N G A U C Tryout Thread 2016 2016-07-13 18:06:03

Unfortunately, @Neverwinter2274450 has been disqualified for submitting a track that does not comply with Newgrounds audio guidelines. I was unable to track down the exact reason, but his track was removed by the moderators sometime in the last 5 days. Sorry!

BBS Signature

Response to N G A U C Tryout Thread 2016 2016-07-13 18:11:28

At 7/13/16 06:06 PM, TaintedLogic wrote: Unfortunately, @Neverwinter2274450 has been disqualified for submitting a track that does not comply with Newgrounds audio guidelines. I was unable to track down the exact reason, but his track was removed by the moderators sometime in the last 5 days. Sorry!

Unlucky... Is there a place where we can see the listings for each submission?

Response to N G A U C Tryout Thread 2016 2016-07-13 19:00:41

At 7/13/16 12:12 PM, TaintedLogic wrote: @Ceevro @Johnfn Perhaps I should've made it clearer that I was joking about Johnfn being "squirrely around swear words." I highly doubt that any of the judges will dock points because of crude lyrics. ;)

What the squirrel did you say about me, you squirrely squirrel? I'll have you know I was the top squirrel in my class with over 300 confirmed chestnuts.

Come join music competitions on Chips Compo and hang on our Discord!

Good artists copy. Great artists get banned from the Audio Portal.

BBS Signature

At 7/13/16 07:00 PM, johnfn wrote: What the squirrel did you say about me, you squirrely squirrel? I'll have you know I was the top squirrel in my class with over 300 confirmed chestnuts.

Mittsies would crush your record, though.
Mittsies is Best Squirrel!

Response to N G A U C Tryout Thread 2016 2016-07-13 20:39:20

Good luck everyone! Just got back from my month long hiatus playing music in China! Can't wait to hear some great music!!!!

BBS Signature

Response to N G A U C Tryout Thread 2016 2016-07-13 20:39:46

At 7/13/16 08:39 PM, trunotfals wrote: Good luck everyone! Just got back from my month long hiatus playing music in China! Can't wait to hear some great music!!

Also don't be afraid to ask me questions!!!

BBS Signature

Response to N G A U C Tryout Thread 2016 2016-07-13 20:41:50

At 7/13/16 06:11 PM, Enzer0 wrote: Unlucky... Is there a place where we can see the listings for each submission?

Page 15 of this thread! :O

BBS Signature

Response to N G A U C Tryout Thread 2016 2016-07-13 21:05:24

awesome! thanks for including me in this!!

Response to N G A U C Tryout Thread 2016 2016-07-14 10:47:26

Is the list on page 15 supposed to be everyone who entered, or people that made it past the tryout round?

BBS Signature

Response to N G A U C Tryout Thread 2016 2016-07-14 11:28:59

At 7/14/16 10:47 AM, Genclops wrote: Is the list on page 15 supposed to be everyone who entered, or people that made it past the tryout round?

Everyone who entered.

The results for who made it past the tryout round will be released on Saturday.

BBS Signature

Response to N G A U C Tryout Thread 2016 2016-07-14 15:51:50

At 7/14/16 11:28 AM, TaintedLogic wrote:
At 7/14/16 10:47 AM, Genclops wrote: Is the list on page 15 supposed to be everyone who entered, or people that made it past the tryout round?
Everyone who entered.

The results for who made it past the tryout round will be released on Saturday.

I entered and was not included on the list

BBS Signature

Response to N G A U C Tryout Thread 2016 2016-07-14 18:30:51

I entered and was not included on the list

That seems to have been corrected by now. You're on the judges' scoresheet. This is your entry, correct?

BBS Signature

Response to N G A U C Tryout Thread 2016 2016-07-14 19:16:55

@BeeFef @PolarTrance @1f1n1ty
After a very drawn-out conversation with several of the other judges, allow me to clarify the rules regarding the use of sampling for the Knock-out and Final rounds of the competition. You MAY use samples (whether layered, synthesized or recorded) that you have made previously. However, you MAY NOT create samples before Saturday for the purpose of using them in your Knock-out or Final round piece.

For example, if you happen to come across a folder of viola samples you recorded two years ago while working on your Knock-out Round piece, you may use them. However, if you start recording a bunch of viola samples tonight in preparation for composing your K.O. Round piece, that is NOT allowed. Instead, please wait to record those samples until after I have posted the Knock-out Round thread on Saturday, after which the K.O. Round will start.

I hope that clears things up. If you have more questions about this, please don't hesitate to PM me or otherwise respond to this thread. I don't want to have to disqualify people in 2 weeks because they were unclear on these rules. Thanks!

@JK-FlipFlop I'm not sure whether I ever answered your question about submitting an acapella piece, but that sound totally fine to me! ;)

BBS Signature

Response to N G A U C Tryout Thread 2016 2016-07-14 20:14:46

At 7/14/16 07:16 PM, TaintedLogic wrote:
I hope that clears things up. If you have more questions about this, please don't hesitate to PM me or otherwise respond to this thread. I don't want to have to disqualify people in 2 weeks because they were unclear on these rules. Thanks!

Yeah I understood, thanks for clearing it up.

PolarTrance, the guy who does Trance sometimes

BBS Signature

Response to N G A U C Tryout Thread 2016 2016-07-14 20:30:09

At 7/14/16 08:14 PM, PolarTrance wrote:
At 7/14/16 07:16 PM, TaintedLogic wrote:
Yeah I understood, thanks for clearing it up.

Thank YOU for helping make sure we addressed this issue now and not in 2 weeks when people have already submitted their tracks. ;)

BBS Signature

Response to N G A U C Tryout Thread 2016 2016-07-15 11:37:19

Can everyone please check to make sure the tracks they submitted to this contest are still publicly available on the site? We've had some issues with this already. If the judges can't listen to your track on Newgrounds, we'll have to disqualify you when we release the results. Thanks!

BBS Signature

Response to N G A U C Tryout Thread 2016 2016-07-15 13:00:52

At 7/15/16 11:37 AM, TaintedLogic wrote: Can everyone please check to make sure the tracks they submitted to this contest are still publicly available on the site? We've had some issues with this already. If the judges can't listen to your track on Newgrounds, we'll have to disqualify you when we release the results. Thanks!

One thing I know for sure is that Qvarcos deleted his track for a reason. Not going into the details...

Response to N G A U C Tryout Thread 2016 2016-07-15 13:11:39

At 7/15/16 01:00 PM, AdamBartha wrote:
One thing I know for sure is that Qvarcos deleted his track for a reason. Not going into the details...

Hmm...okay, thanks for telling me. I already had PM'd him. Hopefully we can arrange something without having to disqualify him.

BBS Signature

Response to N G A U C Tryout Thread 2016 2016-07-15 13:37:20

Lol wait that means no percussion samples or chops or anything? Lame

Suck my kick!

BBS Signature

Response to N G A U C Tryout Thread 2016 2016-07-15 14:07:41

At 7/15/16 01:37 PM, UserSigon wrote: Lol wait that means no percussion samples or chops or anything? Lame

I'm sorry - what rule in particular are you referring to?

BBS Signature

Response to N G A U C Tryout Thread 2016 2016-07-15 16:10:05

At 7/15/16 02:07 PM, TaintedLogic wrote:
At 7/15/16 01:37 PM, UserSigon wrote: Lol wait that means no percussion samples or chops or anything? Lame
I'm sorry - what rule in particular are you referring to?

If i buy a fart pack with lots of samples of farts, can I use them or not? It looks like everything needa to be original. Whats the limit here? I want to use some kicks hats and claps but looks like i cant since I didnt make them.
Also Am i allowed to use a DAW i didnt make? (joke/)

Aorry for writing im browsing on a cheap phone fuck touchscreen

Oh btw thisis assuming i pass the first stage

Suck my kick!

BBS Signature

Response to N G A U C Tryout Thread 2016 2016-07-15 16:43:16

Wait, how long do we get for the Knockout Round?

I have camp from tomorrow through Thursday and won't get home until Friday so I'll barely have time this week.............

Response to N G A U C Tryout Thread 2016 2016-07-15 17:19:45

Since there are literately hundreds of entrants I think Newgrounds should supply some Prizes for the winners. I mean, look at the turnout! This is beyond Epic.

If i buy a fart pack with lots of samples of farts, can I use them or not? It looks like everything needa to be original. Whats the limit here? I want to use some kicks hats and claps but looks like i cant since I didnt make them.

@UserSigon

TaintedLogic posted this a few posts back; clarifying the rules (I was a tad confused too.) Might want to read up a bit before asking :P

After a very drawn-out conversation with several of the other judges, allow me to clarify the rules regarding the use of sampling for the Knock-out and Final rounds of the competition. You MAY use samples (whether layered, synthesized or recorded) that you have made previously. However, you MAY NOT create samples before Saturday for the purpose of using them in your Knock-out or Final round piece.

Quick question @TaintedLogic . Can I use royalty free samples? I didn't for my submission track because I didn't know for sure.

Been here since '03 and less than 1,000 posts

Response to N G A U C Tryout Thread 2016 2016-07-15 17:55:32

At 7/15/16 04:10 PM, UserSigon wrote: If i buy a fart pack with lots of samples of farts, can I use them or not?

Okay, allow me to recap. Basically, you can use any non-copyrighted samples that you want, but you CANNOT create or compile samples for the purpose of using them in your Knock-out Round piece before the K.O. Round starts (which is tomorrow, as soon as I post the new thread).

I still don't understand where you're getting the idea that we're not letting you use any samples or whatever, but hopefully that clears things up.

@Gragon73 Until the 27th. That should give you at least 5 days to work on your piece.

@Enzer0 There are prizes for the winners. The top 3 finishers get forum signatures and get their winning submissions front-paged.

BBS Signature