00:00
00:00

N G A U C Tryout Thread 2016

32,678 Views | 773 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

N G A U C Tryout Thread 2016 2016-06-20 21:31:54

Welcome to the 3rd annual Newgrounds Audio Underdogs Contest! :D For those of you who don’t know, the NGAUC is a wonderful opportunity for experienced and less experienced musicians alike to learn from their peers, become more integrated into the community, and gain some exposure on the site. It also happens to have involved judges getting shrunk to microscopic size, various acolytes of mine poorly managing the contest’s official private jet, and confrontational run-ins with aliens from alternate universes.

During the 10-month hiatus since the last Cleansing of the Portal, the not-so-hygienic teenage angel TaintedLogic has sought to gain knowledge that will aid him on his never-ending journey to unite the Newgrounds audio community once and for all (i.e., I took some music theory classes in college). Together with his new list of disciples (i.e. judges), @Johnfn, @Samulis, @SkyeWint, @Lockyn, @ZipZipper, and @Trunotfals, he is once again back on the front lines, fighting against crime (i.e. zero-bombing and the like).

Anyway, here’s how this thing works:

You have until 23:59 (11:59 p.m.) Eastern Daylight Time on July 8th, 2016 to link the piece you want the judges to consider in this thread. The piece can be something you wrote years ago, or you can make it from scratch specifically for the competition. You can also change the piece you’d like us to judge by CLEARLY stating in the thread you’d like to change it as well as providing a link to your new piece.

Immediately after the tryout submission phase, the participants will be grouped evenly based on their fan totals. This ensures that the true “Underdogs” of the competition advance as far as possible without directly competing with more experienced and knowledgeable musicians. In the past, there have been 3 groups (the Underdogs, Professional Amateurs, and All Stars), but there may or may not be more this year, depending on how many participants there are.

After tryouts comes the Knock-out Round! Another thread will be posted in the BBS, setting the time limit for July 27th at 23:59 (11:59 pm) EDT for the remaining competitors to submit their completely-from-scratch and original new tracks. From there, the judges will accept certain competitors into a Final Round by August 1st. The winners will be announced on August 16th.

Prizes will include forum signatures for the top 3 finishers boasting of their success in the competition, as well as spots on the front page of the Audio Portal the week after the competition.

We encourage you to support and review each other’s work and interact respectfully with one another in this thread. Please just keep the conversation relevant to the competition.

Special thanks to our judges: @Johnfn, @Samulis, @SkyeWint, @Lockyn, @ZipZipper, and @Trunotfals. We’re also still looking for more judges, so if you’d like to nominate someone as judge, or you want to be one yourself, please PM me.

Also, PLEASE READ THE COMPLETE LIST OF RULES that couldn’t fit in this forum post. There’s no need to embarrass yourself by submitting pieces that don’t fit our criteria.

That said, happy music-making and good luck!

The competition will begin...err…….NOW! >:D

"Reflect on your evils, lest they reflect on you." ~A Magic card lol --- Formerly "TheDoor6"

BBS Signature

Response to N G A U C Tryout Thread 2016 2016-06-20 22:03:56

Awesome! I knew that the contest was just around the corner again. I'm far from an underdog at this point, and I've got tons of other stuff to do, so I'm still unsure of whether I'll join this year. But I'm thinking of it! I'll be making some music for animations and such, most likely, this summer. If I can find enough time besides that, or maybe enter a song I'll be making for an animation or whatnot into a round, if it happens to fit, I might have time. I'm still undecided, but I'll post a link to a track before the 8th, if I do decide to enter!

I hope that all of you other potential contesters are getting all fired up :)
I also hope that the message spreads to the underdogs, so they'll know to enter!

This will be fun either way :D

Response to N G A U C Tryout Thread 2016 2016-06-20 23:22:40

Can't wait to hear the entries this year. Good luck guys!

We are all prodigies. We just have to realize our potential, then make it our purpose.

Response to N G A U C Tryout Thread 2016 2016-06-21 00:21:51

2 entries already! We're on fire. ;D

Seriously, though. I remember last year, it took almost 6 hours for someone to submit a tryout piece, so this is already a sign that we'll have even greater participation this year.

Thanks guys! ^^

"Reflect on your evils, lest they reflect on you." ~A Magic card lol --- Formerly "TheDoor6"

BBS Signature

Response to N G A U C Tryout Thread 2016 2016-06-21 03:17:22

so many talented schmucks here on newgrounds......really contemplating about entering or just hiding in the shadows in defeat haha.

Response to N G A U C Tryout Thread 2016 2016-06-21 04:12:16

At 6/21/16 03:17 AM, HighBallers wrote: so many talented schmucks here on newgrounds......really contemplating about entering or just hiding in the shadows in defeat haha.

One great thing about the NGAUC is that we match you up with other people of about your skill level! So there's no need to be scared, because everyone you're up against will be just like you!

Can't wait to judge you guys!!! <3

Come join music competitions on Chips Compo and hang on our Discord!

Good artists copy. Great artists get banned from the Audio Portal.

BBS Signature

Response to N G A U C Tryout Thread 2016 2016-06-21 04:33:55

Great contest last year, so many awesome submissions! It's nice to see it starting up again, can't wait to hear what people come up with. Please consider this my submission for the tryout round:

Good luck to everyone involved!

BBS Signature

Hello thar ;)

BBS Signature

Response to N G A U C Tryout Thread 2016 2016-06-21 14:24:34

man all these entries are all star level. looling then lil ol' me can't even audition because I don't have a song that longer than 2 mins hahahaha.

Response to N G A U C Tryout Thread 2016 2016-06-21 14:27:36

At 6/21/16 02:24 PM, HighBallers wrote: man all these entries are all star level. looling then lil ol' me can't even audition because I don't have a song that longer than 2 mins hahahaha.

I wouldn't let that stop you from trying out. As I alluded to in the rules, the length requirements are more loose guidelines than strictly-enforced law. Besides, if you wanted to create a full-length piece anyway, you still have over two weeks before the deadline! ;)

BBS Signature

Response to N G A U C Tryout Thread 2016 2016-06-21 14:52:36

Had a hard time deciding whether I'd create a whole new song or start with an already existing one - the thing is I've created a new song today, almost finished it too, but in my opinion, it's too good to start with, so I'll leave it to the second round (if I make it there), I'll be giving it a better mastering and maybe I'll make it a bit longer.

So... Well, enjoy an existing track of mine!

Response to N G A U C Tryout Thread 2016 2016-06-21 14:57:16

At 6/21/16 02:52 PM, AdamBartha wrote: so I'll leave it to the second round (if I make it there),

Actually, you're expected to make a track completely from scratch DURING the Knockout Round submission phase, so you technically wouldn't be able to submit the piece you're working on now for the next round. I would recommend waiting at least a few days and trying to polish up the piece you're working on. If it doesn't come together well, though, we'll gladly judge the piece you've linked to now. :)

BBS Signature

Response to N G A U C Tryout Thread 2016 2016-06-21 15:08:08

At 6/21/16 02:57 PM, TaintedLogic wrote:
At 6/21/16 02:52 PM, AdamBartha wrote: so I'll leave it to the second round (if I make it there),
Actually, you're expected to make a track completely from scratch DURING the Knockout Round submission phase, so you technically wouldn't be able to submit the piece you're working on now for the next round. I would recommend waiting at least a few days and trying to polish up the piece you're working on. If it doesn't come together well, though, we'll gladly judge the piece you've linked to now. :)

Gotta shut myself down for a while, wake me up when the knockout round has started and I'm still in the game.

I'm in, I'm not the most competitive person but I'll give it a shot

BBS Signature

Response to N G A U C Tryout Thread 2016 2016-06-21 15:42:54

Welp. Might as well.

Hopefully school, work, and this don't make my brain explode with my bad time management.

Salut!

I create 3D art here, and you can listen to my album there! Comments/Feedback appreciated.

Merci! :)

BBS Signature

Response to N G A U C Tryout Thread 2016 2016-06-21 21:02:51

Hey!

I've made a loop almost completely from scratch!

Okay... joke aside, I may compose something for this one if I have enough time to di it, and mostly if I forsee that I have enough time to make the different rounds in the case I would get a place in the contest. I'll post a real attempt to make the tryout probably on the last opened day for submissions. I'm this kind of professional procrastinator sometimes...

Well, if I don't upload anything else before July 8th, don't take this little loop as en entry. It was just a joke from the scratch. :)

Anyways, see ya later here maybe, and good luck to everyone!

Question - does our *TRYOUT* piece have to be fully original?

I have a great remix (like 30x better than anything I've made yet) which is like 60% finished right now, and has quite a different structure to the original song, but uses many of the original song's elements sped up. Would that be allowed? (Any of my compositions in the competition would be original.)

I'm perfectly fine touching up something else if I need to.

https://soundcloud.com/alias_hallow

I hang around on chips compo mostly

Response to N G A U C Tryout Thread 2016 2016-06-22 00:56:22

At 6/22/16 12:50 AM, Gragon73 wrote: Question - does our *TRYOUT* piece have to be fully original?

I have a great remix (like 30x better than anything I've made yet) which is like 60% finished right now, and has quite a different structure to the original song, but uses many of the original song's elements sped up. Would that be allowed?

Yes! You may submit covers, arrangements, remixes, etc. for the tryouts. This is clarified in the rules, of which I suggest you read the remainder.

BBS Signature

At 6/22/16 12:56 AM, TaintedLogic wrote: Yes! You may submit covers, arrangements, remixes, etc. for the tryouts. This is clarified in the rules, of which I suggest you read the remainder.

Ah, that one sentence that you miss. Thanks for clarifying.

https://soundcloud.com/alias_hallow

I hang around on chips compo mostly

Response to N G A U C Tryout Thread 2016 2016-06-22 01:10:01

At 6/22/16 12:59 AM, Gragon73 wrote:
At 6/22/16 12:56 AM, TaintedLogic wrote: Yes! You may submit covers, arrangements, remixes, etc. for the tryouts. This is clarified in the rules, of which I suggest you read the remainder.
Ah, that one sentence that you miss. Thanks for clarifying.

You're welcome! Good luck. ;)

BBS Signature

Derp.

BBS Signature

Response to N G A U C Tryout Thread 2016 2016-06-22 07:14:35

Response to N G A U C Tryout Thread 2016 2016-06-22 22:10:39

Should I enter with Serponge or Within the Sadness?

I'm going with Within the Sadness!

Hopefully I make it in... gotta keep my fingers crossed...

hey man, you uh you got something on your face right there, lemme just... ok, there we go, MUCH better, you are looking GOOD AS NEW

When the beat drops I'm like:

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

( ͡⊙ ͜ʖ ͡⊙)