00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Duckyellow just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Hello Newgrounds :)

9,003 Views | 129 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Hello Newgrounds :) 2016-06-20 19:29:24

WIP of some Newgrounds related pinup :)

Response to Hello Newgrounds :) 2016-06-22 09:37:50

Mo' sketches :)

Some rough head sketches from this morning. Worming up to finish some pinups.

Response to Hello Newgrounds :) 2016-06-23 18:36:45

This is a gif process of my previous cartoon pinup. I like to create those gifs, it gives me a fresh look and I can learn from it for the future drawings. It can be useful to others too, so I like to share that.

Now, back to finding the name for this girl :) Got some interesting suggestions, but will wait for a while to see if something new pops out.

Response to Hello Newgrounds :) 2016-06-28 14:58:55

Another GIF process. Kinda like just the flats the most :)

Response to Hello Newgrounds :) 2016-06-29 00:30:20

Hey @HugoTendaz Will happen to the comic?

Response to Hello Newgrounds :) 2016-06-29 16:23:24

@EKM , @AlessandroFerrato - Thank you. I like Jab's style. Although I don't do hardcore images I learned a lot from his cartoons. As for my own comic - I've made a characters, even did the storyboards for animation, but I think it will be better to make that into a comic first. It would take ages to do that long animation, comic would be less time consuming. And create some interest so I can do that in animation in the future. So, expect some comic pages with some silly, sexy character soon :)

Response to Hello Newgrounds :) 2016-07-02 04:59:11

A study of Alex Toth's Black Canary. I was not concerned for the likeness, more concentrate to pick some of his line strokes and use it in my drawings. Got to study the masters :)

Response to Hello Newgrounds :) 2016-07-03 13:04:30

GIF process of Mavis cartoon.

Response to Hello Newgrounds :) 2016-07-06 14:08:02

I'm making new speed drawing. This time I decided to record whole process from sketch to finish. I'll add some tips along the way. Here's the the image of the sketch part. Power Girl has such silly character design :)

Response to Hello Newgrounds :) 2016-07-07 17:50:20

At 7/6/16 02:08 PM, HugoTendaz wrote: I'm making new speed drawing. This time I decided to record whole process from sketch to finish. I'll add some tips along the way. Here's the the image of the sketch part. Power Girl has such silly character design :)

Nice to see you figured out how to record the entire proces, can't wait for the vid. Are you going to provide the tips with commentary in the video or trough this thread?

Response to Hello Newgrounds :) 2016-07-07 18:57:03 (edited 2016-07-07 18:57:27)

Hey @Plebs , I'm making it like we talked earlier. Recording in parts then stitching it all together. Frankenstein style :) I recorded the inking, the rest will be faster to do. So I will be able to scream - It's alive! - in a couple of days :)

I don't know about audio commentary yet. I'll add tips in some sort of annotations for now. Not the YouTube annotations, I'll embed them on video so they will stay there, no matter the platform. But I will try to add the audio in the future. Thanks for asking :)

This is a colored sketch of HellGirl, a female version of Hellboy :) I've been drawing a lot lately, so having that Hellboy's hand would be great to avoid injuries. Even if there would be problems to find the right pencil :)

Mike Mignola is great artist. Love his energy and strong style. It's both graphic and cartoony. And I'm studying a lot of Jack Kirby's art lately. Would like to add his squiggly lines in some of my drawings.

Response to Hello Newgrounds :) 2016-07-08 04:48:55

At 7/7/16 06:57 PM, HugoTendaz wrote: Hey @Plebs , I'm making it like we talked earlier. Recording in parts then stitching it all together. Frankenstein style :) I recorded the inking, the rest will be faster to do. So I will be able to scream - It's alive! - in a couple of days :)

I don't know about audio commentary yet. I'll add tips in some sort of annotations for now. Not the YouTube annotations, I'll embed them on video so they will stay there, no matter the platform. But I will try to add the audio in the future. Thanks for asking :)

You should provide commentary by dragging a word document onto the screen and typing it out. All the professionals do it that way. Trust me ;)

Looking forward to seeing the result.

p.s. Don't trust me

Response to Hello Newgrounds :) 2016-07-08 05:33:08

Groovy man, didn't know you had a thread here! I really enjoy pin-up art, and you're one of the greats, however... I guess I can 'get behind' your tendency to blow up ladies backsides, but it shouldn't come at the cost of her abdomen's length. It's like, 2 big boobs, 4 or 5 ribs, then the hips/butt. Even with short stocky girls, some of your subjects are slightly suspect.

@doublemaximus is starting to dabble with pinup art, and I recommended: Mucha, Elvgren, Betty Page, Elizabeth Ann Roberts... uh, old Air Force pin-ups from the front of planes, that sorta thing. Not that you need it (or any of my advice; your work sings on its own) but there it is. Looks like a thread worth following!

Vault 101 I have many old and deleted Flash submissions, PM me the filename, maybe I got it.

BBS Signature

Response to Hello Newgrounds :) 2016-07-08 08:19:42

Thanks for the shout out! I've been studying up on those artists/model's poses and they are so tasetful and classy. Gotta love em' :D

Response to Hello Newgrounds :) 2016-07-08 16:48:56 (edited 2016-07-08 16:49:16)

@Plebs - I'm going to write(draw) the tips and paste the images on video. Seems easier then typing :) And if I compose that well it would look nice, too.

@VicariousE - Thanks. I've started this thread as an introduction, but continued by posting my sketches and WIPs. Didn;t want to add a new thread for that.

Yes, Gil Elvgren is great artists. I love old illustrators. I always come back to them for inspiration and to learn a few tricks. From the more realistic ones, like Elvgren, I study the colors, poses and clothing. But my real inspiration are cartoon illustrators because that's the way I want to go. When I draw for my own pleasure I do tend to draw ladies with a little bigger booty and thighs. That's just a personal preference. But you are right, sometimes I do go a bit overboard :) It's tricky to draw thick, chubby girls in cartoon form and do them justice without crossing the line with hentai :) But I'll do my best. Thanks for the feedback. I really appreciate honest and direct opinions.

@doublemaximus - cool gallery. You really are productive. Looking forward to browse your gallery and to see new art from you :) Betty Paige is eternal model, she is and will be inspiration for so many generations of artists :)

Response to Hello Newgrounds :) 2016-07-08 16:59:12

At 7/8/16 04:48 PM, HugoTendaz wrote: It's tricky to draw thick, chubby girls in cartoon form and do them justice without crossing the line with hentai :) But I'll do my best. Thanks for the feedback. I really appreciate honest and direct opinions.

You're very welcome, I know you'll do your best, but I had throw out any/all niggles I might've had with your work, which are very minor to be sure!

I'm glad someone's drawing women of normal/small statute... kinda tired of seeing giraffe legged women in the Art Portal, blowing proportion out of whack and good taste.

Vault 101 I have many old and deleted Flash submissions, PM me the filename, maybe I got it.

BBS Signature

Response to Hello Newgrounds :) 2016-07-09 11:03:46

At 6/19/16 10:25 AM, HugoTendaz wrote: Some updates on this thread couldn't hurt :)

It's a male character for a change :) More of a worm up that anything concrete, but I want to share it anyway. To add some different content here on the Newgrounds.

You're artwork is amazing Hugo, i've been going through this thread and admiring all your artwork. Well done man

Response to Hello Newgrounds :) 2016-07-09 13:00:03

@VicariousE - Although I draw cartoon characters I want my characters to be functional, with form and structure but in a cartoon way. For example, J. Scott Campbell's anatomy is so stylistic and pushed but it's working. It's functional. It feels real because he spent so many time and effort to build that. And the talent he posses made that easier, but at least I know it doesn't happen over night. So the comments like yours and support BTW :) are very useful and helpful for me (or any artist) to achieve full potential. I don't say I will to be the next Campbell, that would be to much. But I definitely want to make my mark :)

And for the last couple of years, there are more diversity then the long legged, giraffe :) girls. Even in a mainstream media. That was synonym for beauty and sexy for a long time, but me and others are trying to restore the balance :) And history will repeat itself. There are prehistoric statues of plump fertility goddesses, chubby models from the renaissance and so on :) Never ending cycle of beauty standards from thick to thin.

@Calybar - Thank you. I post more sketches and WIPs in this thread. Finished art you can see in my gallery here. Looking forward to add some comic pages in the future, to enrich the gallery :)

Response to Hello Newgrounds :) 2016-07-10 13:00:20

Random drawing of Captain America. Waaaay off-model :)

I didn't have a plan for this one, just trying some simple coloring in this style. I need to find good and fast way to color my comic with nice results. So it don't take ages to finish one page :) Will post some more tests later.

Response to Hello Newgrounds :) 2016-07-10 23:28:29

Hadn't seen your Hell Girl, she came out really great. Probably my favorite so far. Might need to make some fan art of her :D

This is a colored sketch of HellGirl, a female version of Hellboy :) I've been drawing a lot lately, so having that Hellboy's hand would be great to avoid injuries. Even if there would be problems to find the right pencil :)

Mike Mignola is great artist. Love his energy and strong style. It's both graphic and cartoony. And I'm studying a lot of Jack Kirby's art lately. Would like to add his squiggly lines in some of my drawings.

Response to Hello Newgrounds :) 2016-07-11 12:23:15

Thanks @FuShark . That drawing is more practice that actual concept. I love Hellboy and also wanted to draw a demon girl. I see that you like those characters and draw them more than I do. And draw them pretty well, may I say :) So feel free to draw her if you want, I would like to see her in your style.

So, I started creating my own comic. It's an action comedy, and I want to have fun with it and experiment with my drawings :)

I've started to do rough sketching and here's a preview. It's some thug from the first page, don't want to show the main character, yet :) But soon :)

I'll post more updates here.

Response to Hello Newgrounds :) 2016-07-13 14:47:15

Here's a little preview of my main character for the comic. It's almost fully designed, but don't want to show her to soon :) But she love toffees :)

I saw that Adam Warren made Empowered into a webcomic and makes a commentary for every page. It's very helpful to read them along the comic. It's helping me a lot. Both from a technical and motivational side. If you are a fan of his work and/or didn't have a chance to read Empowered, now you can :) Or read it again :)

Response to Hello Newgrounds :) 2016-07-17 17:31:11

Still having some troubles with editing the speed drawing from earlier posts, but it should be OK. Until then, here's a WIP of D.Va from Overwatch. Really dig the colors in the game, but damn, there's so much details to be drawn :) Although I did simplify some of it, I want to stay on model as much as I can.

Response to Hello Newgrounds :) 2016-07-20 07:59:08

I've started streaming. It was a great experience. Made a D.Va but need to finish with some details. Will post it in portal when it's ready. Will try to stream as much as I can. Here's my channel on Picarto - picarto.tv/HugoTendaz

And this is the next thing I want to do on a stream - Wolverine gives his big banana to Jean Grey :) Seems like a silly idea worth of doing :)

Response to Hello Newgrounds :) 2016-07-22 01:21:49

Hello there.
Your art is lovely.
Have fun here.

Don't let a bad day make you feel like you have a bad life.

BBS Signature

Response to Hello Newgrounds :) 2016-07-25 16:03:50

At 7/22/16 01:21 AM, csengea wrote: Hello there.
Your art is lovely.
Have fun here.

Hello there neighbour Balkanian :) And thank you.

Response to Hello Newgrounds :) 2016-08-11 19:30:19

Been a busy month. Here's some sketches to keep this thread alive :)

Response to Hello Newgrounds :) 2016-08-16 12:59:53

@Plebs did an awesome layouts and animatics for the cartoon for the next Animation Jam, and I created some girls for it. Here's a small preview for the cartoon. Still rough, but can't wait to finish this :)

My first Jam here, I somehow missed the previous ones. But want to do them more often, it's a great experience and a lot of fun :)

Response to Hello Newgrounds :) 2016-08-18 14:56:00

Some more progress shots form the cartoon I make with @Plebs. I know this is could go to Animation Forum, but I only draw the girls :) Don't want to spoil the final cartoon, but we already uploaded the sketch for this shot, so I suppose it's OK to show some progress with the line art and the colors.

Response to Hello Newgrounds :) 2016-08-19 16:42:17

Hey, Hugo, your style is amazing, man! Reminds me something of Patrick Brown and Blitz Cadet, you know them? If I could point out just one thing, I'd say you should try draw girls a little bit less sexualized. It's your own style, and that's alright, but, don't take me wrong, it looks like you only draw them in one pose, just to show their butts. You can make them hot without appealing so much, you know? Check out the artists I told you for examples.

And keep the good work, I loved the movement in your lines. :)