00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Peacock6k just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

MOST OVERRATED VIDEO GAME

4,387 Views | 68 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

MOST OVERRATED VIDEO GAME 2015-12-24 15:48:54

What game do you think is the mosh overrated?
For me, its Super Mario 64.
Wherever i read a review of this game, it gets a 5 star rating, wich really bothers me, for various reasons.
Camera system is very flawed, as my view of Mario is often blocked by various objects.
I dont know if anyone else noticed it, but controls in this game are very awkward, as fighting enemies (I.E. Goombas) is very diffictult. And when Mario falls, he tends to buttslide a lot, wich gives enemies a lot of time to attack.
Anyway, SM64 is a very good game, but everyone praising it seems to just overlook its flaws.

Response to MOST OVERRATED VIDEO GAME 2015-12-24 16:00:29

this thread won't end well

When ever you feel powerless, just remember this.

A single one of your pubes can shut down an entire restaurant. - Conal / MOTW: O Lucky Man!

BBS Signature

Response to MOST OVERRATED VIDEO GAME 2015-12-24 16:04:33

At 12/24/15 04:00 PM, Natick wrote: this thread won't end well

I agree with you, however, I had to get that one out of my system since it was bothering me for a while. I hope there arent many angry fanboys on NG....Right?

Response to MOST OVERRATED VIDEO GAME 2015-12-24 16:11:37

At 12/24/15 04:04 PM, SinisterShadow1000 wrote:
I agree with you, however, I had to get that one out of my system since it was bothering me for a while. I hope there arent many angry fanboys on NG....Right?

oh, there are plenty

the majority of poster are just going to come here and say a random popular game so they can sound controversial when they haven't played much else to have a point of reference or comparison

but for the record, i've tried to do 3 playthroughs of path of exile and found it incredibly boring each time. credit where it's due to the business model

A single one of your pubes can shut down an entire restaurant. - Conal / MOTW: O Lucky Man!

BBS Signature

Response to MOST OVERRATED VIDEO GAME 2015-12-24 16:17:02

At 12/24/15 04:11 PM, Natick wrote:
At 12/24/15 04:04 PM, SinisterShadow1000 wrote:
oh, there are plenty

the majority of poster are just going to come here and say a random popular game so they can sound controversial when they haven't played much else to have a point of reference or comparison

but for the record, i've tried to do 3 playthroughs of path of exile and found it incredibly boring each time. credit where it's due to the business model

You got it all wrong, l really like SM64, but all the worshipping of the game bothers me so much. That could be said for Super Mario Bros 3, but I really couldn find any big flaws in that game.

Response to MOST OVERRATED VIDEO GAME 2015-12-24 16:17:26

Anyway, SM64 is a very good game, but everyone praising it seems to just overlook its flaws.

If you only look at the flaws or pretend something is worse than it is because of the flaws it means you're doing it wrong. You can't see the forest for the trees, as they say.

Truth is, very few things are truly "overrated". Most of the time people, especially on the internet, misuse the word "overrated" and imply it means "thing everyone likes that I don't." That's not what it means, but people act like it does.

Response to MOST OVERRATED VIDEO GAME 2015-12-24 16:20:39

At 12/24/15 03:48 PM, SinisterShadow1000 wrote: For me, its Super Mario 64.
Camera system is very flawed, as my view of Mario is often blocked by various objects.
I dont know if anyone else noticed it, but controls in this game are very awkward, as fighting enemies (I.E. Goombas) is very diffictult.

It isn't so bad once you learn the controls and how to work the camera angles.

Before SM64 games were hard, and the only way to get good at them was to master the controls first.

Though at the time I did wish for SM64 to keep the original 2D Mario elements (grow/shrink, fireballs, etc.)

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Gta five. The controls seem kinda weird and I don't like slow movements and walking. That's why I stick with the older ps2 gta games like 3, San andreas, and vice city.

Response to MOST OVERRATED VIDEO GAME 2015-12-24 16:25:40

At 12/24/15 04:17 PM, vannila-guerilla wrote:
If you only look at the flaws or pretend something is worse than it is because of the flaws it means you're doing it wrong. You can't see the forest for the trees, as they say.

Truth is, very few things are truly "overrated". Most of the time people, especially on the internet, misuse the word "overrated" and imply it means "thing everyone likes that I don't." That's not what it means, but people act like it does.

Heh, youre probbably right. But it really annoys me that people say that SM64 is the best game on N64. Despite being revolutionary, there are many games that are simply better platformers.

Response to MOST OVERRATED VIDEO GAME 2015-12-24 16:26:22

At 12/24/15 04:17 PM, SinisterShadow1000 wrote: You got it all wrong, l really like SM64, but all the worshipping of the game bothers me so much. That could be said for Super Mario Bros 3, but I really couldn find any big flaws in that game.

it was a technical jumping off point for 3d platformers really

many had tried and failed before but sm64 was the first to have gotten so many things right on it's first foray into 3d, mainly relating to control and perspective

i didn't really like it until i got older and had played through most of the 2d platformers

BBS Signature

I bey you anything Sinister, if you worded your thread properly.
It could still be a thriving thread in general.

You just needed to open the range for more than just video game thread.
I encourage you to re-post the idea but in a different fashion that doesn't draw attention to it for being a video game thread.

Like say:
I think many things are overrated.
One of them is that Super Mario is an overrated game...

Than elaborate further on the premise. Not the main idea.
You can still get your point across about the games things.
Just try to let other people talk about other things.

Like Vanilla-Guerrilla statement in your thread could have been a great response to the Over-rated theme.

Next time you post, don't steep too much on one idea. Try to "generalize" it.

Understand?

ADDED
One more thing.
Nobody comes to Video Game or any other thread group anymore.

Response to MOST OVERRATED VIDEO GAME 2015-12-24 16:28:13

At 12/24/15 04:23 PM, NEOSLAYRE wrote: Gta five. The controls seem kinda weird and I don't like slow movements and walking. That's why I stick with the older ps2 gta games like 3, San andreas, and vice city.

Yeah, controls really seem to get wierder in the modern games. I personally like GTA V.

Response to MOST OVERRATED VIDEO GAME 2015-12-24 16:29:32

At 12/24/15 04:28 PM, SinisterShadow1000 wrote:
At 12/24/15 04:23 PM, NEOSLAYRE wrote: Gta five. The controls seem kinda weird and I don't like slow movements and walking. That's why I stick with the older ps2 gta games like 3, San andreas, and vice city.
Yeah, controls really seem to get wierder in the modern games. I personally like GTA V.

Do you have Xbox Live?

Response to MOST OVERRATED VIDEO GAME 2015-12-24 16:30:48

At 12/24/15 04:27 PM, MuramasasEdge wrote: I bey you anything Sinister, if you worded your thread properly.
It could still be a thriving thread in general.

You just needed to open the range for more than just video game.
I encourage you to re-post the idea but in a different fashion that doesn't draw attention to it for being a video game.

Like say:
I think many things are overrated.
One of them is that Super Mario is an overrated game...

Than elaborate further on premise. Not the main idea.
You can still get your point across about the games things.
Just try to let other people talk about other things.

Like Vanilla-Guerrilla statement in your thread could have been a great response to the Over-rated theme.

Next time you post, don't steep too much on one idea. Try to "generalize" it.

Understand?

Yeah, I get your point, but I wanted this thread to be video game based, but your thread seems like a pretty good idea...There are many things in life that are overraed.

Response to MOST OVERRATED VIDEO GAME 2015-12-24 16:32:11

Do you have Xbox Live?

No, I never owned an Xbox.

Response to MOST OVERRATED VIDEO GAME 2015-12-24 16:34:45

It isn't so bad once you learn the controls and how to work the camera angles.

Before SM64 games were hard, and the only way to get good at them was to master the controls first.

Though at the time I did wish for SM64 to keep the original 2D Mario elements (grow/shrink, fireballs, etc.)

Yeah, I guess youre right. I thought that flying/metal/invisible caps were pretty cool concepts.

Response to MOST OVERRATED VIDEO GAME 2015-12-24 16:38:37

At 12/24/15 04:30 PM, SinisterShadow1000 wrote: Nonsensical bullshit

Well fuck then.
I'll just shut up next time.

Response to MOST OVERRATED VIDEO GAME 2015-12-24 16:39:58

At 12/24/15 04:25 PM, SinisterShadow1000 wrote:
At 12/24/15 04:17 PM, vannila-guerilla wrote:

Heh, youre probbably right. But it really annoys me that people say that SM64 is the best game on N64. Despite being revolutionary, there are many games that are simply better platformers.

Just don't want you falling into a trap, buddy.

Mario 64 does feel a bit dated, but honestly, it's still great. It still may be the best 3D Mario game, and with a couple tweaks it could be perfect. Especially if it got a sequel with updated graphics and gameplay.

Response to MOST OVERRATED VIDEO GAME 2015-12-24 16:47:12

At 12/24/15 04:38 PM, MuramasasEdge wrote:
Well fuck then.
I'll just shut up next time.

What do you mean by that?

Response to MOST OVERRATED VIDEO GAME 2015-12-24 16:48:18

Just don't want you falling into a trap, buddy.

Mario 64 does feel a bit dated, but honestly, it's still great. It still may be the best 3D Mario game, and with a couple tweaks it could be perfect. Especially if it got a sequel with updated graphics and gameplay.

Well, the DS version was vastly superior to the original, mostly because it included other charachters...

Response to MOST OVERRATED VIDEO GAME 2015-12-24 16:49:25

At 12/24/15 04:47 PM, SinisterShadow1000 wrote:
At 12/24/15 04:38 PM, MuramasasEdge wrote:
What do you mean by that?

Nothing, it's just something I say to sum up a large amount of text.

you should try using it when talking to people on ng, it makes them go nuts!

Oh, and I'm just being butthurt about it.

Response to MOST OVERRATED VIDEO GAME 2015-12-26 13:47:53

At 12/26/15 11:09 AM, dem0lecule wrote: COD. There are a shit load of better shooter games.

To be honest, I really suck at FPS games so I cant really tell if its good or bad.

Response to MOST OVERRATED VIDEO GAME 2015-12-26 16:46:16

Deadpool

Response to MOST OVERRATED VIDEO GAME 2015-12-26 18:20:43

Fallout 4 and undertale.

please don't kill me

Response to MOST OVERRATED VIDEO GAME 2015-12-26 18:53:41

I find that fnaf series is a bit overrated. Who knew the only thing you need to make a good horror game was taking away the ability to walk and leave the player with only lights and other gizmos. Its okay story wise, but I feel a game should have more of a gameplay element besides watching cameras and waiting for a jumpscare. Slender does have jumpscare and a bit of lore, but it lets the character free-roam in a cryptic forest along with other minor abilities. What is it about this franchise that makes it so popular? Is it the lore or does everyone fear animatronics?

Response to MOST OVERRATED VIDEO GAME 2015-12-26 19:38:56

At 12/26/15 06:20 PM, cuttyflame wrote: Fallout 4 and undertale.
please don't kill me

Heh, why would I kill you, you are entitled to an opinion.

Response to MOST OVERRATED VIDEO GAME 2015-12-26 19:44:44

At 12/26/15 06:53 PM, Leadbomber wrote: I find that fnaf series is a bit overrated. Who knew the only thing you need to make a good horror game was taking away the ability to walk and leave the player with only lights and other gizmos. Its okay story wise, but I feel a game should have more of a gameplay element besides watching cameras and waiting for a jumpscare. Slender does have jumpscare and a bit of lore, but it lets the character free-roam in a cryptic forest along with other minor abilities. What is it about this franchise that makes it so popular? Is it the lore or does everyone fear animatronics?

FNAF is a bit overrated. The game looks pretty good, but there are very few animations, other are image files. As for the story, wich is basicaly non existent if you dont count 5+ episodes of Game Theory about it. I wasnt scared of the animatronics at first, but the idea of them being possesed by spirits of murdered children is just disturbing. It would be pretty cool if you could see the animatronics actually move, except that fox thingy.

Final Fantasy VII. The game is too easy, the Materia system is only interesting because of Blue Materia and there's barely any of it in the game, the character graphics are blocky and awkward compared to FF6 or FF8, Sephiroth has the exact same motive as Jenova (which is stupid) and the ending is atrocious. Aside from the few good tracks that everyone hypes, most of the game's music is forgettable.

If I offer to help you in a post, PM me to get it. I often forget to revisit threads.

Want 180+ free PSP games? Try these links! - Flash - Homebrew (OFW)

Sonic the Hedgehog

-- Extremely basic platforming when most platformers had long since advanced combined with overly-long boring levels with the only thing going for the game being the soundtrack and boss fights.

How to make any classic Sonic game an immensely better game? Boss Rush only, eliminating all the long boring stages between boss fights.

Close second: Mortal Kombat

-- Only became popular because it showed "blood" which was controversial at the time. Very mediocre fighter that, if it hadn't gained popularity through controversy, would likely have been forgotten just like majority of fighter games have been. Can you name even 10 separate fighter game series without having to look any of them up? Probably not. If it wasn't for the "blood" controversy back in the day, would you even know about Mortal Kombat? Probably not.

Come at me Sega fanboys. Face it -- the two most well-known games on the Genesis were nothing more than mere marketing ploys lacking any real gameplay merit, and popular only because Sega fanboys would buy up anything Sega marketed as "cool" because they're easily manipulated by Sega marketing departments and cared more about image than gameplay.

When you can't win the console wars by making better games, may as well take the Sega strategy of relying on marketing your games as "cool" and "edgy" and relying on a customer base who cares more about being seen as "cool" or "edgy" than actually playing fun games.

//Shots fired

//Battleship sunk

Want to play Flash games on Newgrounds again? See here

Response to MOST OVERRATED VIDEO GAME 2015-12-27 04:43:16

At 12/26/15 08:06 PM, X-Gary-Gigax-X wrote: That's a trap xD I'm not naming Final Fantasy 7 as an overrated game, because I know fans will jump on me

I cannot say if its overrated or not, because I never played it. I personally only played Final Fantasy I. When I asked wich game to play to get started off, people told me FF I.That game immidiately turned me off for the franchise. The game was simply too hard, battles were tedious, I couldnt level up because I kept dying.