00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Ryor just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Podcasts on NG are a Thing Now.

16,563 Views | 71 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Podcasts on NG are a Thing Now. 2015-02-18 22:32:08

Podcasts are cool and all, but I say you should add audio portal support for .mod and .xm formats!

Though I might be one of the only ones on the site who would take advantage of that...

Serious question though: with such a high file size cap, why can't we upload .wav files to the portal? I'm sure there's a logical and obvious technical answer, but I'm curious.

To answer your question, nothing I've done so far this year has really stood out for me.

Response to Podcasts on NG are a Thing Now. 2015-02-18 23:21:58

Pretty cool. The more NG can do, the better.

Response to Podcasts on NG are a Thing Now. 2015-02-18 23:48:03

Is there a recommended NG radio player that has a shuffle and a skip feature? I've been trying to stream some NG audio portal stuff during livestreams, but I've had to use playlists so far.

Would also be nice to limit the shuffle to specific artists and/or genres. Maybe I've missed the silver bullet web/desktop app that's already out there for this?

Podcasts on NG are a Thing Now.

Response to Podcasts on NG are a Thing Now. 2015-02-18 23:50:58

Excellent!

I got great stuff lined up for the storytelling section!

Response to Podcasts on NG are a Thing Now. 2015-02-18 23:55:06

so hows that Lit Portal coming?

Response to Podcasts on NG are a Thing Now. 2015-02-19 09:52:28

At 2/19/15 09:43 AM, Amaranthus wrote: I want @ZJ, @Zachary and @Jay to get their own podcast.

@ZJ has to post his interview with me now!

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Podcasts on NG are a Thing Now. 2015-02-19 10:16:25

Tom, I have a question regarding newspost comments.

Do you think there could be a way for users to toggle between newest-first and oldest-first? so that users can have a choice?. Like many others, I'm not really fond of the change.

'Toggle' being the big word here.

Cartoonist lad, occasional BBS poster and all-round human hailing from the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

NOTICE: Anyone caught posting A.I. 'art' on Newgrounds.com will have their balls ripped off and flushed down the toilet.

BBS Signature

Response to Podcasts on NG are a Thing Now. 2015-02-19 11:41:36

At 2/18/15 01:38 PM, TomFulp wrote: The filesize limit for ALL audio has now been raised to 250 megs

Sweet!

While we're talking about the Audio Portal, also check out this NG Radio beta by @BrenTheMan! It works great on phones, so you can stream NG at the gym and stuff.

Works great so far, and I'm excited to see where it goes from here. Just needs a few more genres and some more bells and whistles and NG Radio could kick some competitive ass in time to come. As is, I like it.

Random question: What have you enjoyed the most so far in 2015?

Well, I'd say college, but I think that's just the band classes that I'm obsessed with, and there have been a lot of exciting things so far, like almost dying in Pensacola (funnest thing ever, really), cashing in on some fancy new gadgets, and oodles of road trips. It's been a good 1 1/2 months. :)

Your source for monthly music producer freebies here // Take My Cymbals // ALL my big sample projects, FREE

I do professional audio critique & commissions. Catch me on YT and X! If you got music, I'll playlist you!

BBS Signature

Response to Podcasts on NG are a Thing Now. 2015-02-19 13:43:53

This is quite awesome. I can definitely see myself filling in the extended gaps of doing animations with further updates, requests, regular life talks, and ideas and/or innovations. This podcast thing has a lot of potential. Will be on the lookout for podcasts.

Animate or go home

Response to Podcasts on NG are a Thing Now. 2015-02-19 14:29:01

I can't wait to post that one shitty podcast we did in 2008.

Imma do it.

Response to Podcasts on NG are a Thing Now. 2015-02-19 14:50:02

Cool, I can put up my audiobook.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dc_9tzNb-I

If I offer to help you in a post, PM me to get it. I often forget to revisit threads.

Want 180+ free PSP games? Try these links! - Flash - Homebrew (OFW)

Response to Podcasts on NG are a Thing Now. 2015-02-19 15:40:14

WOW! This is soooo awesome!!
I am honored for being the first podcaster here on Newgrounds! This kicks so much butt!! Thanks @Tomfulp for supporting!!

I upload my music podcast every monday, so heads up everybody!! ;)

Response to Podcasts on NG are a Thing Now. 2015-02-19 17:47:40

That sounds great. Its so hard to find podcasts that aren't just massively popular or extremely niche, which is a shame because I always find myself looking for more humorous audio to listen to...

cumfart

BBS Signature

Response to Podcasts on NG are a Thing Now. 2015-02-19 18:01:59

Sounds good. I might use this feature.

just call me "Jay", thanks.

ask me questions i guess

Profile Image by https://twitter.com/Momochii_art

Response to Podcasts on NG are a Thing Now. 2015-02-19 19:00:17

Podcasts are great, but what about chat and the whistle blowing system (on games/movies)?

Response to Podcasts on NG are a Thing Now. 2015-02-19 19:45:21

Cool to hear that Newgrounds is keeping things current.

"I am a part of all that I have met."- Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Response to Podcasts on NG are a Thing Now. 2015-02-19 21:25:55

At 2/18/15 01:38 PM, TomFulp wrote: Audio Forum regulars may be aware that @YouriX has put together a great NG Audio Portal Podcast. To better accommodate him, along with anyone else who wants to share a Podcast, we now have an official Podcast category in the Audio Portal!

That audio portal podcast was more entertaining than I was anticipating. Made me wonder if it would be as entertaining to have @asandir try some of his interviews as podcast q&a's I guess kind of like zj's interview with you except with good questions!

Also first post. Xoxo

None

BBS Signature

Response to Podcasts on NG are a Thing Now. 2015-02-19 23:54:38

At 2/18/15 01:38 PM, TomFulp wrote: The filesize limit for ALL audio has now been raised to 250 megs, so you can get pretty nuts - just keep in mind that people may be listening on their phones and try to keep your compression within reason!

inb4 10min orchestral opus magnums!

or 20 min ear bleeding blam fodder....

Response to Podcasts on NG are a Thing Now. 2015-02-20 05:31:21

At 2/19/15 11:54 PM, Phyrnna wrote: inb4 10min orchestral opus magnums!

or 20 min ear bleeding blam fodder....

Does blamming exist for the audio portal? I thought it existed only for the Flash portal.

Slint approves of me! | "This is Newgrounds.com, not Disney.com" - WadeFulp

"Sit look rub panda" - Alan Davies

BBS Signature

Response to Podcasts on NG are a Thing Now. 2015-02-20 15:14:42

At 2/20/15 01:34 PM, Zachary wrote: Why can't we upload audio files to the dump?

Piracy.

If you make it so we can, can we get a player on the page of the dump for the file?

Sure, anything else we can get for you? Maybe a back massage? :)

Pretty please @BrenTheMan

PS edits don't notify. I just happened upon this.

Response to Podcasts on NG are a Thing Now. 2015-02-20 15:33:42

At 2/20/15 03:30 PM, Zachary wrote: Well that's not a very good reason for inconvenience! People can just zip full albums and upload them lol.

I actually really don't know. I'd say lack of time more than anything at this point.

Yes please, it's awfully cold outside today and I'd love some hot chocolate. Don't forget the whipped cream and exactly 7 tiny marshmallows molded into cute little dicks

Wade is on his way.

fix that shittttttt

I already asked about this...it's quite a technical challenge, long story short, so it's purposefully left like this.

Response to Podcasts on NG are a Thing Now. 2015-02-20 19:38:59

This is great! Some of my friends and I were thinking of starting a podcast...now we can put it on NG. :D

"Time's fun when you're having flies." ~Kermit the Frog

BBS Signature

Response to Podcasts on NG are a Thing Now. 2015-02-21 01:06:08

I made this script to add a volume slider to the radio if anyone's interested.
Just open up your javascript console and paste it in.

//ng audio
var volume=document.createElement("input");
volume.type="range";
volume.max=100;
volume.value=document.getElementById("radio-player").volume*100;
volume.onchange=function(){document.getElementById("radio-player").volume=parseInt(this.value)/100};
document.body.appendChild(volume);

You are reading this

Response to Podcasts on NG are a Thing Now. 2015-02-21 06:25:48

At 2/18/15 02:03 PM, DBuck-Eye wrote: Good news! I'd really like to listen to the audio portal more, but it's a bit cumbersome to navigate, and the player has a tendency to produce an awful grinding sounds every so often/crash my browser or computer :/

I agree! Sometimes it'll make nasty clicks and pops and skips. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if some audio submissions ratings were negatively affected by this as well (example -- someone rated something badly because they thought the clicks and pops and skips were present in the song and not a fault of the Newgrounds audio player)

Could it be possible for someone to implement a stripped-down player? I think that might help tremendously. One which removes all the visual effects for example, as I assume those to be quite processing-intensive and while that may or may not solve the problems, at the very least it should run more efficiently.

Visual effects are nice eye candy and all, but sometimes what you really need is a stripped-down bare-bones does-one-job-and-does-it-well solution, know what I'm saying? Something like this could get more people listening to more of the audio portal work as well.

Want to play Flash games on Newgrounds again? See here

Response to Podcasts on NG are a Thing Now. 2015-02-21 10:41:45

Well, I am going to take full advantage of this podcast functionality since I started an animation podcast with some other animators at the beginning of the year.

DOUBLE POST! BAM! I thought that was fixed.

Response to Podcasts on NG are a Thing Now. 2015-02-21 11:22:42

The NG radio is brilliant, though a bigger variety would be apreciated :)
Good job guys, and keep improving newgrounds.

Response to Podcasts on NG are a Thing Now. 2015-02-21 14:32:08

At 2/18/15 01:38 PM, TomFulp wrote: Audio Forum regulars may be aware that @YouriX has put together a great NG Audio Portal Podcast. To better accommodate him, along with anyone else who wants to share a Podcast, we now have an official Podcast category in the Audio Portal!

The filesize limit for ALL audio has now been raised to 250 megs, so you can get pretty nuts - just keep in mind that people may be listening on their phones and try to keep your compression within reason!

While we're talking about the Audio Portal, also check out this NG Radio beta by @BrenTheMan! It works great on phones, so you can stream NG at the gym and stuff.

And don't forget Pico Day is coming, April 25th!

A storytelling podcast based on characters from NG could be a valid audio entry for Pico Day and a fun way for some voice actors / musicians / sound effects artists to team up.

we've been keeping the newgrounds skype alive as well as getting closer relationships between the chat goers over the years. we really do care about this website and the addition of podcasts will boost the ratings 120% by my predictions ;)

we love you tom! keep the grounds goin, and we'll keep animating!

HI HOW ARE YOU?

Response to Podcasts on NG are a Thing Now. 2015-02-21 16:32:18

I Fucking love the NG Radio!
Now I can Fap While Listening To My Favorite tunes

BBS Signature

Response to Podcasts on NG are a Thing Now. 2015-02-21 16:58:13

At 2/21/15 06:25 AM, NeonSpider wrote: Could it be possible for someone to implement a stripped-down player?

We're definitely working on that.

At 2/21/15 11:22 AM, CoSSGames wrote: The NG radio is brilliant, though a bigger variety would be apreciated :)

More variety is coming!

Response to Podcasts on NG are a Thing Now. 2015-02-21 20:26:59

so will supporters be getting anything exclusive any time soon you know some of us buy all of the supporter upgrades and for others too, and being ad-free really isn't much of a incentive when you can go to your browsers extension/add-on store and get Adblock, hell I have adblocks that stop the ad in the games here on Newgrounds.