00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

JalenBrah just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

How does one act with voice?

1,461 Views | 10 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

How does one act with voice? 2014-12-13 00:47:09

I would like to give NewGround my voice, as my way to contribute to the community. I have doubts about my abilities, though. I don't know if it's my voice or what. I just feel uncomfortable about the best thing I can do. I've never thought about being a voice actor until a year or 2 ago. I don't know why I'm nervous.

I don't have a mic, either. I have a phone I can record on, but would that be good enough?

I'm not in the va community, at all, so I don't even know what kind of place I'm trying to walk into. How does this work? What do I do?

If you lived thru the pandemic this is your wake up call to stop being a shithead.

Response to How does one act with voice? 2014-12-13 01:04:10

At 12/13/14 12:47 AM, Nekoyoujo wrote: I would like to give NewGround my voice, as my way to contribute to the community. I have doubts about my abilities, though. I don't know if it's my voice or what. I just feel uncomfortable about the best thing I can do. I've never thought about being a voice actor until a year or 2 ago. I don't know why I'm nervous.

I don't have a mic, either. I have a phone I can record on, but would that be good enough?

I'm not in the va community, at all, so I don't even know what kind of place I'm trying to walk into. How does this work? What do I do?

Ah it's easy, don't psyche yourself out. The place you're walking into is mostly amateur and super casual, just folks enjoying their own respective hobbies. Most people will recommend a microphone like the Blue Yeti ($100) to get into animations and stuff, but you can always start practicing or even submitting your own private audio pieces with nothing more than what you have to get comfortable with it before spending money on a mic.

All you do is look for people who need voice actors and audition by recording yourself doing the audition lines and sending it to them. It's really nothing fancy. It's like one guy said to me when I was explaining what I did for fun, and he was like "Just talking. That's all you're saying you do." and while most will say that's a massive understatement, I'd say that it's not too far off from what I do. Don't get too worried about it and just jump in. You'll know if you enjoy it enough to keep it up or not.

BBS Signature

Response to How does one act with voice? 2014-12-13 02:29:01

1. Never doubt yourself
2. Your voice is your voice, HELLO I AM TALKING WOW
3. Use your nerves, create nervous characters at first if it helps
4. If you don't have a mic, using the nearest toaster is acceptable
5. Disregard that ^ and look into condenser microphones if you ever want to be taken seriously as a voice actor
6. Have fun and express yourself in as many voices as you want!

BBS Signature

Response to How does one act with voice? 2014-12-13 11:10:52

At 12/13/14 02:29 AM, Blordow wrote: 1. Never doubt yourself
5. Disregard that ^ and look into condenser microphones if you ever want to be taken seriously as a voice actor

This is very good advice! I recommend following it. It was a few years ago I decided I wanted to do voice acting, and I had no idea where to start. I ended up in some weird place on the internet doing voices with my headset. Everyone kept saying "You sound great! If it weren't for the poor mic quality I'd say you can be professional." Now, there isn't a magical microphone that will give you your voice acting super powers, but a good microphone is important if you want to be working with people who develop high quality content. Good luck! :)

Voice of Pipistrella in Pit People, Riley from Zonestream. Voice of Lily, Aurora and Lenora in Everwing

Response to How does one act with voice? 2014-12-13 12:14:35

Dont be nervous. Everyone needs to start somewhere ^_^

But you can use that like other people have said here, you can turn it into a character. The biggest thing I can tell you is to remember to have fun. Because voice acting IS fun and awesome!!! Everyone has their own unique skill and abilities. That what helps make this community so amazing!!

Give it a try, play around with things. Dont be nervous, just be you ^_^

Response to How does one act with voice? 2014-12-15 03:32:53

I second this information. Keep this in mind! Remember to have fun with it and to have an open mind toward growth in your first few steps in voice acting. Practice makes perfect! (Or at least an improvement)

Response to How does one act with voice? 2014-12-15 03:40:48

At 12/13/14 01:04 AM, SirUndead wrote:
Ah it's easy, don't psyche yourself out. The place you're walking into is mostly amateur and super casual, just folks enjoying their own respective hobbies. Most people will recommend a microphone like the Blue Yeti ($100) to get into animations and stuff, but you can always start practicing or even submitting your own private audio pieces with nothing more than what you have to get comfortable with it before spending money on a mic.

All you do is look for people who need voice actors and audition by recording yourself doing the audition lines and sending it to them. It's really nothing fancy. It's like one guy said to me when I was explaining what I did for fun, and he was like "Just talking. That's all you're saying you do." and while most will say that's a massive understatement, I'd say that it's not too far off from what I do. Don't get too worried about it and just jump in. You'll know if you enjoy it enough to keep it up or not.

Very many thanks for the advice. It makes me feel a lot more comforted about the idea of getting into the groove of the craft.

At 12/13/14 11:10 AM, Piper wrote:
This is very good advice! I recommend following it. It was a few years ago I decided I wanted to do voice acting, and I had no idea where to start. I ended up in some weird place on the internet doing voices with my headset. Everyone kept saying "You sound great! If it weren't for the poor mic quality I'd say you can be professional." Now, there isn't a magical microphone that will give you your voice acting super powers, but a good microphone is important if you want to be working with people who develop high quality content. Good luck! :)

I like #3.
Very many thanks for the advice!

Very many thankls for your story and advice, as well, Piper!

At 12/13/14 12:14 PM, SailorSilverStar wrote: Dont be nervous. Everyone needs to start somewhere ^_^

But you can use that like other people have said here, you can turn it into a character. The biggest thing I can tell you is to remember to have fun. Because voice acting IS fun and awesome!!! Everyone has their own unique skill and abilities. That what helps make this community so amazing!!

Give it a try, play around with things. Dont be nervous, just be you ^_^

Very many thanks for the advice and kind words! I know people get serious about being a va, but it's just like any other craft, isn't it?

I was nervous because it was proposed to me as something you don't do for fun. You have to work your way up to a pro level so you can do it for pay. That idea is so restrictive and scary. I'm glad to see people that enjoy and can go so far as to call it "fun".

I feel like I would make a good live-action performer, but with the way people are so obsessed with other peoples' business it's disgusting. And, I don't want to be stereotyped or type-casted. The VA world is a lot less scary than that. But, it's still acting, which made my nervous.

I'll give it a shoot and see what happens. Thanks to all for posting!

If you lived thru the pandemic this is your wake up call to stop being a shithead.

Response to How does one act with voice? 2014-12-15 18:41:37

At 12/15/14 03:40 AM, Nekoyoujo wrote:
Very many thanks for the advice and kind words! I know people get serious about being a va, but it's just like any other craft, isn't it?

I was nervous because it was proposed to me as something you don't do for fun. You have to work your way up to a pro level so you can do it for pay. That idea is so restrictive and scary. I'm glad to see people that enjoy and can go so far as to call it "fun".

I feel like I would make a good live-action performer, but with the way people are so obsessed with other peoples' business it's disgusting. And, I don't want to be stereotyped or type-casted. The VA world is a lot less scary than that. But, it's still acting, which made my nervous.

I'll give it a shoot and see what happens. Thanks to all for posting!

Absolutely!!!

I'll be honest with you. When I came on here it was just to grow my voice and get more experience nad learn more about voice acting. What feels like over night I have been in some awesome projects and met very talented people but i always remembered to have fun. Now, still have fun of course, I am in a paying series!!! Its a erotic series called Stone Sorceress but it do get some money from it.

The important thing is to be professional of course but not take it to serious otherwise you work yourself up and get panicky. As long as you are enjoying yourself and are able to laugh a little too you should be fine! ^_^

Maybe we'll get to be in a project together ^_^

I look forward to what you bring us here on Newgrounds! ^_^ Good luck!!!

Response to How does one act with voice? 2014-12-16 02:09:54

I'll admit, that I'm not much of a V/A person. I'm going to be frank and admit I'm more of a hobbyist; my passion lies more with ideas and editing. But I've noticed a reason why I can bring energy and nuances to my performance was a mix of practice with others (my schools often had reader's theater), and the fact I ate books for breakfast. Both are very important as far as I know, since practice allows you more opportunities to find what you do and expand on it, and the latter builds prosody and fluency; two very important things when you want to act in any way, because you usually work off the script.

BBS Signature

Response to How does one act with voice? 2014-12-17 00:50:06

At 12/15/14 06:41 PM, SailorSilverStar wrote: Absolutely!!!

I'll be honest with you. When I came on here it was just to grow my voice and get more experience nad learn more about voice acting. What feels like over night I have been in some awesome projects and met very talented people but i always remembered to have fun. Now, still have fun of course, I am in a paying series!!! Its a erotic series called Stone Sorceress but it do get some money from it.

The important thing is to be professional of course but not take it to serious otherwise you work yourself up and get panicky. As long as you are enjoying yourself and are able to laugh a little too you should be fine! ^_^

Maybe we'll get to be in a project together ^_^

I look forward to what you bring us here on Newgrounds! ^_^ Good luck!!!

I understand what you mean. It's cool that you're doing something for pay now! I thought of that as a required path up the chain. I don't know what professnialism means in voicing, but I know if I stay with it I'll find out.

Very many thanks! It helps to know I'll be a part of a fun community with nice people!

At 12/16/14 02:09 AM, Keisok wrote: Both are very important as far as I know, since practice allows you more opportunities to find what you do and expand on it, and the latter builds prosody and fluency; two very important things when you want to act in any way, because you usually work off the script.

I'm not so much worried about all that. I feel like I can't myself in the place of a character I won't.

Thanks for commenting!

Response to How does one act with voice? 2014-12-17 15:45:58

At 12/17/14 12:50 AM, Nekoyoujo wrote:
I understand what you mean. It's cool that you're doing something for pay now! I thought of that as a required path up the chain. I don't know what professnialism means in voicing, but I know if I stay with it I'll find out.

Very many thanks! It helps to know I'll be a part of a fun community with nice people!

Best I can tell you about professionalism in the voice acting world is of course be prompt with your recordings, obviously life happens and can delay things but do try your best to get your lines in quickly, BELIEVE ME your animator (whom ever you are sending your stuff to) will GREATLY appreciate it!!

ALWAYS do multiple takes!! I always try to do atleast 3 takes of a line, minimum! Even if you feel you nailed it on the first take try atleast one more take.

Do not bad mouth other actors. This is a very small community believe it or not. There are chances you will work with each other on other projects so of course its good to have a good repoir with everyone. Just be pleasant ^_^ like if you and person X were trying out for the same role and person X got it, be happy for them not spiteful, it gets you nowhere.

Dont feel bad about not getting a part. Remember this is all for fun ^_^ (for now)