00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Wonpaz just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Singing in the car

1,442 Views | 13 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Do you guys ever find yourselves trying to emulate the styles of whatever singers you're listening to, especially while you're alone? If so, which singers do you most enjoy mimicking?

Personally, I really enjoy trying to sing like Matt Shultz of Cage the Elephant.

Response to Singing in the car 2014-12-12 20:25:54

Hah, I never stop. Good practice probably, but that's just an excuse, truth is I just enjoy it.

Every song I know, no specific singers really. Mostly blues. Johnny Cash, Leroy Carr, Hugh Laurie.

BBS Signature

Response to Singing in the car 2014-12-12 20:29:35

At 12/12/14 08:25 PM, SirUndead wrote: Hah, I never stop. Good practice probably, but that's just an excuse, truth is I just enjoy it.

Every song I know, no specific singers really. Mostly blues. Johnny Cash, Leroy Carr, Hugh Laurie.

Ah yeah Cash, Ring of Fire's one of my favorites.

Response to Singing in the car 2014-12-12 22:09:29

Singing to myself, talking to myself, making random and nonsensical noises to myself...there's not a lot I don't do while I'm alone in the car.

Response to Singing in the car 2014-12-12 22:22:02 (edited 2014-12-12 22:22:48)

It's interesting you bring this up. Because I feel like a lot of us as voice actors are kind of like audio-chameleons. No matter the voice, high pitched, low, male or female, I usually assume the cadence, tone and texture of the person singing, even if I'm not producing an exact match or even close at all for that matter. The same thing seems to happen to me if I've been hanging out with someone with an accent. I'll sometimes open my mouth to speak and a bit of their voice will come out. I get so nervous, thinking, what if they think I'm making fun of them. Oh no!

Voice of Pipistrella in Pit People, Riley from Zonestream. Voice of Lily, Aurora and Lenora in Everwing

Response to Singing in the car 2014-12-12 22:50:58

There's not a moment when I'm not singing in my car.

Response to Singing in the car 2014-12-12 22:52:46

I do it because I'm tone deaf and can't sing without it being a duet.

Response to Singing in the car 2014-12-12 22:53:49

At 12/12/14 10:22 PM, Piper wrote: It's interesting you bring this up. Because I feel like a lot of us as voice actors are kind of like audio-chameleons. No matter the voice, high pitched, low, male or female, I usually assume the cadence, tone and texture of the person singing, even if I'm not producing an exact match or even close at all for that matter. The same thing seems to happen to me if I've been hanging out with someone with an accent. I'll sometimes open my mouth to speak and a bit of their voice will come out. I get so nervous, thinking, what if they think I'm making fun of them. Oh no!

It's kind of funny you say that. I feel like when your voice is constantly changing that you kind of develop your own kind of vocal quirks and habits. I personally think that I've accumulated a bit of an accent that wasn't entirely there before. No one else in my family talks the way I do now and I constantly get asked if I grew up in Canada, or a northern state despite me living in Texas most of my life. It's a curious thing.

Response to Singing in the car 2014-12-13 11:04:40

At 12/12/14 10:22 PM, Piper wrote: I'll sometimes open my mouth to speak and a bit of their voice will come out. I get so nervous, thinking, what if they think I'm making fun of them. Oh no!

This has happened to me with people I'd only just met. THAT can get awkward.

Response to Singing in the car 2014-12-13 17:46:33

Practicing in the car is imperative for me

I used to do singing performances a lot. We would all have our own piece to put towards a show (this applies to many of the settings I performed in so just being general). My friends and coaches would always tell me to go out to the car to get my track so that I could show them/we could go over it together. They knew I had it in the car because everyone did, it was just a given! Singing in the car has been an invaluable resource to me. You're alone, you can hear yourself very well, and there is always time for practice on the way to wherever you're going! Only downside is making funny faces at the other drivers... ha, like I care! They can laugh at me all they want. ;3

Response to Singing in the car 2014-12-13 17:49:42

At 12/12/14 10:22 PM, Piper wrote: The same thing seems to happen to me if I've been hanging out with someone with an accent. I'll sometimes open my mouth to speak and a bit of their voice will come out. I get so nervous, thinking, what if they think I'm making fun of them. Oh no!

Oh my goodness, this happens to me SO MUCH. I work at a thai restaurant with Thai, Japanese, Mexican, and Korean friends, so I pick all of it up just a little, and I'm always so self conscious about it. Also my boyfriend is Scottish, but I feel totally comfortable making fun of his accent.. anyway, point is, you can pretty much tell who I've been hanging out with based off of my accent of the day. lol

Response to Singing in the car 2014-12-14 01:02:23

At 12/13/14 11:04 AM, SuperBastard wrote: This has happened to me with people I'd only just met. THAT can get awkward.

Oh, yes. Can relate!

At 12/13/14 05:49 PM, gamecatt wrote: point is, you can pretty much tell who I've been hanging out with based off of my accent of the day. lol

Hahaha. I can sooo relate to this. My mom could tell who I'd been hanging out with that day just by the way I spoke. And my friends didn't have accents really, just their own way of talking. So actually this got me into trouble when I was told to stop hanging out with certain people because of their bad influence, or was grounded. xD

Voice of Pipistrella in Pit People, Riley from Zonestream. Voice of Lily, Aurora and Lenora in Everwing

Response to Singing in the car 2014-12-15 17:52:23

I love singing and will do it almost anywhere, but it's like what's been said. I just try to emulate who I'm listening to. I usually end up with a lot of the higher-pitched rock songs of the 80's. I end up killing my voice trying to hit as high as some of those singers like Freddie Mercury, for instance. I think I might have caused some internal bleeding trying to hit that high note in Bohemian Rhapsody. Steven Tyler, David Lee Roth, Michael Jackson, Brad Delp, and Jon Bon Jovi all sing songs that strain my voice.

One singer I try and constantly fail to sound like is James Hetfield. Metallica's fun to sing with when I'm mad, but I can not sing like him no matter how I try.

Response to Singing in the car 2014-12-16 03:06:04

At 12/15/14 05:52 PM, Noves wrote: I end up killing my voice trying to hit as high as some of those singers like Freddie Mercury, for instance.

I can sympathize with this all too well. A lot of the time I'll reach my destination with hardly any voice left to say "hi."