00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Schwicky just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Battle for the Net

12,200 Views | 66 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Battle for the Net 2014-09-10 16:13:42

At 9/10/14 04:05 PM, TomFulp wrote: This sort of thing drives me nuts. There are towns in the US that have built their own Google Fiber-speed networks that serve THE PEOPLE and like you said, towns in other states can't do that because their representatives are in the pocket of Verizon and Comcast, even when Verizon and Comcast won't deliver their degraded version of high speed service to the people.

Tell me about it!

I grew up in a small town. We only had like 1000 residents. Nobody wanted to provide us service. We couldn't even get cable TV! So back in the 80s a local guy linked up our town (and a couple others if I recall) to cable TV. He built a little office with a garage and bought a cherry picker pickup truck and installed some satellite receivers and ran cable.

Then in the 90s we were stuck on 56k when everyone else was getting cable and DSL service. The little local telecom got together with the town board and they got some grants to start providing cable internet. By the 2000s we were hoooked up with high speed internet. These past few years they've begun an initiative to ensure that 95% of students at our little public school are connected to high speed internet at home. They've won grants and awards for their work.

But if we lived in another state we would still be stuck on 56k dialup to this day. Our market wasn't worth while for anyone to invest into the infrastructure but one guy was able to work something out on a local level. They didn't even get cell phone towers until a couple of years ago and only because the state gave big incentives to Verizon Wireless after some people died because they got in car crashes on rural roads in winter and had no service to call for help.

¥ ♡ ¥ BBS, Review and Chat Mod - PM for help or to snitch! ¥ ♡ ¥

¥ ♡ ¥ Sig pic by Pingu ¥ ♡ ¥

BBS Signature

Response to Battle for the Net 2014-09-10 16:16:25

I pay 50$ a year for my vpn on a prepaid payment

also no matter what public wifi will always be a thing.

"who are you to decide what is right and wrong? where do you draw that line?"

BBS Signature

Response to Battle for the Net 2014-09-10 17:25:19

I'm really glad you guys are participating in this. NG never fails to make me proud ;_;7

Response to Battle for the Net 2014-09-10 18:10:43

Signed!

And even sharks are attacking the internet! Read about it here!

Response to Battle for the Net 2014-09-10 18:13:57

You know I'd love to help you, but facts are the more privatised the internet is, the wealthier I get. And I need all I can get in order to find what I've been searching for all these years...
Still, as a favor to a friend, if it comes down to it I'll make sure Newgrounds is not harmed.

Response to Battle for the Net 2014-09-10 18:21:41

I signed it and am going to call my congressional representative at 8:00 PM. Let's hope that we pull through and beat these fucking bastards together.

Response to Battle for the Net 2014-09-10 18:41:13

Signed the petition and contacted my representative. This shit terrifies me, but I'm determined to do what I can to help. We can fight this just like we did with SOPA.

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to Battle for the Net 2014-09-10 18:44:58

Wow the situation is worse than I thought....so much F***ing greed....

Response to Battle for the Net 2014-09-10 19:12:27

fucking greedy scum of the earth i wish they would all do us a solid AND drop DEAD and i know you want them to do that to

Response to Battle for the Net 2014-09-10 19:21:06

how utterly pointless. its gonna happen eventually.

Response to Battle for the Net 2014-09-10 19:30:20

I may be on the other side of the world, but this affects me too. Damn right. I should have signed this with my capslock on.

BBS Signature

Response to Battle for the Net 2014-09-10 19:39:15

At 9/10/14 02:12 PM, Pegasu wrote:
At 9/10/14 11:12 AM, Magical-Zorse wrote: Newgrounds Suicide Pact anyone?
I'm in, I've always wanted to be part of one! Also, as I'm outside the US it's the only way to colaborate yay

Ehhhh, suicide pact collab 2012. You had to be there to not be here.

quarl BandCamp

Response to Battle for the Net 2014-09-10 19:43:25

Signed. Donated. Shared. Bought a Team Internet T-Shirt. FOR HONOR!!!

To balance one's oneness. Everyone is you but to be immersed we must lie to ourselves and think we are separate, just enough to put on a show for us, by us, with us, forever.

BBS Signature

Response to Battle for the Net 2014-09-10 19:49:18

Someone should make a animation about internet freedom with guns, blade , blood and stuff then we can send then to all the social media site and it will spread like wildfire. People will subcome to the hyponotic effect of the video and began protesting while most of them not even knowing what they are protesting against. With all the chaos going on in the system corperations will have no chioce but to subcome to the voice of the people. So if anyone can see this message plz help make this a reality join the good fight so we wouldn't have to drink radiated water like in Fallout 3.
O shit my RAD almost reached 1000.

Battle for the Net

Response to Battle for the Net 2014-09-10 19:53:00

At 9/10/14 07:43 PM, Funny-Man wrote: Signed. Donated. Shared. Bought a Team Internet T-Shirt. FOR HONOR!!!

Been spamming the stuffing out of everyone's newsfeed and they're in a daze about what today is. YER USING INTERNETZ RIGHT NOW RIGHT? YOU WANT THAT BYE BYE? lulz

To balance one's oneness. Everyone is you but to be immersed we must lie to ourselves and think we are separate, just enough to put on a show for us, by us, with us, forever.

BBS Signature

Response to Battle for the Net 2014-09-10 20:32:26

I signed the petition, but wasnt too keen on sharing it. Not because I didnt want to, but because i didnt want to but becaise i was afraid to flame my friends on facebook with links to the site. Anyhow them filthy money hogging jews wanted our money, and now they want our internet.
Glad to see newgrounds has joined in the ongoing war.
Maybe there is no point and it will happen, and if it does the least we can do is slow them down and give them a hell of a time doing it. Or maybe we can pester them enough to make them decide its not worth it and quit. Or....
They take our money and charge us for internet. They say we can't win, theres no point.
Prove.
Them.
Wrong.

Hello...

Response to Battle for the Net 2014-09-10 20:46:41

At 9/10/14 11:07 AM, TomFulp wrote:

You couldn't even watch a 720p video in the afternoon without it buffering constantly. This was due to a dispute between Verizon and Cogent, our bandwidth provider.

I was WONDERING why any time I wanted to watch a movie it kept saying that my Shockwave is not responding!
It has done that to me with games sometimes too!

Jei M

Response to Battle for the Net 2014-09-10 20:48:58

At 9/10/14 11:07 AM, TomFulp wrote:
You couldn't even watch a 720p video in the afternoon without it buffering constantly. This was due to a dispute between Verizon and Cogent, our bandwidth provider.

I was WONDERING why any time I wanted to watch a movie it kept saying that my Shockwave is not responding!

It has done that to me with games sometimes too!
At 9/10/14 11:07 AM, TomFulp wrote: You probably noticed the little spinning wheel overlay in the top right corner of NG today. Sorry if it's a CPU hog or if you thought you had a virus.

I did kind of think I had a virus. Thank you for clearing this up for us.

(Note: The quoting things is kind of tricky, so I hope I got it right this time. *D'OH!* if I do not... I wish there was a chance to edit any posts we make.)

Jei M

Response to Battle for the Net 2014-09-10 20:55:30

I signed the petition. I just had to. The so-called "Internet fast lane" is really the same lane that we are using right now. The only difference is that everyone else is pushed into the "slow lane". CGP Grey explains more here.

Response to Battle for the Net 2014-09-10 21:42:36

At 9/10/14 11:07 AM, TomFulp wrote: Today is Internet Slowdown Day.

Great, I was at work and missed everything.

I'm Del Rio

I like to draw comics and stuff

My Art Thread

Response to Battle for the Net 2014-09-10 23:51:27

FIGHT FOR THE INTERNET! I'm with everyone else in this battle.

Battle for the Net

Response to Battle for the Net 2014-09-11 00:45:14

At 9/10/14 10:48 PM, Kitsune-Kay wrote: For me, Newgrounds works fine for me. I haven't been on Newgrounds in a while, so I must have missed this.

It works perfectly fine to me, but if it works for other people in the US, would that be because of the different providers that others have?

I think it is just if you have Comcast and Verizon... I could be wrong though.

Jei M

Response to Battle for the Net 2014-09-11 00:48:17

At 9/11/14 12:45 AM, jeim wrote: I think it is just if you have Comcast and Verizon... I could be wrong though.

Meaning if you have either Comcast or Verizon, you could be experiencing this problem.

Jei M

Response to Battle for the Net 2014-09-11 03:01:48

At 9/10/14 12:05 PM, Gimmick wrote: Move overseas problem solved

Battle for the Net

Solwings formerly dalexj1337 - Being a sped online since 2014

BBS Signature

Response to Battle for the Net 2014-09-11 04:13:09

At 9/11/14 03:01 AM, DalexJ1337 wrote:
At 9/10/14 12:05 PM, Gimmick wrote: Move overseas problem solved

lol
Try developing countries, stuff is el cheapo over there

Slint approves of me! | "This is Newgrounds.com, not Disney.com" - WadeFulp

"Sit look rub panda" - Alan Davies

BBS Signature

Response to Battle for the Net 2014-09-11 04:47:39

Definitely support net neutrality. But my immediate thought when I saw that little thing pop onto my screen was, "adware." Maybe throw a tankman on there or something.

Response to Battle for the Net 2014-09-11 05:12:39

I'm surprised I hadn't heard of this before, considering Oliver's video on that page was from early July. Such an important thing. It's definitely something worth fighting for, so: glad to see NG joining in! And glad that banner wasn't a virus. :P Also surprised NG isn't listed on the list of huge corporations battling this creeping menace hmm. Not sure if I should sign that letter with a non-US address... but wth, why not. There's also that FCC comment section, still open for public filings on why this change should not be happening.

The latest: Hexa #97 (May)

BBS Signature

Response to Battle for the Net 2014-09-11 06:34:43

At 9/10/14 11:12 AM, Magical-Zorse wrote: Newgrounds Suicide Pact anyone?

I got my rat poison ready

Response to Battle for the Net 2014-09-11 06:43:05

Why don't we do the smart thing and find were these idiots live, slit there throats, murder their families, burn the company buildings into charred ash and then enjoy the internet? Mass murder would solve this really quick, same for a riot. We need to riot more often, seems to work the best.

guinea pigs rule

BBS Signature

Response to Battle for the Net 2014-09-11 06:57:49

+1 from me , internet is freedom , nothing less.