00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Peacock6k just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Why do people call things "gay"?

3,006 Views | 67 Replies

Why do people call things "gay"? 2004-06-09 06:00:00

What's the deal with that?

I'm Darwin7 you can keep the change

BBS Signature

Response to Why do people call things "gay"? 2004-06-09 06:02:35

At 6/9/04 06:00 AM, Darwin7 wrote: What's the deal with that?

Well, that's a faily complex question, it's manily just a habbit, like the default insult. And as for developing that habbit, they are probly closet gays that can't deal with their sexuality so they use the term in a derogitory mannor. And well, everyone calles heaps of stuff gay nower days, heaps of people pick it up.

Response to Why do people call things "gay"? 2004-06-09 06:03:32

Some people are homophobes, some are so warped by society that they don't know what else to say, and others are just stating that something is homosexual.

Response to Why do people call things "gay"? 2004-06-09 06:03:58

Because it's homosexual.

you didn't see nothing, capisce?

Response to Why do people call things "gay"? 2004-06-09 06:06:44

Here's what I'd like to know. At what point were homosexuals or those inferring slander towards homosexuals allowed to hijack the word gay which originally meant elation and joy?

I also wonder if people who simply say something is 'gay' realise that the word itself is no more than a description of sexual preference or joy and when used outside of any context is essentially meaningless?

Response to Why do people call things "gay"? 2004-06-09 06:07:24

At 6/9/04 06:02 AM, MATT-WORLD wrote:
Well, that's a faily complex question, it's manily just a habbit, like the default insult. And as for developing that habbit, they are probly closet gays that can't deal with their sexuality so they use the term in a derogitory mannor. And well, everyone calles heaps of stuff gay nower days, heaps of people pick it up.

nah, i dont go with that!

just cos people use it as an insult, it doesn;t mean that they are in denial about their sexuality...

its just an insult..

if u call sum1 a "dick head" it doesn't mean that u are insecure about ur head, penis or the penis on ur head... as i said, its just an insult...

Response to Why do people call things "gay"? 2004-06-09 06:15:37

Exactly. Gay seems to be a pretty damn popular insult, and because I call someone gay doesn't mean I am actually a homosexual.

you didn't see nothing, capisce?

Response to Why do people call things "gay"? 2004-06-09 06:16:47

people call people gay because they have heard it in use and started using it themselves.

Response to Why do people call things "gay"? 2004-06-09 06:36:38

At 6/9/04 06:07 AM, angryFace wrote: nah, i dont go with that!

just cos people use it as an insult, it doesn;t mean that they are in denial about their sexuality...

its just an insult..

if u call sum1 a "dick head" it doesn't mean that u are insecure about ur head, penis or the penis on ur head... as i said, its just an insult...

Ah, i didn't stereo type everyone that says gay as being in denial, but sometimes that is the case.

Response to Why do people call things "gay"? 2004-06-09 07:23:53

At 6/9/04 06:15 AM, Slash808 wrote: Exactly. Gay seems to be a pretty damn popular insult, and because I call someone gay doesn't mean I am actually a homosexual.

People cant think of anything intelligent to use for a review to they resort to something that has been used 100,000 times before them. Some people are like sheep, all they do is follow eachother.

Response to Why do people call things "gay"? 2004-06-09 07:28:29

No other word to use?

Response to Why do people call things "gay"? 2004-06-09 07:35:40

I guess there are some ppl who seem to think that the word gay is the ultimate insult, one that can be used in any possible case and so they use it insted of thinking of a more suitable word.

If words were wisdom, I'd be talking even more.

Response to Why do people call things "gay"? 2004-06-09 12:19:40

At 6/9/04 06:06 AM, Jack_Deth_123 wrote: Here's what I'd like to know. At what point were homosexuals or those inferring slander towards homosexuals allowed to hijack the word gay which originally meant elation and joy?

It comes from back in the 50's and 60's when men would wear Green And Yellow pocketsquares to signify to other like-minded men.

Green
And
Yellow.

This has been brought to you by the letter 'L'

Response to Why do people call things "gay"? 2004-06-09 12:21:39

gay is a perfactly valid insult at my school.

no-one cares about the meaning,just the effect, I don't think anyone has anything against gays.

Response to Why do people call things "gay"? 2004-06-09 12:23:24

At 6/9/04 06:00 AM, Darwin7 wrote: Why do people call things gay ?

Because the things have homosexual tendancies.

FUCK

BBS Signature

Response to Why do people call things "gay"? 2004-06-09 12:24:10

because it can be considered as an insult?

derp

Response to Why do people call things "gay"? 2004-06-09 12:40:17

no idea. Gay means happy or homosexual or lesbian. People say ooh maths is gay, This song is gay, school is gay. I want to just turn round and shout SHUT THE FUCK UP YOU STUPID KIDS

Response to Why do people call things "gay"? 2004-06-09 12:49:15

I figure the word gay has been so taken out of context that it no longer means happy or joyous, or homosexual in nature. Just a lame and unoriginal way of saying something is bad.

Fun fact: The word lesbian originated from Greece. The city of Lesbos was full of homosexual women so they called them Lesbians.

Response to Why do people call things "gay"? 2004-06-09 12:51:50

The island was not 'full of lesbians.' The Greek poetess Sappho (a lesbian) was exiled there. Thus, the term 'Sapphic.'

Response to Why do people call things "gay"? 2004-06-09 12:53:45

they don't really mean those people are homosexual

it is just a word like asshole or something

like assholes are actullay holes....on an ass:

all off those words mean nothing

Response to Why do people call things "gay"? 2004-06-09 13:07:37

it's quite an interesting look into some sociology here. it first started meaning happy, then homosexual, and then a derogatory word. Three incarnations for the same word! Kind of interesting to think about how it started from something positive to its last form became pure slander.

Who knows? it may move on to another meaning or two. Then again, derogatory words don't ever really budge from that spot since they become useless at that point.

What I want to know is how the rainbow went from something halfway cool and got hijacked along the way. The original atari logo was a rainbow and represented all people. It was damn cool to have a rainbow atari logo shirt back then. http://zoontf.stone-env.com/html/art/comp/thumbs/atari_desktop.jpg The triangle got hijacked too! Wasn't 1 symbol enough?

Response to Why do people call things "gay"? 2004-06-09 13:14:39

At 6/9/04 01:07 PM, DanPaladin wrote: it's quite an interesting look into some sociology here. it first started meaning happy, then homosexual, and then a derogatory word. Three incarnations for the same word! Kind of interesting to think about how it started from something positive to its last form became pure slander.

Um, if you read my explanation up above, you'll see how 'gay' became synonymous with homosexual.

The triangle got hijacked too! Wasn't 1 symbol enough?

The triangle was NOT hijacked. In the concentration camps during the Holocaust, gays were made to wear the pink triangle. Communists wore red, and so on. The rainbow? Thank Jesse Jackson for that one.

Response to Why do people call things "gay"? 2004-06-09 13:59:16

Usually because it is homosexual :/

Response to Why do people call things "gay"? 2004-06-09 14:03:06

At 6/9/04 07:23 AM, Klacid wrote: People cant think of anything intelligent to use for a review to they resort to something that has been used 100,000 times before them. Some people are like sheep, all they do is follow eachother.

now, now. there's nothing wrong with sheep

BBS Signature

Response to Why do people call things "gay"? 2004-06-09 14:04:55

Nothing wrong with sheep, indeed.

Mindless conformers is another matter altogether. ;)

Response to Why do people call things "gay"? 2004-06-09 14:28:07

i look at it this way, if homos can change the word gay from happy to homo then we can change it from homo to insult

Response to Why do people call things "gay"? 2004-06-09 14:31:34

It's just a word. Usually there is no homphobia behind it. If I said something was 'faggy' then no-one would get their knickers in a twist.

And anyway, surely the phrase, throwing a paddy is blantantly derogatory to Irish people, calling someone a 'woman' or a 'pussy' is horribly sexist, and half-cast had undertones of being half a person or half legitimate.

So don't complain. It's just... gay.

Response to Why do people call things "gay"? 2004-06-09 14:32:40

At 6/9/04 01:14 PM, Maus wrote:
At 6/9/04 01:07 PM, DanPaladin wrote: it's quite an interesting look into some sociology here. it first started meaning happy, then homosexual, and then a derogatory word. Three incarnations for the same word! Kind of interesting to think about how it started from something positive to its last form became pure slander.
Um, if you read my explanation up above, you'll see how 'gay' became synonymous with homosexual.

oh really? i had no idea you were the final law and say on everything. besides, i was addressing a different point as how the word started from one point and got to where it is now. you were addressing the middle transition only.

The triangle got hijacked too! Wasn't 1 symbol enough?
The triangle was NOT hijacked. In the concentration camps during the Holocaust, gays were made to wear the pink triangle. Communists wore red, and so on. The rainbow? Thank Jesse Jackson for that one.

thank you, jesse jackson. haha

Response to Why do people call things "gay"? 2004-06-09 14:37:29

At 6/9/04 02:32 PM, DanPaladin wrote: oh really? i had no idea you were the final law and say on everything.

And don't you forget it, Mister! Seriously, I figured you would be able to figure out the rest of the transition. People asked, so I answered. I figured you'd want a knowledgable (read: gay) source, so I came forward.
Instead of getting pissy, do your own research.

Response to Why do people call things "gay"? 2004-06-09 14:38:31

because its one of the most common curse words.

BBS Signature