00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Ryzmik just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Why do people call things "gay"?

3,010 Views | 67 Replies

Response to Why do people call things "gay"? 2004-06-09 15:13:27

Shutup, you big gay.

Response to Why do people call things "gay"? 2004-06-09 15:15:30

Calling something "gay" is the same as calling it "stupid" or "lame" or any equal put-down. It's just another common insult in today's world.

Response to Why do people call things "gay"? 2004-06-09 15:19:55

It means homosexual.

Response to Why do people call things "gay"? 2004-06-09 15:22:39

Gay, what an overly used word.

According to the dictionary it means "Happy".
According to political standards it means "Homosexual".
According to slang usage it means "Stupid".

Gay is such a gay word.

LOL.

Wi/Ht? #28

BBS Signature

Response to Why do people call things "gay"? 2004-06-09 15:31:43

At 6/9/04 02:32 PM, DanPaladin wrote:
it's quite an interesting look into some sociology here. it first started meaning happy, then homosexual, and then a derogatory word. Three incarnations for the same word! Kind of interesting to think about how it started from something positive to its last form became pure slander.

Ya I know, I hate when its used as an insult though. I have a few gay friends, and when someone uses gay as an insult, it means that it would be bad to be gay. I don't see anything wrong with it.

Oh, and did you ever want a sig Synj? Because it would be an honor to hook you up with one :)

BBS Signature

Response to Why do people call things "gay"? 2004-06-09 15:39:46

At 6/9/04 02:37 PM, Maus wrote:
At 6/9/04 02:32 PM, DanPaladin wrote: oh really? i had no idea you were the final law and say on everything.
And don't you forget it, Mister! Seriously, I figured you would be able to figure out the rest of the transition. People asked, so I answered. I figured you'd want a knowledgable (read: gay) source, so I came forward.
Instead of getting pissy, do your own research.

while it's easy to speculate about the rest of the transition, one can learn a whole lot more when they assume their speculation may be incorrect.

why should i have to do my own research when you are so willing to do it for me? :) i am just messing with you. it's time to hug, we are now friends. I appreciate your efforts.

Response to Why do people call things "gay"? 2004-06-09 15:43:14

At 6/9/04 03:31 PM, AgeOfArmageddon wrote:
At 6/9/04 02:32 PM, DanPaladin wrote:
it's quite an interesting look into some sociology here. it first started meaning happy, then homosexual, and then a derogatory word. Three incarnations for the same word! Kind of interesting to think about how it started from something positive to its last form became pure slander.
Ya I know, I hate when its used as an insult though. I have a few gay friends, and when someone uses gay as an insult, it means that it would be bad to be gay. I don't see anything wrong with it.

Oh, and did you ever want a sig Synj? Because it would be an honor to hook you up with one :)

yes, it is interesting when people become conscious of those who are actually gay around them. i have one gay friend. she is pretty darn cool. i think if everyone had at least one gay friend they would not use the word gay in the derogatory fashion.

i'll pass on the sig, as i don't really enjoy having one but thank you!

Response to Why do people call things "gay"? 2004-06-09 15:49:09

At 6/9/04 03:43 PM, DanPaladin wrote:
yes, it is interesting when people become conscious of those who are actually gay around them. i have one gay friend. she is pretty darn cool. i think if everyone had at least one gay friend they would not use the word gay in the derogatory fashion.

Ya, it's just too bad there are so many homophobes out there. I don't understand what the big deal is about being gay. It's just a preference, and there not hurting or threatning anyone. But for some reason, people try to find reasons to hate them.

i'll pass on the sig, as i don't really enjoy having one but thank you!

That's cool, just drop me a line if you ever change your mind!

BBS Signature

Response to Why do people call things "gay"? 2004-06-09 18:44:24

I've heard and seen people say it in the place of the words "dumb" or "stupid" because they must feel that it is a more powerful way to express those meanings but I've said it before but I think that is different because my friends and were just shopping in Chicago and there is store that is literally called "Gaymart" and it just has all gay things in it like a lot rainbow stuff like that and I was just like wow this is so gay but I was using it correctly

Response to Why do people call things "gay"? 2004-06-09 18:53:13

Let me break it down for you:

Being gay is stupid. Therefore if you see something stupid or have to do something you dont like its "gay."

I use it sometimes just because I have heard it so much it kinda grew on me but I use dumb or stupid most the time.

Response to Why do people call things "gay"? 2004-06-09 18:59:53

At 6/9/04 02:31 PM, Earfetish wrote: It's just a word. Usually there is no homphobia behind it. If I said something was 'faggy' then no-one would get their knickers in a twist.

And anyway, surely the phrase, throwing a paddy is blantantly derogatory to Irish people, calling someone a 'woman' or a 'pussy' is horribly sexist, and half-cast had undertones of being half a person or half legitimate.

i agree with you. people should be a little more thick skinned about racial/sex issues. however, imagine if you started using the word "BLACK" or "AFRICAN" in the same capacity you were using gay? you'd get banned, harrassed, and then possibly even sued/arrested.

society is complicated.

Response to Why do people call things "gay"? 2004-06-09 19:54:32

At 6/9/04 03:19 PM, 6DisasterSk8er6 wrote: It means homosexual.

I KNOW WHAT GAY MEANS!!!

I'm Darwin7 you can keep the change

BBS Signature

Response to Why do people call things "gay"? 2004-06-09 19:57:25

At 6/9/04 03:13 PM, WifebeaterPeter wrote: Shutup, you big gay.

Takes one to know one you flaming, duchebag.

BBS Signature

Response to Why do people call things "gay"? 2004-06-09 20:01:28

At 6/9/04 07:57 PM, Darwin7 wrote:

Soooo....you're a gay, flaming douchebag? Interesting.

Response to Why do people call things "gay"? 2004-06-09 20:03:11

It's challenging someone's masculinity. Things were always called "woman"ish back in the day, and an even more severe insult is a man who "practices woman's magic". So, just as things are called stupid despite their lack of intellegence, they can be gay.

That, and my scientific definition, anything that hampers a member of a specie's ability to reproduce normally makes it genetically inferior. Inferior. That's never a compliment.

Response to Why do people call things "gay"? 2004-06-09 20:05:11

At 6/9/04 02:31 PM, Earfetish wrote:
i agree with you. people should be a little more thick skinned about racial/sex issues. however, imagine if you started using the word "BLACK" or "AFRICAN" in the same capacity you were using gay? you'd get banned, harrassed, and then possibly even sued/arrested.

society is complicated.

'This thread is African' it just dosnt sound as insulting does it?

derp

Response to Why do people call things "gay"? 2004-06-09 20:08:59

At 6/9/04 08:05 PM, xcloudx wrote:
At 6/9/04 02:31 PM, Earfetish wrote:

society is complicated.
'This thread is African' it just dosnt sound as insulting does it?

thats because theres nothing wrong w/ being African. Not to say being gay is a terrible thing that I hate, its just not my bag.

Response to Why do people call things "gay"? 2004-06-09 20:10:34

At 6/9/04 08:08 PM, Will-C-Wood-Football wrote: I think it's a word that we are like addicted to. Really I don't think anyone I know uses it in the homosexual way. I usually use it instead of I hate that or it sucks or something like that.

WOW! Congrats! You have just repeated what almost everyone in this thread said.

Response to Why do people call things "gay"? 2004-06-09 20:19:03

I don't know. I think being called gay is a compliment. I'm trying to make fag something good. You know... like how nigga is good for blacks, or Chicano for a American born Mexican.

Someday, the saying, "You're a fag!" is going to be something cool. Aright, see you later my fellow fags, peace out.

Response to Why do people call things "gay"? 2004-06-10 07:40:13

When its just wack its gay. Its no derogitorry offense to actual homosexuals, when its just wack as fuck, its gay. Simple.

Response to Why do people call things "gay"? 2004-06-19 08:55:29

At 6/9/04 08:01 PM, Maus wrote:
At 6/9/04 07:57 PM, Darwin7 wrote:
Soooo....you're a gay, flaming douchebag? Interesting.

I thought so.

BBS Signature

Response to Why do people call things "gay"? 2004-06-19 08:56:45

At 6/9/04 06:53 PM, -Krossroads- wrote: Let me break it down for you:

Being gay is stupid. Therefore if you see something stupid or have to do something you dont like its "gay."

I use it sometimes just because I have heard it so much it kinda grew on me but I use dumb or stupid most the time.

I know why people call things gay. But why is gay an insult?

BBS Signature

Response to Why do people call things "gay"? 2004-06-19 09:29:32

At 6/9/04 06:00 AM, Darwin7 wrote: What's the deal with that?

i call stuff gay if it doesnt work. Its mainly a habit as uts the only thing u cn say in frint of you parent U dont xactly go "OH THIS IS FUKIN STUPID!" do u? U say " oh this is gay"

Response to Why do people call things "gay"? 2004-06-19 09:34:25

thread = fag

Why do people call things

The worst member.

Response to Why do people call things "gay"? 2004-06-19 09:37:17

At 6/19/04 09:29 AM, RiftgardianLegendary wrote:
At 6/9/04 06:00 AM, Darwin7 wrote: What's the deal with that?
i call stuff gay if it doesnt work. Its mainly a habit as uts the only thing u cn say in frint of you parent U dont xactly go "OH THIS IS FUKIN STUPID!" do u? U say " oh this is gay"

erm..I do? lol, i tell my dad to fuck his wife properly very day almost, I call my mum a slag when i am annoyed with her, they cant do shit since im bigger and stronger than both of them. lol

Response to Why do people call things "gay"? 2004-06-19 09:38:17

oh..and people use the word gay cos they cant think of any other better word under four letters.. :P

Response to Why do people call things "gay"? 2004-06-19 09:41:50

I admit to callin stuff gay a lot. Like someone said it's a habit. I don't do it on the internet but in normall conversation I say it sometimes. Not cos Im a homophobe or anything but cos its a habit and I kinda like the way it sounds. I would use it as much and probably more if it meant something else. It's a bad habit though.

Response to Why do people call things "gay"? 2004-06-19 09:42:51

i know eh, whats the deal with hospital food now a day, its just so, GAY

Response to Why do people call things "gay"? 2004-06-19 09:45:56

I got banned for calling someone a faggot.

HAHAHAHA sorry about that.

Response to Why do people call things "gay"? 2004-06-19 09:54:52

At 6/19/04 09:42 AM, SenorFrog wrote: i know eh, whats the deal with hospital food now a day, its just so, GAY

Kinda like your face.

BBS Signature