00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

cupf1sh just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Is there any hope for Detroit?

2,833 Views | 30 Replies

Is there any hope for Detroit? 2014-04-20 17:45:09

Detroit is one of the most run down, crime ridden cities in America. There are tens of thousands of abandoned homes and even more vacant lots where homes or businesses have been torn down.

I've looked to see what property values are for such a blight place, and they are rock bottom. Properties can be bought for $100 because the banks don't want a burnt out shell of a hous trying to renovate most of the houses wouldn't be feasible.

I was actually looking into the possibility of buying vacant retail or residential lot as investment. The taxes are the only thing slowing me down though. If Detroit cleans up in the future this land would be a huge profit maker. Not that I would actually want to stay there.

This post made possible by Plymouth58.

It's muh birthday. Where is my caik? 5/8/1994 - 5/8/2014

Beer next year!

BBS Signature

Response to Is there any hope for Detroit? 2014-04-20 17:50:44

nope

"Did I ever tell you what the definition of insanity is?

was her name tenneassi

omtish

BBS Signature

Response to Is there any hope for Detroit? 2014-04-20 17:52:54

Detroit needs to be erased.

Response to Is there any hope for Detroit? 2014-04-20 18:01:57

At 4/20/14 05:57 PM, Elitistinen wrote: Carpet bombs the whole city. Then build another new city on it. This time do not allow black people live there.

I hate to say it, I mean I REALLY hate to say it, but that might actually work.

welcum 2 da teem shieky

BBS Signature

Response to Is there any hope for Detroit? 2014-04-20 18:03:41

inb4 Robocop

Sig by @Brokendeck

BBS Signature

Response to Is there any hope for Detroit? 2014-04-20 18:16:27

At 4/20/14 06:03 PM, Wegra wrote: inb4 Robocop

inb4 Eminem

Bitte meine beliebte Nazi mods, keine bannerino, weil ich auch ein Nazi Scwein bin! Danke schön

BBS Signature

Response to Is there any hope for Detroit? 2014-04-20 18:23:43

Hoping to be a slumdog millionaire?

Find my hoard of old NG stickers and you might win some.

Remaining stickers: 417

Response to Is there any hope for Detroit? 2014-04-20 18:25:23

Leave Detroit alone, especially if you're an outsider. Do it for moral reasons, and if you have any compassion for the poor. I hope you do.

Seriously. Don't buy investment property seeing nothing but big dollar signs in your eyes. Just don't be one of those people. Let it stay the way it is. Trying to "clean up" a run-down city like Detroit will eventually lead to what NYC is right now: more or less, a playground for the wealthy. There is a very real affordable housing crisis here and I'm not sure when, if ever, it'll be solved. De-gentrifying the whole city is going to take some time for sure. I would much rather have us looking like Detroit for eternity over what we have right now.

Former iron fist mod of the NG Featureless Chat from May 23, 2012 to May 4, 2014.

NYC Meet 2010 | NYC Meet 2011 | NYC Meet 2013

BBS Signature

Response to Is there any hope for Detroit? 2014-04-20 18:26:08

Well if Eminem couldn't save them, I'm afraid nobody can

BBS Signature

Response to Is there any hope for Detroit? 2014-04-20 18:34:19

At 4/20/14 06:32 PM, SithCorduroy wrote: How do you feel about the hipsters coming to Detroit to live because it's "hip" and "ironic" to live in a city with such a bad rep?

They should be brutally killed. Many probably already have been by now because they stuck out like sore thumbs.

Former iron fist mod of the NG Featureless Chat from May 23, 2012 to May 4, 2014.

BBS Signature

Response to Is there any hope for Detroit? 2014-04-20 20:06:46

At 4/20/14 06:34 PM, GoryBlizzard wrote:
At 4/20/14 06:32 PM, SithCorduroy wrote: How do you feel about the hipsters coming to Detroit to live because it's "hip" and "ironic" to live in a city with such a bad rep?
They should be brutally killed. Many probably already have been by now because they stuck out like sore thumbs.

You genuinely wish some people to be dead just for trying to be ironic?

That's not psychotic at all.

Response to Is there any hope for Detroit? 2014-04-21 00:59:12

Sounds like a good idea. Just by vacant lots and whole neighborhoods for twelve hundred and just tear it all down and hold onto it till development starts. If a group of investors did that just tlre everything down they would get rid of the fucking homeless and gangs and then the property might actually be worth something.

Response to Is there any hope for Detroit? 2014-04-21 01:49:13

At 4/21/14 01:42 AM, Wriggle wrote: Detroit has a lot of black people.

Not saying that is bad or anything. . .

What a contribution.

Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster.

BBS Signature

Response to Is there any hope for Detroit? 2014-04-21 12:21:52

At 4/21/14 02:58 AM, Xenomit wrote: I think he meant he just wants a place where all the poor black people can amass so he doesn't have to look at them in NYC anymore

Wrong. Why else would I have said that I wanted NYC to look more like Detroit? I'm one of the most anti-gentrification people you'll ever come across. We should all be poor and struggling right now. High property values and unaffordable housing as we see here is what all the bigwig elitist politicians and businesspeople want in Detroit too, and modern day NYC is exactly what a "cleaned up" Detroit would look like. Hipsters and rich people and transplants that don't belong here in ever increasing numbers. I find that a fuck ton worse and so do many other lifelong NYers who have been here for generations. Big cities ane other places that appear to be in major disarray are actually better left alone, because the cleanup process usually goes way too far and the end result is an unaffordable playground for the wealthy.

BBS Signature

Response to Is there any hope for Detroit? 2014-04-21 12:26:45

At 4/21/14 03:05 AM, SithCorduroy wrote:
At 4/21/14 01:42 AM, Wriggle wrote: Detroit has a lot of black people.

Not saying that is bad or anything. . .
"Black people" is not the preferred nomenclature. African Americans, please.

Fuck political correctness.

Response to Is there any hope for Detroit? 2014-04-21 12:31:05

I can't say I've ever actually watched anything about Detroit, so I don't know much about it other than that people like to say it's terrible. The one city I remember watching a documentary was Chicago, which didn't sound to pleasant from what the video was saying. For example, some of the residents have taken to calling the city Chiraq, due to the massive amount of gun violence.

BBS Signature

Response to Is there any hope for Detroit? 2014-04-21 12:40:03

At 4/20/14 06:16 PM, SubparTony wrote:
At 4/20/14 06:03 PM, Wegra wrote: inb4 Robocop
inb4 Eminem

inb4 Adam Jensen.

This is where I wrote something funny

BBS Signature

Response to Is there any hope for Detroit? 2014-04-21 14:51:45

@goryblizzard

I still don't see why you would get so upset about someone sitting on a vacant lot to ride out the blight and make some money while the city cleans up. I have been doing research on Detroit and it is the most dangerous city with the lowest property values in the country. A lot of people think Detroit is dead and will never recover.

Urban blight, unemployment, and low land value all lead to exponential crime rates. To the police, parts of the city have little or no police coverage at all. Schools rank lowest in the nation. How can you expect your children to succeed if there is no schools for them to go to? The city needs MONEY and people to come in and fix the city up. Remove the worst damaged structures, set up shops and people will want to move back in with new jobs being created left and right. Taxes would help improve the municipalities, and quality of life would get better for a change.

Can you honestly say you enjoy being poor? I certainly don't. I came from a country where REAL poverty is daily life for most of its residents. Do you really know how it feels to be so poor you eat only 3 times a week, have no electricity, and are considered lucky if you had a 2 room house?
I know poverty. My own parents could not afford to raise me or my older sister. I am adopted by an Italian Alert family and finally experienced what quality of life was for the first time as a 8 year old. I know this American economy is not as good as it was back 10 years ago, but compare your living situation to people living in the slums that cannot always afford to eat.

This is why I actually want to see Detroit, or any other ailing city see benefit from an influx of investing. Yes, property values will go up, but so will an average salary. There are always going to be low income groups and its a shame. It s

Beer next year!

BBS Signature

Response to Is there any hope for Detroit? 2014-04-21 15:06:49

At 4/21/14 12:26 PM, Cordyceps wrote:
At 4/21/14 12:21 PM, GoryBlizzard wrote: Big cities ane other places that appear to be in major disarray are actually better left alone, because the cleanup process usually goes way too far and the end result is an unaffordable playground for the wealthy.
This would be a good thing if you had the brains to do anything other than labour work for a living.

Sure but for a lot of people there it's too late for that so their wages won't be able to keep up with the increase in property values then they'll be homeless. which will suck if they have children because even though they'd be able to get into a better environment in the future the fact that they're in a homeless family will completely negate that fact.

Response to Is there any hope for Detroit? 2014-04-21 15:09:23

No, there is absolutely no hope for Detroit; we must destroy it with napalm and nukes.

5:24 PM - Hat-Fondler: adverb

5:24 PM - 平沢唯: jewishly

5:25 PM - Kupo: frothingly

BBS Signature

Response to Is there any hope for Detroit? 2014-04-21 15:12:11

Well i think there is hope, if crime rate gets lower the properties will be bought and will rebuilded but it's hard to lower crime rate especially for Detroit so i don't know how they will do it but if they succeed in it they it will.

BBS Signature

Response to Is there any hope for Detroit? 2014-04-21 15:27:46

So how did all the crime and shit come to be? Did nobody bother to bring law to this part of the plains back in the 1800's, but go to all the other states?

I got Tom to make a sig, bow down to me.

BBS Signature

Response to Is there any hope for Detroit? 2014-04-21 16:54:33

At 4/21/14 02:51 PM, Plymouth58 wrote: @goryblizzard

I still don't see why you would get so upset about someone sitting on a vacant lot to ride out the blight and make some money while the city cleans up. I have been doing research on Detroit and it is the most dangerous city with the lowest property values in the country. A lot of people think Detroit is dead and will never recover.

Because you only care about your own financial gain and not the actual good of native Detroiters. Your idea is nothing new. Already, there are outside investors trying to ride out the current crisis, hoping to reap tons of profits years or decades from now. I find that stupid and immoral on a number of levels. Also, just for the record, in case NYC once again becomes nationally known as the most dangerous city to live in, leave us alone. We don’t like it when people from outside god knows where stick their noses where they don’t belong. I’m sure people from similarly big cities are like-minded.

Also, unlike you, and unlike many wealthy people, I see low property values as a good thing and not a bad thing. Why? Because then I could afford to buy my own fucking house for a change. Whatever it takes to bring down our current excessively high property values, good. Let shootings go up, let cops sleep on the job more, bring back more squeegee men. It’s all good, just as long as the hipsters leave, the natives stay and the property values plummet.

Urban blight, unemployment, and low land value all lead to exponential crime rates. To the police, parts of the city have little or no police coverage at all. Schools rank lowest in the nation. How can you expect your children to succeed if there is no schools for them to go to?

Let them navigate the world on their own, or, you know, just don’t have kids.

The city needs MONEY and people to come in and fix the city up. Remove the worst damaged structures, set up shops and people will want to move back in with new jobs being created left and right. Taxes would help improve the municipalities, and quality of life would get better for a change.

That’s what the media is telling you, but clearly you’ve never lived there, nor is it apparent that you have any close connections with anyone that lives there. Don’t judge Detroit’s needs based on images you’ve seen online of vacant lots, dilapidated houses, graffiti and so on.

Also, the media only tends to highlight the “worst” parts of Detroit, because most of the city, perhaps to your surprise, doesn’t show much worth reporting on…just normal residential properties, buildings and people doing mundane things such as living life. Really. It’s not nearly as big a deal as you’re making out of it.

I don’t want any serious cleanup effort to get underway because like I said, it will only lead to what we see now in my own city. When you seek out low crime, improved quality of life, high property values, and high taxes, you attract many people with deep pockets that don’t belong here. As a consequence, they start taking over, pricing out people who’ve lived here their entire lives, changing the entire character of countless neighborhoods, flooding us and making access to affordable housing much more difficult. A deserted urban wasteland should be far preferable over that.

Can you honestly say you enjoy being poor? I certainly don't. I came from a country where REAL poverty is daily life for most of its residents. Do you really know how it feels to be so poor you eat only 3 times a week, have no electricity, and are considered lucky if you had a 2 room house?

#1) Being poor ain’t bad. Quit your bitching.
#2) Yes, and I’ve never lived in a house. I don’t even have my own room now.

I know poverty. My own parents could not afford to raise me or my older sister. I am adopted by an Italian Alert family and finally experienced what quality of life was for the first time as a 8 year old. I know this American economy is not as good as it was back 10 years ago, but compare your living situation to people living in the slums that cannot always afford to eat.

This is why I actually want to see Detroit, or any other ailing city see benefit from an influx of investing. Yes, property values will go up, but so will an average salary. There are always going to be low income groups and its a shame. It s

My suggestion to you is that you give away all the money you have to a homeless charity until you can effectively be considered low income yourself. You really need to go back to being poor again because I'm getting the impression that you have lived in comfort for too many years and in your OP, you seem a little too eager to buy property with the taxes being the only thing stopping you.

BBS Signature

Response to Is there any hope for Detroit? 2014-04-23 06:48:26

At 4/23/14 12:06 AM, Cordyceps wrote:
At 4/21/14 04:54 PM, GoryBlizzard wrote: My suggestion to you is that you give away all the money you have to a homeless charity until you can effectively be considered low income yourself. You really need to go back to being poor again because I'm getting the impression that you have lived in comfort for too many years and in your OP, you seem a little too eager to buy property with the taxes being the only thing stopping you.
How is it that you feel this entitled by being poor?

If you're not in a financial position to speculate on properties, then your opinion is of no consequence anyway because it doesn't change who buys property where.

It's absolutely incredible that you would prefer an "urban wasteland" to a developed metropolis. If you're that much of a prude then move into the sticks.

Very well said. If I'm not the one that ends up buying ONE OR EVEN TWO vacant parcels of land, some one else who has enough money where taxes are the least of their concern will.

Unlike you, gory, I actually want to enjoy life. I hate living poor and run down. How about if all the rich people left new york? You would be pretty much 'fucked' if they did. Crime would go up exponentially. There would be no jobs, so even getting a chance to eat would be a luxury.

If you really want to experience true poverty, how about living in one of indias slums for a few years. Then you'll be glad to go back to your upscale in comparison lifestyle you're living in now.
So am I being a fool for wanting to be successful and financially stable in life? Am I a bigot for wanting to start a family someday and have money so my family and kids can have a better and more enjoyable life than I did?
I respect the fact that everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but honestly you are the first and only person i know of who doesn't seem to want a more comfortable and enjoyable lifestyle.

Beer next year!

BBS Signature

Response to Is there any hope for Detroit? 2014-04-23 07:27:16

there's no logic in gory's rhetoric. its better to have that place bought up tore down and rebuilt and make it affordable housing and have some asshole reap rewards than leaving it as is.

right now I am looking at Detroit and New Orleans real estate, and I've been reading if you clean up lots of property and fix them up and file the proper paperwork you can buy the property lots at subsidized prices.

Response to Is there any hope for Detroit? 2014-04-23 10:25:58

I see that there's little to no debate about the actual results of investing into Detroit--just whether whether or not those results would be bad or good in the long run. For me, based on a lifetime of big city living, largely bad.

At 4/23/14 06:48 AM, Plymouth58 wrote: How about if all the rich people left new york? You would be pretty much 'fucked' if they did. Crime would go up exponentially. There would be no jobs, so even getting a chance to eat would be a luxury.

I'm glad you brought that up. I want all the rich people to leave NYC except for the truly devoted, non-stingy ones that are born and raised natives and willing to spread the wealth to the point where their income is about the same as the average citizen. You seem to bring up crime rates a lot like it's a bad thing for me and that I should give a fuck. I don't. I really don't. I want crime rates to go up and property values to go down. It's one of the few ways to solve our current crisis, as low crime largely attributable to the past 2 City Hall administrations is the real underpinning of high property values, too many tourists coming in and getting in my fucking way and so on.

If you really want to experience true poverty, how about living in one of indias slums for a few years. Then you'll be glad to go back to your upscale in comparison lifestyle you're living in now.

I'm not from India--I have no business being there. People need to stay where they're from. I've experienced NYC-style poverty. It's actually not very far off.

So am I being a fool for wanting to be successful and financially stable in life?

Yes. At most, people should only be allowed to JUST get by financially and have NO kids. You seem to be after success--a bit too much success, so you're sticking your nose in a city you have no connections to just because you see a big financial opportunity where even though any potential gains won't be seen for years, it's still dickish. This is one of the things I hate the most about real estate in general: all of the richest people on this planet have achieved their success through it, and we need to start closing a lot of loopholes, including taxing the hell out of capital gains.

Am I a bigot for wanting to start a family someday and have money so my family and kids can have a better and more enjoyable life than I did?

Yes, again. Just have enough money for yourself and your wife or girlfriend, and only for getting by. Don't ever drop the word "success."

I respect the fact that everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but honestly you are the first and only person i know of who doesn't seem to want a more comfortable and enjoyable lifestyle.

Cool.

BBS Signature

Response to Is there any hope for Detroit? 2014-04-23 11:51:30

At 4/20/14 08:06 PM, Xgsniper wrote:

You genuinely wish some people to be dead just for trying to be ironic?

That's not psychotic at all.

Nope. It's ironic. ;)

Response to Is there any hope for Detroit? 2014-04-23 11:58:33

Uhh.. If most of the rich investors left NY, it would turn into a major shit hole. The rest of the legit rich diehards would have little incentive to stay. Only the rich thugs would stay and they would control the city.
Seriously, you have the most fucked up logic I've ever seen.

I should spend $1 on a Detroit burnout in your honor.

Plymouth is being a little over emotional about this whole ordeal, but at least I can see where he's coming from.

Response to Is there any hope for Detroit? 2014-04-23 12:11:20

I find it difficult to take anyone serious that has been known to shit in cardboard boxes either for the lulz or are too lazy to walk to the fucking toilet.

Find my hoard of old NG stickers and you might win some.

Remaining stickers: 417

Response to Is there any hope for Detroit? 2014-04-23 12:13:40

At 4/23/14 10:25 AM, GoryBlizzard wrote: I see that there's little to no debate about the actual results of investing into Detroit--just whether whether or not those results would be bad or good in the long run. For me, based on a lifetime of big city living, largely bad.

Really? increased living standards, better schools, more jobs increased social services and infrastructure , outreach programs. yeah thats totally wrong.

I'm glad you brought that up. I want all the rich people to leave NYC except for the truly devoted, non-stingy ones that are born and raised natives and willing to spread the wealth to the point where their income is about the same as the average citizen. You seem to bring up crime rates a lot like it's a bad thing for me and that I should give a fuck. I don't. I really don't. I want crime rates to go up and property values to go down. It's one of the few ways to solve our current crisis, as low crime largely attributable to the past 2 City Hall administrations is the real underpinning of high property values, too many tourists coming in and getting in my fucking way and so on.

how idealistically naive of you. those rich people do pay taxes, give to charities and economic opportunities. the real problem with property values and housing problem is the demand is higher than the supply and the areas that are lower are so ran down that it would cost more to fix than what its worth to sell.

Yes. At most, people should only be allowed to JUST get by financially and have NO kids. You seem to be after success--a bit too much success, so you're sticking your nose in a city you have no connections to just because you see a big financial opportunity where even though any potential gains won't be seen for years, it's still dickish. This is one of the things I hate the most about real estate in general: all of the richest people on this planet have achieved their success through it, and we need to start closing a lot of loopholes, including taxing the hell out of capital gains.

you can easily get by with at least one kid if you and your spouse/girlfriend/fiance/whatever have a actual job. and just because you are taking advantage of a real estate opportunity in another city is not dickish its smart just because you don't have the money for such a investment. U just jelly bro.