00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

GMan2006i just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

New to NewGrounds

12,717 Views | 111 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to New to NewGrounds 2015-10-25 22:26:36

At 8/20/15 12:01 AM, xcolours wrote: This is just the head, I plan on modeling the rest creature, texture it, rig it, and then, hopefully if all goes well, put it in a final animation later. Anyways tell me what you think. I'm always looking for constructive criticism to help me improve. Oh and Its done 100% in zbrush so far, But I plan on doing the texturing, rigging and such in Maya.

I'm curious if you ever ended up rigging and animating this head model.

I'm also curious why you would choose to texture it in Maya over Zbrush, unless Maya is completely different than 3DS MAX and comes with a really awesome texturing tool.

Response to New to NewGrounds 2015-10-25 22:52:12

At 10/25/15 10:26 PM, PatBest22 wrote:
At 8/20/15 12:01 AM, xcolours wrote: This is just the head, I plan on modeling the rest creature, texture it, rig it, and then, hopefully if all goes well, put it in a final animation later. Anyways tell me what you think. I'm always looking for constructive criticism to help me improve. Oh and Its done 100% in zbrush so far, But I plan on doing the texturing, rigging and such in Maya.
I'm curious if you ever ended up rigging and animating this head model.

I'm also curious why you would choose to texture it in Maya over Zbrush, unless Maya is completely different than 3DS MAX and comes with a really awesome texturing tool.

Not yet unfortunately, I haven't had the time to spend on that model that I wanted because of the amount of time I put in for school. I actually haven't finished modeling him either...My spare time is at an all time low lol. I still plan on rigging him but itll probably be later since I have a few rigging and animation classes coming up and I'd like to have a better understanding before I attempt it. As for texturing in Maya over zbrush, I actually bounce back and forth. I do prefer Maya texturing at the moment though because I have a better understanding on how it works. But I do love the options in zbrush and want to explore them more when I have the chance. The last model I did was textured in Maya only because it was part of the requirements for my project. As for being different from 3DS Max, I wouldn't know since I've never used it.

Response to New to NewGrounds 2015-10-25 22:54:49

Have you done any rigging at all yet?

Response to New to NewGrounds 2015-10-25 22:56:09

At 10/25/15 10:54 PM, PatBest22 wrote: Have you done any rigging at all yet?

A little bit in a previous class. It was just enough to get the jist of how it works. I havnt actually had any courses that explains the ins and outs of it yet

Response to New to NewGrounds 2015-10-25 23:03:19

At 10/25/15 10:56 PM, xcolours wrote:
A little bit in a previous class. It was just enough to get the jist of how it works. I havnt actually had any courses that explains the ins and outs of it yet

I'm just bringing it up because, assuming Maya uses the same rigging modifiers as 3DS Max, properly rigging a highly detailed model done entirely in Zbrush is probably going to be a massive, maaaaaassive pain in the rear.

I'm also taking 3D animation classes. Unfortunately, my course only covered Zbrush in a week to get the basics, though that week was sufficient to realize how amazing a program it was. Even though you're using Maya and I'm using 3DS Max, I'm sure we could help each other out.

Response to New to NewGrounds 2015-10-25 23:19:31

At 10/25/15 11:03 PM, PatBest22 wrote:
At 10/25/15 10:56 PM, xcolours wrote:
I'm just bringing it up because, assuming Maya uses the same rigging modifiers as 3DS Max, properly rigging a highly detailed model done entirely in Zbrush is probably going to be a massive, maaaaaassive pain in the rear.

I'm also taking 3D animation classes. Unfortunately, my course only covered Zbrush in a week to get the basics, though that week was sufficient to realize how amazing a program it was. Even though you're using Maya and I'm using 3DS Max, I'm sure we could help each other out.

Oh most definitely lol. But the thing about fully detailed models from zbrush is that you cant use them in Maya at all...Im sure its the same way with Max. It cant handle the millions and millions of polies like zbrush can. Thats why you have to retopo them down to a manageable polycount and then use maps to get back your detail from the sculpt. So your more or less rigging and animating a really low poly version rather than the real thing. Which makes it alot easier. For example my character I just posted is 75 million polies....Maya would shut down completely trying to even think about importing it into a scene. But the low poly (which is actually where the render come from) is only about 95K polies. Way more manageable. Anyways this is actually my 1st full course on zbrush, I had a week or so here or there in previous classes that used it but nothing major, we've mostly learned maya. But yea, I'm sure we could definitely help each other out. I'm pretty sure maya and max aren't to far apart lol. Pretty cool to find someone else going for the same degree on here....didn't expect that lol

Response to New to NewGrounds 2015-10-25 23:32:42

At 10/25/15 11:19 PM, xcolours wrote:

Oh most definitely lol. But the thing about fully detailed models from zbrush is that you cant use them in Maya at all...Im sure its the same way with Max. It cant handle the millions and millions of polies like zbrush can. Thats why you have to retopo them down to a manageable polycount and then use maps to get back your detail from the sculpt. So your more or less rigging and animating a really low poly version rather than the real thing. Which makes it alot easier. For example my character I just posted is 75 million polies....Maya would shut down completely trying to even think about importing it into a scene. But the low poly (which is actually where the render come from) is only about 95K polies. Way more manageable. Anyways this is actually my 1st full course on zbrush, I had a week or so here or there in previous classes that used it but nothing major, we've mostly learned maya. But yea, I'm sure we could definitely help each other out. I'm pretty sure maya and max aren't to far apart lol. Pretty cool to find someone else going for the same degree on here....didn't expect that lol

Oh, I see, you're doing the opposite of what I do. I start out by building the basic, low-poly mesh and then import it to Zbrush to create the high-poly maps to put on top afterwards.
The model I'm working on right now has just under 24k poligons in the low-poly form, and just under 25 million in Zbrush.

Response to New to NewGrounds 2015-10-25 23:38:02

At 10/25/15 11:32 PM, PatBest22 wrote:
Oh, I see, you're doing the opposite of what I do. I start out by building the basic, low-poly mesh and then import it to Zbrush to create the high-poly maps to put on top afterwards.
The model I'm working on right now has just under 24k poligons in the low-poly form, and just under 25 million in Zbrush.

Well not exactly, I've done it that way b4. But usually I create a High-res model from scratch, usually starting with a sphere or zsheres in zbrush and then either decimate it to go into maya for retopoing and mapping or retopo and map it in zbrush and import the low-res model into maya

Response to New to NewGrounds 2015-10-26 00:15:05

At 10/25/15 11:32 PM, PatBest22 wrote:

Ok disregard that last post, I totally misread that lol. Lack of sleep from working on my final is catching up to me. But when I 1st was learning zbrush we started with models made in maya and imported them into zbrush for detailing...I think the 1st thing they made us do was a pillow.

Response to New to NewGrounds 2015-11-06 06:28:24

Here's something I've been working on since I passed my PRM Class. Havn't had any motivation to do the monster model I was working on b4 I started PRM so I did something else. Its not 100% done yet, gonna do some alpha work to it and then get a proper render of it. Its based of some concept art by y Nixell on ArtStation. Check him out when you get the chance.

New to NewGrounds

Response to New to NewGrounds 2015-11-12 14:20:12

3D model I created based on some concept art I saw from Nixell on ArtStation titled Chimera. It was sculpted 100% in zbrush. The render was done using the BPR render inside zbrush and compiled in Photoshop. I had a lot of fun....and frustration....doing this model and I'm pretty happy how it turned out.

New to NewGrounds

Response to New to NewGrounds 2015-11-13 01:30:47

Speed Sculpt to get faster at modeling. I set the timer to 1 hr 30min and this is where I was at when the timer went off, give or take a few minutes to finish up what I was doing lol. The bust is a character I designed during my Methods of Designs class months ago.

New to NewGrounds

Response to New to NewGrounds 2015-11-13 18:44:31

At 3/30/14 11:52 AM, USBclip wrote: Hey I think it's really good keep up the good work

hey thats really cool

Response to New to NewGrounds 2015-11-19 12:07:33

At 11/13/15 06:44 PM, Redmars101 wrote:
At 3/30/14 11:52 AM, USBclip wrote: Hey I think it's really good keep up the good work
hey thats really cool

Thank you, sorry for the late reply, somehow musta missed the notification.

Response to New to NewGrounds 2015-11-19 12:10:39

A WIP of my latest project, some Monster Hunter fanart

New to NewGrounds

Response to New to NewGrounds 2015-11-21 19:09:30

SOOO FUCKING AMAZING WOW KEEP WITH THIS MAN

Response to New to NewGrounds 2015-11-22 06:53:04

At 11/21/15 07:09 PM, LowDeath wrote: SOOO FUCKING AMAZING WOW KEEP WITH THIS MAN

Lol Thank you :D

Response to New to NewGrounds 2015-11-22 06:55:32

This is what I have of my model so far. I went through and deleted most of the clothing, I didnt like how it they were looking after I found better reference. Gonna have to redo the pieces I deleted. I redid the goggles and finished the hat for the most part, still a few clipping issues I need to take care of and I need to alpha and add fibermesh in places. I worked on the hands and feet a bit more too, I think they still need work though.

New to NewGrounds

Response to New to NewGrounds 2015-11-29 17:13:13

I hope that everyone had a great Thanksgiving holiday, or just Thursday if you dont celebrate Thanksgiving lol. Anyways I had a little time to work on my model again so here's an update on where I am. I'm planning on making the barrel-bomb smaller.

New to NewGrounds

Response to New to NewGrounds 2016-01-09 20:29:09

3D model of a Felyne companion from the monster hunter series I made in zbrush. Theres a few issues here and there I still need to work out (mostly using Fibermesh for the fur) but its more or less finished. I plan on revisiting this model when I get more experience with using fibermesh. This was definitely a learning experience though and I had a lot of fun doing this model.

New to NewGrounds

Response to New to NewGrounds 2016-03-13 15:36:47

Entry for the Pokemon Challenge that my school is hosting

New to NewGrounds

Response to New to NewGrounds 2016-03-13 20:12:05

If you want to see the model in full 3D you can follow the link below to Sketchfab

https://skfb.ly/LTBz