00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

sevnox just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Drawing without lineart

4,769 Views | 17 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Drawing without lineart 2013-08-22 17:35:27

I'm not sure I know how to word this very well, so I'm just going to try and hope you guys understand.

All of my pictures I do digitally, I do the linework, then I color. But pictures like these:

http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2012/251/e/1/pool_party_ziggs_splash_background_by_cheatch-d5dzim3.jpg

http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/113/9/5/caitlyn___wallpaper_by_tsuaii-d4xb86a.jpg

These don't have lines, but they look amazing. How do people do this kind of stuff? Does anyone have any advice of their own, or links to tutorials for this? I'd really appreciate it.

I use Paint Tool Sai and Photoshop if it helps.

Thanks in advance.

Response to Drawing without lineart 2013-08-22 18:42:59

Since I noticed you like league a lot, why not check out their art spotlights?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMwqUXs5UlM
There's one.

Just google League Art spotlights

They start off with a doodle or a rough sketch and it goes all the way to finalized splash.

Does this help?

BBS Signature

Response to Drawing without lineart 2013-08-22 20:03:04

If that does not answer your question, the link he gave, the quick and simple is they don't there is line art, its just rather then color it in, they color over. Its perfectly fine to work within line art, how they do it in those splashes requires lots of experince in color theory.

Response to Drawing without lineart 2013-08-22 20:51:21

Digital painting. Form and value are king.

It'd be a waste of time to try and explain the intricacies of the art to you, so just peruse these channels until blunt exposure does what careful reason cannot.

Feng Zhu Design
Sinix Design
Peter somethingsomething
Sycra. Just Sycra.
Bobby Chiu
Daarken

Oh, and Matt Kohr's site, and that should be enough to answer any dumb questions you have.

Just a small aside - if you ever start thinking that there's a "correct" way to paint, and not just a comfortable way, tell me so I can go and stab you in your stupid dick. Right, get watching.

Response to Drawing without lineart 2013-08-22 21:42:14

Thanks so much, guys! These links are very helpful.

With that Leona Art Spotlight, at the beginning where he's filling in solid color his his sketch, do you know how he's doing that? It's selecting the lines perfectly, even though the sketch is rough. Seems too good for the magic wand tool.

Response to Drawing without lineart 2013-08-22 23:54:43

At 8/22/13 09:42 PM, LeeIsMyName wrote: Thanks so much, guys! These links are very helpful.

With that Leona Art Spotlight, at the beginning where he's filling in solid color his his sketch, do you know how he's doing that? It's selecting the lines perfectly, even though the sketch is rough. Seems too good for the magic wand tool.

You can adjest that, its just going to fast for you to see. Also based on the brushes I see and how they used some of the tools, I am guessing their photoshop is moded.

Response to Drawing without lineart 2013-08-23 00:00:33

At 8/22/13 11:54 PM, Zolen wrote:

I am guessing their photoshop is moded.

Modded? How do you mean?

Response to Drawing without lineart 2013-08-23 00:14:20

its the lasso tool and then filling it on the layer above it.

Response to Drawing without lineart 2013-08-23 15:09:12

At 8/22/13 09:42 PM, LeeIsMyName wrote: Thanks so much, guys! These links are very helpful.

Lots of artist have addons to their photoshop and stuff. They also create brushes or download some that can be of use.

A lot of League concept splash artists use this Triangle pallete on the top left, I hunted around for something similar and found one called PaintersWheel. BOOP

BBS Signature

Response to Drawing without lineart 2013-08-23 21:01:48

At 8/23/13 12:14 AM, M-Vero wrote: its the lasso tool and then filling it on the layer above it.

Are you sure about that? How can you get lines that long and THAT straight with the freehand of a lasso tool? I know people are good, but still.

Response to Drawing without lineart 2013-08-23 21:41:00

At 8/23/13 09:01 PM, LeeIsMyName wrote:
At 8/23/13 12:14 AM, M-Vero wrote: its the lasso tool and then filling it on the layer above it.
Are you sure about that? How can you get lines that long and THAT straight with the freehand of a lasso tool? I know people are good, but still.

I took a look at the video, and the artist is using the polygonal lasso tool. You create your selection with a series of lines. You can make the line segments shorter or longer depending on how curved or straight you want your selection. I don't remember the shortcut for it, but if you click and hold the normal lasso tool, it'll be in the drop-down menu.

BBS Signature

Response to Drawing without lineart 2013-08-23 22:16:46

Okay, so I tried to do this kind of stuff myself. And it's clearly gone wrong. I almost can't bring myself to show this, but I need help. I got lost and kind of overwhelmed in how new this kind of thing was to me. I misjudged it. If you can, try to help me out :/ I'll be most appreciative.

(Also, this is going to eventually be something that's been in my head for years. It's my alternative TDK Harley Quinn)

Drawing without lineart

Response to Drawing without lineart 2013-08-24 05:04:49

you cant jump into painting human figures without first knowing how to draw, its really that simple.

painting is more complex than drawing line art for stuff, you can certainly forgo the learning to use line art phase but you cant forgo the learning to draw phase and still be successful.

get your medium of choice out and start drawing some human figures to figure out how they work. After you get good at doing that you can try something this complex....

A distant engine of hate is stirring....

Illustration | Animation

BBS Signature

Response to Drawing without lineart 2013-08-24 11:41:24

At 8/24/13 05:04 AM, Template88 wrote: you cant jump into painting human figures without first knowing how to draw, its really that simple.

painting is more complex than drawing line art for stuff, you can certainly forgo the learning to use line art phase but you cant forgo the learning to draw phase and still be successful.

get your medium of choice out and start drawing some human figures to figure out how they work. After you get good at doing that you can try something this complex....

I draw people, like a lot. That's all I draw pretty much lol. When I'm doing linework for people I can do it no problem, it's this kind of thing that I can't grasp the concept of.

Response to Drawing without lineart 2013-08-24 12:00:21

I mean really drawing people, understanding anatomy, learning value, and making your figures have depth and convincingness to them that you cant get until you are very familiar and experienced with them. Theres alot more information than there might seem when you try recreate a drawing of a person. You are just scratching the surface, dig deeper, understand the planes that make up the human body, the inner workings of muscles and bones, and the gestures people make to convey things without speaking.

I like your dedication to making neat, high quality lines though. You'll go far with that kind of patience.

A distant engine of hate is stirring....

Illustration | Animation

BBS Signature

Response to Drawing without lineart 2013-08-24 12:01:34

At 8/24/13 11:41 AM, LeeIsMyName wrote:
At 8/24/13 05:04 AM, Template88 wrote: you cant jump into painting human figures without first knowing how to draw, its really that simple.

I draw people, like a lot. That's all I draw pretty much lol. When I'm doing linework for people I can do it no problem, it's this kind of thing that I can't grasp the concept of.

Draw the line art, make the colors first as a underlayer, then take sections and put them above the line layer and try to figure out a way with that block of color that you can make it distinguished from everything else without its lines. Simplist way to do if when your not used to coloring without line art. Most have a sketch before hand anyway.

Response to Drawing without lineart 2013-08-24 14:52:26

I've seen your gallery before on DA very nice stuff

BBS Signature

Response to Drawing without lineart 2013-08-24 15:54:35

At 8/24/13 12:01 PM, Zolen wrote: Draw the line art, make the colors first as a underlayer, then take sections and put them above the line layer and try to figure out a way with that block of color that you can make it distinguished from everything else without its lines. Simplist way to do if when your not used to coloring without line art. Most have a sketch before hand anyway.

Alright, thanks. I'll give this a try and let you guys know how it goes. I appreciate the help from all of you.

At 8/24/13 02:52 PM, KyleTheMadcap wrote: I've seen your gallery before on DA very nice stuff

Who? Me?