00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

musti727 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Sab's Art Collab Brainstorm Thread

1,381 Views | 27 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

It's been a while since I've participated in any Newgrounds-related art collabs, so I'm jumping in and starting one up!
Well, sort of. I still can't decide on what type of collab would be more fun. Anybody have any ideas?

Here's an inkshed of some ideas I've had so far:
Hoping to refine the details as I go, so be critical! Throw some ideas at me!

1. Newgrounds Calendar Page Collab:
Using a large template of the words "EVERYTHING BY EVERYONE", artists could team up and work together on pieces of an individual letter. This could also be some kind of huge collage where dozens of thumbnails piece together like a puzzle to spell out the phrase. Could also just stick to spelling "NEWGROUNDS".

2. Self-Portrait Figher Collab
(similar to the old NG Staff page where everybody looks super buff and/or ready for a fight). Participants would draw themselves as a fighter (or their original character) to fit in a specific template with a transparent background, and then all of the characters would be Photoshopped together to possibly fit on next year's calendar

3. Hellbenders Self Portrait Collab:
Simple as that...! Draw yourself as one of the Hellbenders. Then we'd mash them all up into one big happy family portrait ... or something equally fun.
Haven't mentioned this idea to Oney or Psychicpebble yet though. Still just blurting ideas. I'd ask before anything was made official, of course.

4. Pokemon Gif Collab:
Animate a short and simple animated Pokemon until we've got all 150 of 'em! Huge gif could be posted to the art portal in the end, or we could even make some kind of a clickable flash scrapbook to show them off to the flash portal----or both!

5. Newgrounds Pixel Collab:
This one would end up somewhat similar to DeathInk's Pixellated "Cult Classic" pixel game. Everyone participating would 'reserve' a specific character that represents Newgrounds (ex. The Red Castle Crasher, Alien Hominid, Pico, etc) and create a pixel sprite to hide inside a huge i-spy style pixel image. Depending on if we can get programmers / action scripters to help out, we could create a short playable i-spy game.

6. A new Newgrounds Art Worm for 2013-2014:
Referring to the Art Worm that was done back in 2011. Let's start it up again and get some new results! This would require a great deal of help from an Actionscript programmer, however. Would need volunteers for scripting.

7. A new Newgrounds Sketchbook Collab (involves mailing a sketchbook around) Participants would keep mailing it around until it's full and eventually ship it over to NG Headquarters. The finished collection would be posted up as an interactive flash sketchbook.

After I get enough feedback I'll start up whatever art collab seemed to get the most positive reactions. Feel free to add your own ideas or refine my thoughts--- cast your votes, pick your top 3--- whatever! It's all going to be super helpful, so thanks in advance!!

- Sab

BBS Signature

Response to Sab's Art Collab Brainstorm Thread 2013-08-04 14:34:09

I really like the Pixel one and the NG-staff fighter thing. These all sound so gash darn fun though!!!

"I need a katana to slice a banana"

Response to Sab's Art Collab Brainstorm Thread 2013-08-04 14:37:37

I'd do the Self-Portrait Figher Collab

Sab's Art Collab Brainstorm Thread

Response to Sab's Art Collab Brainstorm Thread 2013-08-04 14:55:46

Would be down for fighter collab.

Thered have to be quite a few restrictions and transparency judo that might be too complicated for some people.

A distant engine of hate is stirring....

Illustration | Animation

BBS Signature

Response to Sab's Art Collab Brainstorm Thread 2013-08-04 15:11:19

the fighter collab sounds awesome, I would instantly down with doing something like that.
I'd love to be a half robot punching people in the face.
But the sketchbook one sounds quite awesome as well(although I wouldn't be able to participate, living so far away from america and all)

Response to Sab's Art Collab Brainstorm Thread 2013-08-04 15:17:47

All very good ideas. I'm most interested in "The Worm". I love the fusion aspect it plays with and also how it allows everyone to build off of one another. The Self-portrait fighter and the Pokemon GIF are my second and third choices. The results should be interesting.

Response to Sab's Art Collab Brainstorm Thread 2013-08-04 15:20:37

I like the NG fighter idea. But i also like the calender. SO HARD TO CHOOSE D:

Response to Sab's Art Collab Brainstorm Thread 2013-08-04 15:27:17

At 8/4/13 03:20 PM, JakkMAU5 wrote: I like the NG fighter idea. But i also like the calender. SO HARD TO CHOOSE D:

WHY NOT BOTH? :D

BBS Signature

Response to Sab's Art Collab Brainstorm Thread 2013-08-04 15:36:41

I think the fighter collab sounds the most promising, give the guys some dimensions to work within (or ratios) and away you go

BBS Signature

Response to Sab's Art Collab Brainstorm Thread 2013-08-04 15:44:36

I'll join whatever, best of luck!

BBS Signature

Response to Sab's Art Collab Brainstorm Thread 2013-08-04 15:58:52

The worm is an interesting idea but it would be really hard to coordinate.

The sketch book is cool but I don't know if everyone wants to be giving out their address. THis would also take quite a while.

Therefor~ I think the self-portrait fighter or the pokemon collab are probably the best option.

~I'm Commander Shepard And this is my favorite Animator on Newgrounds~

Response to Sab's Art Collab Brainstorm Thread 2013-08-04 16:30:03

I was talking to Sabs about this earlier, and I think the Fighter one would be the most fun to do.
The pixel idea and the sketchbook one are good too, but we've tried those in the past with mixed results (the Newgrounds Drawing Collab hosted by Jazza as a digital equivalent of the Sketcbook Tour, which had a good 3 year run, and the pixel poster collab which was basically completed artwork wise, but then fell through on the actual compilation and programming stage). Those are still both strong ideas though that would be nice to see brought back to life, but if I had to pick one, I'd go with the fighter collab.

Response to Sab's Art Collab Brainstorm Thread 2013-08-04 16:51:30

I would be interested in joining one of these. I also think the Self-Portrait Fighter one would probably work best, thought most of those look like they would be fun.

"Stay true to yourself; Take care of that which sustains you."

DeviantArt

BBS Signature

Response to Sab's Art Collab Brainstorm Thread 2013-08-04 17:08:28

I vote for the Self-Portrait Figher and Hellbenders.

Sorry for my bad english. I'm not from this planet

Art Page|Art Thread|Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to Sab's Art Collab Brainstorm Thread 2013-08-04 17:26:54

At 8/4/13 05:08 PM, creepyboy wrote: I vote for the Self-Portrait Figher and Hellbenders.

I agree. Not sure how Oney and Psychicpebbles would feel about the latter, but if they don't have a problem with it then i'd probably do either.

Response to Sab's Art Collab Brainstorm Thread 2013-08-04 17:41:55

I think the fighters' and the hellbender's (with oney/pebbles's permission) are the best!

Response to Sab's Art Collab Brainstorm Thread 2013-08-04 17:47:46

I LOVE THEM ALL SO MUCH!!!!!!!!! But , since this is not so helpful , im gonna go with the pick my 3 favs and say:

1) Self-Portrait Figher Collab , stuff like this are always fun

g) Art worm , OMG , i have not seen this till today , my mind was bloooown!!

lol) Pokemon gif , im not into pokemans but i used to as a kid and besides , it would be fun to take a kawai poop and turn it into a fucked up freak

Im crossing fingers any of these will happen , im so gonna participate !!

Response to Sab's Art Collab Brainstorm Thread 2013-08-04 17:58:47

at a second glace, i checked out the art worm, if an image was compiled together and given to me, I could pretty easily program that sort of gallery if you guys wanna do that.

Illustration | Animation

BBS Signature

Response to Sab's Art Collab Brainstorm Thread 2013-08-04 18:38:37

At 8/4/13 05:58 PM, Template88 wrote: at a second glace, i checked out the art worm, if an image was compiled together and given to me, I could pretty easily program that sort of gallery if you guys wanna do that.

Hmmm....! Well, I'm sure we could get the participation for it - just a matter of finishing it in a timely manner. Honestly it wouldn't be horrible if we did two collabs at once to keep the artists waiting their turn occupied.
The problem with the first art worm was that you couldn't jump ahead to work on your submission until the artist before you has theirs posted.

Could you program the same type of theme with a little sprite running/walking like the old version?

BBS Signature

Response to Sab's Art Collab Brainstorm Thread 2013-08-04 18:42:13

At 8/4/13 06:38 PM, Sabtastic wrote: Hmmm....! Well, I'm sure we could get the participation for it - just a matter of finishing it in a timely manner.

Didn't the original Newgrounds Worm take years to finish?

Aigis - Putting the 'ai' back in 'Aigis'.

BBS Signature

Response to Sab's Art Collab Brainstorm Thread 2013-08-04 18:57:10

At 8/4/13 06:42 PM, Aigis wrote:
At 8/4/13 06:38 PM, Sabtastic wrote: Hmmm....! Well, I'm sure we could get the participation for it - just a matter of finishing it in a timely manner.
Didn't the original Newgrounds Worm take years to finish?

Yeah... :(
But I HAVE GOOD FEELING ABOUT DIS VUN.

BBS Signature

Response to Sab's Art Collab Brainstorm Thread 2013-08-04 19:26:32

i vote for the fighter collab but i would love the sketchbook collab also..that would be very kool.

Jesus Saves!!

Response to Sab's Art Collab Brainstorm Thread 2013-08-05 01:40:37

At 8/4/13 06:57 PM, Sabtastic wrote: Yeah... :(

Yeah, because our collab organizer is going to keep on top of things....
Or else *cracks knuckles*

Response to Sab's Art Collab Brainstorm Thread 2013-08-05 02:12:27

Orn's been threatening to make a traditional media version of the worm for ages, like a combination sketchbook collab and digital worm. Lots of details to work out though for it.

What happened to that drunken drawing activity thread idea lego mentioned?

Response to Sab's Art Collab Brainstorm Thread 2013-08-05 11:32:51

At 8/4/13 06:38 PM, Sabtastic wrote:
Could you program the same type of theme with a little sprite running/walking like the old version?

I'm not much of an animator myself, but if somebody had a transparent gif it could be added pretty easily.

Illustration | Animation

BBS Signature

Response to Sab's Art Collab Brainstorm Thread 2013-08-05 11:34:21

At 8/5/13 11:32 AM, Template88 wrote:
At 8/4/13 06:38 PM, Sabtastic wrote:
I'm not much of an animator myself, but if somebody had a transparent gif it could be added pretty easily.

Oh uh, belay that, i forgot thats not quite what the worm program did, i suppose several gifs would be needed, and i would need the raw animation frames.

Illustration | Animation

BBS Signature

Response to Sab's Art Collab Brainstorm Thread 2013-08-05 15:37:18

At 8/4/13 06:57 PM, Sabtastic wrote:
At 8/4/13 06:42 PM, Aigis wrote: Didn't the original Newgrounds Worm take years to finish?
Yeah... :(

If you wanted to speed up the process, instead of just having one file that gets added onto by one person at a time until you reach 60 people or so, you could have four files that fifteen people add onto. And then those four files could be connected into one big worm by people drawing four pictures that lead into two images, on both the left and right of the worm, rather than just the left.

That way it could effectively be done four as fast, maybe.

Aigis - Putting the 'ai' back in 'Aigis'.

BBS Signature

Response to Sab's Art Collab Brainstorm Thread 2013-08-06 03:43:41

At 8/4/13 03:27 PM, Sabtastic wrote:
At 8/4/13 03:20 PM, JakkMAU5 wrote: I like the NG fighter idea. But i also like the calender. SO HARD TO CHOOSE D:
WHY NOT BOTH? :D

Sweet Jesus...

YOUR A GENIUS! :D