00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Scary movies that aren't scary anym

4,818 Views | 25 Replies

anymore.

I'd say Friday the 13th or Nightmare on Elm Street or any of the classics. For some reason I didn't really get scared aside from the jump scares....or is that the point?

Sig by @Brokendeck

BBS Signature

Response to Scary movies that aren't scary anym 2013-02-25 04:13:39

Old horror movies. New effects in newer horror movies makes the old ones seem like a huge comedy.

It's only fun if you get a scar out of it

Team Fortress 2 club

BBS Signature

Response to Scary movies that aren't scary anym 2013-02-25 04:14:08

scary movies never scared me im not retarded

Response to Scary movies that aren't scary anym 2013-02-25 04:21:25

At 2/25/13 04:15 AM, Sekhem wrote: there is no recent film that compares to nosferatu

This.

Newer films usually only go for loud noises, jump scares, and gore. Shock horror fades quickly, but creepy atmospheres and suspense will stick with you for ages. There's nothing like the old classics.

Response to Scary movies that aren't scary anym 2013-02-25 04:24:07

honestly a big thing in horror is subtlety, which unfortunately Hollywood doesn't grasp correctly and the ones who do, know that a movie like that won't be able to compete with explosion summer blockbuster in space 2.

Response to Scary movies that aren't scary anym 2013-02-25 04:27:01

I remember watching Lion King as a kid. It scarred me deeply, so vicious and brutal it was. O_o

As for scary movies, I don't think I watched any scary movies that really scared me. Maybe I was dulled by scary games like Doom and Silent Hill when I started watching scary movies, those two were some frightful experiences when I started playing them!

The latest: Hexa #96 (Apr)

BBS Signature

Response to Scary movies that aren't scary anym 2013-02-25 05:24:18

Most scary movies after you watch them are not scary anymore.

私のちんちん

BBS Signature

Response to Scary movies that aren't scary anym 2013-02-25 06:08:22

I watched Castaway a long time ago and the airplane scene scared the fuck out of me.

but I never really watched many scary movies.

The work, which becomes a new genre itself, will be called...

BBS Signature

Response to Scary movies that aren't scary anym 2013-02-25 08:16:28

Friday the 13th isn't scary anymore. Freddie and Jason used to be spooky when I was younger, but now...I just get a good laugh or two whenever they kill somebody on film.

TracyJackson

The Art of Warfare gaming community Member

Apply into one of our dozen supported clans today! (TAW Clan)

Response to Scary movies that aren't scary anym 2013-02-25 08:24:01

At 2/25/13 04:14 AM, undowenEd wrote: scary movies never scared me im not retarded

Fucking hardcore man, I bet you get more pussy than a toilet seat.

Pretend not to care about anything, but be bothered by everything.

You may be fast on the roads but it's no use on the track.

ScaryPicnic made me do it.My letterboxd.

BBS Signature

Response to Scary movies that aren't scary anym 2013-02-25 09:51:07

I used to find Nightmare On Elm Street scary. When I was like....5 or 6. Ended up not wanting to watch it while I was a kid and avoided it til I was around 12 or 13. Then i ended up watching all of the movies and was okay with em.

even laughed at some of the really stupid deaths.

Other than that I can't say I've ever been scared of any other "scary movies".
Hell my sister drug me along to go see some movie with her an a friend of hers and her friend was scared in the seat next to me and I started to laugh a bit and she punched me!

Formally known as Viper50

When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to Scary movies that aren't scary anym 2013-02-25 09:56:17

To be honest, I never found Friday the 13h to be that scary. Gory? Yes. Gruesome? Yes. But never really that scary.

Nightmare on Elm Street did "suspense" way better than Friday the 13th, so I'd place Freddy ahead of Jason in terms of "scariness".

But nothing competes with Halloween I and II when it comes to suspenseful, awesome classic horror movies. I've seen Halloween I dozens of times, and can predict all of the screams and jump scares, but certain scenes still freak me out - like this one:

Sig by BlueHippo / User Icon by CosmicDeath.

BBS Signature

Response to Scary movies that aren't scary anym 2013-02-25 09:56:59

The majority of scary movies, to me, aren't scary anymore. I recently watched "Seed of Chucky" and laughed at how I was scared by it back in the day.

BBS Signature

Response to Scary movies that aren't scary anym 2013-02-25 10:47:51

At 2/25/13 04:14 AM, undowenEd wrote: scary movies never scared me im not retarded

Really? I get only scared a little, but I still keep my mind open to that it is just an movie and they have special effects, why anyone would be retarded if he gets scared while watching a scary movie? Just, I can laugh at it... Perhaps you're not retarded, but not intelligent enough to use grammar.

"I fapped to this topic."

- Razeroath.

Response to Scary movies that aren't scary anym 2013-02-25 10:48:45

At 2/25/13 04:10 AM, Wegra wrote: anymore.

Implying they once were.

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.

Youtube, Twitch: Mostly games

BBS Signature

Response to Scary movies that aren't scary anym 2013-02-25 11:58:17

I find it funny that usually find things that is not marketed as horror scarier than actually horror movies. Maybe it is because it got that extra element of surprise or something when something scary actually does happen. Because sure a jump scare will always catch you off guard, but when Simba ventures into a elephant burial ground it is a little "what the fuck just happened with my kids movie?".

Also that fucking monkey toy from Toy Story 3!

This is where I wrote something funny

BBS Signature

Response to Scary movies that aren't scary anym 2013-02-25 12:24:41

I don't care much for the jump scare that so many movies goes for. Psychological thrillers are often much scarier, which is why some of the scenes from the shining still gives me chills.

BBS Signature

Response to Scary movies that aren't scary anym 2013-02-25 12:45:59

I don't usually watch horror movies.
They just don't scare me.
I've experienced ghosts before so the ghost horror movies seem like a joke.

Let us wallow in the filth of the void clinging to one another.

Formerly Schizo-sephy.

Response to Scary movies that aren't scary anym 2013-02-25 13:22:15

none of them are scary when you are older

comment pls | follow pls | aka FishType1

BBS Signature

Response to Scary movies that aren't scary anym 2013-02-25 14:06:24

Modern and classic horror movies have both lost their touch for me. Modern ones rely too much on jump scares which I just find boring and older ones are awesome but not scary. (I love Evil Dead)

Ecchi first, ask questions never.

BBS Signature

Response to Scary movies that aren't scary anym 2013-02-25 14:41:09

Saying modern horror is bad is insane when you have films like Kill List and Berberian Sound Studio coming out. Kill List destroyed me in the cinema, not traditionally "scary" but oppressively tense and stressful.

I find that's the sort of horror that works best. The sort of horror where everything looks fine, but there's always a niggling sense that something is going to go horribly wrong very soon and there's nothing anyone can do to stop it.

Formerly TheMaster | PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Scary movies that aren't scary anym 2013-02-25 14:46:41

IMO, there's no such thing as a scary movies. So-called "jump scares" don't count. That's just startling you and playing with your reflexes.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to Scary movies that aren't scary anym 2013-02-25 14:59:09

IT, definitely.

It's more funny than it is scary.

Protect the Muska.

Response to Scary movies that aren't scary anym 2013-02-25 14:59:50

Maybe this movie was scary when it came out?

Response to Scary movies that aren't scary anym 2013-02-25 15:14:27

Psycho I guess. Well it's still somewhat thrilling, but I believe viewers at the time thought it was way scarier than viewers do nowadays.

Also, there's L'Arrivee d'un train en gare de La Ciotat that had people running out of the theatre screaming :p

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]

Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz

The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 5 May 2018)

BBS Signature

Response to Scary movies that aren't scary anym 2013-02-25 15:22:42

A Streetcar Named Desire