00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Vaittus just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Any guitar effect vst to recommend?

1,644 Views | 25 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Hey everybody, I'm currently working with Ableton live on a mac. I was wondering if any of you could possibly recommend a vst or something for guitar effects or amps that i could record with?

Response to Any guitar effect vst to recommend? 2013-02-18 02:58:33

Personally, I think Guitar Rig 5 is the one to get. Some people recommend Amplitube 3, but I don't really like it that much. Either way, these two are the most popular.

Response to Any guitar effect vst to recommend? 2013-02-18 03:52:53

Simulanalog Guitar Suite can work wonders if you know how to use it right.

Response to Any guitar effect vst to recommend? 2013-02-18 07:47:13

I think Amplitube 3 gives the most high quality and versatile amp simulation.

BBS Signature

Response to Any guitar effect vst to recommend? 2013-02-18 08:16:17

At 2/18/13 07:47 AM, CzySzy wrote: I think Amplitube 3 gives the most high quality and versatile amp simulation.

I wouldn't argue about quality because they're all pretty much on-par, but in versatility guitar rig gets my vote since it's also a platform for so many other things.
I use guitar rig to mix anything from guitar to SFX to vocals.

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! Veteran REAPER user. Ready to rock! :)

BBS Signature

Response to Any guitar effect vst to recommend? 2013-02-18 08:21:31

+1 for Guitar Rig. It's just awesome. I don't even use my amp anymore, I hook up my guitars directly to my computer and use the Guitar Rig effects.

Response to Any guitar effect vst to recommend? 2013-02-18 08:59:37

At 2/18/13 08:21 AM, wandschrank wrote:
+1 for Guitar Rig. It's just awesome. I don't even use my amp anymore, I hook up my guitars directly to my computer and use the Guitar Rig effects.

P.S. If you want something just to RECORD guitars... then Line 6 does the UX2 which whoops all their asses. It's only for recording though.

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! Veteran REAPER user. Ready to rock! :)

BBS Signature

Response to Any guitar effect vst to recommend? 2013-02-18 09:50:53

At 2/17/13 10:52 PM, Paranoidhumanoise wrote: Hey everybody, I'm currently working with Ableton live on a mac. I was wondering if any of you could possibly recommend a vst or something for guitar effects or amps that i could record with?

Yes guitar rig 5 takes the cake in my opinion, but i would advise you to try both Amplitube 3 and Guitar Rig 5, the demo limitations are very good for you...guitar rig 5 has a 30 minute and no save limitation and Amplitube 3 has less amps.
Also TH2 Overloud is worth checking out, the demo however is not as usable.

No mather how good you are sometime, somewhere, somehow...

Someone will blow your mind and make feel a beginner again..

BBS Signature

Response to Any guitar effect vst to recommend? 2013-02-18 22:17:10

Hey thanks guys for the response. Looks like Guitar Rig takes the cake.

Response to Any guitar effect vst to recommend? 2013-02-19 00:44:18

I would actually say POD Farm over Guitar Rig!
The only downside I've ever had with it, is that it requires a hardware companion, making it a bit expensive for how it sounds (Similar to GR5).
The up side is the latency-less monitoring, which I wouldn't be able to live without!

BBS Signature

Response to Any guitar effect vst to recommend? 2013-02-19 00:51:26

At 2/18/13 10:17 PM, Paranoidhumanoise wrote: Hey thanks guys for the response. Looks like Guitar Rig takes the cake.

I personally prefer AmpliTube 3.

Here are some decent examples.

BBS Signature

Response to Any guitar effect vst to recommend? 2013-02-20 09:55:31

At 2/17/13 10:52 PM, Paranoidhumanoise wrote: Hey everybody, I'm currently working with Ableton live on a mac. I was wondering if any of you could possibly recommend a vst or something for guitar effects or amps that i could record with?

The StudioDevil British Valve Custom is pretty good. There's no reason not to have a free VST like this in your toolbox.

http://www.studiodevil.com/products/british_valve_custom/

Response to Any guitar effect vst to recommend? 2013-02-20 12:35:52

Line 6 POD farm. My two latest songs use Line 6 gearbox(they are in my sig), which an older precursor to POD farm. If you like the way they sound....go with POD farm or buy a guitarport that comes with gearbox.

Hey check out my music! Its guitarlicious or something.... Pirate Metal! | Rock with guest Female Vocalist

Response to Any guitar effect vst to recommend? 2013-02-21 00:50:55

The StudioDevil British Valve Custom is pretty good. There's no reason not to have a free VST like this in your toolbox.

http://www.studiodevil.com/products/british_valve_custom/

Sweet thanks for the advise, it works great.

Response to Any guitar effect vst to recommend? 2013-02-21 09:14:03

I use Guitar Rig and the Ableton Live Amp and Cabinet. But if you want something for free, try this one: http://acmebargig.com/product/shred/

Response to Any guitar effect vst to recommend? 2013-02-21 09:18:03

I Personally use amplitube with My Ipad and It's really High Quality.

Cheap SoundCloud Plays - PromoteUrMusic.com

Your Own Website From Only $24 - ColorlyMedia.com

Response to Any guitar effect vst to recommend? 2013-02-22 15:57:59

Check this out, free vsts! you do need to use an Impulse loader to get a better tone (Kefir is good),
in the youtube video there are a few links in the description.

http://www.igniteamps.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vdo7mXOih5Y

BBS Signature

Response to Any guitar effect vst to recommend? 2013-02-23 02:18:54

At 2/22/13 03:57 PM, Mattashi wrote: Check this out, free vsts! you do need to use an Impulse loader to get a better tone (Kefir is good),
in the youtube video there are a few links in the description.

http://www.igniteamps.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vdo7mXOih5Y

Cool! thanks very much.

Response to Any guitar effect vst to recommend? 2013-02-23 06:26:58

I personally like Poulin LE456, it's a free plugin and works like a charm.
http://lepouplugins.blogspot.nl/2009/10/le456.html

New tune: Yag

Response to Any guitar effect vst to recommend? 2013-02-23 11:54:01

I use Guitar Rig mostly. It has some great sounds and works a bit like Reason but like with all NI plugins it isn't quite as stable as I'd like. It's responsible for 70-80% of the glitches and crashes I encounter in Logic, but that's fair since I regularly use 10-20 instances of it in a song.

I used Amplitube 2 a lot and it was mostly wonderful but not as customizable as I'd like.

I hate podfarm, gearbox and the built-in amp sims in logic.

Response to Any guitar effect vst to recommend? 2013-02-23 13:32:54

At 2/23/13 11:54 AM, Buoy wrote: I hate podfarm, gearbox and the built-in amp sims in logic.

The thing about PODFarm is that you don't use it ina DAW, you just it beforea DAW.
As in, Guitar/Bass/Microphones/Turntables > Interface > PODFarm > Ableton Live.
Works awesomely. It's almost like a virtual channel strip/preamp. Oh, and the like 2ms (processed) monitoring is the best.

BBS Signature

Response to Any guitar effect vst to recommend? 2013-02-23 13:58:00

At 2/23/13 01:32 PM, ATTW7-Envy wrote:
At 2/23/13 11:54 AM, Buoy wrote: I hate podfarm, gearbox and the built-in amp sims in logic.
The thing about PODFarm is that you don't use it ina DAW, you just it beforea DAW.
As in, Guitar/Bass/Microphones/Turntables > Interface > PODFarm > Ableton Live.
Works awesomely. It's almost like a virtual channel strip/preamp. Oh, and the like 2ms (processed) monitoring is the best.

But I just want to record the direct signal. The big advantage of software is that you can change the settings as much as you like after the recording.

Response to Any guitar effect vst to recommend? 2013-02-23 14:07:13

At 2/23/13 01:58 PM, Buoy wrote: But I just want to record the direct signal. The big advantage of software is that you can change the settings as much as you like after the recording.

The direct signal is what I'm recording. I'm only monitoring processed.

That's the twist.

BBS Signature

Response to Any guitar effect vst to recommend? 2013-02-23 14:11:55

At 2/23/13 02:07 PM, ATTW7-Envy wrote:
At 2/23/13 01:58 PM, Buoy wrote: But I just want to record the direct signal. The big advantage of software is that you can change the settings as much as you like after the recording.
The direct signal is what I'm recording. I'm only monitoring processed.
That's the twist.

Oh ok but then I don't understand how this is substantially different from just using it as a plugin except perhaps the latency and performance aspects. The reasons I don't like the Line6 stuff are the sounds and the software interface

Response to Any guitar effect vst to recommend? 2013-02-23 14:18:45

At 2/23/13 02:11 PM, Buoy wrote: Oh ok but then I don't understand how this is substantially different from just using it as a plugin except perhaps the latency and performance aspects. The reasons I don't like the Line6 stuff are the sounds and the software interface

The latency and performance is the substantial difference. The hardware it comes with is excellent. Not to mention that I prefer it's flexibility of sound way more than any other on the software level.

BBS Signature

Response to Any guitar effect vst to recommend? 2013-02-24 10:04:45

Guitar Rig is good, but I think Orange Tree Samples Evolution Electric Guitar has some real good effects, also a very realistic Kontakt library

Plinkydinkydonk