00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

New Art Thread

17,990 Views | 227 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to New Art Thread 2013-05-13 03:02:24

At 5/12/13 06:26 PM, KiwiSundae wrote: Okay. Let's hope I get this right this time. This time, I am going to attempt...A full-body painting! I did happen to use a reference pic for this one, especially for the legs. All I can hope for is that they're *mostly* correct.

How is she standing up? With the way she's standing, there's no way she's balancing on on just one foot. You should bring her leg down so that it's actually touching the floor. By all rights she should be falling over in that pose.

Response to New Art Thread 2013-05-13 09:56:36

At 5/13/13 03:02 AM, quillandpaper wrote:
At 5/12/13 06:26 PM, KiwiSundae wrote: Okay. Let's hope I get this right this time. This time, I am going to attempt...A full-body painting! I did happen to use a reference pic for this one, especially for the legs. All I can hope for is that they're *mostly* correct.
How is she standing up? With the way she's standing, there's no way she's balancing on on just one foot. You should bring her leg down so that it's actually touching the floor. By all rights she should be falling over in that pose.

Well, then I can solve the problem by painting a wall. That way, I don't have to make too many alterations, and I can explain how she's balancing.

The time for making a webcomic is now..Introducing...

BBS Signature

Response to New Art Thread 2013-05-13 09:58:58

still leaves an awkward pose in its wake. the raised leg especially. do gestures from references.

A distant engine of hate is stirring....

Illustration | Animation

BBS Signature

Response to New Art Thread 2013-05-13 10:22:14

At 5/13/13 09:56 AM, KiwiSundae wrote: Well, then I can solve the problem by painting a wall. That way, I don't have to make too many alterations, and I can explain how she's balancing.

But that doesn't really solve the problem. She's still got no support on her left side. She'll just topple over.

Response to New Art Thread 2013-05-13 12:26:38

At 5/13/13 10:22 AM, quillandpaper wrote:
At 5/13/13 09:56 AM, KiwiSundae wrote: Well, then I can solve the problem by painting a wall. That way, I don't have to make too many alterations, and I can explain how she's balancing.
But that doesn't really solve the problem. She's still got no support on her left side. She'll just topple over.

What would you suggest then?

BBS Signature

Response to New Art Thread 2013-05-13 12:36:16

I know JUST what to do!

I'll just...Paint a tree instead! It's at the right angle for it, too, so I figured, hey, why not?

New Art Thread

BBS Signature

Response to New Art Thread 2013-05-13 13:22:14

I can teach you how to ink, it takes a lot of patience but it works, and you don't even need a tablet.

My YouTube Channel feel free to support me on Ko-Fi

I do video essays on ATLUS games

BBS Signature

Response to New Art Thread 2013-05-13 14:07:24

At 5/13/13 01:22 PM, Absinthe wrote: I can teach you how to ink, it takes a lot of patience but it works, and you don't even need a tablet.

I won't need to ink anymore with the style I am going for. I want to have a virtually lineless style, where lines only emphasize certain parts of the drawing, such as dividing lines between breasts, accessories, etc. Besides, I don't even have any working ink pens made for drawing. I appreciate the offer, though.

Also, this:

New Art Thread

BBS Signature

Response to New Art Thread 2013-05-13 14:28:22

This picture makes no sense. Why is she wearing that dress outside, and why is it that you can only draw trees? I will pay you to make a female martial arts fight, Karate vs capoeira.

My YouTube Channel feel free to support me on Ko-Fi

I do video essays on ATLUS games

BBS Signature

Response to New Art Thread 2013-05-13 15:05:36

At 5/13/13 02:28 PM, Absinthe wrote: This picture makes no sense. Why is she wearing that dress outside, and why is it that you can only draw trees? I will pay you to make a female martial arts fight, Karate vs capoeira.

You have a deal, but AFTER this piece is done. Besides, the piece isn't supposed to make sense. For God's sake, I added trees that look like hands. I might even add some giant mushrooms and other stuff.

BBS Signature

Response to New Art Thread 2013-05-13 15:31:16

At 5/13/13 02:28 PM, Absinthe wrote: This picture makes no sense. Why is she wearing that dress outside, and why is it that you can only draw trees? I will pay you to make a female martial arts fight, Karate vs capoeira.

Also, I want a 12 month premium membership on DA for payment. My current subscription is running out.

BBS Signature

Response to New Art Thread 2013-05-13 15:33:50

I have made more progress on this pic, and will be selling it as a print upon completion. I feel like I'm really getting better at this.

New Art Thread

BBS Signature

Response to New Art Thread 2013-05-13 15:40:31

At 5/13/13 03:33 PM, KiwiSundae wrote: I have made more progress on this pic, and will be selling it as a print upon completion. I feel like I'm really getting better at this.

Well sorry, but it still looks like she would tip over to the left, because the tree looks like it's behind her (not supporting her enough from the left side). Quickly shopped something:

New Art Thread

Response to New Art Thread 2013-05-13 17:09:04

At 5/13/13 12:26 PM, KiwiSundae wrote: What would you suggest then?

I told you. Changing the position of her left leg so that it's rest on the ground, though you'd have to do some foreshortening, she would be a lot more stable than how you have her.

Response to New Art Thread 2013-05-13 22:32:12

At 5/13/13 05:09 PM, quillandpaper wrote:
At 5/13/13 12:26 PM, KiwiSundae wrote: What would you suggest then?
I told you. Changing the position of her left leg so that it's rest on the ground, though you'd have to do some foreshortening, she would be a lot more stable than how you have her.

Well, I can't change it now. I'm already painting it. Besides, I figure a tree should suffice as adequate balancing.

BBS Signature

Response to New Art Thread 2013-05-14 13:22:05

BBS Signature

Response to New Art Thread 2013-05-14 23:55:45

My newest project. Now, I am starting to draw some Persona fan art. This is the kind of direction I will be taking from now on, as well.

Before anyone complains when I say the girl in question is in fact, Aigis, in Persona 0, my fan project, the year is 2018. The year Persona 3 took place was 2009, a nine-year difference. I reasoned that since nine years have passed, Aigis should get a new design; one that is simpler and streamlined, and covers up those mechanical parts, yet still makes her look robotic. She's still a robot, but she looks less so, so she can blend in with the crowd a lot easier.

Besides, this pic will turn out pretty damn awesome if I play my cards right. I mean, you've got Aigis' nervous expression, a demon about to eat Aigis, while Aigis is dodging just in the nick of time. This is truly me trying to challenge myself and do more expressive art.

New Art Thread

BBS Signature

Response to New Art Thread 2013-05-15 16:47:37

'Twas fixed, Madame...I changed the arm, so that more of her other arm is showing.

New Art Thread

BBS Signature

Response to New Art Thread 2013-05-15 19:08:57

I ADDED A BACKGROUND! So, now I know what I want in there! Think of this realm as "Sub-Space" and you quickly realize that reality does not apply here. That explains why Aigis may be at a weird angle, and why the monster is also at a weird angle. The victim in question is suffering an emptiness in his heart, which is why there is very little in this realm. The Dreamscape takes on the surreal sins or feelings of whoever is thrown in.

New Art Thread

BBS Signature

Response to New Art Thread 2013-05-15 23:22:18

Persona 0 project logo.

New Art Thread

BBS Signature

Response to New Art Thread 2013-05-17 00:52:23

In response to Otto's critique of my last piece, I decided to challenge myself and give Aigis some colored tones to her shading instead of just darker versions of the same color. There are some subtle blues within her shading. This is just a progression pic to show how far I am right now. I will definitely put my all into this piece.

New Art Thread

BBS Signature

Response to New Art Thread 2013-05-17 01:30:24

i dont know how the character must look like, but it kinda looks like it has some rocket horse legs.

Response to New Art Thread 2013-05-17 02:09:04

Why did you leave her breasts like that? I flat out told you they were lopsided. Her right breast is hanging way too low comparison to her left one. I told you this long before you even started painting.

Response to New Art Thread 2013-05-17 10:04:56

At 5/17/13 02:09 AM, quillandpaper wrote: Why did you leave her breasts like that? I flat out told you they were lopsided. Her right breast is hanging way too low comparison to her left one. I told you this long before you even started painting.

It's the angle her torso is at. The angle makes that make sense. Sorry I left it that way, but the angle just makes it make sense, at least to me, anyway.

BBS Signature

Response to New Art Thread 2013-05-17 10:06:37

At 5/17/13 01:30 AM, Banzanimation wrote: i dont know how the character must look like, but it kinda looks like it has some rocket horse legs.

The original character had a much more mechanical design. The idea was to make her less mechanical looking. Also, there's a human-looking girl under that suit. 10th Gen Anti-Shadow Suppression Weapons were made to look more human.

BBS Signature

Response to New Art Thread 2013-05-17 10:20:20

At 5/14/13 11:55 PM, KiwiSundae wrote: Aigis should get a new design; one that is simpler and streamlined, and covers up those mechanical parts, yet still makes her look robotic.

But the only reason all those mechanical parts were visible in the original game was because it made the design look super cool. There was no logic behind it. She was still somehow able to attend high school. You seem to be trying to get rid of the parts of the design that make it interesting.

Aigis - Putting the 'ai' back in 'Aigis'.

BBS Signature

Response to New Art Thread 2013-05-17 10:57:03

At 5/17/13 10:20 AM, Aigis wrote:
At 5/14/13 11:55 PM, KiwiSundae wrote: Aigis should get a new design; one that is simpler and streamlined, and covers up those mechanical parts, yet still makes her look robotic.
But the only reason all those mechanical parts were visible in the original game was because it made the design look super cool. There was no logic behind it. She was still somehow able to attend high school. You seem to be trying to get rid of the parts of the design that make it interesting.

Not really, I'm still trying to capture her mechanical side, but try to dial it down a notch. The year in my story is 2018, so with more time comes new technology.

BBS Signature

Response to New Art Thread 2013-05-17 11:35:27

So, in response to criticisms regarding her less mechanical design, I added a few features that may reinforce her more streamlined, more computer-based design. I added a sort of "vitals" system of glowing lines, like the ones featured on the orbital frames of Zone of the Enders. These lines only appear in combat, and are there to indicate her condition. Obviously, she is fine for now, because the lines are light blue. Also, I added a fold on her outfit that indicates her body twisting to meet the demands of her current pose. I hope that helps in the long run.

New Art Thread

BBS Signature

Response to New Art Thread 2013-05-17 12:00:26

At 5/17/13 11:40 AM, Escalus wrote:
At 5/17/13 11:35 AM, KiwiSundae wrote: So, in response to criticisms regarding her less mechanical design, I added a few features that may reinforce her more streamlined, more computer-based design. I added a sort of "vitals" system of glowing lines, like the ones featured on the orbital frames of Zone of the Enders. These lines only appear in combat, and are there to indicate her condition. Obviously, she is fine for now, because the lines are light blue. Also, I added a fold on her outfit that indicates her body twisting to meet the demands of her current pose. I hope that helps in the long run.
NO. JUST. NO

Go back and actually FIX the problems instead of drawing a single line while saying "oh it's totally fine now, I drew a FUCKING LINE"

I wish I COULD go back and fix it, BUT, I'm already painting it, and there's a shit ton of layers to deal with. Sorry I didn't get it exact this time. Next time, I will.

BBS Signature

Response to New Art Thread 2013-05-17 12:09:27

At 5/17/13 12:00 PM, KiwiSundae wrote: I wish I COULD go back and fix it, BUT, I'm already painting it, and there's a shit ton of layers to deal with. Sorry I didn't get it exact this time. Next time, I will.

This is the only time I'm going to butt in on this, since I doubt whatever I say is going to do anything. But
- Somebody already pointed out to you the boobs were on the skew at the sketch stage, but you didn't bother addressing it then.
- If you want to simplify how many layers you're working with, save a duplicate file and merge the finalised layers together. It makes your file easier to work with, and if you do make a mistake you can return to layers in your old versions.
- Most importantly, there is NOTHING stopping you from making a new layer, painting over her chest and sort out those fleshy blobs. Her chest does not look like its angled away.

This is a simple error that isn't too late to fix.

BBS Signature