00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

FylypFimpossible just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Global Warming pros and cons

6,827 Views | 94 Replies

Global Warming pros and cons 2013-01-19 14:37:36

Now we all know about the negative things Global Warming might cause. Example low land areas like Florida could be submerged. But what about the Positive things that can come from it? Example Northern climates will be warm enough for farming.

So I made this post to talk about several things. What do you think the negatives of Global Warming might be? What do you think the positives of Global Warming might be? Do you think it exists and if so what do you think should be done about it if anything?

Response to Global Warming pros and cons 2013-01-19 14:59:43

When the nearby river swells i'll have riverfront property!

Response to Global Warming pros and cons 2013-01-19 15:08:44

You know global warming is a naturally occuring event that has happened over the period of the Earth's life. It is also followed by global cooling. Mankind has seen some relatively minor weather during its time.

Response to Global Warming pros and cons 2013-01-19 15:18:58

Ceratisa has an interesting point. Is global warming Natural or man/lady made? What do you think?

Response to Global Warming pros and cons 2013-01-19 15:51:39

At 1/19/13 02:59 PM, CaveStoryGrounds wrote: When the nearby river swells i'll have riverfront property!

;;;;
I've already got that ...& its subzero here agian to day, about 4/5 inches of snow has fallen ...
So if there really is global warming any chance you can send some this way ? ? ?

I'm gettin' the winter blah's its been so cold & snowy & overcast for the last week !
So in an attempt to cheer myslef (& some of my family up) I'm making rib sauce so i can soak those back ribs all night long & slow cook 'em ta'morrow !

Those who have only the religious opinions of others in their head & worship them. Have no room for their own thoughts & no room to contemplate anyone elses ideas either-More

Response to Global Warming pros and cons 2013-01-19 16:04:52

Even if the water level does rise and Florida gets submerged it will not happen over night like the global warming people seem to imply.

Response to Global Warming pros and cons 2013-01-19 16:09:25

Now what do the global warming nuts want exactly? The world to never change? That isn't healthy for the planet.

Response to Global Warming pros and cons 2013-01-19 16:09:39

At 1/19/13 03:08 PM, Ceratisa wrote: You know global warming is a naturally occuring event that has happened over the period of the Earth's life. It is also followed by global cooling. Mankind has seen some relatively minor weather during its time.

You've made it clear that you think Global Warming is a natural event but what about my other questions? What do you think the pros and cons of this will be for us?

Response to Global Warming pros and cons 2013-01-19 16:20:35

At 1/19/13 04:09 PM, Jmayer20 wrote:
At 1/19/13 03:08 PM, Ceratisa wrote: You know global warming is a naturally occuring event that has happened over the period of the Earth's life. It is also followed by global cooling. Mankind has seen some relatively minor weather during its time.
You've made it clear that you think Global Warming is a natural event but what about my other questions? What do you think the pros and cons of this will be for us?

For us? Probably unforeseeable. We know that natural disasters tend to increase when the world's climate changes. The current climates will also change. But the world needs change in order to survive, that is a repeatedly reoccurring theme.

Response to Global Warming pros and cons 2013-01-19 16:21:15

Climate Change has been studied for over a century, and has been called "Climate Change" since the beginning. "Global warming/cooling" are media spun terms. Climate change is another natural cycle, this is accepted by every scientist. Climate change is being amplified by humanity, this is accepted by 98% of all scientists (the last 2% working for oil companies).

Humanity is witnessing the worst weather and climate conditions on record. We are aiming at having more Co2 PPM than ever in the Earth's entire history. The oceans are becoming more acidic. Over forestation (such as the destruction of the amazon jungle) is resulting in fewer sinkholes for Co2 and other gases. Humanity completely dwarfs the pollution of all the worlds volcanoes.

Though in some places you might see records being broken in cold temperatures, over-all the Earth is warming.

p.s: There are solutions. However as time passes the solutions become more extreme and expensive.

Response to Global Warming pros and cons 2013-01-19 16:29:24

Response to Global Warming pros and cons 2013-01-19 16:39:04

At 1/19/13 04:29 PM, Ceratisa wrote: http://www.forbes.com/sites/larrybell/2012/07/17/that-scient ific-global-warming-consensus-not/
Eat it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surveys_of_scientists%27_views_
on_climate_change

http://physicsworld.com/cws/article/news/2010/jun/24/climate -change-sceptics-are-less-credible-scientists-finds-survey
http://www.skepticalscience.com/global-warming-scientific-co nsensus-basic.htm
http://www.wunderground.com/resources/climate/928.asp

Did you know, Bill O'Reilly doesn't know how/why the waves come in and out?

Response to Global Warming pros and cons 2013-01-19 16:54:08

At 1/19/13 04:39 PM, CaveStoryGrounds wrote: Did you know, Bill O'Reilly doesn't know how/why the waves come in and out?

Okay, then. How did the moon get there? huh? Who put the moon there?

lolreily

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to Global Warming pros and cons 2013-01-19 16:54:16

That has nothing to do with that blow hard, what I pointed out was why that study was flawed. Sorry you have a hard time understanding that
http://wattsupwiththat.com/2012/07/18/about-that-overwhelmin g-98-number-of-scientists-consensus/
This even has an easy graph for you to understand.

http://heartland.org/sites/default/files/10-2012_myth_of_the _98_percent.pdf?q=sites/default/files/05-02-12_bast_myth_of_
the_98.pdf

Read it

Response to Global Warming pros and cons 2013-01-19 17:07:49

At 1/19/13 04:54 PM, Ceratisa wrote: Read it

You realize I just posted a list of sources which contain and use more surveys than just the two your sources keep mentioning. Side that, you can always read up on scientific articles and journals on climate change to make your own judgement. Anyone that follows the data will find the debunking of the AGU survey meaningless as the fact remains of humanities contribution to climate change.

End of story.

Response to Global Warming pros and cons 2013-01-19 17:42:24

Anything that results in less people on the planet is a net bonus for those remaining

+10000 win

Response to Global Warming pros and cons 2013-01-19 18:03:38

It is naturally occurring right, but at least learn what the whole thing is about. Temperatures are rising at an unprecedented rate making the change occur at a faster rate. At the same time CO2 levels are rising at an unprecedented rate. This is causing many things, floods in some area's and droughts in other, the Artic opening up to marine trade, stronger hurricanes etc. Scientists were predicting that stuff to decades, hell the Artic opening up was supposed to happen in 2050 not already be commonplace 2012.

Of course there are deviant scientists, but few have constructed good arguments or any possible alternative. One example was the Green Earth society. They predicted that deserts would vent happy vanish because plants would grow more and be more efficient and the plants would balance out everything. Well time has passed and none of that has occurred. Keep in mind while they say these things they're getting big checks from energy companies.

"If you don't mind smelling like peanut butter for two or three days, peanut butter is darn good shaving cream.

" - Barry Goldwater.

BBS Signature

Response to Global Warming pros and cons 2013-01-19 18:10:35

Anyone who still denies climate change in this day and age with all the mountains of evidence is an idiot.

Does the earth's temperature change naturally? Yes it does. Is the earth's natural change being excellerated due to the unsustainable amount of chemicals we are pumping into the atmosphere at a unrelenting extent? Absolutely. I think it's immoral of us not to admit that we have a problem. The earth is not inherited to you from your parents, it is loaned to you by your children.

BBS Signature

Response to Global Warming pros and cons 2013-01-19 18:10:36

unprecedented? We haven't been watching global tempertures long enough to even claim something like that..

Response to Global Warming pros and cons 2013-01-19 18:12:58

At 1/19/13 06:10 PM, Fim wrote: Anyone who still denies climate change in this day and age with all the mountains of evidence is an idiot.

The earth is not inherited to you from your parents, it is loaned to you by your children.

Kinda like how our government's spending is out of control?

Response to Global Warming pros and cons 2013-01-19 18:31:06

At 1/19/13 06:10 PM, Ceratisa wrote: unprecedented? We haven't been watching global tempertures long enough to even claim something like that..

Millions of years not long enough?

Response to Global Warming pros and cons 2013-01-19 18:32:38

At 1/19/13 06:12 PM, Ceratisa wrote: Kinda like how our government's spending is out of control?

Out of control?

What this has to do with global warming, I have no idea. I think government spending is going to be the least concern a couple of decades from now.

Anyway, you won't deny that there's a very steady trend upward and no evidence that climate change has or will level off, right?

BBS Signature

Response to Global Warming pros and cons 2013-01-19 18:52:43

At 1/19/13 06:31 PM, CaveStoryGrounds wrote:
At 1/19/13 06:10 PM, Ceratisa wrote: unprecedented? We haven't been watching global tempertures long enough to even claim something like that..
Millions of years not long enough?

Did you even read what you linked..?

Response to Global Warming pros and cons 2013-01-19 19:01:28

Out of control?

Oh come on you know how flawed that chart is. I can cherry pick charts too.

Response to Global Warming pros and cons 2013-01-19 19:10:13

At 1/19/13 07:01 PM, Ceratisa wrote: Oh come on you know how flawed that chart is. I can cherry pick charts too.

No, I don't, actually. But I don't really care either, because that's not what this thread is for.

BBS Signature

Response to Global Warming pros and cons 2013-01-19 19:13:58

To Warforger and CaveStoryGrounds

Both of you clearly believe in Global Warming and have talked about negatives to it. But Nether of you answered my other two questions. Can you think of any positives to Global Warming and what do you think we should do about Global Warming?

PS: Do you think any of the positives outweigh the negatives?

Response to Global Warming pros and cons 2013-01-19 19:24:09

er...I haven't had to shovel nearly as much in the last few years?

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to Global Warming pros and cons 2013-01-19 19:28:09

At 1/19/13 06:52 PM, Ceratisa wrote: Did you even read what you linked..?

Did you? Tree rings go back centuries, ice cores go back hundreds of thousands of years, and rock layers reveal data going back millions of years.

Response to Global Warming pros and cons 2013-01-19 19:29:20

I really don't see how the opening up of a fairly small amount of new land to farming is any real trade off for the negatives.

It's like finding a $100 bill on the ground after getting shot 10 times. It's nice, but hardly makes up for it.

Response to Global Warming pros and cons 2013-01-19 19:31:52

At 1/19/13 07:24 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: er...I haven't had to shovel nearly as much in the last few years?

Is that an example of a positive of Global Warming?