00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Why I Support Banning The Burkha

2,948 Views | 25 Replies

Why I Support Banning The Burkha 2013-01-16 09:20:30

I am fucking sick of seeing this medievil garb in my country (Britain). It trivializes rape because it gives out the massage that women should have to cover themselves in a dark sheet to avoid men being overcome by lust when they see them.

The burkha is cultural terrorism, which attacks men by claiming that we will rape women according to what they wear, which is just fucking stupid. I think all feminists should abhor and detest this garment.

It just makes me so fucking angry, France had the right idea in banning the burkha.

Response to Why I Support Banning The Burkha 2013-01-16 09:35:11

At 1/16/13 09:20 AM, Ononymous wrote: I am fucking sick of seeing this medievil garb in my country (Britain). It trivializes rape because it gives out the massage that women should have to cover themselves in a dark sheet to avoid men being overcome by lust when they see them.

because it gives out the massage

the massage

Yeah fuck massages.

BBS Signature

Response to Why I Support Banning The Burkha 2013-01-16 09:42:07

I had a professor in Social Anthropology who did field work on Islamic women in western societies. The interesting points she came out with was that for the women that wear them, it is an option, even within the Islamic societies in the west. The main reason they choose to wear it has very little to do with any sort of "prevention of sexual objectification" as much as it has to do with asserting themselves as both a Muslim and as a woman in a place where Islam is less prevalent.

It's about creating a sense of identity for a lot of them, and I could never encourage the stripping of another person's identity.

Response to Why I Support Banning The Burkha 2013-01-16 09:43:51

Why would you want to ban cumming on ladies faces?

Response to Why I Support Banning The Burkha 2013-01-16 10:00:37

People should dress the way they want to.

It's only fun if you get a scar out of it

Team Fortress 2 club

BBS Signature

Response to Why I Support Banning The Burkha 2013-01-16 10:00:54

At 1/16/13 09:42 AM, positively-negative wrote: The interesting points she came out with was that for the women that wear them, it is an option, even within the Islamic societies in the west.

According to Wikipedia it's still enforced by various warlords in southern Afghanistan?

BBS Mod, PM me if you have something to report.

BBS Signature

Response to Why I Support Banning The Burkha 2013-01-16 10:02:13

At 1/16/13 10:00 AM, LiquidFire wrote: People should dress the way they want to.

Even if it expresses a harmful message, like the wearing of a swastika armband?

Response to Why I Support Banning The Burkha 2013-01-16 10:06:12

At 1/16/13 10:00 AM, Dry-Ice wrote: According to Wikipedia it's still enforced by various warlords in southern Afghanistan?

I was being specific towards Islamic women in Western countries who have the option, not the extreme and draconian views exhibited by lunatic warlords in Southern Afghanistan.

Response to Why I Support Banning The Burkha 2013-01-16 10:16:30

At 1/16/13 10:04 AM, MrPercie wrote:
At 1/16/13 10:02 AM, Ononymous wrote: Even if it expresses a harmful message, like the wearing of a swastika armband?
you dont know what the message of the burkha is then.

The message of the burkha is that women would be violated by men in their countries without hiding the parts of their bodies that could attract them.

In other words it legitimises sexual assault and it makes me wonder why feminists aren't up in arms over it.

Response to Why I Support Banning The Burkha 2013-01-16 10:24:44

At 1/16/13 10:06 AM, positively-negative wrote:
At 1/16/13 10:00 AM, Dry-Ice wrote: According to Wikipedia it's still enforced by various warlords in southern Afghanistan?
I was being specific towards Islamic women in Western countries who have the option, not the extreme and draconian views exhibited by lunatic warlords in Southern Afghanistan.

Ahh okay, my mistake then. I still think it's an interesting subject, my views on the subject are that it should be a choice and not enforced but to suggest banning it is pathetic, just like banning any article of clothing would be.

People get so up in arms about symbolism and jumping to harsh conclusions, for example the swastika arm band issue - the swastika was an Indian symbol for good luck before it was ever used to represent the ideals of the Nazi party. I get that a swastika arm-band in red, white and black is difficult to interpret any other way, but until you know for sure that the person wearing it is a neo-Nazi, you shouldn't judge them that way.

BBS Mod, PM me if you have something to report.

BBS Signature

Response to Why I Support Banning The Burkha 2013-01-16 10:49:45

The burka-wearing women I see do talk to men shamelessly. I doubt they somehow encourage rape.

"Ų®ŁŠŲØŲ± Ų®ŁŠŲØŲ± ŁŠŲ§ŁŠŁ‡ŁˆŲÆ Ų¬ŁŠŲ“ Ł…Ų­Ł…ŲÆ Ų³ŁˆŁ ŁŠŲ¹ŁˆŲÆ"

BBS Signature

Response to Why I Support Banning The Burkha 2013-01-16 11:01:57

At 1/16/13 09:20 AM, Ononymous wrote:

:It trivializes rape because it gives out the massage that women should have to cover themselves in a dark sheet to avoid men being overcome by lust when they see them.

I agree with this. I would hope that they would feel more comfortable wearing what they want outside of their country, but its their religion, so ya cant really complain about it. Like jews wearing yamakas or the amish wearing all that pilgrim stuff.

"Man, I nearly snapped my twig. Then again I nearly snapped A few of you"- Alice in Chains

BBS Signature

Response to Why I Support Banning The Burkha 2013-01-16 11:06:57

At 1/16/13 10:02 AM, Ononymous wrote:
At 1/16/13 10:00 AM, LiquidFire wrote: People should dress the way they want to.

you're a fucking fascist and you hate free speech, ergo you hate freedom

you're a bigger danger to freedom in the UK than a million burkhas

Response to Why I Support Banning The Burkha 2013-01-16 11:38:35

At 1/16/13 11:06 AM, Earfetish wrote:
At 1/16/13 10:02 AM, Ononymous wrote:
you're a fucking fascist and you hate free speech, ergo you hate freedom

you're a bigger danger to freedom in the UK than a million burkhas

I didn't say it should be directly banned did I?

Anyway, if you think it's fascist to ask people to adhere to a dress code, why not defend people's right to wear a balaclava into a bank or to walk naked down the street? People with full head coverings can disguise their identities in security situations, but people have to respect the burqa and get called racist in multiculti Britain if they ask women to unveil for security reasons- look at Jack Straw asking women to remove their veils in his office- freedom is limited by how harmful something is to others!

Response to Why I Support Banning The Burkha 2013-01-16 12:23:58

A lot of women enjoy wearing the burkha because they love feeling closer to God. Who are you to want to deny them that?

It's a grey issue. The best way is to wait for religion to just fade away.

This is a song about cum on hotel walls.

BBS Signature

Response to Why I Support Banning The Burkha 2013-01-16 12:45:10

People can wear burkhas is they want to. No one's making you wear it. Get over it, and stop overreacting about what it means to you. If you don't believe in it, you shouldn't care.

Response to Why I Support Banning The Burkha 2013-01-16 12:48:52

At 1/16/13 09:20 AM, Ononymous wrote: The burkha is cultural terrorism, which attacks men by claiming that we will rape women according to what they wear...

Actualy it's true. If you see girl which looks like a slut, you treat her like a slut no matter what she wants to be treated like.

Response to Why I Support Banning The Burkha 2013-01-16 12:59:54

At 1/16/13 09:42 AM, positively-negative wrote: I had a professor in Social Anthropology who did field work on Islamic women in western societies. The interesting points she came out with was that for the women that wear them, it is an option, even within the Islamic societies in the west. The main reason they choose to wear it has very little to do with any sort of "prevention of sexual objectification" as much as it has to do with asserting themselves as both a Muslim and as a woman in a place where Islam is less prevalent.

It's about creating a sense of identity for a lot of them, and I could never encourage the stripping of another person's identity.

I would believe that the prevention of sexual objectification is not the only reason for wearing them (or is perhaps not even a reason at all).

However, it sounds a little implausible to me that Arabian women have a free choice to wear burkhas or not and that there is absolutely no pressure coming from anywhere (not from men, not from the Muslim society, not from social norms, not from other women) to wear them.

Anyway, whatever the reasons, I'm not in favour of a ban like in France. If it is purely out of choice then it's fine because everyone should be free to wear what they like. If women are forced to wear them for questionable reasons then I think it's best to try and convince Muslims it's not okay, hoping that they will voluntarily stop the usage of them. I get that that's difficult and time consuming though and instigating a ban is easy.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]

Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz

The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 5 May 2018)

BBS Signature

Response to Why I Support Banning The Burkha 2013-01-16 13:02:46

At 1/16/13 11:38 AM, Ononymous wrote: I didn't say it should be directly banned did I?

Please see thread title for evidence

why not defend people's right to wear a balaclava into a bank or to walk naked down the street?

I support the rights of commercial property owners to decide their own dress codes, from 'no trainers in this club' to 'no face coverings in the bank'. I also support the right of you to throw people out of your house if they don't take their shoes off in the hallway. I don't support all-out bans on anything though, even though I agree with you that the burkha represents women as second-class citizens and that the arguments supporting it say some pretty offensive things about rape.

Response to Why I Support Banning The Burkha 2013-01-16 20:54:50

Not to mention that girl in Philadelphia got kidnapped by a woman in full Muslim garb that hid her identity. Yes, the school staff were completely fucking boneheaded and should be fired/sued for allowing the woman to take her, but at that point, it's a serious public safety risk. What if someone were to use that to rob a bank?

Response to Why I Support Banning The Burkha 2013-01-16 21:00:05

I used to think they were oppressive.

[I've been wandering round but I still come back to you]

BBS Signature

Response to Why I Support Banning The Burkha 2013-01-16 21:10:03

Fights for womens' rights.
Tells them what they can't wear.

S&Box, the gameĀ Facepunch Studio have been working on.

BBS Signature

Response to Why I Support Banning The Burkha 2013-01-16 21:12:22

I know 3 Muslim girls and they all chose to wear hijabs (can't wear burkhas because we wear uniforms). They do out of respect for their religion and respect for themselves.

<3

BBS Signature

Response to Why I Support Banning The Burkha 2013-01-16 21:18:21

They wear it because some muslims idea of nakedness extends to showing a womans skin, forcing them to show it is like forcing someone to strip naked. Thats why they say they do it out of deceny, its like how we wear clothes over our genitals.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Awrah
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burkha#Overview

comment pls | follow pls | aka FishType1

BBS Signature

Response to Why I Support Banning The Burkha 2013-01-16 22:10:37

I have stopped giving a shit about things a long time ago. I suggest you join me...

II II lI

BBS Signature

Response to Why I Support Banning The Burkha 2013-01-17 08:09:36

At 1/16/13 09:10 PM, FattyWhale wrote: Fights for womens' rights.
Tells them what they can't wear.

I suppose you would be fine with ku klux klan unifroms being worn around your neighbourhood, then.

I do not want a garb that gives a pretext for rape being worn around my area. I find it highly offensive.