00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

ChOW #53 Re-animator

6,876 Views | 67 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

ChOW #53 Re-animator 2012-07-31 19:41:22

ChOW #53 -Re-animator

For anyone that doesnâEUTMt know CHOW, it stands for character of the week and it is a weekly art competition. There are no physical prizes itâEUTMs just for fun and practice (and fame and glory). Anyone and everyone no matter of your skill level can participate

Rules:
- Humanoid creatures only
- Follow the topic (loosely if you want)
- Original characters only
- No old stuffâEU¦ make new art
- Put effort in
- Have fun and learn

This weekâEUTMs theme is Re-animatorâEU¦ someone who would raise the dead or restore life

Post your finished pieces in this thread. The deadline is August 5th!

Next week is COW(creature of the week) you can PM me topic suggestions if you like

Have fun :D

ChOW #53 Re-animator

Like me on the FaceBook :D

Response to ChOW #53 Re-animator 2012-07-31 19:54:51

I'm so participating :)

Can't wait to see everyone else's entries!

DDMeat, you're participating too, right? I'm assuming that's why you didn't make a starting pic. :3

Response to ChOW #53 Re-animator 2012-07-31 20:07:01

I guess I cant paste these thingies from MSword :C

At 7/31/12 07:54 PM, Kashi wrote: I'm so participating :)

Can't wait to see everyone else's entries!

DDMeat, you're participating too, right? I'm assuming that's why you didn't make a starting pic. :3

Of course I am!! I just started sketching out some ideas :D

Response to ChOW #53 Re-animator 2012-07-31 20:40:17

I loved the Re-Animator series, so I'm definitely interested to see what comes.

Response to ChOW #53 Re-animator 2012-08-01 01:08:57

Count me in on this. I've never done any ChOW's before, so this 'll be fun. The character doesn't have to be from the re-animator movie, right?

f r i c k e n a w e s o m e

Response to ChOW #53 Re-animator 2012-08-01 05:51:23

At 8/1/12 01:08 AM, DrawFall wrote: Count me in on this. I've never done any ChOW's before, so this 'll be fun. The character doesn't have to be from the re-animator movie, right?

Original characters only, so nope it can't be from the movies

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature

Response to ChOW #53 Re-animator 2012-08-01 14:40:31

This week's theme is Re-animator¦ someone who would raise the dead or restore life

Count me in too. I've sketched out the re-animated, just trying to think of what I want the re-animator to look like.
Scanner's busted, hopefully only until tomorrow, so this is just with a (albeit low-mp) webcam

ChOW #53 Re-animator

Just testing things out l popcorn

XWarrior code 61: There's family, friends, and honor. In terms of importance: 1 is permanent, 2 and 3 are interchangeable.

BBS Signature

Response to ChOW #53 Re-animator 2012-08-01 19:01:27

Here a work in progress of a necromancer I'm working on.

ChOW #53 Re-animator

BBS Signature

Response to ChOW #53 Re-animator 2012-08-01 21:19:03

Here's my work in progress.

ChOW #53 Re-animator

Response to ChOW #53 Re-animator 2012-08-01 22:06:50

This sounds really cool, I may give it a shot if I have time this week. I used to run something like this on another forum called Themecraft where the winners of each one would choose 3-5 themes and rules for the next round. Perhaps if this gets popular enough myself and some other users wouldn't mind donating small prizes for each round to make it even more popular.

(>'-')>

Response to ChOW #53 Re-animator 2012-08-02 03:52:57

Crazy like a fox comes to mind. Have nooo idea where I'm going with this. Humanoid enough?

At 7/31/12 07:41 PM, DooDooMeaT wrote: ChOW #53 -Re-animator

ChOW #53 Re-animator

| Art n' animation Tumblr | R&S comic Tumblr | Follow for LIVE streams Twitter | Animation CH YouTube |

Response to ChOW #53 Re-animator 2012-08-02 04:31:15

At 8/2/12 03:52 AM, maficmelody wrote: Crazy like a fox comes to mind. Have nooo idea where I'm going with this. Humanoid enough?

At 7/31/12 07:41 PM, DooDooMeaT wrote: ChOW #53 -Re-animator

it has 2 arms and 2 legs and stands upright, yeah that's humanoid.

anyway, like the traditional idea, was afraid no one was going to do do it since it was too mainstream.

Response to ChOW #53 Re-animator 2012-08-02 05:08:41

Nice wips poeple, good to see some different takes

At 8/1/12 09:19 PM, DrawFall wrote: Here's my work in progress.

Looking good, but I do hope the finished one shows more of the actual reanimator character

At 8/2/12 04:31 AM, M-Maher wrote: it has 2 arms and 2 legs and stands upright, yeah that's humanoid.

Humawhatnow?

ChOW #53 Re-animator

BBS Signature

Response to ChOW #53 Re-animator 2012-08-02 07:19:34

I don't want to do like a standard necromancer, but I'm afraid I might be veering a bit too far from the topic. What do you guys think?

ChOW #53 Re-animator

Latest Blog Entry - thx

BBS Signature

Response to ChOW #53 Re-animator 2012-08-02 11:20:15

well... it's a start

ChOW #53 Re-animator

Just testing things out l popcorn

XWarrior code 61: There's family, friends, and honor. In terms of importance: 1 is permanent, 2 and 3 are interchangeable.

BBS Signature

Response to ChOW #53 Re-animator 2012-08-02 12:22:06

ZaneZansorrow... It looks amazing!! I can't wait to see it finished...

DrawFall- This looks like its gonna be really cool. I'm not sure a pair hands would be considered a "character" but...

maficmelody- This is a nice start. Hmm... I think its kinda humanoid...ish :D

BilalZ- I suggest finding a reference of a pose you like

idiot-monarch- Awesome! Its a great idea... I can't wait to see it finished!! :D

XWarrior61- Its a nice start and a cool idea. I knew someone was going to a Dr. Frankenstein type character :)

Great ideas so far and wips so far guys!! ...I'll be posting my WIP later!!

Please PM me some ideas for next weeks COW(creature of the week)

Response to ChOW #53 Re-animator 2012-08-02 15:31:35

I think I'm done with mine.

The Reanimator mends bodies with her own flesh and infuses them with the souls of the dead to bring them back to life.

ChOW #53 Re-animator

Latest Blog Entry - thx

BBS Signature

Response to ChOW #53 Re-animator 2012-08-02 16:47:22

Guess I'll post my wip here too.

ChOW #53 Re-animator

BBS Signature

Response to ChOW #53 Re-animator 2012-08-02 18:07:44

At 8/2/12 04:47 PM, J-qb wrote: Guess I'll post my wip here too.

Me too.
I've got a feeling this won't be allowed, since the majority of the pic isn't the character.

But to hell with it.

ChOW #53 Re-animator

BBS Signature

Response to ChOW #53 Re-animator 2012-08-02 18:10:37

WIPpage.

ChOW #53 Re-animator

Response to ChOW #53 Re-animator 2012-08-02 19:06:05

At 8/2/12 06:10 PM, Kashi wrote: WIPpage.

where are the goddamn tits

Response to ChOW #53 Re-animator 2012-08-02 22:25:40

I felt like giving this a try. The first bump I ran into was the difference between reanimation and ressurection.

In one case, we're talking about literally bringing the dead back to life: Re-inserting the soul into the body and restoring the body to a state in which it can survive. This would be a full-fledged ressurection. This would be the act made by someone considered a healer, or a miracle, where deceased family members could be returned ( or like the Advent from Sins of a Solar Empire who like to bring their commanders back from dead to serve once more on the front line so their expertise is not lost ) This ressurection is usually a spiritual event or a scientific breakthrough, or the power of healing.

Then there's the zombie / necromancy reanimation. This one is not a ressurection because you are not actually bringing the dead back to life, rather you're turning the deceased body into a soul-less puppet that will do your bidding ( in the case of necromancy ) or a soul-less husk that will roam around aimlessly, without any sense of who it once was, eating people at will ( zombies, obviously ). This reanimation is usually done through "black" magic or science gone wrong.

Finally, there's the..uhm... well let's just call it the Strogg, from Quake, who strap machine parts to dead bodies to get them to move, which could be part of the science gone wrong part of the above paragraph.

I felt like any attempt at ressurection I could do would eventually just end up looking like Advent so I decided to go for reanimation. Then what? Magic or science? Fuck it, let's do both, and some lore to go with it:

Necromancers of ages past would reanimate the bodies of the recently deceased as ghouls to do their bidding. However, to to such a thing, they had to put a part of their own life force into the body to allow it to move. Because of this cost, even the best necromancers could only command a dozen ghouls at once, at the experience left them drained and ill for months.

Several thousand years later, science has progressed to a point where necromancers can support their failing bodies with machinery, allowing them to pour massive amounts of their own life force into the dead. Their bodies rot and decay and the missing parts are replaced and reinforced until the necromancer is nothing but death and metal himself. This allows them to summon not dozens, but hundreds of undead minions at any one time.

Here be the concept sketch and sorry for the wall of text.

ChOW #53 Re-animator

Response to ChOW #53 Re-animator 2012-08-02 22:33:27

Raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah everything I draw these days is shit.

Response to ChOW #53 Re-animator 2012-08-02 22:59:03

At 8/2/12 10:33 PM, PatBest22 wrote: Raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah everything I draw these days is shit.

Better.

ChOW #53 Re-animator

Response to ChOW #53 Re-animator 2012-08-02 23:15:17

A work in progress, real men use pink for their sketches :P

ChOW #53 Re-animator

My YouTube Channel feel free to support me on Ko-Fi

I do video essays on ATLUS games

BBS Signature

Response to ChOW #53 Re-animator 2012-08-03 00:13:50

I completely ditched my other WIP, and opted for something with more... tits. Still WIP.

ChOW #53 Re-animator

Response to ChOW #53 Re-animator 2012-08-03 01:40:38

fun stuff. WIP

ChOW #53 Re-animator

Response to ChOW #53 Re-animator 2012-08-03 05:26:05

At 8/3/12 01:40 AM, Izzy-A wrote: fun stuff. WIP

You are absolutely phenomenal!

Anyway here's my finished painting, Slenderman can raise the dead.

ChOW #53 Re-animator

BBS Signature

Response to ChOW #53 Re-animator 2012-08-03 05:39:55

At 8/3/12 05:26 AM, Absinthe wrote: Anyway here's my finished painting, Slenderman can raise the dead.
At 7/31/12 07:41 PM, DooDooMeaT wrote: Rules:
- Original characters only

Sorry bud

Latest Blog Entry - thx

BBS Signature

Response to ChOW #53 Re-animator 2012-08-03 06:45:50

oh crap, it started out as a generic necromancer and then turned into slendy, I'm sorry.

BBS Signature