00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

kazukino55 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Dark Knight Rises ending sucks!

11,229 Views | 66 Replies

Response to Dark Knight Rises ending sucks! 2012-07-20 21:44:46

I know this is my first post, but hear me out.

So by now most people know what happened in the Dark Knight Rises. And while the movie had some technical problems (example: Talia switched seats in the truck and the dude in the truck vanished), some plot holes, and some inconsistances (Bruce was not Batman for the whole 8 years, then how did the orphan kid remember him? That kid was only 12 or so.), despite all of that the film was actually pretty good.

We had amazing performances from Ann Hathaway and Tom Hardy. I really think they both nailed their characters for sure. As did Bale, Oldman, and Caine.

But after the movie ended I was really, really upset that the ending. I know it had been predicted months ago, and that many people loved the ending, but I just could not get over the fact that John Blake (or shall I say Robin.....Seriously, that was another extremely stupid choice on Nolan's part to make that his name) was going to become Batman and Bruce Wayne went on to live a home life with Selina. (The finding of the Cave was a nice touch but I think it was too ambiguous and open ended.)

So I took some time and I really thought about it and one of the first things that really got me through it was that this was Nolan's universe, and he had always planned on having Bruce give it up. That was made clear from the Second Film.

However I was still bothered that Bruce would simply abandon Gotham. It was his city, and his one true love besides Rachel. I just kept thinking Bruce has to come back.

And then it hit me.

1. Bruce obviously wants Blake to take the mantle. Bruce is done, his body is broken.
2. Bruce therefore wants Blake to succeed at becoming Batman.
3. Blake has limited knowledge, training, money, and equipment.
3a. Blake does not have the money or resources to maintain the cave, the tumbler, the pod, the Bat, the suits, or the equipment.
3b. Without proper training Blake is going to die.
3c. Without proper training Blake cannot fly the Bat or use the Tumbler
4. Bruce has vast knowledge, training, resources, and equipment.
4a. Obviously Bruce has money still because he was able to get from the Prison to Gotham and then at the end escape, and fly to Florence.
5. Blake is unlikely to go to Gordon for help and money, and also unlikely to go to Fox.

Conclusion: Blake needs Bruce to come back and train him and finance everything. Bruce has to come back and show Blake the ropes. Though Bruce will not resume the mantle of Batman, he has to come back.

This fits in Nolan's universe, because with his realism, Blake cannot survive on his own, especially with his extremely limited resources. It would be next ti impossible, even when we factor in the other unrealistic elements of the film.

What do you guys think?

Response to Dark Knight Rises ending sucks! 2012-07-20 22:01:05

At 7/19/12 10:30 AM, Darthdenim wrote: Bruce Wayne just fakes his death so he can run off to paris and have coffee with Catwoman? Batman's a fucking quitter!

So he should have to stay being fucked over forever rather than move on and actually learn to enjoy his life and try to get laid with Catwoman? I fail to see the logic there. This actually sounds great for Batman it is good that he can let his past go after moping about it his whole life.

I'm supposed to believe some rookie cop with no training is gonna became the new Batman? Forget about it!

Bruce Wayne started off with full training and ability to kick arse then?

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.

Youtube, Twitch: Mostly games

BBS Signature

Response to Dark Knight Rises ending sucks! 2012-07-20 22:08:00

Why did Alfred suddenly know who Bane was and his backstory?

What the hell happened between the time Bruce got out of the hole, and the time he got back to Gotham?

Show stuff, movie! You could have totally cut out Matthew Modine and showed important plot stuff!

Response to Dark Knight Rises ending sucks! 2012-07-20 22:12:09

At 7/20/12 09:44 PM, ErikRegnauld wrote: I know this is my first post, but hear me out.

THANKSYOU! Brilliant post.

Failure should push you until success can pull you.

BBS Signature

Response to Dark Knight Rises ending sucks! 2012-07-20 22:14:32

At 7/20/12 10:05 PM, Travis wrote:
At 7/20/12 10:01 PM, Ragnarokia wrote:
At 7/19/12 10:30 AM, Darthdenim wrote: Bruce Wayne just fakes his death so he can run off to paris and have coffee with Catwoman? Batman's a fucking quitter!
So he should have to stay being fucked over forever rather than move on and actually learn to enjoy his life and try to get laid with Catwoman? I fail to see the logic there. This actually sounds great for Batman it is good that he can let his past go after moping about it his whole life.
I agree, it's the realism factor. Bruce Wayne has AGED. This isn't the comic books, this is a realistic take. Quit nitpicking.

I don't quite get what you are complaining about here. Is it not liking the fact it is realistic? I find it amusing also that I am apparently nitpicking for approving of him getting on with his life while you obviously aren't nitpicking being the one complaining about such a thing.

I'm supposed to believe some rookie cop with no training is gonna became the new Batman? Forget about it!
Bruce Wayne started off with full training and ability to kick arse then?
And this is also assuming that absolutely no cops go through the police academy... lol.

So...I really don't get your continued complaints here either, it seems you are just randomly saying things. My point stands that you can't complain someone without training becomes Batman when Bruce himself started off without training, he made himself into Batman as all others who take the name also do and have done in the past.

BBS Signature

Response to Dark Knight Rises ending sucks! 2012-07-20 22:32:19

At 7/20/12 10:30 PM, Travis wrote:
At 7/20/12 10:14 PM, Ragnarokia wrote: stuff
I was agreeing with you lol.

Ah my applogies, I thought it was the OP replying for some reason so that's why it didn't seem to make much sense, makes a lot more sense that it was a different person.

I will blame a mix of being tired and not giving a shit.

BBS Signature

Response to Dark Knight Rises ending sucks! 2012-07-20 22:39:50

Did it bother anybody else that Gotham is a different city again?

I loved the way Gotham looked in Batman Begins, and I didn't like how they just turned Gotham into Chicago in TDK.

Then they go and change the city again! Now it's New York.

Why does Gotham have to look like a totally different place in every damn movie?

Response to Dark Knight Rises ending sucks! 2012-07-20 22:47:52

At 7/20/12 12:14 PM, jjjkuk wrote: Fixed.

seriously, dude?

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to Dark Knight Rises ending sucks! 2012-07-20 22:50:47

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hen0ZIhmL04&feature=g-all-u

The Cinema Snob thought it was a mess too.

I'm kind of glad It's not just me.

Response to Dark Knight Rises ending sucks! 2012-07-20 23:14:09

At 7/20/12 10:58 PM, e-lord wrote: banes voice was goddamn hilarious

in the comics he was supposed to be hispanic

as opposed to whatever the fuck that is

And I thought Batman's voice was unintentionally funny. Bane took that to a whole new level.

Response to Dark Knight Rises ending sucks! 2012-07-21 00:05:47

At 7/20/12 10:12 PM, TrevorW wrote:
At 7/20/12 09:44 PM, ErikRegnauld wrote: I know this is my first post, but hear me out.
THANKSYOU! Brilliant post.

Thank you as well.

I just thought I would share my opinion.

Response to Dark Knight Rises ending sucks! 2012-07-21 00:11:02

The whole realism thing goes out the window when Bruce Wayne teleports back to Gotham from fucking India.

If this were any other superhero franchise I would let it go, but these movies are supposed to have a sort of pseudo realism to them. This movie damn near shattered that concept.

Response to Dark Knight Rises ending sucks! 2012-07-21 00:43:44

At 7/21/12 12:11 AM, Darthdenim wrote: The whole realism thing goes out the window when Bruce Wayne teleports back to Gotham from fucking India.

If this were any other superhero franchise I would let it go, but these movies are supposed to have a sort of pseudo realism to them. This movie damn near shattered that concept.

He didnt teleport. It was a matter of days. The whole time period between the activation of the bomb and its detonation was 5 months.

So Bruce got out of the Prison and it took him several days to get back to Gotham. International flights take a day or two, so its not a huge stretch to think that he got back in time.

Response to Dark Knight Rises ending sucks! 2012-07-21 00:50:17

There is no guards at that prison. They seriously have not figured out how to get out of there?

The Robin name drop was the worst thing of all. Robin is not the characters name! That's like finding out that the Joker's christian name actually is Joker.

Is Bruce Wayne's legal name Baterson Manfred?

Response to Dark Knight Rises ending sucks! 2012-07-21 08:50:01

At 7/21/12 12:50 AM, Darthdenim wrote: The Robin name drop was the worst thing of all. Robin is not the characters name! That's like finding out that the Joker's christian name actually is Joker.

I don't know anything about comics of Batman or anything, but the Robin part made me go what the fuck. I loved the movie (except Bane's voice), but the ending left me baffled. Does he become Batman? Or Robin? Does Bruce Wayne come back? Did he leave a Robin suit? Where do we even go from here? Will there be a new movie?

Fucking open endings man.

Yea, I farm Anal Penguins. Do something about it.

BBS Signature

Response to Dark Knight Rises ending sucks! 2012-07-21 09:10:45

The bom thing was so fucking cliche, I clocked out when that came around.

A vagina is really just a hat for a penis.

BBS Signature

Response to Dark Knight Rises ending sucks! 2012-07-21 09:51:29

there's nothing wrong with the ending, just your taste in films

GABRIEL CASTLEBERRY

BBS Signature

Response to Dark Knight Rises ending sucks! 2012-07-21 11:51:11

What part of Robin = Robin do you people not understand?

HE'S NOT BECOMING THE NEXT BATMAN

Why the hell would his name be Robin if he became the next Batman? This movie was too smart for you people.

This is my signature. It is a nice signature.

BBS Signature

Response to Dark Knight Rises ending sucks! 2012-07-21 11:53:01

I thought that was Alferds imagination, he see's that all the time when he eat at that cafe.

Response to Dark Knight Rises ending sucks! 2012-07-21 15:06:17

At 7/21/12 11:51 AM, jjjkuk wrote: What part of Robin = Robin do you people not understand?

HE'S NOT BECOMING THE NEXT BATMAN

Why the hell would his name be Robin if he became the next Batman? This movie was too smart for you people.

Actually he is not becoming Robin, that was just Nolan making a nod to the fans and to signify that he was Batman's successor.

The Robins from the CB are Jason Todd, Tim Drake, and Dick Grayson. Not Robin John Blake.

Robin Blake is going to become Batman, but as I said on the previous page, Bruce is going to come back and help.

In reality it doesnt matter because Nolan's series is done, and WB will do a reboot in a few years anyway to fit Batman into the Justice League movies.

Response to Dark Knight Rises ending sucks! 2012-07-22 19:00:30

Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb.

Response to Dark Knight Rises ending sucks! 2012-07-22 21:59:09

dont worry, the MOVIE is BETTER then NG

deedd

Response to Dark Knight Rises ending sucks! 2012-07-23 00:14:09

At 7/19/12 01:19 PM, Darthdenim wrote: I had hoped that Morgan Freeman might actually get to act in this one, but no.

It's just Morgan Freeman being Morgan Freeman...again.

And thats means what exactly?

QOTW:

"I hate you because you never pass up and opportunity to mention that you are a "female"-Wreckr

How to review like your opinion matters

BBS Signature

Response to Dark Knight Rises ending sucks! 2012-07-23 03:34:09

I also loved how they sent the ENTIRE police force underground to look for Bane.

Nobody thought that might be a problem?

Response to Dark Knight Rises ending sucks! 2012-07-23 03:43:07

At 7/19/12 08:48 PM, Austerity wrote:
At 7/19/12 01:19 PM, Darthdenim wrote:
It's just Morgan Freeman being Morgan Freeman...again.
Just like in all of his movies. Very undeserving of his reputation.

Wasn't even going to reply until I read this.

There are many, many actors, singers, what have you that do not deserve their fame, popularity or reputation but one does not bring Morgan Freeman to such a level.

I wish to never know you.

BBS Signature

Response to Dark Knight Rises ending sucks! 2012-07-23 03:47:29

At 7/23/12 03:43 AM, FallenMartyr wrote:
There are many, many actors, singers, what have you that do not deserve their fame, popularity or reputation but one does not bring Morgan Freeman to such a level.

Meh. Morgan Freeman is always playing...Morgan Freeman. Like Nicholas Cage always plays Nicholas Cage. Not necessarily the same character, but the same demeanor.

-Officially Based-I saw a girl die.

BBS Signature

Response to Dark Knight Rises ending sucks! 2012-07-23 03:49:22

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1345836/board/nest/202143975

This explains the flaws in this movie better than I could.

Response to Dark Knight Rises ending sucks! 2012-07-23 03:52:34

At 7/23/12 03:47 AM, MiloBased wrote:
At 7/23/12 03:43 AM, FallenMartyr wrote:

Meh. Morgan Freeman is always playing...Morgan Freeman. Like Nicholas Cage always plays Nicholas Cage. Not necessarily the same character, but the same demeanor.

I can concede this point but this does not indicate lack of skill. So to speak, why fix what isn't broken.

Plus many actors are guilty of this.

BBS Signature

Response to Dark Knight Rises ending sucks! 2012-07-23 10:22:49

What is it about open endings that people hate so much? Seriously, is it so much to ask that a movie-goer has their own imagination? I'm pretty sure that he wanted to end with Alfred raising the glass and not showing what he was looking at, but after the clusterfuck that was the fallout from Inception's ending he knew he couldn't not show it. Not everything has to be a closed loop, and you should be capable of filling in a few holes on your own.

My only real complaint with the movie is that the bass in my theater was turned up too high, so Bane's voice got unintelligible at times. Given the take Nolan had on the Batman universe, this is the only way it could have ended: Batman dies, Bruce Wayne lives on, and another "nobody" is inspired to replace him.

Deploy the... it's a yellow button... it's usually flashing... it makes the engines go... whoosh!

Back my puzzle/adventure story mashup

Response to Dark Knight Rises ending sucks! 2012-07-23 14:56:42

I would've been fine with it if Batman actually did die. I think that might've been a more suitable and closuring ending to this series. Alternatively, I like the idea someone brought up here of the screen blacking out when Alfred smiles into the camera. That might have been perfect actually.

I don't get why some people complain so much about John Blake and Robin at the end. All it seemed to me was a simple nod to the fans that wasn't meant to be taken too seriously.

Anyway, I enjoyed the film very much myself. I don't think it's as good as The Dark Knight, but I didn't expect it to be so I didn't end up disappointed. Admittedly, the first hour felt too slow to me, but I was on the edge of my seat for the entire last hour. As for Bane, I think he's a good villain and I liked his voice. Only issue I have with him is that his ideals and motives become a bit blurry once you learn who he really is. I thought maybe he stood for some "Occupy" idea ("give the power back to the 99%"), but it seemed like he was no more than some mercenary working out somebody else's plan.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]

Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz

The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 5 May 2018)

BBS Signature