00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Maxicranky just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Ng Anthology's On Kickstarter!

4,131 Views | 37 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

This is it!

Come Support the NEWGROUNDS WRITING ANTHOLOGY on KICKSTARTER!

Over two years in the making, The Newgrounds Writing Anthology was conceived by Newgrounds user gumOnShoe, who posted a thread on the BBS, proposing to create an anthology of literature authored by writers frequenting the Newgrounds Writing Forum. That post eventually took on a life of its own, and the anthology continued even when gumonShoe became to busy to see it through to completion (Life, it happens).

Composed of fourteen stories and seven poems, the combined effort of seventeen talented authors has resulted in Newgrounds' first-ever publication of written fiction. This anthology will be printed through Lulu and the print and e-book copy will be purchasable through the Newgrounds store.

The kickstarter is designed to fund and support the full not-for-profit publication of this anthology, which I and the rest of the authors believe will encourage yet another untapped resource of the internet, aspiring writers of the digital age, to bring the potential for creativity on the internet full circle. We don't want this just to be a vanity project (though we are very proud of it, to be sure). Through this book, we hope to introduce just how much opportunity lies in online collaboration and how much power the new age of publishing has been transferred to the artist.

I myself am a writer and animator and have been a member of Newgrounds since 2003. I cannot overstate the impact the website has had in fostering my own personal creativity and passion for collaborating with individuals online. But I also know I am not alone in this sentiment. Over the years, Newgrounds has helped give exposure and, more importantly, ultimate creative freedom to literally thousands of aspiring creators and artists. Newgrounds as a haven for creators and their fans has been ahead of the curve since the beginning, and everyday it is on Newgrounds that we witness the potential rise of the next big thing whether it be in the form of animation, music, art, or now, literature.

I want to let the stories speak for themselves, but at least I'd like to stress that these stories are all varied, exciting, funny, and intense, exactly something you would expect of a Newgrounds effort.

About those rewards... we're putting forth a lot of effort to make sure these rewards are worthwhile to each individual. That's why with the higher tier awards, we want you to get involved with creative process by helping us craft your own ideas into works of fiction and offer advice on where you could end up taking your writing. As always, we hope that some of that will involve the Newgrounds community.

Why We Need Your Support!

In light of this mission we decided that the funds incurred from this kickstarter would go towards making this collection as accessible as possible, supported on as many devices as possible, while still retaining the spirit of a passion project, something that is in common with pretty much everything seen on Newgrounds.

In addition to tablets and e-readers, we also want to see a tangible book come out of this, both for Newgrounds enthusiasts and those who are just fond of the old trade paperback or dust-jacket. This is where the majority of the funding will go towards. Remember, this is a not-for-profit project. Money is needed to buy pre-order copies and send them right to your door so they arrive the day of the official release.

Thanks all backers in advance! Get ready to be entertained.

That's all for now! Please don't hesitate to message if you have any question at all!

Response to The Ng Anthology's On Kickstarter! 2012-06-19 14:28:17

And I have been so patiently awaiting this since its very first conception!

now where's my credit card..

Response to The Ng Anthology's On Kickstarter! 2012-06-19 15:12:56

At 6/19/12 02:28 PM, 4urentertainment wrote: And I have been so patiently awaiting this since its very first conception!

Sorry for deleting your response on my teaser blog post. I got so mad when you figured it out.

Response to The Ng Anthology's On Kickstarter! 2012-06-19 22:20:44

Awesome. I've jumped on the social media to get the word out, so glad to see this thing becoming a reality. Having been around from the start of the project, just watching this thing grow and transform has been totally awesome. You've done a great job Ben!

READ: "A Fear of Great Heights" and other forthcoming adventures right HERE

Signature Picture by: Spartan204

BBS Signature

Response to The Ng Anthology's On Kickstarter! 2012-06-20 12:53:15

At 6/19/12 03:12 PM, EKublai wrote:
At 6/19/12 02:28 PM, 4urentertainment wrote: And I have been so patiently awaiting this since its very first conception!

Sorry for deleting your response on my teaser blog post. I got so mad when you figured it out.

Haha, it's alright :P

I've just pledged, which hopefully would give me another chance to be part of this historic part of Newgrounds.

Response to The Ng Anthology's On Kickstarter! 2012-06-20 14:23:08

At 6/20/12 12:53 PM, 4urentertainment wrote:

Haha, it's alright :P

I've just pledged, which hopefully would give me another chance to be part of this historic part of Newgrounds.

Thanks! This is awesome. Second day and we're 60% golden.

Response to The Ng Anthology's On Kickstarter! 2012-06-21 12:27:18

So what are you gonna do when the 30 days is up and you have like an extra $5,000 raised?

Grungy Mech action in 1940s Russia! Read Iron and Ice!

Response to The Ng Anthology's On Kickstarter! 2012-06-21 16:34:37

At 6/21/12 12:27 PM, starwarsjunkie wrote: So what are you gonna do when the 30 days is up and you have like an extra $5,000 raised?

Well, at that point we rent a big ol' bus and go on tour. I stop being personable with people who contribute to our cause and only communicate with them through autographs.

Actually, the scenario where we make $6,000 involves me sobbing uncontrollably over how many personalized short stories I'll have to write. $5,000/$50 = 100 short stories............... AGHHHHHH!!!!

Response to The Ng Anthology's On Kickstarter! 2012-06-21 20:45:20

Donated.

Writing Forum doesn't get enough love these days.

BBS Signature

Response to The Ng Anthology's On Kickstarter! 2012-06-21 23:29:20

Goal. Congrats.

Now lets see where 28 days down the rabbit hole gets you. :P

Response to The Ng Anthology's On Kickstarter! 2012-06-23 21:34:08

If you pledge $20 now, you'll be getting the book on the cheap!

Response to The Ng Anthology's On Kickstarter! 2012-07-04 18:14:28

Just updated the site with a new video and good news for Ipad users!

Never been a better time to donate!

except when you had more money.

Response to The Ng Anthology's On Kickstarter! 2012-07-11 22:10:23

Just posted a neat update. Check it out!

Response to The Ng Anthology's On Kickstarter! 2012-07-19 03:52:02

I was rather young when this forum was first released, but I took great pride in this forum during its early days; because of this youth I probably wrote and acted in a juvenile fashion, but I always cared deeply. My efforts bared some fruit, but I cannot even compare it to this. Because of this I can safely say that I am so very proud to see the hard work of 17 writers from this forum turn into something real and tangible. I cannot wait to see the finished product.

Failure should push you until success can pull you.

BBS Signature

Response to The Ng Anthology's On Kickstarter! 2012-07-20 13:02:00

Well, the kickstarter's over. Time to get out those rewards.

Response to The Ng Anthology's On Kickstarter! 2012-07-20 14:54:16

Congrats. Keep us all updated on the progress. And if you need anything from me, my door is open.

Response to The Ng Anthology's On Kickstarter! 2012-07-20 15:56:40

At 7/20/12 01:02 PM, EKublai wrote: Well, the kickstarter's over. Time to get out those rewards.

Yay! Book time!

Response to The Ng Anthology's On Kickstarter! 2012-07-31 17:11:33

Now ordering the books!

Response to The Ng Anthology's On Kickstarter! 2012-07-31 23:19:19

At 7/31/12 05:11 PM, EKublai wrote: Now ordering the books!

Hot damn!

Response to The Ng Anthology's On Kickstarter! 2012-08-07 23:34:16

Everyone with an iphone should check out Tom's post about the iOS game Shellrazor featuring the art of Jouste, who did the cover art for... you guessed it... The NGA!

Response to The Ng Anthology's On Kickstarter! 2012-08-08 10:53:31

Please let me know when the hardcover is available. I didn't have the funds to help with the kickstarter, but I'm in a much better situation now. I want to show my support.

Response to The Ng Anthology's On Kickstarter! 2012-08-08 16:11:12

At 8/8/12 10:53 AM, Deathcon7 wrote: Please let me know when the hardcover is available. I didn't have the funds to help with the kickstarter, but I'm in a much better situation now. I want to show my support.

Of course.

Response to The Ng Anthology's On Kickstarter! 2012-08-10 18:50:23

Some people are getting their books, I hear. That's great. I just reformatted the master file for the umpteenth time so that it justifies a little prettier. Should have the ebook and paperback edition by the end of next week. Then I'll ship out for the launch on Newgrounds, Amazon, and B&N!

Response to The Ng Anthology's On Kickstarter! 2012-08-11 18:49:18

At 8/10/12 06:50 PM, EKublai wrote: Some people are getting their books, I hear. That's great. I just reformatted the master file for the umpteenth time so that it justifies a little prettier. Should have the ebook and paperback edition by the end of next week. Then I'll ship out for the launch on Newgrounds, Amazon, and B&N!

Also, it's mah brithday

Response to The Ng Anthology's On Kickstarter! 2012-08-11 18:55:31

At 8/11/12 06:49 PM, EKublai wrote:
Also, it's mah brithday

Happy Birthday! It's going out to B&N too? That's awesome!

"there is no true end to any fairy-tale"~ J.R.R. Tolkien

Response to The Ng Anthology's On Kickstarter! 2012-08-11 20:04:43

At 8/11/12 06:55 PM, Sharu wrote:
At 8/11/12 06:49 PM, EKublai wrote:
Also, it's mah brithday
Happy Birthday! It's going out to B&N too? That's awesome!

Yep. Barnes & Noble.... online.

Response to The Ng Anthology's On Kickstarter! 2012-08-12 12:30:42

Got the book yesterday! Look forward to reading it!

Response to The Ng Anthology's On Kickstarter! 2012-08-23 07:30:23

Lookie what just arrived :D

It's really inspiring to hold this in my hands. And to see the usernames of all the writers whose stories I've enjoyed reading on this forum. Newgrounds' talents have branched in all direction. NG has always nurtured potential until it bloomed into something beautiful, with young enthusiastic flash artists becoming animators for TV shows, to aspiring game programmers releasing their game on consoles, to musicians to even voice actors, and now, writers.

It's just chilling to think that, perhaps these countless people may have never gotten where they are today if it weren't for some 13 year old kid's NeoGeo magazine.

Response to The Ng Anthology's On Kickstarter! 2012-08-23 18:45:50

so aaaahm when do you start accepting submissions for the second book

BBS Signature

Response to The Ng Anthology's On Kickstarter! 2012-08-23 20:38:54

At 8/23/12 06:45 PM, munio wrote: so aaaahm when do you start accepting submissions for the second book

Glad someone else asked that so I didn't have to.