00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

kazukino55 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Football 2012 Game *need Help!*

1,887 Views | 31 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Football 2012 Game *need Help!* 2012-06-07 18:58:05

Brief Summary:

I started this project alone hoping to make it a success by completing a complex game by myself, however, I stumbled across various issues and glitches that I cannot solve alone. I'm beginning to really need help with this game, not just me alone, but I need help everywhere in the game. Below are the spots needed to make this game happen.

1.) Programmer - (20%)
2.) Programmer - (20%)
3.) Graphic Artist - (20%)
4.) Graphic Artist - (20%)
5.) Tester - Cakeboss (2%)
6.) Tester - HolidayJester (2%)
7.) Tester - Houston557 (2%)
8.) Tester - Megadoctor (2%)
9.) Tester - Spretznaz (2%)
10.) Ideas/Outline - IronMaskedMan
11.) Someone who can host the server - (10%)

---

Programmers (Task)
-Should be able to find and fix game glitches and re-engineer the game in a more efficient way than I did.
-Should kind of know how to make a multi-player online game involving server and a chat. (We are using SmartFox server Free Version)
-Should know how to make the game save in a more efficient way in shared object.

---

Graphic Artists (Task)
-Should be able to touch up the game buttons and graphics.
-Should be able to make good animation.
-Should be able to improve the logos a bit.

---

Tester (Task)
-Tests the game for bugs and glitches and gives a brief update on gameplay.

---

Server Hoster (Task)
-Hosts SmartFox Server Pro (Free Version)

---

Final Release date:
???

Game Link for testing site: http://www.newgrounds.com/projects/games/551327/preview

Response to Football 2012 Game *need Help!* 2012-06-07 19:34:47

I can do buttons and some graphics. Will there be pay?

Response to Football 2012 Game *need Help!* 2012-06-07 20:27:45

At 6/7/12 07:34 PM, BlackMist75 wrote: I can do buttons and some graphics. Will there be pay?

Pay: Yes (via income from game 20% per graphic artist)

Could I see some examples of buttons or possibly draw referees or coaches that will go on the sideline, can you PM me them?

I just want to take a look at your work. So far you are good for the job. ;)

Response to Football 2012 Game *need Help!* 2012-06-08 12:15:27

I added you as an Graphic Artist. You are good to go. :)

Response to Football 2012 Game *need Help!* 2012-06-08 12:20:27

Here is what I need done so far:
- Referees (White and Black striped shirts, black shorts)
- Coaches (Blue and Gold jackets, dark blue pants)
- Football Player (I will give you the fla for the team colors)
- Improved Interface (Buttons, Scoreboard, Widgets)
- Improved Logos (Improve the quality of the logo's, add effects like shade and gradients)

You don't have to do all of that, but hopefully we can get another graphic artist to help out.

Response to Football 2012 Game *need Help!* 2012-06-09 11:34:41

Alright, we NEED people. If I can't find people by June 23rd, I'm canceling this project and giving away the outline file.

Response to Football 2012 Game *need Help!* 2012-06-09 11:39:17

Well...I *may* have some buttons lying around....which do you need? I'm not exactly a "graphic artist" per se but I can make some buttons and UI maybe...

MAYBE

Slint approves of me! | "This is Newgrounds.com, not Disney.com" - WadeFulp

"Sit look rub panda" - Alan Davies

BBS Signature

Response to Football 2012 Game *need Help!* 2012-06-10 09:15:51

At 6/9/12 11:39 AM, Gimmick wrote: Well...I *may* have some buttons lying around....which do you need? I'm not exactly a "graphic artist" per se but I can make some buttons and UI maybe...
MAYBE

Could you send me an example via PM? Thanks for the offer.

I'll credit you with how much you contribute by a certain percentage of the Game's income.

Response to Football 2012 Game *need Help!* 2012-06-11 14:16:42

BUMP!

Response to Football 2012 Game *need Help!* 2012-06-12 05:42:52

As organizer you have to guarantee the developers working on your project that they will get paid, giving a conditional pay depending on the outcome of the game is too insecure, and the reason why this will fail; tell me why I shouldn't work on my own project instead?

Response to Football 2012 Game *need Help!* 2012-06-12 09:49:30

At 6/12/12 05:42 AM, Sandremss128 wrote: As organizer you have to guarantee the developers working on your project that they will get paid, giving a conditional pay depending on the outcome of the game is too insecure, and the reason why this will fail; tell me why I shouldn't work on my own project instead?

I can finish this game, it's that I need help with server-side programming and a better graphics which I cannot provide myself.

Response to Football 2012 Game *need Help!* 2012-06-12 10:33:25

At 6/9/12 11:34 AM, IronMaskedMan wrote: Alright, we NEED people. If I can't find people by June 23rd, I'm canceling this project and giving away the outline file.

You blew it with this post. It gives the image that you are right on the edge and ready to quit as soon as the first misfortune comes along. You are looking for a lot of people, a big team. What if you get that team, and then one person drops out (likelyhood 99%), then you just cancel the project? I don't think people can trust you to carry this through and that's why it's not appealing to join your team.

You can solve pretty much any problem you may have with AS3 by consulting the AS3 Language reference.

Response to Football 2012 Game *need Help!* 2012-06-12 10:53:22

At 6/12/12 09:49 AM, IronMaskedMan wrote: I can finish this game, it's that I need help with server-side programming and a better graphics which I cannot provide myself.

I can host the server and do server-side scripting, but i'll wait until you're all set-up.

Programming stuffs (tutorials and extras)

PM me (instead of MintPaw) if you're confuzzled.

thank Skaren for the sig :P

BBS Signature

Response to Football 2012 Game *need Help!* 2012-06-12 17:53:18

At 6/12/12 10:53 AM, egg82 wrote:
At 6/12/12 09:49 AM, IronMaskedMan wrote: I can finish this game, it's that I need help with server-side programming and a better graphics which I cannot provide myself.
I can host the server and do server-side scripting, but i'll wait until you're all set-up.

You just made my day. Thanks for the offer. Your accepted. :) The game is almost done, so I'll pm you the final file. :)

Response to Football 2012 Game *need Help!* 2012-06-12 17:54:48

At 6/12/12 10:53 AM, egg82 wrote:

You just made my day. Thanks for the offer, you are accepted. :)

Response to Football 2012 Game *need Help!* 2012-06-12 18:29:22

Hey Iron. I setb up the chat, been conferencing with the other testers about modding, and wrote up a list of chat rules. Still working on the game rules, and I'll email y awhat i got. Come to the chat so i caqn make ya a mod.

http://xat.com/Football2012

Response to Football 2012 Game *need Help!* 2012-06-13 11:25:57

At 6/12/12 06:29 PM, cakeboss wrote: Hey Iron. I setb up the chat, been conferencing with the other testers about modding, and wrote up a list of chat rules. Still working on the game rules, and I'll email y awhat i got. Come to the chat so i caqn make ya a mod.

http://xat.com/Football2012

Thanks for posting the chat.

Response to Football 2012 Game *need Help!* 2012-06-13 17:53:28

You are quite welcome

Response to Football 2012 Game *need Help!* 2012-06-14 09:12:29

Now that we got someone who knows about servers, this game is going to succeed.

Response to Football 2012 Game *need Help!* 2012-06-14 22:38:58

true dat

Response to Football 2012 Game *need Help!* 2012-06-14 22:46:06

I don't really know if it's too late for this but here you go, some example ones..
http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/0ccab1c3b633c8175971ddd5 9518bf53

Slint approves of me! | "This is Newgrounds.com, not Disney.com" - WadeFulp

"Sit look rub panda" - Alan Davies

BBS Signature

Response to Football 2012 Game *need Help!* 2012-06-15 10:02:45

At 6/14/12 10:46 PM, Gimmick wrote: I don't really know if it's too late for this but here you go, some example ones..
http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/0ccab1c3b633c8175971ddd5 9518bf53

Those look decent. Thanks for posting.

Response to Football 2012 Game *need Help!* 2012-06-17 08:40:06

BUMP!

Response to Football 2012 Game *need Help!* 2012-06-20 09:06:43

BUMP!

Response to Football 2012 Game *need Help!* 2012-06-20 12:48:06

At 6/7/12 06:58 PM, IronMaskedMan wrote: -Should kind of know how to make a multi-player online game involving server and a chat. (We are using SmartFox server Free Version)

Why do people who have very little to no experience in game development always want to make online-multi-player games?

At 6/14/12 09:12 AM, IronMaskedMan wrote: Now that we got someone who knows about servers, this game is going to succeed.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but this game is not going to succeed, or even be remotely finished.
You're attempting a challenge far outside your abilities. Try something simpler; don't try making anything online.

By the way:
What exactly are you contribting to the project? From your post it seems like you only consider yourself the "idea guy" (which doesn't exist in a real-life-job, by the way).

Response to Football 2012 Game *need Help!* 2012-06-22 18:48:46

At 6/20/12 12:48 PM, Diki wrote:
At 6/7/12 06:58 PM, IronMaskedMan wrote: -Should kind of know how to make a multi-player online game involving server and a chat. (We are using SmartFox server Free Version)
Why do people who have very little to no experience in game development always want to make online-multi-player games?

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but this game is not going to succeed, or even be remotely finished.
You're attempting a challenge far outside your abilities. Try something simpler; don't try making anything online.

By the way:
What exactly are you contribting to the project? From your post it seems like you only consider yourself the "idea guy" (which doesn't exist in a real-life-job, by the way).

Your right because I don't have all the time in the world. If someone would take over and I would give them the "incomplete" game to finish.

Response to Football 2012 Game *need Help!* 2012-06-22 19:15:23

At 6/20/12 12:48 PM, Diki wrote:

It seems that multiplayer may now be the way to go. We will see, I suppose.

At 6/14/12 09:12 AM, IronMaskedMan wrote: Now that we got someone who knows about servers, this game is going to succeed.

By the way:

Honestly, I don't care too terribly much. I'll do what I promised within a reasonable time. Other than that, the project's theirs. I don't expect too much from anything :P

BBS Signature

Response to Football 2012 Game *need Help!* 2012-06-23 00:43:11

At 6/22/12 06:48 PM, IronMaskedMan wrote: Your right because I don't have all the time in the world.

No, this game would never be finished regardless of how much spare time you have.
It's not going to be finished because you don't know what you're doing and are giving off the attitude that you are too lazy to do remedy that.

If you believe that I am wrong then please answer my question: What are you contributing to the project?
And I think this is a relevant follow-up, given that you're attempting a multiplayer game: What experience do you have developing games?

At 6/22/12 07:15 PM, egg82 wrote: It seems that multiplayer may now be the way to go. We will see, I suppose.

Sure, multiplayer is a big thing nowadays, and I like it as much as the next guy, but it's inarguably orders of magnitude more difficult than making a singleplayer game.
It baffles me how little these supposed "programmers" and "game developers" actually research the topic that they've become interested in. It's almost as if they see a game made by someone else and think that thinking up the idea for the game is half of the work, and then have the audacity to attempt making said game multiplayer.
It's pretty insulting to anyone who has actually worked on games before; it makes a complete mockery of how much skill and work developing games actually requires.

At 6/22/12 07:15 PM, egg82 wrote: Honestly, I don't care too terribly much. I'll do what I promised within a reasonable time. Other than that, the project's theirs. I don't expect too much from anything

To each their own.
Personally I wouldn't want to spend my time creating a work for someone to only have them not give me credit, or to have the work never finished and said time be completely wasted.

Also, this is completely anecdotal, but in my experience when a "project leader" is only contributing ideas then it shows that they're incompetent and that they project is doomed to fail.
When was the last successful project you heard of being lead by an "idea guy"?

Case in point: Microsoft, Nintendo, Sony, Bethesda, Ubisoft, Obsidian Entertainment, Capcom, et al, are sure as shit not run, nor founded, by idea guys.

Response to Football 2012 Game *need Help!* 2012-06-23 01:03:39

At 6/23/12 12:43 AM, Diki wrote: Sure, multiplayer is a big thing nowadays, and I like it as much as the next guy, but it's inarguably orders of magnitude more difficult than making a singleplayer game.
It baffles me how little these supposed "programmers" and "game developers" actually research the topic that they've become interested in. It's almost as if they see a game made by someone else and think that thinking up the idea for the game is half of the work, and then have the audacity to attempt making said game multiplayer.
It's pretty insulting to anyone who has actually worked on games before; it makes a complete mockery of how much skill and work developing games actually requires.

well, honestly, it doesn't take much to make a game "multiplayer" - it takes a lot to make it a game that everyone will actually enjoy. This is the problem i've been facing with Tactics (that and the whole spell/battle system. In all seriousness, that really is a pain in the arse)

To each their own.
Personally I wouldn't want to spend my time creating a work for someone to only have them not give me credit, or to have the work never finished and said time be completely wasted.

Also, this is completely anecdotal, but in my experience when a "project leader" is only contributing ideas then it shows that they're incompetent and that they project is doomed to fail.
When was the last successful project you heard of being lead by an "idea guy"?

Well, I don't really have my schedule so full that I can't spend an hour or two on a simple PHP script. In fact, I don't really even have a schedule, my schedule's so empty.

Personally, I don't like to lead. I will if nobody else seems capable, but really I like having as much time and brainpower as possible to myself. Leave all the thinking and worrying to those who chose to take the mantle.

Anyway: i'd have to agree with the whole "idea guy leader" thing. The idea guys can be idea guys, but not leaders.

BBS Signature

Response to Football 2012 Game *need Help!* 2012-06-23 18:08:16

I'm sorry to all who have had a major interest in this project. I am resigning. Thanks to all who tried to dedicate something to the project. You can download the fla here:

Football 2012 - Incomplete File