00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

MiyuTheSceneGirl just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Unity Game Musician Wanted!!

2,147 Views | 22 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Unity Game Musician Wanted!! 2012-06-04 02:53:30

Hello, I am the project lead of a Unity based indie game called The Cyberdin Project. I have often found myself very impressed with the music created by the NG community, and decided to look here for talent first. Right now I am looking for someone who has a talent for digitally created music. I like to have music based on mood more than anything, so if you are the kind of person who really feels music then you are the person I am looking for.

The game is dark and heavy, and is based on war and intense combat. There will be a fair range of moods depicted throughout the deep and detailed story, and it will be meant for a more mature audience. If you are interested and would like to know more, please send me a private message. Also, each song you create will be added to our budget plan, and if the game is successful, you will be paid for each song as soon as the funds become available.

I look forward to hearing from this wonderfully talented community.

Response to Unity Game Musician Wanted!! 2012-06-04 03:09:37

Also, a little bit about the team, and the project.

I am a full time student at The university of Advancing Technology, and the rest of the team also either attend UAT, or other colleges here in the US.

The game is aimed to revive the lifeless Tower Defense genre, while putting the M back into Mature ratings. We have begun developing some of the code for the project, and have written many of the design and story line aspects and are gearing up to begin producing 3D assets within the next month or two. Now is the time to begin searching for a talented musician, as we are also preparing a promotional cinematic.

We meet up online once a week at least, then as needed after that. We use multiple collaboration tools and are almost done developing the website for use by the public.

We will be needing someone who will be dedicated to quality, and can work with a team and handle a large variety of ideas. This would make an excellent portfolio piece, as well as help get into the industry. Again, if you are interested please send me a message and we can talk further.

Response to Unity Game Musician Wanted!! 2012-06-04 04:04:40

PM Sent.

Response to Unity Game Musician Wanted!! 2012-06-04 05:08:43

PM'd aswell.

Standing by

: What? No I won't level up, I like my watergun.

Response to Unity Game Musician Wanted!! 2012-06-04 12:04:29

PM sent

Response to Unity Game Musician Wanted!! 2012-06-04 12:19:23

PM also sent.

Response to Unity Game Musician Wanted!! 2012-06-04 13:26:28

PM sent.

Response to Unity Game Musician Wanted!! 2012-06-04 20:47:00

Pm sent.

Response to Unity Game Musician Wanted!! 2012-06-04 20:59:50

newgrounds notifies when you receive new PMs, please refrain from bumping this thread if you have nothing to say.

Response to Unity Game Musician Wanted!! 2012-06-05 00:07:45

At 6/4/12 08:59 PM, jarrydn wrote: newgrounds notifies when you receive new PMs, please refrain from bumping this thread if you have nothing to say.

This posting of "PM Sent" business has been going on for at leasta year without intervention. It's somewhat ritualistic. Clients want to discuss terms of their project in private and thats okay, but a good lot of us enjoy knowing who the competition is anyway. Consider it an update. Not to mention media interactions are a primary goal for the AP, so even if you do just consider it a bump, its at least a bump of an important thread.

Response to Unity Game Musician Wanted!! 2012-06-05 04:23:53

It's amazing how many people are rushing in without really knowing anything about the project lol.

While i'm sure it'd make a great portfolio piece, some questions that should be asked.

- Are there any screen shots or concept art to share?
- What happens to the game post launch?
- Is it a rev share thing you intend to do?
- Is it even a commercial thing or some kind of student project for the lewls?
- Do you want the music exclusive to the project or are you okay with it being non exclusive?
- Scope of the project. Is this a long terms (1+ years) thing, or a fairly small target?

More that come to mind but can't be asked without knowing about the above points. That said, good luck to all those who pm'ed 'n stuff! Lots of talented folk here.

Response to Unity Game Musician Wanted!! 2012-06-05 04:25:43

just to be the devil's advocate, half the time i don't notice the (1) anyway :V

although personally, i would avoid publicly announcing that you sent a private message.

p.s. i am gay

Response to Unity Game Musician Wanted!! 2012-06-05 05:05:53

At 6/5/12 04:23 AM, MaestroRage wrote: It's amazing how many people are rushing in without really knowing anything about the project lol.

If by rushing in you mean starting up a conversation outside of the thread to talk about those kind of details, then yes we are!

At 6/5/12 04:25 AM, midimachine wrote: although personally, i would avoid publicly announcing that you sent a private message.

In general yes. Its just habit with these types of threads =P

Response to Unity Game Musician Wanted!! 2012-06-05 06:19:37

At 6/5/12 04:23 AM, MaestroRage wrote: It's amazing how many people are rushing in without really knowing anything about the project lol.

You don't really know what people put in the content of their messages, though: I always invite the potential client to further discuss the project if they like the demos I send. Frequently, there's some level of negotiation: I think it's important for a composer to get paid and protect his rights as much as possible, but I also think that aspiring filmmakers and game developers deserve a good soundtrack, whether it's music from the Audio Portal, licensed from a composer, or custom-made.

Response to Unity Game Musician Wanted!! 2012-06-05 11:00:54

Can't be picky when still just aspiring to be a pro.

: What? No I won't level up, I like my watergun.

Response to Unity Game Musician Wanted!! 2012-06-05 12:48:40

At 6/5/12 11:00 AM, NikeTheSword wrote:
Can't be picky when still just aspiring to be a pro.

there's absolutely nothing wrong with doing pro-bono work or doing portfolio pieces yada yada to get a solid portfolio (despite what many professionals would claim), nor am I saying it's bad to get a dialogue with the OP going, but this is also a post for the OP in the future. While it's good to start a conversation outside the thread these are things that should be mentioned in the post.

Response to Unity Game Musician Wanted!! 2012-06-05 13:10:14

At 6/5/12 12:48 PM, MaestroRage wrote: While it's good to start a conversation outside the thread these are things that should be mentioned in the post.

I see where you're coming from, but I disagree. If you have a handful of people who go to the effort of contacting the OP with the desire to open further discussion, I think that suggests that they have much more genuine interest in the job than if you have a lot of detail (and a mention of cash) and get a dozen or so people posting demos.

Response to Unity Game Musician Wanted!! 2012-06-05 13:43:15

If you really need Unity3D programmer then I also can be one or provide one for you. I'm an OpenGL/Unity3D/WebGL programmer myself too.

I compose music and also packed music with MOD, XM, IT, MO3 or any common type of videogame audio file or module file.

I'll send you a PM then :)

Response to Unity Game Musician Wanted!! 2012-06-05 15:16:34

At 6/5/12 01:10 PM, RampantMusik wrote:
At 6/5/12 12:48 PM, MaestroRage wrote: While it's good to start a conversation outside the thread these are things that should be mentioned in the post.
I see where you're coming from, but I disagree. If you have a handful of people who go to the effort of contacting the OP with the desire to open further discussion, I think that suggests that they have much more genuine interest in the job than if you have a lot of detail (and a mention of cash) and get a dozen or so people posting demos.

valid argument. Both sides of the coin could be true. For me personally a post that is detailed indicates organization and well planned execution. Over the years one of the red flags i've grown internally is lack of proper planning. The second I see a bunch of gray zone I feel discouraged to go further, because 95% of the time the game either fails or is simply sub par at best.

You don't have to mention how much cash, but it should be clear what kind of payment system this is. Rev share, or flat payment? Both have heavy implications. Rev share plans usually means the producer is going to be doing lots of work, taking more risk. But I don't have to tell this to anybody we all know this. Additionally rev share based plans also carry the possibility of the music being exclusive to the project (which is also important so the producer can mentally prepare themselves to how much risk/rev share they want to warrant the effort).

It's not about enthusiasm. Every producer worth their salt will put in 100% into any project they sign up for. It's simply business and a sense of clarity.

Anyway, I don't want to derail the topic, if you guys want to discuss this with me further we should do so over pm. My 2 cents given, good luck to you all :3!

Response to Unity Game Musician Wanted!! 2012-06-05 15:17:30

At 6/4/12 08:59 PM, jarrydn wrote: newgrounds notifies when you receive new PMs, please refrain from bumping this thread if you have nothing to say.

PM SENT :)

Response to Unity Game Musician Wanted!! 2012-06-08 10:20:24

At 6/4/12 02:53 AM, elitegoliath wrote: Hello, I am the project lead of a Unity based indie game called The Cyberdin Project. I have often found myself very impressed with the music created by the NG community, and decided to look here for talent first. Right now I am looking for someone who has a talent for digitally created music. I like to have music based on mood more than anything, so if you are the kind of person who really feels music then you are the person I am looking for.

The game is dark and heavy, and is based on war and intense combat. There will be a fair range of moods depicted throughout the deep and detailed story, and it will be meant for a more mature audience. If you are interested and would like to know more, please send me a private message. Also, each song you create will be added to our budget plan, and if the game is successful, you will be paid for each song as soon as the funds become available.

I look forward to hearing from this wonderfully talented community.

Hi. I would love to be involved with your project and believe I could do a great job for you. I regularly compose in a digital format and can work well to tight deadlines. I often play live music too in a band so I am great with focusing on the feel and empathy towards the right sort of mood and atmosphere like you mention. I feel my natural style of writing can be quite serious and somber, so I think I will be suitable in this sense too.

Here is a link to my showreel:

Showreel

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you,

Joe Watkinson

Response to Unity Game Musician Wanted!! 2012-06-24 11:15:42

www.youtube.com/AriesT1
Maybe this guy is good for your games? Makes some good vg remixes and cool own stuff. Just a suggestion.

Response to Unity Game Musician Wanted!! 2012-06-24 12:10:54

At 6/5/12 03:16 PM, MaestroRage wrote:
valid argument. Both sides of the coin could be true. For me personally a post that is detailed indicates organization and well planned execution. Over the years one of the red flags i've grown internally is lack of proper planning. The second I see a bunch of gray zone I feel discouraged to go further, because 95% of the time the game either fails or is simply sub par at best.

You don't have to mention how much cash, but it should be clear what kind of payment system this is. Rev share, or flat payment? Both have heavy implications. Rev share plans usually means the producer is going to be doing lots of work, taking more risk. But I don't have to tell this to anybody we all know this. Additionally rev share based plans also carry the possibility of the music being exclusive to the project (which is also important so the producer can mentally prepare themselves to how much risk/rev share they want to warrant the effort).

It's not about enthusiasm. Every producer worth their salt will put in 100% into any project they sign up for. It's simply business and a sense of clarity.

Anyway, I don't want to derail the topic, if you guys want to discuss this with me further we should do so over pm. My 2 cents given, good luck to you all :3!

Not to fly off topic with you, Rage...but

We all understand that we upload our stuff here, and ANY flashmaker that submits their flash on newgrounds may use it, without issues. As long as no money is made from it etc... That is the whole point.

You definitely have the experience in off site work. I think it would be awesome and helpful of you to actually start a topic regarding working with external entities. Help protect young artists with the complexities of things they could face, if recruited off site, for work. If you had the time. :)

BBS Signature