00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

NegaSimon just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

who still plays in a band?

3,853 Views | 43 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

who still plays in a band? 2012-05-07 04:31:11

i mean really? it seems like all the music here is made on the laptop now a days. is that wrong to say? i like real bands

Response to who still plays in a band? 2012-05-07 04:46:26

Because people like me have a hard time finding other dedicated musicians in the area to make music with. I had been trying to get a band together for around 5 years, when I finally decided, "Fuck it, I'll do it on my own."

People are unreliable and lazy pricks. It's easier to just do things solo. Granted I don't write all electronic stuff (As what I'm assuming you're complaining about).

But a ton of people choose to go for electronic music because it's convenient... Literally, buy a DAW... Good To Go! Not everyone is gonna go out and buy a physical instrument when it's generally cheaper, and more convenient to just download a program and make music.

Regardless, there are plenty of musicians here that write stuff other than electronic music... you're just not looking hard enough.

Audio/BBS Mod

News: Bye bye Skype - Music: Tonight Will Be The Night- Art: Kira

\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature

Response to who still plays in a band? 2012-05-07 04:57:51

i was just saying, i have no prob with it, its just a lot of music today. plus its one thing if you can play but cant find the pricks to play with, it another if you loop a beat and call yourself a musician. that being said who is in a band out there?

Response to who still plays in a band? 2012-05-07 06:39:26

I'm drummer in a band, but we don't record anything. We also don't make our own songs, only covers. We like to jam a lot, though.

[Hidden Audio Gems]

SoundCloud || YouTube || Facebook

PM me for constructive reviews, collaborations or commissions!

BBS Signature

Response to who still plays in a band? 2012-05-07 06:52:31

I just got bored of playing my keyboard for a mere 20 seconds on a 3 minute song, "Thanks guys!"
Besides, DAW is only about music on the musicians end while bands are also about performing and entertaining.
Takes alot more to get a successful band going, but it doesn't mean that it's easy to just loop a beat and actually make it interesting and enjoyable to listen.

ITT: Electronic versus traditional.

: What? No I won't level up, I like my watergun.

Response to who still plays in a band? 2012-05-07 07:46:28

At 5/7/12 04:46 AM, Back-From-Purgatory wrote:
People are unreliable and lazy pricks. It's easier to just do things solo.

But a ton of people choose to go for electronic music because it's convenient... Literally, buy a DAW... Good To Go! Not everyone is gonna go out and buy a physical instrument when it's generally cheaper, and more convenient to just download a program and make music.

Regardless, there are plenty of musicians here that write stuff other than electronic music... you're just not looking hard enough.

Basically this.

I've always wanted to just make my own music, so I started by learning how to play guitar. Once I got good enough, people started to ask me to play in their bands... I joined a few bands and all of them just wanted to be crappy cover bands and cover metal or pop punk songs... and perform them horribly.

If I even pitched the idea of writing our own stuff we'd take like a day agreeing on a chord progression, the vocalist would have a line of cheesy lyrics, then if we tried to play it and it would sound awful. on top of that people never showed up to practice or if they did they'd just sit and play video games the whole time.

eventually I got access to a DAW and suddenly I was making music.

It's just a matter of finding people who can play an instrument, dedicated enough to stay and show up to practice, open minded to other music ideas and live close by...

Being a slim chance of those people existing, I'll just stick with my daw.

Response to who still plays in a band? 2012-05-07 08:28:06

At 5/7/12 04:57 AM, megajaws420 wrote: its one thing if you can play but cant find the pricks to play with, it another if you loop a beat and call yourself a musician.

i hope you don't listen to post-rock or you're going to have some egg on your face, son.

p.s. i am gay

Response to who still plays in a band? 2012-05-07 08:34:08

I'm a drummer in a band.
But the reason you're seeing so much electronic music here, is because it's so much easier to do.
You don't have to buy instruments, recording equipment and you don't have to practice a lot to make a generic house song.
It's a couple of clicks away, unlike creating a band which requires more effort to start.

BBS Signature

Response to who still plays in a band? 2012-05-07 08:35:27

The one reason why I stick with my DAW is because I still can't afford an instrument of my own. I have drumsticks (yes, I play drums; I'm also a pianist and organist), but that's pretty much it.

My bandmates do have instruments of their own, but together, it's just not sufficient to make full songs. Maybe except the guitar.

Response to who still plays in a band? 2012-05-07 10:40:14

At 5/7/12 04:57 AM, megajaws420 wrote: i was just saying, i have no prob with it, its just a lot of music today. plus its one thing if you can play but cant find the pricks to play with, it another if you loop a beat and call yourself a musician. that being said who is in a band out there?

I'm the guitarist/shamisen player and lead composer for a band. I'm actually in the middle of recording an album for the band. But I can ssooooo relate on the others be a lazy prick. My band is okay about working but I've been invited to soo many other bands around town for just about any role you can have in a band and then I'm the only one who will do anything even when I wasn't really interested in the first place. So at this point, I generally tell people to fuck off in the most polite way possible.

Response to who still plays in a band? 2012-05-07 11:33:20

i agree with all of you, i have been playing music now for 11 years, all the bands i have been in over the years is crazy, its hard to find people or the money to do it.
im not saying that its not music, i like it and i know it takes skills to do but i wish more people would at least take the time to learn how to play the real thing before going this way.
thank you all for your input, its nice to know that there is people still out there who care for music so much that you put in my place

Response to who still plays in a band? 2012-05-07 12:56:51

At 5/7/12 10:40 AM, Trampzy wrote:
I'm the guitarist/shamisen player and lead composer for a band.

Funny enough, I used to be the bassist/sanshin player and lead composer for a band years ago, haha. What's your band? Perhaps I'll give it a listen.

I play quite a few instruments and I've been in a few bands, but everyone always expected me to lead and do fucking everything for them. No matter how many times I tried to tell people that I'm a follower, not a leader- they wouldn't change at all. So, I went solo and I've been searching for a like minded band ever since.

I've tried my hand at internet bands, that's a nice alley to go down, but it's more difficult since you can't just jam out and be a regular old band.

Response to who still plays in a band? 2012-05-07 14:54:03

One thing I've noticed about a lot of posts on this thread is that they tell me one thing in common. Guess it doesn't really apply to bands alone; it could go just about anywhere.

People could sing whatever they wanted, whatever message they wanted to spread. The posters here seem to want to do something extraordinary with the band, but the band... isn't that intrested in packaging the song right. A bad book, even about a good subject, is still going to be a bad book.

So it turns us off, and we resort to making music on our own (or with like-minded people) while setting our own standards.

The OP tells me of something I'm also fed up of listening to: people who just sloppily slap beats on synths and call it music. That's low quality DAW work. However, the same low quality can happen with bands. I've heard it too often; I've been in a band before and I am in one now, and I do sometimes take the opportunity to listen to bands around me -- to see what they lack, or what they do well, and I learn from that.

So bands and people who work with DAWs fall on either side of the spectrum, really. At the end of the day...... there are good musicians, there are bad musicians, there are those who are happy with mediocrity, and there are those who constantly push themselves to be better. And that is all!

Response to who still plays in a band? 2012-05-07 16:19:22

At 5/7/12 12:56 PM, Rahmemhotep wrote:
At 5/7/12 10:40 AM, Trampzy wrote:
I'm the guitarist/shamisen player and lead composer for a band.
Funny enough, I used to be the bassist/sanshin player and lead composer for a band years ago, haha. What's your band? Perhaps I'll give it a listen.

I play quite a few instruments and I've been in a few bands, but everyone always expected me to lead and do fucking everything for them. No matter how many times I tried to tell people that I'm a follower, not a leader- they wouldn't change at all. So, I went solo and I've been searching for a like minded band ever since.

oh shit really? That's weird, haha. My band is Hypocricide. You probably won't find anything on the internet until about late June or July though. We do a variety of music, it's fun.

I know what you mean, people just sit around and have you do all the fucking work, than once you actually play with them, they just take it right up and pretend it's theirs! But now people won't join a band with me because "I'm too into it" .....really? My current band is okay though. I could be doing better. But that'll probably be in the distant future.

At 5/7/12 02:54 PM, TroisNyxEtienne wrote: ......

Too true. I know a band, that is power chord supreme. They just have 3 power chords in each song and then yell/whine over the track and call it a song. Than they briefly started a dubstep side project. It took them about 20 minutes to finish a song.. if you can call it that.

Response to who still plays in a band? 2012-05-07 22:10:11

At 5/7/12 04:31 AM, megajaws420 wrote: i mean really? it seems like all the music here is made on the laptop now a days. is that wrong to say? i like real bands

We're a band. While making music on a laptop is more convient and you do have a wider range of possibilities at your finger tips, making music the original way has its own benefits...and for me involves a lot more passion and fun. Unfortunately, its more expensive and time consuming for us to make record songs for games or flash movies but we have gotten a few placements.

If you look around there are tons of local bands and some of them are great and really need support. I've played with Dozens of amazing, innovative and original bands. (and a lot of bad ones too).

s

Response to who still plays in a band? 2012-05-07 22:22:05

i truly believe that the feeling of playing music in a band in front of people is the best thing i have ever felt. its too bad i cant find that in making music on the computer. i'm like a druggie with it, i need my fix........

Response to who still plays in a band? 2012-05-08 00:14:10

At 5/7/12 10:22 PM, megajaws420 wrote: i truly believe that the feeling of playing music in a band in front of people is the best thing i have ever felt. its too bad i cant find that in making music on the computer. i'm like a druggie with it, i need my fix........

This times a million.

Although I mostly just make music on my computer now, the feeling of performing in front of a crowd is AMAZING. Of course, like everyone is saying, it's tough to find people with the focus necessary to form a performing band. Hence the reason I'm attempting to learn how to DJ/perform my music live.

--NG Music -- Soundcloud--

Most Recent Song: Explore Infinity <-Failed audition to NGADM!

Response to who still plays in a band? 2012-05-08 16:12:39

Although I mostly just make music on my computer now, the feeling of performing in front of a crowd is AMAZING. Of course, like everyone is saying, it's tough to find people with the focus necessary to form a performing band. Hence the reason I'm attempting to learn how to DJ/perform my music live.

i never thought of that, DJs work all over the place, thats a good idea

Response to who still plays in a band? 2012-05-08 16:18:11

At 5/7/12 04:46 AM, Back-From-Purgatory wrote: Because people like me have a hard time finding other dedicated musicians in the area to make music with. I had been trying to get a band together for around 5 years, when I finally decided, "Fuck it, I'll do it on my own."

People are unreliable and lazy pricks. It's easier to just do things solo. Granted I don't write all electronic stuff (As what I'm assuming you're complaining about).

Mainly this. It's just that electric music here is more easy to make and more popular. There is a lot of other generes here that thrive, like Hip Hop and Rock, but their the tip of the iceberg.

Response to who still plays in a band? 2012-05-09 01:29:23

I've been playing guitar for 10 years, trying to find a band the entire time. It wasn't until within the last few months that I just decided "Fuck it, this is my hobby."

I have no intentions on being in a band anymore, or becoming a DJ though I've been told countless times that I should pursue it. The problem is, I have pursued it and I've run into the same issue that everyone else here has; People are dicks.

Well.. That and I can't find anyone local that's anywhere near my skill level, with similar musical interests. (God I sound arrogant..)

BBS Signature

Response to who still plays in a band? 2012-05-09 01:40:40

At 5/8/12 04:18 PM, BirdyBells wrote: It's just that electric music here is more easy to make

How exactly is rock - or hip-hop - or anything - harder to make?

: What? No I won't level up, I like my watergun.

Response to who still plays in a band? 2012-05-09 05:18:47

At 5/7/12 04:38 PM, LaForge wrote: refer to BFP's response: it's hard to find reliable, dedicated, like-minded musicians, especially when you're an antisocial nutcase like me.

But LaForge, rock is based on the concept of anti-social, misfit adolescents playing music with people they don't like very much because, hey, who else is there?

Rural Ireland leaves even less scope then many people here - I had 3 freinds who were decent musicians and we all made various bands with various goals and drafted whoever we could to fill the gaps. As much as that sucked, I'd do anything to be back in that position. Making music by and for yourself is probably the loneliest experience after masturbation.

Which is why I've a freind who lives a 30 minute or so cycle from me and I'm gonna try and do some music with her once the academic year is over. And then when we've some practice done we'll find some poor soul and draft us a drummer and a bass player and hope it works out!

Response to who still plays in a band? 2012-05-09 12:55:35

At 5/7/12 04:31 AM, megajaws420 wrote: i mean really? it seems like all the music here is made on the laptop now a days. is that wrong to say? i like real bands

Well this account is me and my brother, and we both play real instruments and are starting to get to an age where people just aren't looking for bandmates. We also grew up on stuff like Aphex Twin and liked Radiohead's experimental stuff, and now we love things like Ulrich Schnauss and Boards of Canada almost more than "real" band music. They're one in the same, good songwriting is good songwriting. We often play live guitar and bass in our songs, and follow your normal song structures. However, having your own little personal studio gives you room to experiment, and when your band is two people it is much easier to agree on ideas. We also like the reverby, almost trippy atmosphere we can achieve with electronic music. Now you've gotta understand that mixing this stuff is not easy in the least, it takes talent to produce.

It does seem like that every year there is a shift on Newgrounds. A couple years back it was constant annoying generic techno rave music, now it's dubsteb. What we're doing probably will never be popular on here, but I can understand why you'd be frustrated with so many generic, similar sounding artists on here.

Response to who still plays in a band? 2012-05-09 17:38:06

Being that I'm primarily into classical/jazz/film-scores, being in a band didn't appeal to me for the longest time (unless it was a jazz combo, but I don't think my keyboard skills are good enough yet). A friend finally convinced me though and I now play keys for a rock/blues band. We mostly play covers of music by Government Mule (tough material...) but also do an occasional classic by Led Zeppelin, the Doors, etc.

I didn't grow up around much rock music, but this experience has expanded my musical palette. It's been fun so far and we're recording this week.

Response to who still plays in a band? 2012-05-09 17:57:57

I have several reasons for not being in a band atm:
1. I can't find anyone who isn't either far below or far above me in experience and skill. Actually I have trouble finding ANYONE with similar musical ideas and philosophy as I.
2. It is a FUCK TON easier and faster to make great songs on a computer by myself than with other people because I only have to explain my ideas to myself.
3. I always end up taking as much control as I can in projects that I care a lot about, be it about music or school work or whatever, because I tend to have a clear idea of what the best possible outcome will be. This is of course both a good thing and an obvious character flaw, but anyway: by myself, I don't have to compromise and I can make something that is as close to my original vision as possible.

Response to who still plays in a band? 2012-05-09 18:01:02

I really like playing in a band.

Writing music with other people? Forget about it!

p.s. i am gay

Response to who still plays in a band? 2012-05-09 18:46:41

i never thought this would have so many people talking, this is good, this is what music is all about. but i still would not trade playing with people for anything, well maybe if i could become batman then i would

Response to who still plays in a band? 2012-05-09 18:49:56

At 5/9/12 06:46 PM, megajaws420 wrote: but i still would not trade playing with people for anything, well maybe if i could become batman then i would

yeah but who wouldn't.

Response to who still plays in a band? 2012-05-09 19:18:03

yeah but who wouldn't.

ok, your right, everyone want to be batman

Response to who still plays in a band? 2012-05-09 19:21:46

I'm been playing in a band for the last nine months and it can be pretty fun at times, otherwise, it just ends up with us playing lousy covers of songs. They initially brought me in as a keyboardist, but then I moved towards bass guitar since they needed one. I don't really contribute much in terms of composition, I focus more on keeping my basslines from sounding stale, since reggae music needs that right amount of bottom end to sound tight.