00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

BunnyMaul just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

How Do You Find Obscure Music?

5,477 Views | 15 Replies

How Do You Find Obscure Music? 2012-03-08 16:48:37


I've gotten increasingly curious about how people find non-mainstream music, especially since I think the, er, quality of most songs that have reached commercial success are somewhat... Lacking in quality? I've noticed a lot of the bands I listen to I found by crazy coincidences, which is a real shame. This makes me curious about how other people find new bands, so list off some somewhat obscure bands and share how you found out about them. I'll start:

The Contortionist - Had a song on a free sample album
Metsatoll - Recommended to me by a guy on Omegle
Illidiance - Recommended from a YouTube comment
Planet X - Someone on the Newgrounds BBS linked to Poland
Kevin MacLeod - Heard one of his pieces in Straw Hat Samurai
Atheist - Heard someone with 250 subscribers reference them in a YouTube Poop, go figure
Voltaire - His song was featured in the game Deady
Lightning Swords of Death - Their album was featured in Undead Knights
Misanthrope - Was searching random shit on playlist.com
Moonspell - They were touring with Dimmu Borgir at one point
Nero's Day at Disneyland - Featured in PewDiePie's videos


If I offer to help you in a post, PM me to get it. I often forget to revisit threads.

Want 180+ free PSP games? Try these links! - Flash - Homebrew (OFW)

…

Response to How Do You Find Obscure Music? 2012-03-08 16:54:21


I browse through iTunes and find "related stuff" for the albums I look at. Obviously if I don't recognise a name from the telly, or radio, or whatever the hell, then it's not mainstream. Underground metullz for me.


This is my signature. It is a nice signature.

BBS Signature
…

Response to How Do You Find Obscure Music? 2012-03-08 16:54:51


Buy yourself a copy of Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories (and a Playstation 2) and listen to Radio Delmundo in a taxi cab.


<Profile pic by larryvangary.<

BBS Signature
…

Response to How Do You Find Obscure Music? 2012-03-08 17:13:35



http://soundcloud.com/rizy-2

Have a listen, please rate, comment because any feedback is greatly appreciated.

BBS Signature
…

Response to How Do You Find Obscure Music? 2012-03-08 17:23:45



G O D - B L E S S - A F R I C A

LAST.FM

CROWNED CHAMPION OF "FAPITUDE" BY BEARDKILLER

BBS Signature
…

Response to How Do You Find Obscure Music? 2012-03-08 17:27:25


Bandcamp is a great place to find new artists. I also frequent /mu/, and that leads to finding some under-appreciated music.

…

Response to How Do You Find Obscure Music? 2012-03-08 17:39:55


- Related Youtube videos
- in comments or recomendations of people


Metal Hell

The cold wind and the snow of this night, whips my heart of pure ice

My cold blood is running through my veins, but my soul burns like an everlasting flame

BBS Signature
…

Response to How Do You Find Obscure Music? 2012-03-08 17:46:57


/mu/ is a great board for finding new (and a lot of the times obscure) music. Last.fm is also a good tool but it will likely recommend you more popular artists.

…

Response to How Do You Find Obscure Music? 2012-03-08 17:47:23


yurgenburgen


Pretend not to care about anything, but be bothered by everything.

You may be fast on the roads but it's no use on the track.

ScaryPicnic made me do it.My letterboxd.

BBS Signature
…

Response to How Do You Find Obscure Music? 2012-03-08 17:53:17


In the midst of summer wearing my scarf, flannel shirt, tight jeans, fedora, and fake glasses I head to the closest music festival. Of course all the music there is lame and mainstream so I have to literally go underground to find it. Armed with an old shovel because there's something about the rust that makes it so much better than a new one I dig a whole in a totally non conformist way (I use the handle). Soon I've broken ground into the totally underground not lame hipster music fest. Once there I talk about how the majority of the bands here have sold out and buy anything made of vinyl. That's how I find obscure music


BBS Signature
…

Response to How Do You Find Obscure Music? 2012-03-08 17:54:14


At 55 minutes ago, ScaryPicnic wrote: Last.fm

Related Youtube videos

/mu/

Sometimes from other Newgrounds users in MuMu player or general sharethreads

This, but minus /mu/

…

Response to How Do You Find Obscure Music? 2012-03-08 17:56:18


Related YouTube videos do help but sometimes I do research on the band and if they happen to have related bands or have covered a song I've never heard of, I will look into those bands. For example, Slough Feg have some band members in Hammers of Misfortune and they have also covered songs by Legend (USA) and Manilla Road. All great discoveries for sure.

…

Response to How Do You Find Obscure Music? 2012-03-08 18:03:20


I've found REALLY obscure music by typing random characters into Youtube's seach bar. Like 'awlk owei'. I usually get a few foreign songs.


BBS Signature
…

Response to How Do You Find Obscure Music? 2012-03-08 18:04:31


I found Mew on Newgrounds through a brilliant flash movie done by the genius flash animator Foxcato.

I also found the band Apparatjik through the same flash author.


Let us wallow in the filth of the void clinging to one another.

Formerly Schizo-sephy.

…

Response to How Do You Find Obscure Music? 2012-03-08 18:07:52


by following labels

…

Response to How Do You Find Obscure Music? 2012-03-08 18:13:48


The absolute best way is to talk to people and get them to talk music with you, that's how I've accumulated the majority of my music collection. Talk to people who know their music and recommend and share different shit with each other, as a general rule I think people who DJ or play instruments are usually more clued up on their music than people who don't, but that isn't always the case. Besides that, last.fm, forums and magazines like NME and the like are a good place to find new bands..


BBS Signature
…