00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Someone gifted Speedo supporter status!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Mac12 - Jan/feb Discussion

12,717 Views | 142 Replies

Response to Mac12 - Jan/feb Discussion 2012-02-16 23:08:35

At 5 hours ago, samulis wrote:
At 10 hours ago, JPRixdorfer wrote: Holy sheet - 70 ?!

Whoever makes it to the final 8 can be very proud of what he / her accomplished!
Totally... The judges are determining the top 8 classical-Orchestral artists in all of Newgrounds at this time.

Under pressure! Pushing down on me!
Thank goodness I am not judging!

Since I've listened to some of your stuff I've been wondering why you're not in this competition! A contest like this one needs people like you, doesn't it? Or am I blind, and are you participating? I just hope so.

I'm really curious who's going to win this contest. Of course I hope the judges will at least like my piece, but there are so many good pieces, which is way more important than winning. It's really a big surprise to me that there are so many talented composers, although I think there are some pieces that aren't really special or original, too, but that's only because composing orchestral pieces is a huge responsibility. I'm new here, so for me this is a great opportunity to find some REALLY talented people. Some might not even know how talented they really are. Hooray for all of us!

Response to Mac12 - Jan/feb Discussion 2012-02-17 02:46:49

Hey BrokenDeck, PM me when you want me to send out PM's to the contestants to announce anything.

And oh man. Two days left. I'm really hoping I'll get into the Top 8, but if I don't make it in which will probably be the case, at least this contest forced me to make one of the best (and most popular) songs I've made to date. It got so many reviews, listens and favourites in just a week, which is in itself a great reward.

Anyway, good luck to everyone.

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature

Response to Mac12 - Jan/feb Discussion 2012-02-17 05:00:18

At 5 hours ago, Pointrick wrote:
Since I've listened to some of your stuff I've been wondering why you're not in this competition! A contest like this one needs people like you, doesn't it? Or am I blind, and are you participating? I just hope so.

Oh, Samulis entered! Too lazy to post it here, but I think it was on page one, of the earlier submissions. No problem though, I guess - after all there are f@}ëing 70 submissions!

seventy.

Response to Mac12 - Jan/feb Discussion 2012-02-17 05:04:28

Actually does anyone have any music left over? I've got like 5 minutes of music I chopped off. lol

BBS Signature

Response to Mac12 - Jan/feb Discussion 2012-02-17 07:10:59

At 2 hours ago, PeterSatera wrote: Actually does anyone have any music left over? I've got like 5 minutes of music I chopped off. lol

Haha wow. I've only got a little 15-second accelerando/crescendo pattern thing which was supposed to transition from 3/4 to 4/4 in Sanctuary.

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature

Response to Mac12 - Jan/feb Discussion 2012-02-17 09:13:26

At 3 hours ago, JPRixdorfer wrote:
Oh, Samulis entered! Too lazy to post it here, but I think it was on page one, of the earlier submissions. No problem though, I guess - after all there are f@}Ãf«ing 70 submissions!

Hahaha cool. I checked and it was the one I reviewed.

Response to Mac12 - Jan/feb Discussion 2012-02-17 13:15:42

At 8 hours ago, PeterSatera wrote: Actually does anyone have any music left over? I've got like 5 minutes of music I chopped off. lol

I don't write much over 4 minutes any more... I start rambling and going through new ideas until the song is so lost and in no way related to the beginning that it's impossible to try to end it in a traditional manner...

My Music - Virtual Instruments - About Me

Orchestral Composer, VI Developer

BBS Signature

Response to Mac12 - Jan/feb Discussion 2012-02-17 14:17:51

At 9 hours ago, PeterSatera wrote: Actually does anyone have any music left over? I've got like 5 minutes of music I chopped off. lol

I'm taking a little break from it, but my piece was not intended to end where it did - I still feel that the arc requires another minute or two to work properly, and not just by adding more onto the end but changing the 2nd half's structure entirely!

Let's have a "cutting room floor" contest right after this :)

Response to Mac12 - Jan/feb Discussion 2012-02-17 15:42:13

Oo. I was just wondering if we were missing out on other extras. :P I'd always love to hear more of everyones work, or extended version!

BBS Signature

Response to Mac12 - Jan/feb Discussion 2012-02-17 16:19:18

At 1 hour ago, NickPerrin wrote:
At 9 hours ago, PeterSatera wrote: Actually does anyone have any music left over? I've got like 5 minutes of music I chopped off. lol
I'm taking a little break from it, but my piece was not intended to end where it did - I still feel that the arc requires another minute or two to work properly, and not just by adding more onto the end but changing the 2nd half's structure entirely!

Let's have a "cutting room floor" contest right after this :)

I concur. I wasn't able to finish mine -- I had notation I didn't have time to implement and I didn't get a chance to do a proper mixdown. I'm sure there's a lot of others that wanted to do more with their tracks. It would be fun to compare full, complete versions of everyone's songs after this compo is resolved.

Response to Mac12 - Jan/feb Discussion 2012-02-17 16:41:48

At 18 minutes ago, JasonCovenant wrote: I concur. I wasn't able to finish mine -- I had notation I didn't have time to implement and I didn't get a chance to do a proper mixdown.

For me it wasn't a matter of being able to finish it, I would have been able to finish the full length with time to spare - but having stupidly only found about the 5 to 6 minute limit on contest entries AFTER already having worked on the track to the 4 minute mark, I decided to restructure and wrap things up earlier than I intended :) Thought that would leave a more natural result than just cutting stuff out completely.

Response to Mac12 - Jan/feb Discussion 2012-02-18 05:40:10

I got my gear the last day so I started on the last..day x( IT was fun tho

Film & Game Composer - 4 Years with FL Studio - Contact me

http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/lis ten/471408

Response to Mac12 - Jan/feb Discussion 2012-02-18 13:16:46

At 7 hours ago, reel2 wrote: I got my gear the last day so I started on the last..day x( IT was fun tho

One day on gear you weren't familiar with? Your like some sort of mad genius. You Are Prophecy! stands out as one of the top 8 submissions right now in my head.

Response to Mac12 - Jan/feb Discussion 2012-02-18 14:55:12

At 9 hours ago, reel2 wrote: I got my gear the last day so I started on the last..day x( IT was fun tho

I noticed you actually have two entries but you are only allowed to have one. I assume you are withdrawing your first entry but I don't see any mention of it. Care to explain?

Response to Mac12 - Jan/feb Discussion 2012-02-18 15:05:03

At 8 minutes ago, NitrogenousBeing wrote:
At 9 hours ago, reel2 wrote: I got my gear the last day so I started on the last..day x( IT was fun tho
I noticed you actually have two entries but you are only allowed to have one. I assume you are withdrawing your first entry but I don't see any mention of it. Care to explain?

The judges look at the first entry by default.

Response to Mac12 - Jan/feb Discussion 2012-02-18 15:48:15

At 36 minutes ago, BrokenDeck wrote:
At 8 minutes ago, NitrogenousBeing wrote:
The judges look at the first entry by default.

Well I'm sad to see that happen his description of the first entry says just testing things out and the description of the second says its his Mac12 entry with a lot of details. I was hoping he got permission to exclude his first post but if you don't know about it then I guess he didn't.

Response to Mac12 - Jan/feb Discussion 2012-02-18 20:55:52

The list is now down to 12, and we're close to announcing the top 8!

Response to Mac12 - Jan/feb Discussion 2012-02-18 21:08:01

At 8 minutes ago, BrokenDeck wrote: The list is now down to 12, and we're close to announcing the top 8!

May we have a sleep before the finalists are announced, or will they be announced at midnight?

Response to Mac12 - Jan/feb Discussion 2012-02-18 21:25:09

At 15 minutes ago, camoshark wrote:
At 8 minutes ago, BrokenDeck wrote: The list is now down to 12, and we're close to announcing the top 8!
May we have a sleep before the finalists are announced, or will they be announced at midnight?

Pretty damn soon I should think, as soon as one of the judges get back from his smoke break lol :P

Response to Mac12 - Jan/feb Discussion 2012-02-18 21:27:33

At A few seconds ago, BrokenDeck wrote:
At 15 minutes ago, camoshark wrote:
Pretty damn soon I should think, as soon as one of the judges get back from his smoke break lol :P

The anticipation angst is unbearable, but WOW you guys don't mess around! :P

Response to Mac12 - Jan/feb Discussion 2012-02-18 21:52:51

We've got the list down to 8 now.

Pending a little further process, we'll post them soon.

Response to Mac12 - Jan/feb Discussion 2012-02-18 23:54:39

At 1 hour ago, BrokenDeck wrote: We've got the list down to 8 now.

Pending a little further process, we'll post them soon.

Oh well I better post what I think for fun.

The Unofficial Music as Heard by a Noob Awards:
Disclamer: These are NOT the real results. I am not an official judge because I have the musical background of a flea. However, I do know what I like so I went ahead and came up with my top 32. Because my judging is first impression based, if your entry is not on the list do not take it too seriously. I listened to 70 entries in a row while preforming electrocardiography experiments on a mouse brain, Thus, distraction could be a factor.
How I Judged it.
In my first round I gathered up the 32 pieces which gave me the most positive first impression. Next, I scored them against each-other in the following categories: Intensity, Emotional Change, Consitancy, Fit, Story, and Feel. (Probably fairly nonstandard criteria for music.) I then took a day away from the entries followed by listening to the top scoring 12 repeatedly. Finally, I rearranged the top couple the way I liked them.

The following list is in the format "Place.Title.....score Artist"
/D. means disqualified but would have held this spot
//Notice score does not necessarily dictate place for the top 12.

How to think about the score: The score is based on a mental bellshped curve for the competition where the average score of the entries is about 60.

1. Laboratory Escape ..........................95 BloodyLoud
2. Windswept ........................................91.7 NickPerrin
3. Sanctuary ..........................................89.2 Supersteph54
4. Apocalypse 2012 ..............................88.2 PeterSatera
5. MAC12: New Beginnings .................92.5 blackattackbitch
D. You are the Prophecy! ....................88.9 reel2 (This is entry number 2 so I
6. Unpredictable Brain ........................85.8 Pointrick
7. World Elves Left Behind .................84.2 Setu-Firestorm
8. Eluding Darkness ............................83.3 deadlyfishes
9. ECHO - Eye of the Dragon ...............82.5 Echo
10. The Crown of Arlidor .....................82.5 samulis
11. Daedalus' labyrinth - HABON ........84.1 habon
12. Coffee Opus ...................................82.5 drnickmd
13. Europa ............................................80.9 TaylorS
13. Festivity and Feathers ..................80.9 CheckeredZebra
13. Kings Quest ....................................80.9 Bosa
13. Viking Barbers from Space ...........80.9 Devastus
17. 2PM .................................................79.3 hnieuw
18. HangInthereWe'reComing! ...........78.6 SpikeVallentine
18. Piano Concerto (JPR) ....................78.6 JPRixdorfer
20. The Clouds Draw Over the Brook 77 tyzon05
20. The Grand Quest For More ..........77 JasonCovenant
20. The Long March .............................77 Throughdarkness
23. Fury ................................................76.1 eractnodi
24. Guardians =RC= .............................74.6 Raymoclaus
25. -*}MAC{*-Fractal Memories ...........73.8 camoshark
25. Dwarves in Space ..........................73.8 Jazza
25. ZUK - Quest Fantasia ....................73.8 pavelzuk
28. Early Morning Euphoria ................73 MasterCoyle
28. Medieval Adventure .....................73 DeseNutz
30. Rising Tension ...............................71.6 F4LL0UT
31. Jakobe - The Epic (MAC).............. 70 JakobePaulobe

Yeah I look forward to comparing with the real results. All the entries are so awesome! Thank you to all involve with setting this up!

Response to Mac12 - Jan/feb Discussion 2012-02-19 00:03:52

At 5 minutes ago, NitrogenousBeing wrote:
Yeah I look forward to comparing with the real results. All the entries are so awesome! Thank you to all involve with setting this up!

Speaking of the real results...

They're up!