00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Raphbull just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Sony Smash Bros?!

2,826 Views | 45 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Sony Smash Bros?! 2011-11-26 16:39:22

Well it looks like the years of fantasizing about a Sony brawler may be finally coming to an end. It looks like there is a Sony "Super Smash Bros" game in the works.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-1 1-25-what-is-superbots-very-amazing-play station-3-exclusive

Word of the mystery brawler first emerged on The Paul Gale Network, which claimed it featured a number of Sony mascots, including Parappa the Rappa (Parappa the Rapper), Kratos (God of War), Sly Cooper (Sly Cooper), Nathan Drake (Uncharted), Sweet Tooth (Twisted Metal), Colonel Mael Radec (Killzone) and Fat Princess (Fat Princess).

The report also mentioned a Sandover Village stage (from Jak & Daxter), Hot Shots Golf characters in stage backgrounds, a LittleBigPlanet stage and a Buzz! trivia mini-game. A James Bond character is also mentioned.

Current speculation points to SuperBot Entertainment, a Culver City, California-based studio confirmed to be working on a "very amazing PS3 game" for Sony Computer Entertainment America, as developer of the game.

SuperBot's website describes the company as "an exclusive developer of Sony Computer Entertainment America" and reveals it is "currently in production of a yet-to-be announced PS3 title".

According to a job advert, SuperBot is after a senior combat designer with "a strong familiarity with fighting games and fighting game theory".

Another job advert asks for a lead designer with "a strong familiarity with online mode and matchmaking design as they apply to console gaming".

On SuperBot's website are pictures of arcade fighting sticks.

More things that hint to the game is a senior level designer that has numerous tweets about a game, including the picture below.

1.Our capture station and waiting area - Parappa is a permanent resident http://twitpic.com/6a60jz [Backup]

2.The character artist sitting a row ahead of mine is modeling polygonal female boobies. Carry on...

3.Our studio fighters getting their brawl on http://twitpic.com/6au76k [Backup]

4.Racing to finish a level design doc for today's review - map layout is looking spiffy if I do say so myself.

5.Slam! Second level design pitch approved by our studio leads! Now onto Sony Santa Monica for a final green light.

6.In the middle of a skype video interview with a level design candidate from Osaka, Japan.

7.New Sony Playstation commercial vaguely foreshadowing our soon to be announced title - http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&
v=HBuK3EcY6vk

8.Checking out the original art assets from a Sony IP title we're appropriating for my level - very cool seeing this environment in raw form.

So what do you guys think? It looks pretty legit. This could be a pretty awesome game.

Sony Smash Bros?!

Response to Sony Smash Bros?! 2011-11-26 16:57:09

Very, very cool. I hope the gameplay is identical/similar to Brawl's as opposed to the standard fighting game like MK or SF. The fact that they're using fighting pads leads me to believe it's probably the latter, but I shouldn't base my judgement off that alone.

ALSO, INCLUDE THE WIND FROM FLOWER AS A PLAYABLE CHARACTER, SUPERBOT ENTERTAINMENT.

BBS Signature

Response to Sony Smash Bros?! 2011-11-26 16:59:00

Looks alright. Could be fun, but I think that the catalog of Sony characters isn't anywhere near as strong as a company like Capcom or Nintendo, so I don't know if the broad appeal is there. That could just be the fanboy in me talking, though.

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to Sony Smash Bros?! 2011-11-26 17:13:50

At 11/26/11 04:59 PM, ZJ wrote: Looks alright. Could be fun, but I think that the catalog of Sony characters isn't anywhere near as strong as a company like Capcom or Nintendo, so I don't know if the broad appeal is there. That could just be the fanboy in me talking, though.

Sony probably has one of the strongest line ups.

Just to name a few...

Ratchet and Clank
Jak and Daxter
Sly Cooper
Killzone
Uncharted
Parappa the Rappa
God of War
Twisted Metal
inFAMOUS
LittleBigPlanet
Resistance
Fat Princess
Ico
...just to name a few franchises which can have multiple characters from each. And that's just characters owned by Sony.

Response to Sony Smash Bros?! 2011-11-26 17:44:12

It looks interesting but I never really played the games made by Sony. But all I know is that they better include Crash Bandicoot

Response to Sony Smash Bros?! 2011-11-26 17:48:21

Where's COle McGrath?
WHERE IS COLE MCGRATH?!

[PSN/Steam- Airbourne238]

BBS Signature

Response to Sony Smash Bros?! 2011-11-26 18:19:22

Damn, if this comes out, I really have to finally get a PS3.

Also, if they don't put in Jak, Rachet, Crash, and Spyro, I will be disappointed. Really, most of the characters should be from PS1 and PS2 games.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to Sony Smash Bros?! 2011-11-26 18:31:30

This are the reasons I'm really not excited about this:

1) I really don't think this franchises would mix well together. Kratos VS Sly? Daxter VS Sweeth Tooth? I can't see it happening without stuff looking out of place. But then again, Nintendo really managed to make Solid Snake work!

2) I'm not such a fan of Sony's IPs. This is just a matter of taste, and if the gameplay is fun, I could look beyond this.

3) Only Nintendo knows how to makes Smash Bros. Let's be realistic, what was the last GOOD Smash Bros clone you played?

Response to Sony Smash Bros?! 2011-11-26 19:16:25

We should stop immediately seeing this as being a Smash Bros. clone. Honestly, just because it's a crossover fighter featuring chracters of IPs from one first party company, doesn't mean it is going to be a Smash bros. rip. That sort of gameplay wouldn't translate (very well) for these characters, as only a handful are cartoony enough for it to feel natural. If this is going to be a simple fighting game, my money is on it being in the style of Tekken or Mortal Kombat. At the same time, even that would feel awkward, since most Sony IPs revolve around gun-toting heroes.

I usually frequent the VG and collaboration Forums. If you find me anywhere else, I'm lost and can't find my way back.

Response to Sony Smash Bros?! 2011-11-26 19:27:15

At 11/26/11 07:16 PM, Gustavos wrote: We should stop immediately seeing this as being a Smash Bros. clone. Honestly, just because it's a crossover fighter featuring chracters of IPs from one first party company, doesn't mean it is going to be a Smash bros. rip. That sort of gameplay wouldn't translate (very well) for these characters, as only a handful are cartoony enough for it to feel natural. If this is going to be a simple fighting game, my money is on it being in the style of Tekken or Mortal Kombat. At the same time, even that would feel awkward, since most Sony IPs revolve around gun-toting heroes.

http://paulgalenetwork.com/home/2011/11/
18/title-fight-developer-name-might-be-r evealed-soon-but-for-now-a-few-more-answ ers/

03/new-gameplay-details-on-sonys-smash-b ros-fighter-exclusive-to-paul-gale-netwo rk/

12/answers-to-some-of-the-most-asked-que stions-regarding-title-fight-sonys-smash -bros-competitor/

Response to Sony Smash Bros?! 2011-11-26 20:41:04

At 11/26/11 06:31 PM, Archile wrote: 3) Only Nintendo knows how to makes Smash Bros. Let's be realistic, what was the last GOOD Smash Bros clone you played?

Onimusha Blade Warriors was okay.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to Sony Smash Bros?! 2011-11-26 20:58:50

God, what a stupid idea. That's the dumbest...

Parappa the Rappa

Well that changes everything! Given that a fightstick is apparently involved, I'm actually pretty curious as to how the gameplay will be. I also wonder what the rest of the character roster will be made up of.

Ape Escape. Do it.

Response to Sony Smash Bros?! 2011-11-26 21:40:47

At 11/26/11 09:22 PM, Blaze-Heatnix wrote:
At 11/26/11 05:13 PM, SlipperyMooseCakes wrote: Just to name a few...

Ratchet and Clank
High potential.
Jak and Daxter
Ditto.
Sly Cooper
Very high potential.
Killzone
Some potential.
Uncharted
Good potential.
Parappa the Rappa
High potential.
God of War
Very high potential.
Twisted Metal
Dunno about this one.
inFAMOUS
Very high potential.
LittleBigPlanet
Not much potential.
Resistance
Not much potential.
Fat Princess
lol
Ico
wat

You know some of the ones you doubted are actually mentioned to be in the game in the articles I posted. The Twisted Metal one even has a shot from in the game of Sweet Tooth. Also with games like ICO it's not so much the characters that would be used but stages. More so Shadow of Colossus which could be pretty cool.

Response to Sony Smash Bros?! 2011-11-26 22:18:16

At 11/26/11 08:41 PM, Sense-Offender wrote:
At 11/26/11 06:31 PM, Archile wrote: 3) Only Nintendo knows how to makes Smash Bros. Let's be realistic, what was the last GOOD Smash Bros clone you played?
Onimusha Blade Warriors was okay.

Ooooh I played that one, but I think I only liked it 'cause it had "ONIMUSHA" on the tittle xP.

Response to Sony Smash Bros?! 2011-11-26 22:55:02

nah sonys line up has too many M games to make it a brawler.

Unless they tone everything down it's just another mortal kombat. This just doesnt look like it's a game that's gonna be succesful

<3 </3 <3 </3 <3 </3 <3 </3 <3 </3 <3 </3 <3 </3 <3 </3 <3 </3

Response to Sony Smash Bros?! 2011-11-26 23:05:31

At 11/26/11 07:27 PM, SlipperyMooseCakes wrote: http://paulgalenetwork.com/home/2011/11/
03/new-gameplay-details-on-sonys-smash-b ros-fighter-exclusive-to-paul-gale-netwo rk/

"His Level 3 super involves him shouting, "I gotta believe" a few times which damages opponents to the point of dying."

GOTY

BBS Signature

Response to Sony Smash Bros?! 2011-11-26 23:08:13

Also, read the other articles posted. I'm convinced it'll play like SSB. Holy shit, getting hyped.

BBS Signature

Response to Sony Smash Bros?! 2011-11-29 11:23:21

At 11/26/11 10:55 PM, LuigiB0t wrote: nah sonys line up has too many M games to make it a brawler.

Unless they tone everything down it's just another mortal kombat. This just doesnt look like it's a game that's gonna be succesful

I would argue that most of their big franchises are rated T...

Response to Sony Smash Bros?! 2011-11-29 11:46:26

Oh, I hope this is true and that the gameplay is like smb. I missed playing those games ever since I went from buying nintendo consoles to buying playstation consoles.

It's only fun if you get a scar out of it

Team Fortress 2 club

BBS Signature

Response to Sony Smash Bros?! 2011-11-29 12:29:10

Very nice! I'd love to see Nathan Drake pounding in Sweet Tooth's face.

Response to Sony Smash Bros?! 2011-11-29 19:17:48

https://twitter.com/#!/noobde/status/141 666886004903936

Response to Sony Smash Bros?! 2011-11-29 20:08:10

I'm excited. This may finally convince me to buy a PS3.

although anyone who knows what they're doing already has SBB on their PSP, lol still an official port is a nice change of pace

Current PC: Ryzen 5 3600x, Corsair H100i, 16GB RAM, RX 580 Nitro +

BBS Signature

Response to Sony Smash Bros?! 2011-11-29 20:21:42

At 11/29/11 07:17 PM, SlipperyMooseCakes wrote: https://twitter.com/#!/noobde/status/141 666886004903936

Wouldn't he basically be a Kratos clone? Either way, third-party support is cool.

BBS Signature

Response to Sony Smash Bros?! 2011-11-29 22:32:45

At 11/26/11 04:57 PM, Chumbawamba wrote: ALSO, INCLUDE THE WIND FROM FLOWER AS A PLAYABLE CHARACTER, SUPERBOT ENTERTAINMENT.

I would like a "flower" stage. Also I would like to see solid snake or raiden in this along with the girl from heavenly sword. We may also have to touch down on some lesser known exclusives.

I'm just a dreamer.

BBS Signature

Response to Sony Smash Bros?! 2011-11-29 22:43:57

At 11/26/11 07:16 PM, Gustavos wrote: We should stop immediately seeing this as being a Smash Bros. clone. Honestly, just because it's a crossover fighter featuring chracters of IPs from one first party company, doesn't mean it is going to be a Smash bros. rip. That sort of gameplay wouldn't translate (very well) for these characters, as only a handful are cartoony enough for it to feel natural. If this is going to be a simple fighting game, my money is on it being in the style of Tekken or Mortal Kombat. At the same time, even that would feel awkward, since most Sony IPs revolve around gun-toting heroes.

I was thinking something like marvel vs. capcom style of fighting. They managed to mix a bunch of zany characters that were not only out of place but non-sensible. Felicia fighting ghost rider? Spider man fighting Dante? Nova vs. amaterasu? None of it makes sense but it all blends in well. The flashy visuals and insane, stupid things that happen will work well for this cross over. Also not sure why, but I think Drake will play like Chris redfield. By that I mean pulling random weapons out of his ass.

I'm just a dreamer.

BBS Signature

Response to Sony Smash Bros?! 2011-11-29 23:16:07

Cole Macgrath has to be a playable character. He has to be.

We had some good times, Newgrounds.

BBS Signature

Response to Sony Smash Bros?! 2011-11-29 23:29:58

At 11/29/11 11:16 PM, Greenfrost6 wrote: Cole Macgrath has to be a playable character. He has to be.

In all reality, if this game is legit and most likely FOR REAL, he will most likely be in character selection menu when you plug that disc into your PS3 for the first time...or he's one of the characters you'll most likely have to unlock along the way. I don't really see them leaving out Cole for this one, especially since you could most likely choose, before you fight, whether you want to fight as "good" Cole or "evil" Cole.

I just want Sackboy from LBP to be in there; it'd be funnier than hell.

Help the poor! Help the hungry in Africa!

BBS Signature

Response to Sony Smash Bros?! 2011-11-29 23:43:52

At 11/29/11 11:29 PM, FourSwordsKing wrote: In all reality, if this game is legit and most likely FOR REAL, he will most likely be in character selection menu when you plug that disc into your PS3 for the first time...or he's one of the characters you'll most likely have to unlock along the way. I don't really see them leaving out Cole for this one, especially since you could most likely choose, before you fight, whether you want to fight as "good" Cole or "evil" Cole.

Well you see...most likely.

Also, how about Kevin Butler has bonus player after you complete the main game. Oh the possibilities. Spike T.V. has an Ad for 13 exclusive reveals. One of the the games advertised is a "Sony exclusive you won't believe". Could it be this game?

Response to Sony Smash Bros?! 2011-11-30 00:53:41

This would be golden if they made it right. Someone on IGN commented that it'd be great if Kevin Butler was a hidden character and his special move was shooting PS3s from his hands. Hilarious. OR if he was a final boss in an arcade mode or something. Or, hell, if he just made a cameo.

This is my signature. It is a nice signature.

BBS Signature

Response to Sony Smash Bros?! 2011-11-30 09:17:18

At 11/29/11 11:43 PM, SlipperyMooseCakes wrote:
At 11/29/11 11:29 PM, FourSwordsKing wrote: In all reality, if this game is legit and most likely FOR REAL, he will most likely be in character selection menu when you plug that disc into your PS3 for the first time...or he's one of the characters you'll most likely have to unlock along the way. I don't really see them leaving out Cole for this one, especially since you could most likely choose, before you fight, whether you want to fight as "good" Cole or "evil" Cole.
Well you see...most likely.

What do you expect; I was dragging along, was awake for about 19 hours straight which, I know in all reality, it isn't that big of a deal, but it was kind of a sickness going on at the time...

Anyway, back to Earth. So we've talked about Sony's first party characters, but what about their third party or whatever the hell's next. I mean, I wouldn't mind playing as Murray from the Sly Cooper franchise, nor Daxter from the Jak and Daxter franchise (I know that most of you are thinking that he probably will be anyway, but others are thinking that he will just be part of Jak's attacks in the game).

Help the poor! Help the hungry in Africa!

BBS Signature