00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

christopher54000 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Winter Hip Hop

14,892 Views | 193 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Winter Hip Hop 2011-12-10 15:53:22

At 12/10/11 01:17 PM, Rahmemhotep wrote: I like how I left my vox clean and I see two reviews that refer to reverb and delay. :P
I assume they mean the layered vocals.

To be fair reverb and delay are essentially just layered vocals. I do think you lose some clarity layering like that.

And pig, next battles take place in January. Things will start moving for that in a couple of weeks.

BBS Signature

Response to Winter Hip Hop 2011-12-10 22:48:02

BBS Signature

Response to Winter Hip Hop 2011-12-11 03:03:42

RichJA is my new favourite reviewer. I read that shit in Clint Eastwood's voice (think Gran Torino) and it comes off mad funny. Just saying

~Mike~

Response to Winter Hip Hop 2011-12-12 14:02:30

At 12/10/11 01:17 PM, Rahmemhotep wrote:
Another thing I noticed was where the third review said that there was a contradiction in JI's first verse. This is untrue, because JI was ticking off types of insults in a defensive tactic, not directing the insults at me or whatever the reviewer thought.

Ok, so he used a simile to compare Em-Hotep's voice to a 5 yr old girl, then JI said Em-ho was 12 yr old boy. Since he used basically the same attack with different age and sex in the same verse, it sounded like contradicting attacks.

Clearly he aimed those insults at Em-ho, it was a battle.Unless I missed something and JI was battle someone else in that battle.

BBS Signature

Response to Winter Hip Hop 2011-12-13 03:38:10

when's the next battle series?

Response to Winter Hip Hop 2011-12-13 13:07:07

I produce, and I've been looking for an MC to get on this track for DAYZZZ; still taking beat submissions BigRed?

Response to Winter Hip Hop 2011-12-13 15:45:47

Sign me up to battle if its not too late

Response to Winter Hip Hop 2011-12-13 22:50:19

Well, if you want to view it that way fine...

I was actually calling my voice that of a five year old girl. A lot of that first verse was me dissing myself.

BBS Signature

Response to Winter Hip Hop 2011-12-14 09:02:31

Vote on the battle between me and Cook.

http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1278 662

Response to Winter Hip Hop 2011-12-14 13:38:49

Wrong link. Go here to vote:

To all the latecomers, fraid I'm not taking beats or MCs right now, this round is done minus a few unfinished battles. Next battles will happen in January.

BBS Signature

Response to Winter Hip Hop 2011-12-15 05:09:13

At 12/14/11 01:38 PM, BigRed wrote: Wrong link. Go here to vote:
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/4 59760
To all the latecomers, fraid I'm not taking beats or MCs right now, this round is done minus a few unfinished battles. Next battles will happen in January.

forsure man, thank you for the info.
thankfully that's not too far away at all :p

Response to Winter Hip Hop 2011-12-15 13:22:36

At 12/12/11 02:02 PM, MickeyMao wrote:
Another thing I noticed was where the third review said that there was a contradiction in JI's first verse. This is untrue, because JI was ticking off types of insults in a defensive tactic, not directing the insults at me or whatever the reviewer thought.
Ok, so he used a simile to compare Em-Hotep's voice to a 5 yr old girl, then JI said Em-ho was 12 yr old boy. Since he used basically the same attack with different age and sex in the same verse, it sounded like contradicting attacks.

Clearly he aimed those insults at Em-ho, it was a battle.Unless I missed something and JI was battle someone else in that battle.

No, no, it's defensive. Go back and actually listen to what he's saying. He's saying that I could call him out on his slurring and say he has the voice and mindset of a five-year-old girl, blah, blah, blah. In any case he's ticking off insults so that I can't use them immediately afterward.

Think, for three seconds, bro. Why would he say, "rename me to 'Just Fail'," at the end of his verse if he was hurling insults at me? That doesn't make sense. Battles don't consist of just constant attacks in real life and they don't have to in rap. This is an example of such.

In battles there are feints, tactical false retreats, evasive tactics, defense, offense, flanking maneuvers, etc. We can also look at one-on-one combat for even more ideas. If we can use these tactics and translate them for rap battles then we get a more sophisticated and thought-out way of battling instead of, "attack, attack, attack, attack," where either party could be made out to look stupid, simply based on a lack of ingenuity. It's upsetting to think that people miss out on this and don't see the true thought behind each verse in our battle.

Another thing is that the line, "You're a 12 year old boy in a church bake sale for gay males," is my favourite line from him, so it compels me to show how he was justified in this case. I mean, come on. You picked him as the winner and said he was more clear than I, but could you even write out all of his lines correctly? I know that I couldn't, because of his mumbling in his second verse, so I really doubt you could either.

Then in my own defense on clarity issues is the fact that, as a rule, we're not allowed to manipulate the original instrumental track in any way. This creates the issue of everyone usually having vocals that clip and sound shitty, because they're trying to compete with the instrumental. This is an issue that would be solved by simply turning the volume down on the instrumental. The instrumentals are so loud to begin with, because they're stand-alone and the creator wants you to be able to hear everything in it. When someone raps over them they get turned down to give headroom for the vocals, but for a reason that I'll never understand, we can't do this. In addition to this issue is that most of us use shitty mics. I mean, really, we're not all those rich white fags from the inner city or that dude with connections in the community.

Me? I'm poor as dirt. At the moment I have a dollar and some cents to my name, so of course I use the shitty vocal quality of the Samson G-Track. Before that I used a $14 LogiTech headset, so sorry if y'all can't understand me, but there isn't much I can do about it except the equalizing I had to do. Of course, if I use a lower voice than that high voice I used in the last battle I could gain better clarity, but sacrifice the specific humouresque dynamic I had goin' on. Notice how my voice sounds louder at the end where my voice is deeper? That's because my mic can't recognize certain higher/mid frequencies correctly, but some lower ones show up better. I was really pissed at how it picks up my screams and such as well. The part where I go, "and you're all whack up in here and I'm SLAPPIN' YOU WITH MY COCK!" sounds more like I was straining for breath than screaming (which I was doing the latter). All in all, don't get the Samson G-Track for vocals. It's great for instruments, though.

Now, enough of this dribble. Soldier on guys!

Response to Winter Hip Hop 2011-12-15 14:30:15

At 12/15/11 01:22 PM, Rahmemhotep wrote:
At 12/12/11 02:02 PM, MickeyMao wrote:
a novel.

Hotep, I had to work with a bad mic this round too, and I understand equalization issues when there are some harsh tones that get in the way of where vocals should go. But in spite of that, your dubs or reverb additions are the issue. your vocals seem overproduced, it doesn't have anything to do with the track. it's not complementing it, it's conflicting with it. It would go a long way if you just turned the background track down. Right now it feels like they're damn near at the same volume. You've got a style that is unique and i'd like to hear what you're saying.

i would like to also add that most kids who live in the inner city are broke, not rich. g' day.

Response to Winter Hip Hop 2011-12-15 14:48:02

At 12/15/11 02:30 PM, MadFLeX wrote: your dubs or reverb additions are the issue.

This. I was trying to figure it out and got him to send me some a cappellas, but the main vocals were already doubled on a single track and another one had additional ad libs. In the next battle I'd really recommend you trying no dubs or vocal backing, just have one voice present and crank it up.

Also, I've been thinking about systematically lowering the volume of the battle beats slightly, maybe 2 DB or something. I'd rather risk the beat being too quiet. I don't want MCs to edit the track because it's difficult to make sure both MCs agree on the changes. For example, I've had MC's lower the volume of tracks that had other verses on it!

BBS Signature

Response to Winter Hip Hop 2011-12-15 18:02:55

I just wish more voters voted... There are like 12 of them and only a few votes on each battle.

Response to Winter Hip Hop 2011-12-15 19:29:05

Not sure if anyone noticed but since i was first i changed the beat quite a lot...
A) lowered the volume, B) EQ'd out some mids to make room for vocals, C) cut up the beat and redesigned it to have 4 perfect 16bar verses so there wouldn't be unneeded white space or someone having to rap over awkward parts.

BBS Signature

Response to Winter Hip Hop 2011-12-15 19:39:42

At 12/15/11 07:29 PM, PiGPEN wrote: Not sure if anyone noticed but since i was first i changed the beat quite a lot...
A) lowered the volume, B) EQ'd out some mids to make room for vocals, C) cut up the beat and redesigned it to have 4 perfect 16bar verses so there wouldn't be unneeded white space or someone having to rap over awkward parts.

We all need PiGPEN to do this to every beat. :/

BBS Signature

Response to Winter Hip Hop 2011-12-15 22:26:46

At 12/15/11 07:29 PM, PiGPEN wrote: Not sure if anyone noticed but since i was first i changed the beat quite a lot...

Ya... I just rapped over empty space like a boss

~Mike~

Response to Winter Hip Hop 2011-12-16 13:29:01

Richard: No response to me reading your reviews as clint eastwood? I SWEAR you should try it

~Mike~

Response to Winter Hip Hop 2011-12-16 16:51:44

I've got another idea for battles. The person who goes first is generally at a disadvantage it seems; they have nothing to flip and they don't have the last word. What you guys think of letting the first MC choose the beat? They will still pick a beat from a pre-selected group. So, instead of assigning beats I'll just provide a list of 10 beats or whatever, and the MC that goes first picks one they like. Also, I've put a lot of effort into getting battles on different beats but I'd be fine with having a few battles on the same beat if it's dope.

BBS Signature

Response to Winter Hip Hop 2011-12-16 16:57:48

At 12/16/11 04:51 PM, BigRed wrote: Why don't we do it the HDC way?

Good idea.

BBS Signature

Response to Winter Hip Hop 2011-12-16 23:04:36

Most of the battles are now done. There are a few still sitting, I'm just going to let them finish on their own time. Dope battles y'all, I'll be back soon for the january battle call.

WINTER BATTLE DECISIONS PART II
PiGPEN vs Greenskullkid
Winner: PiGPEN

MadFLeX vs MR-Maelstrom
Winner: MadFLeX

PIED3 vs Methreee
Winner: Methreee

Gasmasq vs OxyJin
Winner: Gasmasq

n1k vs achilles015
Winner: achilles015

dacookup vs HeIsAlive
Winner: dacookup

Rahmemhotep vs Just Insane
Winner: Just Insane

BBS Signature

Response to Winter Hip Hop 2011-12-16 23:21:17

Free NGHH 2011 Album Winners

Here's how this will work. I have two NGHH 2011 albums that I'm going to mail out. I was going to select two MCs myself, but I figured you all would like to join in on the selection. So! I want you to vote on the top three MCs of the Winter Battles. Pick the MCs that you think performed the strongest in their battle. You cannot vote for yourself. I'll tally the votes and the top 2 MCs get albums mailed to them.

Post below with something like this:
1st. George
2nd. Sherman
3rd. MC Tacobell

BBS Signature

Response to Winter Hip Hop 2011-12-17 00:36:52

At 12/15/11 01:22 PM, Rahmemhotep wrote: blah blah blah shitty quality, blah blah.

Votes for best performance
1)Oxyjin
2)Gasmasq
3)Wyze

BBS Signature

Response to Winter Hip Hop 2011-12-17 00:42:53

I'm going to put my vote down on this thing too. My vote has the same weight as anyone else.

1st - Richard J. Amtmann III
2nd - MadFLeX
3rd - OxyJin

BBS Signature

Response to Winter Hip Hop 2011-12-17 02:50:11

1. Oxyjin
2. Wyze
3. Pigpen

NGHH Comp 2011 CD - [Support Hip Hop!] NGHH Comp 2010 CD - [Support NG Music!]

BBS Signature

Response to Winter Hip Hop 2011-12-17 03:40:35

1 ) Flex
2 ) Rich JA
3 ) Gasmasq

:D

Response to Winter Hip Hop 2011-12-17 05:54:01

1. Boss
2. Pigpen
3. Madflex

BBS Signature

Response to Winter Hip Hop 2011-12-17 15:02:01

1st - Richard J. Amtmann III
2nd - MadFLeX
3rd - PiGPEN

BBS Signature

Response to Winter Hip Hop 2011-12-17 23:37:25

I'll tally these results on post the winners on Tuesday the 20th. Anyone else gonna vote?

BBS Signature