00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

s4kuna just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Uncompressing mp3's, is it possible

19,705 Views | 40 Replies

Are .mp3's compressed like an .RAR archive, for example?

Whenever I open an mp3 file in Adobe Audition, it shows me that the file size is around 100mb+ even though the raw file in my directory is like 8mb. This makes me think Audition "uncompressed" the mp3.

I'm guessing the mp3 is in a .wav format when imported into Audition. Does this mean I can export an 192kbps mp3 into a 320kbps mp3 using this process?

Probably sounds stupid, but I'd like to be enlightened.

Response to Uncompressing mp3's, is it possible 2011-06-11 00:13:21

I don't think you can convert a mp3 to a wav and set it to a better quality.

But im not sure though , maybe someone can enlighten us

Music is my passion , not my business.

Response to Uncompressing mp3's, is it possible 2011-06-11 00:15:28

in theory,everything done to a file(no matter the type) can be undone,but normally,if you uncompress an .mp3,it sounds like complete SHIT. im not really an expert,but im trying to enlighten.

Sig Links. Links in Sig. I dunno.

"making a piece of music is kinda like raising a kid (only a lot easier, lol)" - Skye [Winter] 11:28 PM <- Skype? hell yeah.

BBS Signature

Response to Uncompressing mp3's, is it possible 2011-06-11 00:22:51

When you compress a piece of audio data to mp3, it loses quality. Forever. Sure you can re-encode it upward to a wav or a higher quality mp3, but the data is already gone.

In other words, it doesn't matter what you do with the mp3, you're not getting the lost frequency range back.

...or am I entirely misinterpreting your query?

Response to Uncompressing mp3's, is it possible 2011-06-11 00:26:56

At 6/11/11 12:22 AM, Nav wrote: When you compress a piece of audio data to mp3, it loses quality. Forever. Sure you can re-encode it upward to a wav or a higher quality mp3, but the data is already gone.

In other words, it doesn't matter what you do with the mp3, you're not getting the lost frequency range back.

...or am I entirely misinterpreting your query?

Yea, I think you got it right.

Expected what you said. Still, kinda disappointed about it though.

Response to Uncompressing mp3's, is it possible 2011-06-11 00:28:49

It's not "uncompressed", it's just re-rendered into a new audio file, and all the imperfections of any prior mp3 encoding persists. In fact, if you save an mp3 as a new mp3, the imperfections will inevitably accumulate.

At least this signature is not obsolete.

BBS Signature

Response to Uncompressing mp3's, is it possible 2011-06-11 01:29:28

There are two kinds of compression, lossless compression and lossy compression. The reason the mp3 is 8 megs is because data has been discarded. That data cannot be recovered.
An uncompressed MP3 is simply turned back into a wav with all of its missing data still missing, simply in a raw format the sound card can understand. Same concept as a JPG.

FLAC format is lossless, like PNG.

Response to Uncompressing mp3's, is it possible 2011-06-11 14:10:05

At 6/11/11 12:22 AM, Nav wrote: When you compress a piece of audio data to mp3, it loses quality. Forever. Sure you can re-encode it upward to a wav or a higher quality mp3, but the data is already gone.

Nav's right, once you compress it, you can change the format back, but the information is gone forever. Basically its like me scanning The Mona Lisa, then printing the scan onto canvas. Im not going to get all the textures on my print now, am I, but the image will still be there.

BBS Signature

Response to Uncompressing mp3's, is it possible 2011-06-11 14:16:15

You can't uncompress MP3's, no. The information has already been discarded. We'd a lovely chat about all this recently in the Audio File Format thread if you're curious, I think I went into what they do.

If not, ask away. I might as well use the 3 months I spent studying MPEG layers for something.

Response to Uncompressing mp3's, is it possible 2011-06-11 15:49:37

At 6/11/11 02:16 PM, Chris-V2 wrote: You can't uncompress MP3's, no. The information has already been discarded. We'd a lovely chat about all this recently in the Audio File Format thread if you're curious, I think I went into what they do.

If not, ask away. I might as well use the 3 months I spent studying MPEG layers for something.

Actually, technically yes you can uncompress mp3's. Saying you cant implys you cant change them out of mp3. But you can, because you can convert them to a higher file, eg. Wav. However the information is lost from the original file/export as mp3 doesn't acknowledge information that uncompressed does. Understand that compression is merely use of a coder and decoder. Mp3 is a format of codec, like jpeg.

BBS Signature

Response to Uncompressing mp3's, is it possible 2011-06-11 15:49:41

Thinking that you could get an mp3 file back to its lossless stage would be like thinking you could make shit turn back to its food stage.

Response to Uncompressing mp3's, is it possible 2011-06-11 16:21:04

At 6/11/11 03:49 PM, PeterSatera wrote:
Actually, technically yes you can uncompress mp3's. Saying you cant implys you cant change them out of mp3. But you can, because you can convert them to a higher file, eg. Wav. However the information is lost from the original file/export as mp3 doesn't acknowledge information that uncompressed does. Understand that compression is merely use of a coder and decoder. Mp3 is a format of codec, like jpeg.

You can reformat them, yes. You can't uncompress them. Uncompressing them implies that the old data will be restored, which it wont. While the coder does the compression, they're 2 seperate things and should be considered asuch. Not all encoders compress and not all compression occurs during encoding.

But, please, feel free to spend your time telling me things I already know. I don't spent too much time on the internet and I probably wont even get very arsey about it!

Response to Uncompressing mp3's, is it possible 2011-06-11 18:00:47

At 6/11/11 04:21 PM, Chris-V2 wrote: You can reformat them, yes. You can't uncompress them. Uncompressing them implies that the old data will be restored, which it wont. While the coder does the compression, they're 2 seperate things and should be considered asuch. Not all encoders compress and not all compression occurs during encoding.

But, please, feel free to spend your time telling me things I already know. I don't spent too much time on the internet and I probably wont even get very arsey about it!

No shit sherlock. Im not talking about regaining data, im talking about translating the data back to wav. But heck, what do I know, since I deal with compression every day in my work.

BBS Signature

Response to Uncompressing mp3's, is it possible 2011-06-11 18:09:46

At 6/11/11 06:00 PM, PeterSatera wrote: No shit sherlock. Im not talking about regaining data, im talking about translating the data back to wav.

Yeah I think everybody understands that. Still, you did say you can "uncompress" it. Which you can't. Converting between formats is not necessarily the same as compression/decompression.

But heck, what do I know, since I deal with compression every day in my work.

lol who doesn't

Response to Uncompressing mp3's, is it possible 2011-06-11 18:25:51

At 6/11/11 06:00 PM, PeterSatera wrote:
No shit sherlock. Im not talking about regaining data, im talking about translating the data back to wav. But heck, what do I know, since I deal with compression every day in my work.

lolwut?

Response to Uncompressing mp3's, is it possible 2011-06-11 20:51:29

Can we end the pissing contest here please? We're all audio people here.

But I must add that I HAVE VERY IMPORTANT COMPRESSION CLIENTS!!! NAMES YOU'D RECOGNIZE IN THE COMPRESSION WORLD!!

Response to Uncompressing mp3's, is it possible 2011-06-11 20:55:24

At 6/11/11 08:51 PM, NickPerrin wrote: But I must add that I HAVE VERY IMPORTANT COMPRESSION CLIENTS!!! NAMES YOU'D RECOGNIZE IN THE COMPRESSION WORLD!!

I heard you're the guy who compresses Phil Spector's productions to 128kbps mp3s o.o

Response to Uncompressing mp3's, is it possible 2011-06-11 21:57:47

AWWW YEAH ARGUMENTS OVER SEMANTICS

(Hey guys, uncompressing isn't a word)

You can decompress an mp3 file. Think of it this way. I have a nice clean sheet of computer paper. I decide to compress it by squishing it up into a ball. I can also uncompress it by unfolding it back into a complete sheet. However there will now be lines that weren't there before thanks to my folding it up. That's how mp3 compression works. Yes, you can uncompress it. But you can never have the same sheet of paper back.

Lossless compression is like putting something into a box and taking it out again. Still the same! :D

Also just because you "work with compression every day" doesn't mean your terminology is the same. Of course you understand how it works, but sometimes stupid English words confuse and anger us.

Response to Uncompressing mp3's, is it possible 2011-06-12 06:43:42

At 6/11/11 08:51 PM, NickPerrin wrote:
I HAVE VERY IMPORTANT COMPRESSION CLIENTS!!! NAMES YOU'D RECOGNIZE IN THE COMPRESSION WORLD!!

I thought I recognized you from somewhere!

Uncompressing mp3's, is it possible

Response to Uncompressing mp3's, is it possible 2011-06-12 06:47:17

At 6/11/11 09:57 PM, Nav wrote: AWWW YEAH ARGUMENTS OVER SEMANTICS

(Hey guys, uncompressing isn't a word)

You can decompress an mp3 file. Think of it this way. I have a nice clean sheet of computer paper. I decide to compress it by squishing it up into a ball. I can also uncompress it by unfolding it back into a complete sheet. However there will now be lines that weren't there before thanks to my folding it up. That's how mp3 compression works. Yes, you can uncompress it. But you can never have the same sheet of paper back.

You can, however, dissolve the .mp3 in water, pour it into a mold, let it dry and after a while you'll have a slightly smaller, thicker, rougher and more yellow-tinted new .wav?

Response to Uncompressing mp3's, is it possible 2011-06-12 07:37:13

Ah the old omgthatsitimquotingyouinmysigtomakeyoul0 0kstoopid trick. Maybe you'll hit ChrisV3 someday?

There's too many metaphors in here to actually get a grip of what people are saying. lol Saying you can't decompress/uncompress is like saying you can't take a cheese and ham sandwich apart.

BBS Signature

Response to Uncompressing mp3's, is it possible 2011-06-12 07:43:41

At 6/12/11 07:37 AM, PeterSatera wrote: Saying you can't decompress/uncompress is like saying you can't take a cheese and ham sandwich apart.

No

Response to Uncompressing mp3's, is it possible 2011-06-12 07:53:04

At 6/12/11 07:37 AM, PeterSatera wrote:
There's too many metaphors in here to actually get a grip of what people are saying. lol Saying you can't decompress/uncompress is like saying you can't take a cheese and ham sandwich apart.

First of all, that's an analogy.

Second of all, you're saying mp3 compression can be recovered. It can't. You can strip the old header and add a new one with an encoder for WAV or FLAV or Ogg Vorbis but that's not uncompressing the audio, the compression has already happened. What you're doing is reformating the audio, there is no restoration of information.

Maybe we should scribble SMART off the side of that compressor...

Response to Uncompressing mp3's, is it possible 2011-06-12 07:55:26

At 6/12/11 07:43 AM, SBB wrote: No

It must be. How else do guys tear apart tracks into seperate elements seamlessly? Im not meaning crappy accapellas, i mean like full blown tracks, split into, Orchestra - drums - and synths.

BBS Signature

Response to Uncompressing mp3's, is it possible 2011-06-12 08:01:17

At 6/12/11 07:55 AM, PeterSatera wrote:
At 6/12/11 07:43 AM, SBB wrote: No
It must be. How else do guys tear apart tracks into seperate elements seamlessly? Im not meaning crappy accapellas, i mean like full blown tracks, split into, Orchestra - drums - and synths.

you can't do that to an mp3

Response to Uncompressing mp3's, is it possible 2011-06-12 08:04:55

See this is what I mean, you must be able to. As I've got some tracks seperated into elements.

BBS Signature

Response to Uncompressing mp3's, is it possible 2011-06-12 08:07:01

Are you just saying this so you can dismiss your "I deal with compression every day in my work" comment as trolling?

Response to Uncompressing mp3's, is it possible 2011-06-12 08:13:14

It's not trolling. I do deal with it everyday. It's just part of the job. It's visual translation, such as 3Dobjects but I've had to do some stuff in audio before. But I work with converting .dxf to .lwo, to .obj to .ma and .mb and make sure it can come back again.

Trolling is too timeconsuming.

BBS Signature

Response to Uncompressing mp3's, is it possible 2011-06-12 09:50:33

I thought you were too smart to be such an idiot on other forums, Pete. Especially ones where the regulars actually know what they're talking about.

How about this scenario: You open a hi-res BMP file in photoshop, then save it as a low-res JPEG at a quality level of 20. Now, by the logic you're applying to mp3 format, you should be able to take that same JPEG and make it look exactly like the original PNG. You can't, and "decompressing" an mp3 is just the same because you're taking raw data (bmp/wav) and using a lossy compression algorithm (jpg/mp3 to lower the file size. Lossy means you lose the data. Forever. You can change that jpg back into a bitmap, but it will still look the same.

Are we still confused, or was that too "metaphorical" for you?

p.s. i am gay

Response to Uncompressing mp3's, is it possible 2011-06-12 09:51:45

At 6/12/11 09:50 AM, midimachine wrote: Now, by the logic you're applying to mp3 format, you should be able to take that same JPEG and make it look exactly like the original PNG.

meant to write BMP here, lol.

p.s. i am gay