00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

LewgusWithFriends just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Avat - Art Signups

13,499 Views | 186 Replies

Response to Avat - Art Signups 2011-06-25 20:04:08

At 6/25/11 07:54 PM, SketchyEntertainment wrote: @Flowers10: Yes, I should have said so earlier, sorry. This will be good for Robot Day and AVAT, so yes.

How would that work?

Do you just use whichever the judges score the highest as the entry?

Aigis - Putting the 'ai' back in 'Aigis'.

BBS Signature

Response to Avat - Art Signups 2011-06-26 00:27:19

At 6/25/11 08:04 PM, Aigis wrote:
At 6/25/11 07:54 PM, SketchyEntertainment wrote: @Flowers10: Yes, I should have said so earlier, sorry. This will be good for Robot Day and AVAT, so yes.
How would that work?

Do you just use whichever the judges score the highest as the entry?

Yes. Sorry for not stating that earlier. Does this sound fair?

Response to Avat - Art Signups 2011-06-26 00:29:04

At 6/26/11 12:27 AM, SketchyEntertainment wrote: Yes. Sorry for not stating that earlier. Does this sound fair?

Not really. To be honest I think you should limit it to one entry per person, or else this whole thing is going to turn into a clusterfuck.

BBS Signature

Response to Avat - Art Signups 2011-06-26 00:40:30

At 6/26/11 12:29 AM, Aigis wrote:
At 6/26/11 12:27 AM, SketchyEntertainment wrote: Yes. Sorry for not stating that earlier. Does this sound fair?
Not really. To be honest I think you should limit it to one entry per person, or else this whole thing is going to turn into a clusterfuck.

Yeh, I will disallow it after the first round. This round can be one that is taken advantage of, so people can submit their best pieces.

Also, I am wondering if people would like me to post their art on my Sketchy page on Facebook, and give them full credit however they want. I will only do this though if I have their permission.

So if you would like me to do this, please just ask me.

Thanks

-SketchyEntertainment

Response to Avat - Art Signups 2011-07-02 17:49:01

kinda bummed that about half of the people remembered to do this but how does the judging go then will it skip a round or is only a few people getting out ?

Response to Avat - Art Signups 2011-07-02 18:29:22

Half is still a pretty solid turn out.
the entire time I looked at the first round as a preliminary. To seperate out the people who either will participate, or for whatever reason not go on to the next round. Be it dropping out or work not up to snuff.
Next round I imagine is when shit's gonna get real.

Response to Avat - Art Signups 2011-07-02 18:59:44

At 7/2/11 06:29 PM, M-Vero wrote: Half is still a pretty solid turn out.
the entire time I looked at the first round as a preliminary. To seperate out the people who either will participate, or for whatever reason not go on to the next round. Be it dropping out or work not up to snuff.

I hope so anyway. Thank you once again to everyone for helping out or competing. Also, I have sent all art pieces to all of the judges. The final scores will be announced when all results are received.

Oh, and thank you to LegolaSS for gathering together most of the art pieces with links.

And thank you again everyone, round 1 turned out GREAT!!!

-SketchyEntertainment

Response to Avat - Art Signups 2011-07-02 19:04:14

At 7/2/11 06:59 PM, SketchyEntertainment wrote:
I hope so anyway. Thank you once again to everyone for helping out or competing. Also, I have sent all art pieces to all of the judges. The final scores will be announced when all results are received.

Still, how is this gonna be determined? Are all of the participants gonna get through or will there still be a cut-off?
It just seems that we shouldn't waste time judging when almost everyone is going to get through.
Unless, of course, you want to just have a ranking for who "won" the first round, or whatever.

Response to Avat - Art Signups 2011-07-02 19:09:37

At 7/2/11 07:04 PM, Kashi wrote:
At 7/2/11 06:59 PM, SketchyEntertainment wrote:
Still, how is this gonna be determined? Are all of the participants gonna get through or will there still be a cut-off?
It just seems that we shouldn't waste time judging when almost everyone is going to get through.
Unless, of course, you want to just have a ranking for who "won" the first round, or whatever.

18 people will continue to the next round. But if people would like more to continue through, please just tell me. I think 18 won't change though. Because there are only 3 rounds now as more than half of the people never submitted art.

-SketchyEntertainment

Response to Avat - Art Signups 2011-07-02 21:00:17

At 7/2/11 07:09 PM, SketchyEntertainment wrote: 18 people will continue to the next round. But if people would like more to continue through, please just tell me. I think 18 won't change though.

It doesn't really seem fair to the people that put in a certain amount of effort based on the knowledge that 32 people were going to get through.

BBS Signature

Response to Avat - Art Signups 2011-07-02 21:14:22

At 7/2/11 09:00 PM, Aigis wrote:
At 7/2/11 07:09 PM, SketchyEntertainment wrote: 18 people will continue to the next round. But if people would like more to continue through, please just tell me. I think 18 won't change though.
It doesn't really seem fair to the people that put in a certain amount of effort based on the knowledge that 32 people were going to get through.

But remember, there were 36 pieces of art, not artists. So the top 24 ARTISTS will continue.

Response to Avat - Art Signups 2011-07-02 22:10:56

At 7/2/11 09:14 PM, SketchyEntertainment wrote: But remember, there were 36 pieces of art, not artists. So the top 24 ARTISTS will continue.

The way this is phrased is confusing to me. Are you changing it from 18 artists in the second round to 24?

BBS Signature

Response to Avat - Art Signups 2011-07-02 22:14:22

At 7/2/11 10:10 PM, Aigis wrote:
At 7/2/11 09:14 PM, SketchyEntertainment wrote: But remember, there were 36 pieces of art, not artists. So the top 24 ARTISTS will continue.
The way this is phrased is confusing to me. Are you changing it from 18 artists in the second round to 24?

Yes, sorry for any confusion. I have raised it to 24 artists then 18. Just for you.

Response to Avat - Art Signups 2011-07-03 04:13:17

Thats stupid. People didn't put in extra effort knowing that 32 would go through, they did so knowing that two thirds of the competitors would go through. It's not just the bad artists that dropped out.

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature

Response to Avat - Art Signups 2011-07-03 04:17:02

Please, just stop changing the rules and go on as originally planned.

Response to Avat - Art Signups 2011-07-03 04:28:15

At 7/3/11 04:13 AM, J-qb wrote: Thats stupid. People didn't put in extra effort knowing that 32 would go through, they did so knowing that two thirds of the competitors would go through. It's not just the bad artists that dropped out.

Okay, it will remain at the best 18 artists will continue. I am sorry for messing everyone around, I just like to hear what you have to say, and by the sounds it is better the way it is,

Thank you J-qb and M-Vero for agreeing with my original plan. Next year or whenever another tournament will be run will be organised a lot better.

Sorry for messing you around again.

-SketchyEntertainment

Response to Avat - Art Signups 2011-07-03 05:14:05

At 7/3/11 04:28 AM, SketchyEntertainment wrote: Thank you J-qb and M-Vero for agreeing with my original plan.

I seem to remember your original plan was that 32 artists go through in the first round.

BBS Signature

Response to Avat - Art Signups 2011-07-03 05:22:31

At 7/3/11 05:14 AM, Aigis wrote:
At 7/3/11 04:28 AM, SketchyEntertainment wrote: Thank you J-qb and M-Vero for agreeing with my original plan.
I seem to remember your original plan was that 32 artists go through in the first round.

Yes it was, but only half had submitted their art, so that erased the 4th round. There are now only 3 rounds.

69 artists, only 36 submitted. Next round will be top 18, following with the top 9, or 10.

Response to Avat - Art Signups 2011-07-03 05:39:17

At 7/3/11 05:22 AM, SketchyEntertainment wrote: Yes it was, but only half had submitted their art, so that erased the 4th round. There are now only 3 rounds.

You can't just change the rules in the middle of a competition, SketchyEntertainment.

That violates all competition running etiquette.

When you started the thread you stated "the top 32 artists will continue to the second round." Not the top half, and not the top 18. What you are doing is not fair on the participants.

BBS Signature

Response to Avat - Art Signups 2011-07-03 06:03:36

At 7/3/11 05:39 AM, Aigis wrote:
At 7/3/11 05:22 AM, SketchyEntertainment wrote: Yes it was, but only half had submitted their art, so that erased the 4th round. There are now only 3 rounds.
You can't just change the rules in the middle of a competition, SketchyEntertainment.

That violates all competition running etiquette.

Well lets think of it as the second round. We now have 36 art pieces and the next 18 ARTISTS continue to the next round. Only about 6 artists will not be seen in the next round.

When you started the thread you stated "the top 32 artists will continue to the second round." Not the top half, and not the top 18. What you are doing is not fair on the participants.

Yes, the top 32 only if ALL artists competed. 69 artists were meant to join, we only had about 28 submit. You are looking at it all in the wrong direction. The people that didn't submit is about the same amount of people erased from one round of this tournament, therefore 4 rounds is unnecessary. And as discussed in the other page, if we reached 64 there would be 4 rounds. But it really seems pointless having 4 rounds when only 28 artists submitted.

I also find it unfair, but it is also unfair that not even half of the people who signed up submitted art (don't worry if you were one of these people, there is no grudge). But these things happen.

Please feel free to express your opinion everyone else.

-SketchyEntertainment

Response to Avat - Art Signups 2011-07-03 06:11:26

At 7/3/11 06:03 AM, SketchyEntertainment wrote: Well lets think of it as the second round. We now have 36 art pieces and the next 18 ARTISTS continue to the next round. Only about 6 artists will not be seen in the next round.

Your counting is off. 36 artists submitted art. There are 41 pieces of art.

BBS Signature

Response to Avat - Art Signups 2011-07-03 06:20:55

At 7/3/11 06:11 AM, Aigis wrote:
At 7/3/11 06:03 AM, SketchyEntertainment wrote: Well lets think of it as the second round. We now have 36 art pieces and the next 18 ARTISTS continue to the next round. Only about 6 artists will not be seen in the next round.
Your counting is off. 36 artists submitted art. There are 41 pieces of art.

Oh sorry, thank you for the correction. I am all over the place. Thanks once again. Well yes, this is a big drop, but it is for the best. Next tournament will be far more organised. Thanks for your help though, I will take this into consideration for next time.

Response to Avat - Art Signups 2011-07-03 07:33:00

At 7/3/11 05:14 AM, Aigis wrote:

The original plan was to let about half or 2/thirds of the artists go through each round.

BBS Signature

Response to Avat - Art Signups 2011-07-03 15:42:28

In the beginning of this thread, it says "The top 16 artists will then be selected for the second round."
However, it's understandable that the rules may have changed since then, since so many people had joined.
So, it the Art Entries thread, you (Sketchy) posted, "The top 32 highest scored artists will then continue on to the next round"
Now. I realize that you may just say, "Well, this just eliminates a round!" As that may be, I believe personally (and I'd like to think I speak for others as I say this) that I made my piece to the best of my ability, but that was also in the thought that I could be in the top 32, not the top 18.
Just a thought. If you disagree, then whatever. But I'm on Aigis' side.

Besides, an extra round can't hurt anyone.

Response to Avat - Art Signups 2011-07-03 17:03:21

Quite the clusterfuck we have here.

every morn I awake from the cavernous night

look at my pictures

look at pictures I look at

BBS Signature

Response to Avat - Art Signups 2011-07-03 17:23:49

50% of the artist's who submitted there work should drop out.

Click on the sig!

Or my thread

BBS Signature

Response to Avat - Art Signups 2011-07-03 18:17:26

At 7/3/11 05:23 PM, Flowers10 wrote: 50% of the artist's who submitted there work should drop out.

Why? What do you mean "drop out"

"Colors, like features, follow the changes of the emotions."

BBS Signature

Response to Avat - Art Signups 2011-07-03 19:21:36

At 7/3/11 06:17 PM, sirhenrystudios wrote:
At 7/3/11 05:23 PM, Flowers10 wrote: 50% of the artist's who submitted there work should drop out.

he means "mot go through to the next round".

I understand some poeple might be sad that instead of making it to the second round they now have to stop after the first round, but what is the value of that second round really when nearly everyone goes through?

BBS Signature

Response to Avat - Art Signups 2011-07-03 19:26:56

I think half, or at least a third should be eliminated, I was confused by 'drop out," I thought he meant just give up or something. I agree with J-qb, there would be no value to the second round if everyone made it through, regardless of the rules before, there are only 36 of the 64 artists

"Colors, like features, follow the changes of the emotions."

BBS Signature

Response to Avat - Art Signups 2011-07-03 19:57:58

At 7/3/11 06:17 PM, sirhenrystudios wrote:

Eliminated.

I tell you what, those who do not make it to the second round will have a round for themselves where they compete against to continue in the second round with everyone else. They will only have 1 week or so.

The top 4 from there will join everyone else in the second round. If they lose in that round, there is no saying that the people that lose that round, will win the competition, but there is a possibility.

If this is still confusing, please ask.