00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Ryor just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Avat - Art Signups

13,496 Views | 186 Replies

Avat - Art Signups 2011-06-06 05:36:55

Approved by TurkeyOnAStick.

Hello Newgrounds.

On Wednesday the 15th of June, an Artist vs Artist Tournament (AVAT) will start. This competition will consist of 3 rounds, with 1 week break in between each round. All rounds will go for 2 weeks, ensuring enough time for you to complete your art. However, if you cannot complete it, you can hand it in later, although penalties will be made.

Rewards:
The rewards will be announced as soon as the theme is announced.

What happens if I drop out?
If you drop out of the tournament, your name will just be erased from the round's list. So do not worry. Furthermore, if you drop out from the final round (if you make it), you will be given the lowest rank in that round.

How will I be judged?
I will ask a few artists well known to the art thread to volunteer. I will judge as well. So, 9 judges, including myself will give a score from 1 - 10 honestly on your art. We will then add them together. If there is a tie for last position, both artists will continue.

The top 16 artists will then be selected for the second round. After the second round, only 8 will continue for the third and final.
Everyone will be given a rank.

Are we allowed to collaborate?No. If you are caught collaborating with someone, you will automatically be disqualified from the tournament. Also, if you submit an art piece that you have already submitted to the portal, you will be asked to recreate another.

If you are interested in joining this tournament, feel free to put your name down. I will create a list of participants on my profile.

The theme will be announced on Wednesday the 15th of June, 5:00am Central Time.

Best of luck

-SketchyEntertainment

Response to Avat - Art Signups 2011-06-06 05:52:53

sounds like a lot of fun, so each round has a different theme? and is this only on NG? i will say im in for now, we need more of these kind of things, so thank you

good luck with the judges thing, assuming judges can also participate you might get enough judges out of the art regulars

Response to Avat - Art Signups 2011-06-06 05:54:45

Im in

I dont really get the "you can submit later but penalties will be given..."part. wouldnt this cause a huge delay on the judgement? or do you mean later as in the next day (getting only 80% of actual score) or the day after that (only 60% actual score) so that you basically have a second deadline for late entries...

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature

Response to Avat - Art Signups 2011-06-06 05:58:30

I wish I could, but I got my exams coming up. :(

alas i has no time.

Response to Avat - Art Signups 2011-06-06 06:02:00

At 6/6/11 05:54 AM, J-qb wrote: Im in

I dont really get the "you can submit later but penalties will be given..."part. wouldnt this cause a huge delay on the judgement? or do you mean later as in the next day (getting only 80% of actual score) or the day after that (only 60% actual score) so that you basically have a second deadline for late entries...

theres a week break between rounds, so i think results are posted at the end of that, and any entries posted in that week break are considered late so get penalties, or something like that, just a thought on how it works

Response to Avat - Art Signups 2011-06-06 06:05:03

I'm pretty sure there's about 8-10 art regulars all up, if you manage to rouse them from their drunken slumber, and getting 3 non-regs is a phenomenon. Good fucking luck getting 16, let alone enough artists that there is a "top-16".

That said, I'll leave a little card here that says "I'm in" in the same sense as "I might, but then I might go find something better to do like staring at shiny things". I reserve the right to withdraw that card if said shiny things appear.

Response to Avat - Art Signups 2011-06-06 06:35:21

At 6/6/11 06:05 AM, Lintire wrote: I'm pretty sure there's about 8-10 art regulars all up, if you manage to rouse them from their drunken slumber, and getting 3 non-regs is a phenomenon. Good fucking luck getting 16, let alone enough artists that there is a "top-16".

16 was just an estimated amount of competitors. We will just see how it turns out.

That said, I'll leave a little card here that says "I'm in" in the same sense as "I might, but then I might go find something better to do like staring at shiny things". I reserve the right to withdraw that card if said shiny things appear.

I hope you can stay.

@J-qb: I mean if you are a day or so over the deadline, a few points will be taken off.

Response to Avat - Art Signups 2011-06-06 07:25:12

I was thinking this might be some sort of single elimination tournament, wherein it consists of a bunch of two person duels between artists in rounds (like a tournament). I would be quite interested in that idea.

This is apparently just a regular competition, which is a little less interesting.

Aigis - Putting the 'ai' back in 'Aigis'.

BBS Signature

Response to Avat - Art Signups 2011-06-06 07:31:33

At 6/6/11 07:25 AM, Aigis wrote: I was thinking this might be some sort of single elimination tournament, wherein it consists of a bunch of two person duels between artists in rounds (like a tournament). I would be quite interested in that idea.

This is apparently just a regular competition, which is a little less interesting.

Yes, this seems so much more interesting. I am willing to allow your idea. Although won't this create hatrid between participants?

Response to Avat - Art Signups 2011-06-06 07:56:57

At 6/6/11 07:31 AM, SketchyEntertainment wrote: Yes, this seems so much more interesting. I am willing to allow your idea. Although won't this create hatrid between participants?

Hatred is the bellows to the fire of competition.

BBS Signature

Response to Avat - Art Signups 2011-06-06 10:37:48

I'm in. Let's do it.

BBS Signature

Response to Avat - Art Signups 2011-06-06 10:47:43

At 6/6/11 07:25 AM, Aigis wrote: I was thinking this might be some sort of single elimination tournament, wherein it consists of a bunch of two person duels between artists in rounds (like a tournament). I would be quite interested in that idea.

I dont agree; in a one against one battle kind of thing a lot of good artists might get kicked out of the tournament early because they were paired against a really good artist.
If you want to have a one against one kind of deal, I'd vouch for a soccer world-cup kind of thing where youve got an initial group stage from which the best 2 or 3 go through to the 4th- or 8th-finals so as to eliminate a bit of the chance.

BBS Signature

Response to Avat - Art Signups 2011-06-06 11:09:55

Sounds good, I'm in.

Response to Avat - Art Signups 2011-06-06 11:47:21

Seeing as I am going to have a lot of free time coming up over the next month hopefully.... sure count me in. Hopefully I wont have to drop out.

Any idea who the judges are?

Response to Avat - Art Signups 2011-06-06 12:28:40

At 6/6/11 06:05 AM, Lintire wrote: if you manage to rouse them from their drunken slumber

Hey, I represent that Remark

Oh and I'm in

why not, Its not like I have enough to do anyway.

Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature

Response to Avat - Art Signups 2011-06-06 14:37:09

Um.. So how is it going to be? Actual artist vs artist like aigis said or everyone on their own? Actual artist vs artist isn't very fair indeed, if you're against someone pretty good you're out even if you did stand a chance, but on the other hand, it spices things up a bit.
I'm interested in joining, but I'm waiting for further information before I actually confirm, I think.

Response to Avat - Art Signups 2011-06-06 17:43:14

Yes, you are correct. We will just leave it how it was already organised.

Response to Avat - Art Signups 2011-06-06 17:55:14

At 6/6/11 02:37 PM, Morthagg wrote: Um.. So how is it going to be? Actual artist vs artist like aigis said or everyone on their own? Actual artist vs artist isn't very fair indeed, if you're against someone pretty good you're out even if you did stand a chance, but on the other hand, it spices things up a bit.
I'm interested in joining, but I'm waiting for further information before I actually confirm, I think.

If we do this, anyone with a higher score than a winner of a one on one who didn't make it will continue to the next round as well. For example, John beats George, but Fred who lost his bout, had a higher score than the winner of another 'one-on-one' (John). Therefore Fred continues to the next round.

Does this sound fair?

Or shall we vote?

Response to Avat - Art Signups 2011-06-06 18:04:42

At 6/6/11 05:55 PM, SketchyEntertainment wrote:
If we do this, anyone with a higher score than a winner of a one on one who didn't make it will continue to the next round as well. For example, John beats George, but Fred who lost his bout, had a higher score than the winner of another 'one-on-one' (John). Therefore Fred continues to the next round.

Does this sound fair?

Or shall we vote?

Well, I think you shouldn't make it any mroe complicated than necessary. Either one on one or everyone draws and the people with the most points get to the next round. I would advise the latter, but that's just my opinion.

And I probably won't even enter, but I'm not sure yet.

BBS Signature

Response to Avat - Art Signups 2011-06-06 18:31:55

I guess I'll enter. Let's see where this goes

BBS Signature

Response to Avat - Art Signups 2011-06-06 18:44:52

Sounds great, count me in. =]

Response to Avat - Art Signups 2011-06-06 18:49:56

At 6/6/11 05:55 PM, SketchyEntertainment wrote:
At 6/6/11 02:37 PM, Morthagg wrote: artist vs artist ?

That way it would still just be score based; so it isnt really one vs one except for the theme...

BBS Signature

Response to Avat - Art Signups 2011-06-07 00:21:12

just stick to the original way it was going to run, its a lot less complicated and works out fine

Response to Avat - Art Signups 2011-06-07 00:54:49

Thanks for the PM! I was dubious, but this looks pretty cool. I'll put my name down.

Response to Avat - Art Signups 2011-06-07 01:45:24

At 6/7/11 12:21 AM, Ashman wrote: just stick to the original way it was going to run, its a lot less complicated and works out fine

Yes. Alright.

Also, welcome to everyone else.

Response to Avat - Art Signups 2011-06-07 03:20:06

I'm in (read the PM), I have a good deal of free time in my hand.

BBS Signature

Response to Avat - Art Signups 2011-06-07 04:13:10

Count me in too

Response to Avat - Art Signups 2011-06-07 04:14:14

Flowers reporting in!

Click on the sig!

Or my thread

BBS Signature

Response to Avat - Art Signups 2011-06-07 05:51:46

At 6/6/11 05:36 AM, SketchyEntertainment wrote:
Approved by TurkeyOnAStick.
Hello Newgrounds.

On Wednesday the 15th of June, an Artist vs Artist Tournament (AVAT) will start. This competition will consist of 3 rounds, with 1 week break in between each round. All rounds will go for 2 weeks, ensuring enough time for you to complete your art. However, if you cannot complete it, you can hand it in later, although penalties will be made.

I would love to take part. I'm from australia so I'll have to make allowances for time and date obviously but I would be happy to do some :) Can't wait for the theme.

Response to Avat - Art Signups 2011-06-07 05:52:43

I forgot to mention I will take part.

BBS Signature