00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

christopher54000 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Osama Got His Comeuppance

38,162 Views | 183 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Osama Got His Comeuppance 2011-05-02 09:47:35

As most of you have probably heard, US forces stormed a compound yesterday and killed Osama Bin Laden. It was a great victory for our troops and hopefully gives some sense of closure for the families who remain in our hearts almost a decade after the attacks of 9-11-01.

Here in NG land, the death of Bin Laden has brought things full circle. As I sat at my desk this past month making 140x90 thumbnails of crappy old kill-Osama games for the upcoming redesign, I felt lame that some of our most popular content of all time is hackneyed games tossed together by angry teenagers. I had to remind myself to put it in context; this was a major event that happened almost a decade ago and Newgrounds was the only site where people could respond in the form of games and movies.

There were a number of direct response movies to 9-11, followed by movies and games about Osama and ultimately Iraq.

In a way, it was our most culturally relevant period; everyone was telling me how their co-workers were on Newgrounds that day, I got to make an appearance on CNN and FOX News was showcasing some of the more popular submissions on TV.

Personally, I'm glad this period is over and I'm happy to see Newgrounds continue to move forward with larger creative ambitions. The death of Bin Laden feels like a transition point in our history and I hope that 100 years from now, people will browse the archives of NG and say "Man, those were crazy times back then."

Oh and GroggyLobster spent weeks making a new game, only to have his protagonist die the night before release.

WHOOOOOOOPS

PS - VOTE KID EXP (NOGFISH) for Best College DJ

Osama Got His Comeuppance

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Osama Got His Comeuppance 2011-05-02 09:49:18

Patriotic ey?

fu

Response to Osama Got His Comeuppance 2011-05-02 09:52:04

You think this will be the end of it, it's only the beginning.

Response to Osama Got His Comeuppance 2011-05-02 09:52:27

Good memories of the times when there were so many Bin Ladin flashes. Back in 2001 - 2003 they were all over the place.

onna site keikan/alt

«¥» «¥» «¥» «¥» «¥» «¥» «¥» «¥» «¥» «¥» «¥» «¥» «¥» «¥» «¥» «¥»

BBS Signature

Response to Osama Got His Comeuppance 2011-05-02 09:53:37

Reading about those old flashes reminds of this one.

GOD BLESS AMERICA!

Response to Osama Got His Comeuppance 2011-05-02 09:53:51

It's like the end of an era.

Response to Osama Got His Comeuppance 2011-05-02 09:54:32

Memories:

Rev 22:20 || Wi/Ht? # 46 || Why was my review deleted? || Without her, we are lifeless satellites drifting.

BBS Signature

Response to Osama Got His Comeuppance 2011-05-02 09:55:16

Listening to Toby Keith all day to commemorate our victory, despite listening to Toby Keith being a punishment to me.

Response to Osama Got His Comeuppance 2011-05-02 09:56:18

At 5/2/11 09:53 AM, EyeLovePoozy wrote: Reading about those old flashes reminds of this one.
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/37 558
GOD BLESS AMERICA!

Haha, that's the first one I thought of when reading this thread!

¥ ♡ ¥ BBS, Review and Chat Mod - PM for help or to snitch! ¥ ♡ ¥

¥ ♡ ¥ Sig pic by Pingu ¥ ♡ ¥

BBS Signature

Response to Osama Got His Comeuppance 2011-05-02 10:00:26

I heard that when a leader of an ideology dies, nothing changes. If anything, the leader becomes a martyr.

This too will pass.

Memento mori

BBS Signature

Response to Osama Got His Comeuppance 2011-05-02 10:00:41

The "War on Terrorism" era was my first beginnings here on NG,i would never get enough of watching the "Bad Dudes" guy punch the living shit out of Osama on the "War on Terrorism" collection page. :D

Of course i had to make an Osama flash in those days as well. :p

NOW IS WHEN YOU RAM HAPPY WITH LIFE SAUCE. PSN Screenname - Mooglejoke Wii U Network ID - Mooglejoke - Nintendo 3DS Friend Code 4768-8871-1657

BBS Signature

Response to Osama Got His Comeuppance 2011-05-02 10:01:55

No but seriously, I'm pretty sure U.S has killed allot more innocent people in Iraq and Afghanistan then any "terrorist" did.

fu

Response to Osama Got His Comeuppance 2011-05-02 10:11:04

I remember playing this in the PC lab at school:

¥ ♡ ¥ BBS, Review and Chat Mod - PM for help or to snitch! ¥ ♡ ¥

¥ ♡ ¥ Sig pic by Pingu ¥ ♡ ¥

BBS Signature

Response to Osama Got His Comeuppance 2011-05-02 10:11:06

Yes, he's dead! Now we can build up more mega-malls and invade more countries!!

Response to Osama Got His Comeuppance 2011-05-02 10:20:09

I wasn't around yet, back when all these Bin Laden flashes hit the portal, but I do remember that the Bin Laden section used to be a popular one. Even years after "9/11".

I did find some Bin Laden stuff from NG on other websites when I was 12-14 though. One I remember in particular is:

I remember a friend of mine showed it to me. We thought it was hilarious :)

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]

Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz

The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 5 May 2018)

BBS Signature

Response to Osama Got His Comeuppance 2011-05-02 10:23:29

Congratzz! Can't wait for redesign.

Response to Osama Got His Comeuppance 2011-05-02 10:26:12

At 5/2/11 10:01 AM, StalkerGuy wrote: No but seriously, I'm pretty sure U.S has killed allot more innocent people in Iraq and Afghanistan then any "terrorist" did.

Yeah, but those innocent people weren't American. So nobody cares.

Response to Osama Got His Comeuppance 2011-05-02 10:26:24

At 5/2/11 09:47 AM, TomFulp wrote: As most of you have probably heard, US forces stormed a compound yesterday and killed Osama Bin Laden. It was a great victory for our troops and hopefully gives some sense of closure for the families who remain in our hearts almost a decade after the attacks of 9-11-01.

"Happy Birdthday, Tom." :P

In terms of turning points, there's certainly something in the air. Been there for a while now. And events both joyful and disastrous seem to be happening at an increased rate.

TIME TO RIDE THE WAVE!

BBS Signature

Response to Osama Got His Comeuppance 2011-05-02 10:31:40

Nobody's gonna miss you, wanker!

I don't think I did any of those Bin Laden icons. Ah well.

Response to Osama Got His Comeuppance 2011-05-02 10:35:53

Hey, now that this fucker is dead, maybe airport security in general will chill and be less paranoid and invasive...

One can always dream, right?

Anyway, congratulations to the forces who were involved in the raid! They might not get virgins in heaven, but they'll probably get a hell lot of booty once they're back on US soil :P

Response to Osama Got His Comeuppance 2011-05-02 10:37:18

At 5/2/11 10:00 AM, Lost-Chances wrote: I heard that when a leader of an ideology dies, nothing changes. If anything, the leader becomes a martyr.

True. It happened with Muhammad, Jesus, Stephen (a disciple of Jesus who is worshipped as a martyr in Catholicism), etc...

It's probably going to happen to bin Laden too.

Two peanuts were walking down the street and one was assaulted. It cried, "Help! Help!" and the other peanut said, "A talking peanut? I must be going nuts!"

BBS Signature

Response to Osama Got His Comeuppance 2011-05-02 10:41:22

I miss those days.

Response to Osama Got His Comeuppance 2011-05-02 10:41:39

At 5/2/11 10:31 AM, Bahamut wrote: Nobody's gonna miss you, wanker!

Disregard that, there seems to be a problem with making fun of the death of Osama Bin Laden with mere TF2 lines.

Response to Osama Got His Comeuppance 2011-05-02 10:41:54

Hooray!

You must either upload a picture, or enter some text for your signature.

Response to Osama Got His Comeuppance 2011-05-02 10:55:25

I'm glad that bastard is dead, but the Muslim extremists are never going to dissapear fully down there the arab countries. Now they are probably pissed.

Response to Osama Got His Comeuppance 2011-05-02 10:58:48

THAt fucking guy deserved to fucking die! He is the fucking reason that the fucking twin towers collapsed! But mark my words this is NOT the end. Those fucking terrorist assholes are going to find a new leader, one thats even more of an asshole.

-Larry the monk

Response to Osama Got His Comeuppance 2011-05-02 11:00:35

Nice shot, he's dead. But this isn't over yet. Now all of his followers are going to think of him as Jesus and US forces as the Romans. I bet they'll try to devise some sort of revolution, that will eventually fail miserably.
Well, Osama Bin Laden, what your god wanted was in no way related to killing a bunch of people. Now you shall suffer the fate of traitors and villains: to burn forever in the deepest and darkest bowels of Hell's flames of hatred.

At least I hope he does. He damn well deserves it. I'm going to get flamed for saying this, aren't I? Go ahead, I'm just expressing my anger towards him.

BBS Signature

Response to Osama Got His Comeuppance 2011-05-02 11:08:31

At 5/2/11 09:52 AM, ChainsawNinjaZX wrote: You think this will be the end of it, it's only the beginning.

yeah I totaly agree.

HEY BOO!!!

BBS Signature

Response to Osama Got His Comeuppance 2011-05-02 11:09:40

At 5/2/11 09:47 AM, TomFulp wrote: "Man, those were crazy times back then."

And i joined the crazyness on NG around then.

What can i say, America got their man, it took 10 years, but it's "Job Done!" Congrats.

Look forward to the redesign. :)

Response to Osama Got His Comeuppance 2011-05-02 11:10:05

To be honest I don't give a shit about what happened to bin laden. He'd probably get a heart attack anyway.
Plus 9/11 still wasn't much compared to what american troops did to innocent civillians.

I'm probably gonna get flamed to hell and back for this, but whatever.

Boop the snoot

BBS Signature