00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Ykj03 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Official Duke Nukem Forever Thread

8,882 Views | 141 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Official Duke Nukem Forever Thread 2011-06-03 19:25:10

At 6/3/11 05:22 PM, RazorHawk wrote:
At 6/3/11 04:06 PM, UncleABCD wrote: I found the demo pleasantly average. Gearbox made some really odd design choices, a game that wanted to bank on nostalgia has QTEs, aim down sights, limited weapon slots (and no boot, wtf?). I don't even think Gearbox new what they were going for, having a very modern spin on Duke doesn't work. Duke still has his chauvinistic attitude, which is great, but removing the old-school mechanics just isn't working for me. It's like Gearbox is trying to appeal to both the nostalgic and modern gamer, but the demo felt like a very awkward mix of the two.
This. The demo was pretty good (ridiculously short though), but I liked the days of being able to carry every weapon, even if it seemed unrealistic. Seems to me like most of the game will be spent scavenging for whatever weapons are nearby and using them right away rather than saving the guns and ammo you want to use for later. Seems too much like a politically correct concept of being only able to carry a few guns as opposed to walking around being ridiculously loaded for bear, something I actually liked about the original Duke Nukem, Doom, and all those other early FPS games.

I'm still looking forward to the full game, but I hope this "modernizing" hasn't spoiled it.

After having played the demo I can agree with you when I say that the 2 biggest problems with the modernization are definitely only carrying 2 weapons, along with the health system. During the demo, your EGO meter, while it DOES recharge is laughably small (especially considering what it's supposed to represent). I used to be able actually rambo my way through pigcops, now it's all "Duck and cover", which is DEFINITELY not duke's style.

Response to Official Duke Nukem Forever Thread 2011-06-03 20:05:55

At 6/3/11 05:22 PM, RazorHawk wrote: I'm still looking forward to the full game, but I hope this "modernizing" hasn't spoiled it.

Oh I believe it has, unfortunately. I was disgusted with what I played. Biggest disappointment I've had in a while. It's just another generic modern shooter with Duke Nukem paint.

-The combat is slow and tedious.

-You can only carry two weapons that need to be frequently reloaded. Definitely doesn't feel like Duke.

- The health system is a joke that makes you feel weak and pathetic, having to hide behind shit and recover. This is not Duke Nukem.

- There is no boot, which is a huge nostalgic letdown. They should have just made the melee attack the classic Duke kick, instead of the current weapon you carry, similar to Halo.

- There were parts in the demo where you are just walking around, doing nothing with no enemies to shoot. This never happened in Duke 3D unless you were almost done with a level or something.

It's nothing like Duke Nukem 3D, which was what this was supposed to be like; A huge nostalgia trip for classic Duke 3D fans. But like I said, what we got is just another generic modern FPS with a Duke Nukem paint. I don't see why it couldn't just play like Duke 3D with modern graphics, not that graphics are an issue. It's like they mostly tried to cater to newer modern gamers by modernizing it too much.

I'm incredibly disappointed, and I don't see how the full game can be much better.

Response to Official Duke Nukem Forever Thread 2011-06-03 20:33:21

How anyone wasn't expecting to be disappointed I will never know. I've not played the demo yet, but so far I've heard nothing but bad things about it. After waiting so long for this game to be released people have grew more and more hyped for it, so it was never going to live up to expectations. This is the main reason that I never spent much time looking into this game.

I'm still going to try the demo out when I get the chance, but I knew people were going to be disappointed.

BBS Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!

BBS Signature

Response to Official Duke Nukem Forever Thread 2011-06-03 21:55:16

First thing I did was find the turd and play around with it. Also, I hope to God that it's more polished, wasn't impressed with 2nd level.

TEABAGGIN' AIN'T EASY

English Gents Club | 5th on PS3 Trophy Leaderboard | PSN: KillSwitch_Bob | Sig by Ryan

BBS Signature

Response to Official Duke Nukem Forever Thread 2011-06-03 22:32:29

Does anyone know when the early demo access is ending? I managed to get a hold of a code, but I can't use it until Sunday, just wondering if I should pass it on to someone else.

[Last.FM] [Steam ID]

Bros 4 lyfe (he dun did dis sig)

BBS Signature

Response to Official Duke Nukem Forever Thread 2011-06-03 22:36:41

At 6/3/11 08:05 PM, HeavyMetalGuy wrote: But like I said, what we got is just another generic modern FPS with a Duke Nukem paint.

My night and my expectations are now ruined.

Krbyfan1(kur-bee-fan-one)- A creature that resides in the state of Colorado. Distinguished by his size, love of small mammals, video games, and the anime series "Tenchi Muyo!"

BBS Signature

Response to Official Duke Nukem Forever Thread 2011-06-04 03:09:30

I found it fun. The only thing that brings it down is the weapon limit.

i dont give a fuck a million dollars im a samurai

BBS Signature

Response to Official Duke Nukem Forever Thread 2011-06-04 03:34:52

It is going to be released! Finally, a game that is allowed in Australia to be sold, yet took 12 FUCKING YEARS FRO DEVELOPMENT!

I still like Riven Riven Riven Riven Riven Riven Riven Riven Riven Riven Riven Riven!

BBS Signature

Response to Official Duke Nukem Forever Thread 2011-06-04 10:28:18

UGHUGUGUHUH I DONT LIKE CHANGE

shut up the demo was fine

Response to Official Duke Nukem Forever Thread 2011-06-04 11:27:18

Get it for the PC, because where there's a PC game, there's a modding community.

Don't pray for easy lives. Pray to be stronger men.

BBS Signature

Response to Official Duke Nukem Forever Thread 2011-06-04 11:45:45

To anyone that wants to get a hold of the PC demo message me. I've got a demo code I won't be redeeming so the first person who messages me can use it.

It's for the PC so keep that in mind.

BBS Signature

Response to Official Duke Nukem Forever Thread 2011-06-04 12:36:14

And it's gone, sorry folks.

BBS Signature

Response to Official Duke Nukem Forever Thread 2011-06-04 12:39:24

This game looks fucking terrible lmao.

さあ時の扉を開けて行こうよ

BBS Signature

Response to Official Duke Nukem Forever Thread 2011-06-04 15:04:14

Apparently this demo isn't from the final build, but from an earlier PAX demo. Don't know why they'd do that, but don't worry guys. This is an earlier build.

BBS Signature

Response to Official Duke Nukem Forever Thread 2011-06-04 16:43:06

At 6/4/11 03:04 PM, SloppyMoe606 wrote: Apparently this demo isn't from the final build, but from an earlier PAX demo. Don't know why they'd do that, but don't worry guys. This is an earlier build.

There's hope! They damn well better fix that weapon limit. And should allow you to kick shit freely like you can in 3D and postal 2.

They said I could become anything so I became everything.

BBS Signature

Response to Official Duke Nukem Forever Thread 2011-06-05 07:04:25

At 6/4/11 04:43 PM, Magic-Mushroom wrote:
There's hope! They damn well better fix that weapon limit. And should allow you to kick shit freely like you can in 3D and postal 2.

::And even more hope... for Australians! We won out bets on Duke! Aussie Aussie Aussie! Oi Oi Oi!

I still like Riven Riven Riven Riven Riven Riven Riven Riven Riven Riven Riven Riven!

BBS Signature

Response to Official Duke Nukem Forever Thread 2011-06-05 15:22:20

Downloaded the demo via Steam and early access thing. Sad thing is when I get to the first boss, it tells me to repeatedly press Spacebar to finish it off. No matter how hard I press the Spacebar, it does not work at all. Duke does absolutely nothing. The spacebar works outside of it, I can jump and junk, but it just doesn't work. Anyone else having this issue?

Response to Official Duke Nukem Forever Thread 2011-06-05 15:50:57

At 6/5/11 03:22 PM, FlaminSquirrel wrote: spacebar

Well I feel like an idiot now. Just solved my own problem. Sorry for double post.

Playing through the demo, and it's... okay. Nothing really outstanding about it but it has its own... er, Duke-styled charm to it. It's fun, but was it worth waiting twelve years? I don't really know, but hey, always bet on Duke. As a normal, stand-alone game, it's fun yet doesn't really make itself too out there. It feels like it's playing safe, having just enough to be fun without throwing in new material to make it too new or too different. The humor is pretty much what you'd expect from Duke. The graphics are an overall meh. Seriously, it ranges from poor quality to average. It does look like a game from 2007 or something. I found it kinda fun, but don't really expect anything major from it.

Response to Official Duke Nukem Forever Thread 2011-06-05 21:19:00

Well, I just finished the demo now. Spent about 30 minutes dealing with graphical issues, which was lame.

Down to the actual demo, they certainly captured Duke, very well, and basically everything besides the actual gameplay, was charming and funny, made me laugh, and gave me some giddy nostalgic feelings.

The gameplay was nothing special, I absolutely dislike the regenerating health, and the weapon limit. I did not like the driving, the controls were just.. kind of awkward, they way the camera reacted as well. I don't know why they would put driving in a Duke game anyway, unless it involved shooting stuff, I'm hoping they didn't include more driving sections, but I'm sure they did. I also didn't like how I hardly didn't fight at all in the mines, there were just mind numbingly boring puzzles.

Aside from the bad... the actual gun play was pretty fun, and I dunno, it felt pretty nostalgic. I was actually just hoping for a pretty DN3D, but oh well. This is definetly a "Pick up when it's $20 or less" title.

The whiteboard was fun too. :p

[Last.FM] [Steam ID]

Bros 4 lyfe (he dun did dis sig)

BBS Signature

Response to Official Duke Nukem Forever Thread 2011-06-06 03:54:32

I don't see where all the hate's coming from. I enjoyed seeing Duke back in action.
The whole demo seemed fine, the weapons look cool, the gore is nice, and the oneliners are there as always.

My only gripes I guess would be the ''realism'' gimmick bullshit. They really should have just stuck to classic DN3D style. I enjoy being able to stockpile and save all your weapons kinda like resident evil 4. 2 weapons is kinda BS compared to other games. And my other complaint like I said before is not being able to mighty boot shit any time you want.
I liked how in postal 2 you could just press Q and kick anything you wanted. I would really like them to fix that.

The red flash shit prolly wasn't such a good idea, I don't mind it THAT much but still it can get annoying at times. But oh well.

And if I'm correct it's an earlier build (maybe 2010 idk) so they might have changed and polished enough shit to make everything shine.

And last but far from least, anyone bitching about the graphics can go screw themself. I am very happy with them and even on a shitty friends computer I was getting 50-60 fps on full graphics.

BBS Signature

Response to Official Duke Nukem Forever Thread 2011-06-06 06:39:45

I have been hearing a lot of "ohh man its gonna be shit". Well lots of these gamers havent truly played Duke nukem and Gearbox have tried their best to match the gameplay of Duke Nukem 3D and they have. All the gamers who think that the game is terrible havent truly played a Duke nukem game before. So stick that in your pipe and smoke it

cherry garcia: its like having an angel cum in your mouth

BBS Signature

Response to Official Duke Nukem Forever Thread 2011-06-06 10:42:00

At 6/6/11 06:39 AM, therealanimator wrote: I have been hearing a lot of "ohh man its gonna be shit". Well lots of these gamers havent truly played Duke nukem and Gearbox have tried their best to match the gameplay of Duke Nukem 3D and they have. All the gamers who think that the game is terrible havent truly played a Duke nukem game before. So stick that in your pipe and smoke it

I think the graphics are gonna be a bit disappointing because it's a game which started development in 2009, but I've played every other DN game so far so I still know it's gonna be awesome.

[Hidden Audio Gems]

SoundCloud || YouTube || Facebook

PM me for constructive reviews, collaborations or commissions!

BBS Signature

Response to Official Duke Nukem Forever Thread 2011-06-06 13:42:55

People are expecting WAY to much. It took so long because gearbox had to pick up the pieces after 3DRealms imploded. They're giving it their all.

BBS Signature

Response to Official Duke Nukem Forever Thread 2011-06-06 14:12:09

At 6/4/11 03:04 PM, SloppyMoe606 wrote: Apparently this demo isn't from the final build, but from an earlier PAX demo. Don't know why they'd do that, but don't worry guys. This is an earlier build.

THIS THIS!! LOOK AT THIS YOU FUCKING IDIOTS!!! The demo is an older version. The final game will be different.

Although I think it was fucking retarded of them to release a demo that doesn't entirely represent the final game. It's only put a lot of people off from the game. Way to be fucking idiots Gearbox, if you promise a demo at least make it good.

Response to Official Duke Nukem Forever Thread 2011-06-06 15:37:11

At 6/6/11 02:12 PM, ian4678 wrote: THIS THIS!! LOOK AT THIS YOU FUCKING IDIOTS!!! The demo is an older version. The final game will be different.

so you think since pax they completely revamped the weapon and health system? lmao...

Response to Official Duke Nukem Forever Thread 2011-06-06 21:25:26

At 6/6/11 03:37 PM, GiantDouche wrote:
At 6/6/11 02:12 PM, ian4678 wrote: THIS THIS!! LOOK AT THIS YOU FUCKING IDIOTS!!! The demo is an older version. The final game will be different.
so you think since pax they completely revamped the weapon and health system? lmao...

I don't imagine it taking a year to remove a weapon limit.

BBS Signature

Response to Official Duke Nukem Forever Thread 2011-06-08 13:32:15

At 6/6/11 09:25 PM, Magic-Mushroom wrote:
At 6/6/11 03:37 PM, GiantDouche wrote:
I don't imagine it taking a year to remove a weapon limit.

Point is they aren't going to change two of the fundamental design aspects since the demo. That's why they released the demo with a weapons limit and regenerating health, if neither of those things were in the final game why wouldn't they change it for the demo or why wouldn't they clarify?

Response to Official Duke Nukem Forever Thread 2011-06-14 01:57:24

Am I just retarded or is tapping the space bar at the first boss not working?
I downloaded it on steam.

Response to Official Duke Nukem Forever Thread 2011-06-14 02:10:22

At 6/14/11 01:57 AM, Squidbit wrote: Am I just retarded or is tapping the space bar at the first boss not working?
I downloaded it on steam.

Nevermind, I guess I was just tapping too fast... Once I tapped slowly it worked.

Response to Official Duke Nukem Forever Thread 2011-06-14 07:14:23

Did anyone get through the Hive yet? That place is fucking insane, I can barely find my way in there. And those purple-light-ball-thingies are freaking hard to control.

[Hidden Audio Gems]

SoundCloud || YouTube || Facebook

PM me for constructive reviews, collaborations or commissions!

BBS Signature