00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Boochingi just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Fighting Games coming back?

793 Views | 13 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Fighting Games coming back? 2010-06-30 17:43:36

Marvel versus Capcom 3, Super Street Fighter Four, Mortal Kombat... I hope it stays this way with fighting games.

You don't quit NEWGROUNDS, NEWGROUNDS quits YOU.

Response to Fighting Games coming back? 2010-06-30 18:00:02

Did they really go away? I mean, I know they took a hit when arcades went away, but did they ever truly fade out of existence, or lose relevance?
There's been popular fighting games on every home console I've ever owned.

Response to Fighting Games coming back? 2010-06-30 18:03:07

At 6/30/10 06:00 PM, Samen wrote: Did they really go away? I mean, I know they took a hit when arcades went away, but did they ever truly fade out of existence, or lose relevance?

idk it just seems like recently they haven't been getting much action.

You don't quit NEWGROUNDS, NEWGROUNDS quits YOU.

Response to Fighting Games coming back? 2010-06-30 18:25:18

I never knew that they died. O.o

Response to Fighting Games coming back? 2010-06-30 19:30:49

Over the last year or so we've seen two King Of Fighters games, Street Fighter 4, Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo HD Remix, MvC2 ported to 360 and PS3. Two BlazBlue games, Tekken 6. The fighting genre went nowhere.

instagram.com/five_mile_smile

BBS Signature

Response to Fighting Games coming back? 2010-06-30 19:31:24

Really? Ive always heard about fightingames. LOL

Let's kill any fucking meme, k?

BBS Signature

Response to Fighting Games coming back? 2010-06-30 19:34:05

At 6/30/10 06:03 PM, CapnTater wrote:
At 6/30/10 06:00 PM, Samen wrote: Did they really go away? I mean, I know they took a hit when arcades went away, but did they ever truly fade out of existence, or lose relevance?
idk it just seems like recently they haven't been getting much action.

They're just not getting as much media attention as they deserve, or used to, when compared to more popular genres like first and third person shooters.
And if you count SSB and boxing / wrestling games, too...

Response to Fighting Games coming back? 2010-06-30 20:03:04

At 6/30/10 06:25 PM, KeroKeroMario wrote: I never knew that they died. O.o

They didn't so much "die" as "go on vacation". Now, they're back from vacation, in a big damn way, with a good share of the credit going to Capcom and nostalgic fans. Praise Capcom, who defined the fighting genre and called it back from parts unknown!

Response to Fighting Games coming back? 2010-06-30 22:46:55

Yes, they're back!!

I AM THE LIZARD KING, I CAN DO ANYTHING

Response to Fighting Games coming back? 2010-07-01 10:49:10

Well, fighting games are not as popular as back in the 90's, but I wouldn't say they "went on vacation". Of course the genre has been stuck, after introducing the Combos and Supers in the mid 90's, they haven't evolved much. That doesn't mean there aren't good new fighting games... But I guess there hasn't been too much attention on them since we got 3D games.

But still, my favorite fighting games are kinda old... The King of Fighters '98, Marvel vs Capcom and Capcom vs SNK 2.

Las Vicaventuras.com Home of Resivic Evil, El Gamer Cosplayer and The LPW. Only parodies and funny stuff :P

Response to Fighting Games coming back? 2010-07-01 16:36:52

At 6/30/10 05:43 PM, CapnTater wrote: Marvel versus Capcom 3, Super Street Fighter Four, Mortal Kombat... I hope it stays this way with fighting games.

You forgot Blazblue that game is awesome...but yeah I can't wait for Marvel vs Capcom 3.

Alucard > Edward

BBS Signature

Response to Fighting Games coming back? 2010-07-01 21:44:29

At 6/30/10 11:26 PM, Liquify wrote: They were never really gone, more like just overshadowed by the FPS craze... Oh how I want the craze to die...

Well, if you can think of another genre of games that takes advantage of HD graphics and online play as well as the FPS, let us know.