00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

soniccrackers23 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Mario levels: originality

925 Views | 9 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Mario levels: originality 2010-06-28 16:23:06

I jut bought "New Super Mario Bros Wii" and "Super Mario Galaxy 2" for the Wii, cause I esteem them to be quality over all the other crap consisting of asinine mini games Wii tends to offer.
My GF uttered that she finds Mario games boring, cause as a platformer the concept is always the same: jump from platform to platform and stomp on enemies.

Personally I find that Mario games have evolved over time and aside from the 3D evolution, platform games have added a lot of original missions and puzzles, for example, bosses tend to require some strategy to defeat them.

What do you find the most original level/ boss Mario games have had to offer yet?
Note for you smartasses, Im aiming at mario platform games, not doctor mario or mario vs sonic olympics etcetera...

RubberJournal: READY DOESN'T EVEN BEGIN TO DESCRIBE IT!

Mathematics club: we have beer and exponentials.

Cartoon club: Cause Toons>> Charlie Sheen+Raptor

Response to Mario levels: originality 2010-06-28 17:05:04

Personally, as far as boss battles go, I enjoyed the Tap-tap the Red Nose battle in Yoshi's Island.
You have to break open the floor consisting of heavy bouncy blocks and then push the boss in. Major demolition opportunity.

Response to Mario levels: originality 2010-06-28 17:18:45

Bowser at the end of Super Mario Bros. 3 is original, you don't even jump on him. You have to make him ground pound on the brick floor until he falls through. It's also really hard...

At 5/11/59 09:17 PM, Wolverine said:

| No no-neck redneck dumps on my wife and gets away with it!

BBS Signature

Response to Mario levels: originality 2010-06-29 15:36:07

Come on then, some of you should have been awed over one of the mario games. If you didn't I would say it is hole in your VG culture.

Response to Mario levels: originality 2010-06-29 15:52:08

The levels in SMG2 were fun, but I didn't like how it would be a bunch of easy, cool stuff, and then SUPER HARD RAPE FESTIVAL.

Steam ID: Major Sergeant Johnsonmanberg

It's been a while, hasn't it?

BBS Signature

Response to Mario levels: originality 2010-06-29 17:49:21

I agree with every level being original in Mario galaxies. I never find Mario boring, its always fun with each level changing it up a bit. I always loved the boss battles too.

Hey, I'm Jonathan. Call me Jonny. I have a computer. You probably don't.

Oh no, up is falling down!

Xbox Live: F1rst Play3r

BBS Signature

Response to Mario levels: originality 2010-06-29 19:54:42

At 6/29/10 06:21 PM, Blaze-Heatnix wrote: I don't understand how the bosses in Mario games can be pathetically easy, yet some of the levels are really fucking hard.

Maybe boss battles can be something of a reward for players. They spend hours trying to get past one really hard part in a level, after which they can beat the shit out of a 'hard' boss character. After easily taking out the boss, the player may gain satisfaction that they've improved.

We had some good times, Newgrounds.

BBS Signature

Response to Mario levels: originality 2010-06-30 00:15:20

At 6/28/10 04:40 PM, JaccoNL wrote: Every single level in Super Mario Galaxy is original.

Yeah. I'm doing 2-player Super Mario Galaxy with a friend, and we've cleared about 12 stars. So far, the whole thing is one huge acid trip. I mean this in a good way. The levels are so weird, wacky, and insane. We're still thinking "What's next?" at the start of every level.

Response to Mario levels: originality 2010-06-30 23:47:00

Mario level = Originality?Creative for the most part yes
Well That can be the case with some of the 3d platformers , There was just something I've Noticed in SMG2 that they'd basically redesigned that 2nd world you visted in super mario 64 so you can't exactly say it was completely original.

Response to Mario levels: originality 2010-07-01 07:14:17

2 D Mario games had some creativity as well. In particular Yoshi's Island was pretty sweet. Each level had its own name referring to the challenge. On of the hardest levels in the standard game, Keep moving, featured a first part where you have to run from those giant bowow things and every platform you stepped on exploded. So while you were running you couldn't turn back at all. It was nice.