00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

TheAntking just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Valve = Dick

1,362 Views | 18 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Valve = Dick 2010-03-30 18:47:13

Its a "bitching" thread so just step out if you don't feel like hearing it. I try to remain composed and not just arrogant-sounding.

Alright. So we've pussy-footed around Half-Life like it were a diseased rodent, we've gotten bigger and better at making series that attract hordes faster than pipe bombs and car alarms. Okay, we have Left 4 Dead, a money-making series. Fine, we escaped the claws of the "OMG WTF VALVE - NEW SURVIVORS!? EFF OFF VALVE" people by making some suitable new protagonists. ALRIGHT WE LIED and the storyline is no more connected or sensible than it was in the last game other than the "hint" of travel between dialogue, and yes, we got some laughs through the "Keith" stories.

And now, we are releasing DLC. And that DLC will, YAY, feature the ORIGINAL SURVIVORS everyone was so gay for prior to Left 4 Dead 2's release. BUT WAIT - THEY ONLY APPEAR DURING TWO LEVELS!? LVLGASP! That's too bad...

Oh well, it'll be funny seeing Louis and Ellis...

BU-BU-WAIT!?

ONE OF THE SURVIVORS WON'T MAKE IT TO SPRING!?

BU-BU, Chet..CHET he said that Ellis would have a crush on Zoey and...and...uh, FRANCIS and NICK would get pissed at each other! That leaves...

Bill and Louis.

Let me take a guess based on the stereotypes of our modern world.

Bill is an old war veteran, it makes NO SENSE how he survives as well as he does considering his age AND his smoking addiction, his crab-ass personality, and etc. He also went through an entire game and would be the most likely to sacrifice himself given what little backstory we have on him (look it up)...

But 80% of the time says it will, indeed, be LOUIS who dies. Why? Because he's the black survivor. The ONLY black survivor in the original. And what does that mean? Like so many other media, from movies to videogames, we can easily skirt this by following the pattern of the fact that the BLACK GUY ALWAYS dies in the movie!

Yes, we're defying all logic, Louis is going to die. WHY NOT. I mean, ONE of them has to go RIGHT? RIGHT? Why NOT the black guy? Nobody'd feel comfortable since putting him in would mean there are now THREE BLACK CHARACTERS, no one'd miss him. WHY NOT.

Hey, to add to the suspense, let's release a DIGITAL COMIC that will say who ACTUALLY DIES, and let's not try to go the route of the Halo series and release the book prequel AFTER THE GAME so we don't leave anyone knowing WHO DIES before they notice that the DLC only shows THREE SURVIVORS.

So, to conclude. We kill the black guy since we have two spare black survivors, we give you the origiinal SURVIVORS NON PLAYABLE for TWO cameo levels, and we ONLY show you three of them.

Happy 4th of July L4D fans!

I would punch him in the face.

Response to Valve = Dick 2010-03-30 18:50:32

They can kill off a character if they feel like it.Simple as that.

BBS Signature

Response to Valve = Dick 2010-03-30 19:07:00

Bill is the wise old leader of the group. It is tradition for a leader to sacrifice himself for the survival of his team.

BBS Signature

Response to Valve = Dick 2010-03-30 19:07:40

omg valve relese ep 3 plz

GT - LedgeyNG, Steam - Ledgey91, PSN - LedgeyNG

BBS Signature

Response to Valve = Dick 2010-03-30 19:08:50

Its not really even that that's bothering me.

What really ticks me off is that when FIRST I FOUND OUT that they would only appear in TWO LEVELS, and they'll be more like "on the sidelines" like how Father Grigori was in Half-Life 2 during the Ravenholm section (imagine that but with LEFT 4 DEAD LENGTH AND ATTRITION). So the role of the Survivors really is a...4-minute cameo, at best. That's the selling point of the game - nothing new except for a "Bride Witch" and a crappy new Special Infected. But now, they are missing for three out of five levels, but there's also now only THREE.

Excuses, in any way shape or form?

I'm not saying they had to be in EVERY LAST LEVEL so the budget/development time would be ravaged, but does killing off a memorable character add ANY resonance, no, Valve doesn't live to serve me. But come on, their bullshit has been building up for awhile. Is there any reason at all? This plot point, IMO, would have been PERFECT almost anywhere else, but no, they just go off and die. Whose next? Left 4 Dead 3 = Ellis dies?

Its like they keep trimming nose hairs one by one and they keep trying to see HOW FAR into the nose they can go before a brick crashes through one of their office's windows.

I know this is a horrible example for Newground, but say in Halo 4 they decide:

"Hmmm....the game is really long. Let's have Master Chief KILLED OFF in the BEGINNING of the game and have it ignored by most of the characters until his battlefield funeral in Level 8 or whatever, so we can cut down on the costs of voice acting from OTHER LESS IMPORTANT OR NOTABLE cameos/characters."

Or in GOW, what if they killed Dom or Cole or Baird (if they didn't have another Carmine to kill by then) randomly in like the FIRST LEVEL they reappeared in?

Or in WoW, if Jaina Proudmoore were to suddenly DROP OFF THE FACE OF THE EARTH just so that they could decrease the space in the Alliance the game has to process? Or if in LoZ Link...

You get the point.

Response to Valve = Dick 2010-03-30 19:12:25

(Pardon the double post)

At 3/30/10 07:07 PM, Tobi wrote: Bill is the wise old leader of the group. It is tradition for a leader to sacrifice himself for the survival of his team.

Even if you weren't being serious, that's another logical thing as well. But Louis will STILL die, because if Valve doesn't come up with the line "People are gay for Bill", it'll be another "Kill the black guy situation". Valve pulled this out of their ass at the last second, I mean come on, the CAMPAIGN POSTER ITSELF shows all four Survivors standing there, and the poster looked pretty well done apart from the Survivors themselves.

"Nobody survives forever."

Response to Valve = Dick 2010-03-30 19:24:55

Damn, I haven't seen this much histeria over a character's death since Aeris.

When all else fails, blame the casuals!

BBS Signature

Response to Valve = Dick 2010-03-30 19:54:04

Then dont get the DLC.I think youre getting far too annoyed by this.Its just a game.

BBS Signature

Response to Valve = Dick 2010-03-30 23:28:46

Valve gives us cheap games, free DLC, and epic storylines and you call them dicks? Piss off.

BBS Signature

Response to Valve = Dick 2010-03-30 23:37:31

Bill is a bad ass military vet, Louis is a whiny little bitch from accounting, who do you think would survive?

<<Back

Kunera-"But it was just a boner."

BBS Signature

Response to Valve = Dick 2010-03-30 23:51:35

And it got delayed. I don't know why but for some reason I actually believed they would stay true to their release date.

KILL ALL SONS A BITCHES.

BBS Signature

Response to Valve = Dick 2010-03-30 23:53:47

How do you know who will die? How do you know how will the other characters react to their dead?

I say Bill will die. He's too old for this shit.

i deserve death

dont click the link this account is shit and fuck me

BBS Signature

Response to Valve = Dick 2010-03-30 23:53:51

At 3/30/10 11:37 PM, Johnny-chimp-0 wrote: Bill is a bad ass military vet, Louis is a whiny little bitch from accounting, who do you think would survive?

Louis is, like, 25 years old. And he's a systems analyst, mind you.
Bill has been through 'Nam, is 57+ years old, shattered knee, etc.
Besides, it's probably going to be randomly selected.

Steam ID: Major Sergeant Johnsonmanberg

It's been a while, hasn't it?

BBS Signature

Response to Valve = Dick 2010-03-31 01:49:33

Nobody cares about your opinions.

Note how I said OPINIONS.

We had some good times, Newgrounds.

BBS Signature

Response to Valve = Dick 2010-04-11 18:30:59

At 3/30/10 11:53 PM, Androu1 wrote: How do you know who will die? How do you know how will the other characters react to their dead?

I say Bill will die. He's too old for this shit.

It has been confirmed that Zoey and Francis will be there because Ellis is "supposed to develop a crush on her" and "Nick and Francis will exchange 'friendly' banter".

I'm saying I "know" because really, who do you think is going to die? If they kill Bill, people will get mad because some people are Bill-lovers, and if they kill Louis, few will respond. And I'm sick of seeing that situation.

At 3/31/10 01:49 AM, Greenfrost6 wrote: Nobody cares about your opinions.

Note how I said OPINIONS.

Did I bash anyone else's? So far, everyone's been bashing mine.

Response to Valve = Dick 2010-04-11 18:59:25

But 80% of the time says it will, indeed, be LOUIS who dies. Why? Because he's the black survivor. The ONLY black survivor in the original. And what does that mean? Like so many other media, from movies to videogames, we can easily skirt this by following the pattern of the fact that the BLACK GUY ALWAYS dies in the movie!

So just because Louis is supposed to die, people think it's racist because he's African American? What a strange world we live in. Next thing you know people will bash Resident Evil 5 for having AFRICAN zombies, in a game which takes place IN AFRICA. My, my, the rage continues.

Besides, Louis is prone to dying because of all those PEELZ he's been taking.

Valve = Dick

Response to Valve = Dick 2010-04-11 22:04:24

ok your calling valve a dick why?because they killed off a character?,Because they give us free FREE DLC? your another angry l4d fan complaining.sure the frist cast was great, but somtimes you need change who in the hell cares that its only a short cameo and you cant play as them but atleast you can see them in a new game.if you dont like dont play it.i bet you where one of the people in the whole l4d 2 boycot.valve gives us free DLC and great games that are cheap so yeah

Valve = Dick

I don't hate anybody. even if you occasionally piss me off.

The Man who made my Sig

I am a huge brony.

BBS Signature

Response to Valve = Dick 2010-04-12 09:40:50

At 4/11/10 10:04 PM, Mrmongooseman wrote: ok your calling valve a dick why?because they killed off a character?,Because they give us free FREE DLC? your another angry l4d fan complaining.sure the frist cast was great, but somtimes you need change who in the hell cares that its only a short cameo and you cant play as them but atleast you can see them in a new game.if you dont like dont play it.i bet you where one of the people in the whole l4d 2 boycot.valve gives us free DLC and great games that are cheap so yeah

Oh you

fillerfillerfillerfillerfillerfillerfill erfillerfillerfillerfillerfillerfillerfi llerfillerfillerfillerfillerfillerfiller fillerfillerfillerfiller

Valve = Dick

(Back from the dead!)

Thanks to TheWolfe for letting me steal his sig.

BBS Signature

Response to Valve = Dick 2010-04-12 10:17:24

Bill is going to die.

I've been refurbished and reissued, prepackaged and precooked, decontaminated and deloused, but I still smell, sound, look and feel like shit.

New to the video game forums?

BBS Signature