00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Lmaoghosthh just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Maybe a collab Story?

2,534 Views | 56 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Maybe a collab Story? 2010-02-27 11:51:30

I was just curious, and maybe some people could do this, but what about a collab story? I had an idea as a comedic version of Dante's Inferno were each writer would describe one circle of hell.

There wouldn't really be a point to it, just for kicks.

Anyone interested?

The writer must write what he has to say, not speak it. - E. Hemingway

Response to Maybe a collab Story? 2010-02-27 12:56:13

Count me in! That would be AWESOME!

"It is not true that not nothing is not impossible, though this is a lie."

Response to Maybe a collab Story? 2010-02-27 12:58:51

I might be willing to do Gluttony.

Response to Maybe a collab Story? 2010-02-27 13:19:36

At 2/27/10 12:58 PM, OrgasmWoodChipper wrote: I might be willing to do Gluttony.

This circle will have a McDonalds Store at every corner, an the Guy of KFC is the ruler of that realm ^^

Response to Maybe a collab Story? 2010-02-27 14:46:37

At 2/27/10 01:19 PM, DaelJericho wrote:
At 2/27/10 12:58 PM, OrgasmWoodChipper wrote: I might be willing to do Gluttony.
This circle will have a McDonalds Store at every corner, an the Guy of KFC is the ruler of that realm ^^

Damn, I alreayd ahd an idea for gluttony. All the time sthere s teh smell of bacon and hamburgers in teh air, but tehres nothing to eat while teh Arch demon is sitting tehre saying stuff like "Love the smell of bacon in the morning. Oh! ANd Krispy Kreme donuts!"

But sure, you can do it. Right now we need more people. I fyou guys can think of anyone who might like to help, ask them.

Response to Maybe a collab Story? 2010-02-27 16:48:20

While comedy isn't my strong suite, I can give it a go. Part of improving one's writing is practicing in genres usually not dabbled in no?

I can take almost any circle, though some are easier to make amusing than others.

Response to Maybe a collab Story? 2010-02-27 17:00:57

I think we have enough people to start divvvying out circles.

9 circles:
1. Limbo
2. Lust
3. Glutton
4. Hoarders and Money seekers (greedy)
5. Anger and Sullen
6. Heresy
7. Violent
8. Fake
9. Traitors

1 is least worse, 9 is worst

take your pick

Response to Maybe a collab Story? 2010-02-27 17:04:19

I'm up for either limbo or lust. But I can try any of them really.

Response to Maybe a collab Story? 2010-02-27 18:55:07

I call shotgun on the 8. Circle with its 8 rifts. And I would like to write the beginning of the tale, if its ok and noone else dies if I do.

Response to Maybe a collab Story? 2010-02-27 18:59:10

I think TrevorW is already going to write a poem for the beginning, unless you really want to, in which case I can just get him to do a poem to start off teh story

You know like "Poem about hell" and then story begins

some books do it

Response to Maybe a collab Story? 2010-02-27 19:02:17

At 2/27/10 05:00 PM, TheSubject666 wrote:
9 circles:
1. Limbo (possibly SW)
2. Lust (possibly SW)
3. Glutton (OWC)
5. Anger and Sullen
6. Heresy
7. Violent
8. Fake (Dael)
9. Traitors

check out teh quote, I revised it to include the people who called dibs.

also, Dael, by fake I mean liers (lyers? screw it, people who lie abotu shit. like spelling. fucking MS word) and so on

Response to Maybe a collab Story? 2010-02-27 19:09:59

Yeah, I get it. In the original Tale there are every sort of blacklegs and liars. I can't imagine a worse fraud than a transvestite who assures you she is a she ;)

And just to get it clear: With the beginning I mean the whole "In the midpoint of Journeys Life I found myself..." creepy forest stuff. If someone already have it, that is ok with me.

Response to Maybe a collab Story? 2010-02-27 19:17:36

I call 9, I think it seems the most interesting for me to write about.

Response to Maybe a collab Story? 2010-02-27 19:19:22

Oh, and here you'll find the original as online-text: Dante's Inferno(Original) I have it as .doc and .abw on my computer but the dumping grounds does not support textfiles. So if you wish to have the piece on your own hardware, just PM me. It's perfectly legal, I assure you.

Response to Maybe a collab Story? 2010-02-27 19:27:55

At 2/27/10 07:02 PM, TheSubject666 wrote:
9 circles:
1. Limbo (possibly SW)
2. Lust (possibly SW)
3. Glutton (OWC)
5. Anger and Sullen
6. Heresy
7. Violent
8. Fake (Dael)
9. Traitors (Wiz)

I was thinking for the beginning TrevorW could write a poem in a creepy Dante like style (hes good at it, he sent me a sample) but instead of Dante the main character could be a fratboy ro someone like taht who accidently stumbles upon hell, or in a drunken stupor sees it as a vision.

Just an idea. thoughts? Also, revised list above in quote ^^^^

Response to Maybe a collab Story? 2010-02-27 19:29:18

Is it alright if I tackle the intro + limbo maybe? I already have a story in the works that's a sort of dark comedy about a guy who goes to saint peter's gate only to be told 'hah, like anyone gets into heaven' and sent to hell.

I think as far as organizing goes, we should just determine an order for all of us to do the stories and then do it sort of like where one person just follows on it and we all just kind of daisy chain shit until it feels done.

Response to Maybe a collab Story? 2010-02-27 19:32:46

Since Limbo seems to be a bit up for grabs, I'll settle with lust.

Response to Maybe a collab Story? 2010-02-27 19:42:54

At 2/27/10 07:29 PM, Ass-Crumb wrote: Is it alright if I tackle the intro + limbo maybe? I already have a story in the works that's a sort of dark comedy about a guy who goes to saint peter's gate only to be told 'hah, like anyone gets into heaven' and sent to hell.

I had something in mind like this: "In the midpoint of life's Journey I found myself taken to a damn ride! Hell, I just ditched a goddamn crusade, fighting for god and all like that and all I get is a creepy forest!? I mean, come on god - lets face it - this is bullshit." - or something ^^

Also, we should stick to first person or at least agree to one perspective.

Response to Maybe a collab Story? 2010-02-27 21:15:36

At 2/27/10 07:27 PM, TheSubject666 wrote:
9 circles:
1. Limbo (Ass Crumb)
2. Lust (SW)
3. Glutton (OWC)
4. Greed
5. Anger and Sullen
6. Heresy
7. Violent
8. Fake (Dael)
9. Traitors (Wiz)

Revised list in quote ^^^

but guys, the point isn't to parody Dante's Inferno, but only the Nine circles of Hell. We DO NOT need to follow the structure of the original poem, but we should use it for ideas on what punishments should be in the circles, and so on. I don't want it to be VERY similar to Inferno. Slightly, yes, in the ideas and movement from circles to circle, but change things up a bit.

I have some notes for Characters and personalities.

POV: 1st person

Main Character: HAven't though of a name, but he's a sarcastic wisecracker, not over the top or too far, only eerynow and then saying some funny things (OR) College frat boy, stupid as shit, makes bad jokes all the time (OR) someone who tries more often to make jokes, but is mainly teh same person as the first personality

Beezlebub (instead of Virgil): Personality of a used cars salesman, sometimes drops his act and freaks out. Fetish for blood(optional, jsut felt like adding it)

Satan: Personality of a used car sales man/ slave master, always seems nice and friendly.

Thoughts on personalities? NOTE: These are not permanent, just ideas.

Also, any other characters? If you have questions about these PM me or ask on this thread.

Thanks, Subject

Response to Maybe a collab Story? 2010-02-27 21:37:48

Meh, ill take The Seventh Circle of Violence. Itll be nice to describe gorish torture and body parts. Because thats what violence is about right?

Also, what is his reason exactly to enter the nine circles of hell?

Sig done by LifeStream

BBS Signature

Response to Maybe a collab Story? 2010-02-27 21:43:20

At 2/27/10 09:15 PM, TheSubject666 wrote:
At 2/27/10 07:27 PM, TheSubject666 wrote:
9 circles:
1. Limbo (Ass Crumb)
2. Lust (SW)
3. Glutton (OWC)
4. Greed
5. Anger and Sullen
6. Heresy
7. Violent (Dan)
8. Fake (Dael)
9. Traitors (Wiz)

Revised list in quote ^^^

I was thinking he accidently stumbles upon some passage way, or he falls asleep and has a vision, or he dies (or almost dies) and gets a newbie tour of hell.

You know, like a tour around the NG General Forum. (had to, srry)

Response to Maybe a collab Story? 2010-02-28 00:55:10

While we should try to keep personalities the same, the characters will be different in each circle, as they are being presented by different writers. It's unavoidable, but also something that could be rather interesting about the entire experience.

Response to Maybe a collab Story? 2010-02-28 06:26:48

At 2/28/10 12:55 AM, sinfulwolf wrote: While we should try to keep personalities the same, the characters will be different in each circle, as they are being presented by different writers. It's unavoidable, but also something that could be rather interesting about the entire experience.

Yeah, I think allowing each writer to give his own personality to his characters will be an interesting way of approaching the story. I figure the devils and demons would adjust their personalities for whatever circle they are currently in, so this would track. The fewest number of restrictions is for the best I think, though first-person perspective throughout would give it enough continuity to mantain a good coherence.

I would be happy to lend my pen to the cause, as well. I care not what circle I get, so I'll simply take the final unclaimed one.

Tis better to sit in silence and be presumed a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

Response to Maybe a collab Story? 2010-02-28 07:32:46

At 2/28/10 12:55 AM, sinfulwolf wrote: While we should try to keep personalities the same, the characters will be different in each circle, as they are being presented by different writers. It's unavoidable, but also something that could be rather interesting about the entire experience.

thats fine, but plz guys, do not give the main character an EXTREME personality. one subtle personality to another, I don't want the guys personality swinging from LOUD FRATBOY to Poet. I'm pretty sure That would not make sense, even in first person.

Thanks,
Subject

Response to Maybe a collab Story? 2010-02-28 08:25:11

@Subject666: We should keep "wiseguy" as base of the character, it allows a great variety of the character it self; i. E. I will and must give Dante some mean features; but you could make him a honest joker, or a sarcastic bastard. Smart-ass is the perfect base to work on and as long people keep it in mind, they can make of Dante what they want without going to far of track.

@HeroDan: He searches for the soul of his beloved finance Beatrice, who was abducted by Satan himself, due to a bet she made with him about Dante will not betray her love while figthing in the crusades (which he repeatedly did; some nasty things, too.). Dante traverses hell to find her. See the link I posted above for the whole piece in detail.

@sinfulwolf: Yeah, the character of Dante will change with the author, but this is in fact the fascinating part of this collab for me ^^

Response to Maybe a collab Story? 2010-02-28 09:08:35

For a more comedic version however, we need something a little less dramatic than Dante searching for his wife, especially if we're making him a college student. We could always just make it girlfriend to make it very similar, or we could even do something ridiculous like going after the last case of his favorite beer left in town, or even a bottle of whiskey or something that's no longer distilled anymore.

Response to Maybe a collab Story? 2010-02-28 09:35:56

At 2/28/10 09:08 AM, sinfulwolf wrote: For a more comedic version however, we need something a little less dramatic than Dante searching for his wife, especially if we're making him a college student.

Why not? He could search for his grilfriend/fiance out of far less dramatic reasons: Instead of protecting his undying love he just could not want to cook for himself, let alone the long, cold nights alone in his bed, if he wouldn't go to hell and get her back.

Note: If we stick to college-Dante, why don't we make Virigl the typical nerd? Like always rambling about stupid comics etc. But if we prefer Dante to search the last can of beet I'll vote Duffman for Dante's companion :)

Response to Maybe a collab Story? 2010-02-28 10:10:51

Wife I find tends to send out a message more of commitment. I know it's not always the case. If we were going to go that path, I said we should change it to girlfriend. It just works a little better for what we want.

Response to Maybe a collab Story? 2010-02-28 10:28:51

I take it we need to specify just two loose guidelines for the story, which all agree to, then theoretically we can start writing.
We need a common base here; I suggest we write down our ideas in this form:

1. Dante: Persona/Motivation
2. Virgil: Name/Persona/Motivation

If you don't like what you see, or think something is missing, just write down what you are thinking is best in the same form. And we'll just do that until a common base is found ^^

My vote:
1. Dante: Smartass student/ finding his not so beloved Beatrice
2. Virgil: Edward/ Nerdy freak, never stops speaking/ find a friend in hell

Response to Maybe a collab Story? 2010-02-28 11:22:43

In addition to the writing, I suggest that we try to Voice act as well. A lot can be said in the tone of one's voice.