00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

stupidvampire just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Fatkidwitajetpak' s Photography

5,098 Views | 67 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Fatkidwitajetpak' s Photography 2010-02-23 23:03:45

Recently I have begun to take photographs for the second semester art class at my school. I will post about a few every week in this thread and talk about what I think of them. I love critique and would enjoy it if you have any thoughts to share! :)

I am just a beginner, never having touched a camera that much before other than for video. I am very proud with some of the results in my pictures, however, and would like to share some of my favorites with that art forums. I can not post them in the art portal, since that is not allowed, but I was just informed that there is no rule that says we cant post photography in the art forums! Here we goooo.

For the first pic to start out the thread, I choose this one.

__Luring Entry__

I used photoshop to get rid of a very annoying red octagon on the top of the door handle. I also fille the top left corner in, originally being all white from the glow of the sun. Then I contrasted the image for the glowing effect. This is my favorite picture so far.

Fatkidwitajetpak'
s Photography

Response to Fatkidwitajetpak' s Photography 2010-02-23 23:05:51

Next, I have a sort of tree hugging statement. I adjusted the mid-tone, brightness, and contrast levels to create the disturbing atmosphere. I love the creepiness in it.

Fatkidwitajetpak'
s Photography

Response to Fatkidwitajetpak' s Photography 2010-02-23 23:08:25

Finally, I have this close up image of a wall made of concrete, broken glass, and other materials. I adjusted the contrast a bit, as usual.

These three photos should make way for some good comments.. if anyone ever visits this thread xP

I hope you enjoy my pictures! :D

Fatkidwitajetpak'
s Photography

Response to Fatkidwitajetpak' s Photography 2010-02-24 00:05:17

I see you like contrasts XD
When I stared to adjust my photos I also pushed the contrast to the limit...I'm still doing it today <.<
but you will see that there are other and better ways to make your photos look better if you dealt with it a longer time ;)
I think your photos need more tension or something catchy - better motives are coming the more shots you take
good start for the first photos

Response to Fatkidwitajetpak' s Photography 2010-02-24 00:44:38

Ok, photography isn't really my forte, but I think these show promise.

Have you been doing photography for a while? or is it relatively new to you?

They all seem highly edited though,especially contrast levels. Whilst this isn't necessarily a criticism it's just I tend to prefer untouched (or discreetly edited) originals. So would it be possible for you to upload the originals as well?

I think the 3rd one is my favorite though. Nice colour palette, good focus, it's a good photo.

I think it'd be pretty cool to see you also do some portrait photography as well.

I would also recommend you post these in the
photography thread if you haven't done so already.

nobody goes there anymore. its too popular.

BBS Signature

Response to Fatkidwitajetpak' s Photography 2010-02-24 17:42:12

At 2/24/10 12:44 AM, WaterShake wrote: Ok, photography isn't really my forte, but I think these show promise.

Have you been doing photography for a while? or is it relatively new to you?

They all seem highly edited though,especially contrast levels. Whilst this isn't necessarily a criticism it's just I tend to prefer untouched (or discreetly edited) originals. So would it be possible for you to upload the originals as well?

I think the 3rd one is my favorite though. Nice colour palette, good focus, it's a good photo.

I think it'd be pretty cool to see you also do some portrait photography as well.

I would also recommend you post these in the
photography thread if you haven't done so already.

Alright sure I would love to... but I dont want to do any +1 posting though so I think I will actually just keep my photos on this thread.

As requested, here is an original of the third photo. I like both personally. I am going way to much on the contrast editing though I agree xP

Fatkidwitajetpak'
s Photography

Response to Fatkidwitajetpak' s Photography 2010-02-25 11:05:31

Ok thanks for posting the original picture, I think it's great.

I think it showcases your photography skills better than the edited version. It looks much more natural(obviously) but it's also a lot clearer to viewers. Theres also more vitality to the photo. The air looks crisp, the mud looks moist, it's all very hands on. In the edited version, I feel it lacks life, everything looks sort of dead.

But then thats up to what you're trying to say with the photo.

Out of interest, what is you're interpretation of the photo?

nobody goes there anymore. its too popular.

BBS Signature

Response to Fatkidwitajetpak' s Photography 2010-02-25 20:00:58

Too abstract for me, sorry!

MY E-PENIS IS BIGGER THAN YOURS

8=================================>

...and this is my fag...

BBS Signature

Response to Fatkidwitajetpak' s Photography 2010-02-25 20:25:18

At 2/25/10 08:00 PM, El-Presidente wrote: Too abstract for me, sorry!

If photography isn't surreal in some way, it has to be pretty damned artistically made to be artistic at all or any different from what people who just love to take pictures take. I'm not saying there isn't meaningful photography that isn't somewhat abstract, but if you put work into making the pictures and trying to embed meaning or your emotion into them, they're not going to just be normal subject images.

My Art Thread.

Eeureka! With an exclamation point!

BBS Signature

Response to Fatkidwitajetpak' s Photography 2010-02-27 13:51:10

At 2/25/10 11:05 AM, WaterShake wrote: Ok thanks for posting the original picture, I think it's great.

I think it showcases your photography skills better than the edited version. It looks much more natural(obviously) but it's also a lot clearer to viewers. Theres also more vitality to the photo. The air looks crisp, the mud looks moist, it's all very hands on. In the edited version, I feel it lacks life, everything looks sort of dead.

But then thats up to what you're trying to say with the photo.

Out of interest, what is you're interpretation of the photo?

Currently, to be completley honest, I am only experimenting. I am putting no emotion into my photos. I still need to learn the basics of photography such as light settings lens speed and the rest of the features.

I do, however, interpret that picture to be another twist on garbage. It is making garbage look seemingly beautiful, which I think was a preety cool feat. I wanted to make the focus a bit better though. I love the light I got in the background and the glow ot gave on the broken glass. I will start to put in much more effort into my photos and try not to edit them in contrast and brightness.

New picture. :)

Fatkidwitajetpak'
s Photography

Response to Fatkidwitajetpak' s Photography 2010-02-27 14:39:27

Cool i took photography class too, but it only lasted for 2 years and i wasn't even at the school for the first year :( it's a lot of fun and i'm able to appreciate pictures like yours more. i like the Road work one a lot, and the one with the broken bottle I think it would be cool if you had more glass or made it stand out more anyway good pictures keep it up.

BBS Signature

Response to Fatkidwitajetpak' s Photography 2010-03-03 18:37:46

New picture! this is one of my personal favorites.

Fatkidwitajetpak'
s Photography

Response to Fatkidwitajetpak' s Photography 2010-03-04 18:36:43

Here is another door picture, I really love doors.

Fatkidwitajetpak'
s Photography

Response to Fatkidwitajetpak' s Photography 2010-03-04 19:23:20

I liked the picture of broken glass. It actually captured me, and took me into another world. :P srsly i rly liked it.

Avocado's Crazy Castle! Free to Play

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mbVqm7qKI8

Response to Fatkidwitajetpak' s Photography 2010-03-05 19:59:37

At 3/4/10 07:23 PM, bloo-apple wrote: I liked the picture of broken glass. It actually captured me, and took me into another world. :P srsly i rly liked it.

Hey thanks! Also, I really love your forum signature. :P

Another Picture! I love the light in this. Taken in front of a hospital.

Fatkidwitajetpak'
s Photography

Response to Fatkidwitajetpak' s Photography 2010-03-06 01:02:01

i love the atmosphere in this one. good job.

Response to Fatkidwitajetpak' s Photography 2010-03-06 18:47:13

At 3/6/10 01:02 AM, shake911 wrote: i love the atmosphere in this one. good job.

Thanks! I have a bunch of things to improve on, like the guy on the far right corner shouldnt be there because it distracts from the focus point of the picture.

This one is just plain creepy, I took it on an old abandoned golf course.. AT NIGHT. Lol I kept thinking someone was watching me.

Fatkidwitajetpak'
s Photography

Response to Fatkidwitajetpak' s Photography 2010-03-06 19:01:15

At 2/25/10 08:25 PM, Luxembourg wrote: If photography isn't surreal in some way, it has to be pretty damned artistically made to be artistic at all or any different from what people who just love to take pictures take. I'm not saying there isn't meaningful photography that isn't somewhat abstract, but if you put work into making the pictures and trying to embed meaning or your emotion into them, they're not going to just be normal subject images.

I meant you can't just take pictures of random shit and say it's "emotional." They're getting better though, the later ones are better than the first few.

MY E-PENIS IS BIGGER THAN YOURS

8=================================>

...and this is my fag...

BBS Signature

Response to Fatkidwitajetpak' s Photography 2010-03-06 19:15:22

At 3/6/10 07:01 PM, El-Presidente wrote:
At 2/25/10 08:25 PM, Luxembourg wrote: If photography isn't surreal in some way, it has to be pretty damned artistically made to be artistic at all or any different from what people who just love to take pictures take. I'm not saying there isn't meaningful photography that isn't somewhat abstract, but if you put work into making the pictures and trying to embed meaning or your emotion into them, they're not going to just be normal subject images.
I meant you can't just take pictures of random shit and say it's "emotional." They're getting better though, the later ones are better than the first few.

Oh, I agree with that. I thought you meant "WHAT THE HELL MAN. THESE AREN'T PICTURES OF FLOWERS OR PEOPLE." Which is how some people react to some photography.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature

Response to Fatkidwitajetpak' s Photography 2010-03-06 19:31:49

At 3/6/10 07:15 PM, Luxembourg wrote:
Oh, I agree with that. I thought you meant "WHAT THE HELL MAN. THESE AREN'T PICTURES OF FLOWERS OR PEOPLE." Which is how some people react to some photography.

I couldn't imagine anyone saying that...

I look for composition and what purposes the subject of the photos serve. I mean I really like outdoor photography but I mainly use it for reference for lighting or drawing/coloring. Otherwise I like to put my own energy into the piece rather than using natural found elements. The old truck is pretty neat. The others I don't understand but they look cool and could be used for stock photography.

That's what I see in a lot of photography today, just trying to 'look cool' without having any personal value or meaning to them.

I think if you just try and add your own personal elements to the pictures you will succeed with your current aptitude.

the events are merely fictional, written, directed, and acted out by all who create them

BBS Signature

Response to Fatkidwitajetpak' s Photography 2010-03-06 19:44:48

At 3/6/10 07:31 PM, Starogre wrote:
At 3/6/10 07:15 PM, Luxembourg wrote:
I couldn't imagine anyone saying that...

I look for composition and what purposes the subject of the photos serve. I mean I really like outdoor photography but I mainly use it for reference for lighting or drawing/coloring. Otherwise I like to put my own energy into the piece rather than using natural found elements. The old truck is pretty neat. The others I don't understand but they look cool and could be used for stock photography.

That's what I see in a lot of photography today, just trying to 'look cool' without having any personal value or meaning to them.

I think if you just try and add your own personal elements to the pictures you will succeed with your current aptitude.

Okay, I'll admit, I exaggerated. I've never seen anyone say that per se, but I have seen people react negatively to photography that's out of the norm (not in this forum, since this IS an art forum, but in real life.) But you seem to agree with the basic gist of what I meant: people don't react or work the same with photography that doesn't have any meaning, it's just meant to be pretty to them.
Oh, and OP: I also like the truck. I also like the one that's a closeup on some red and silver machinery. Both look really good.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature

Response to Fatkidwitajetpak' s Photography 2010-03-07 01:32:24

In order to reflect your emotions with photography, in my opinion, you first need to know how to use a camera... correctly. In other words, you need to know about all the little details to know what the picture will look like before you press that button. Once you have that picture painted into your mind because you know exactly how the lighting will look and all those details, you click that button and your feelings develop into that one fantastic photograph. Currently, I do not have the knowhow to understand what my photos will look like before I take them. Most of the time I have to take multiple shots in order to make it look how I want.

Also, I have such a tight schedule in my art class it is hard to put feeling into many of my photos.

Response to Fatkidwitajetpak' s Photography 2010-03-07 22:19:26

I just took this picture. I got down deep into this strange moss enviroment near an old abandoned golf course. I put some real feeling into this picture. What do you think?

Fatkidwitajetpak'
s Photography

Response to Fatkidwitajetpak' s Photography 2010-03-10 19:19:53

Photoshop test. I colored a picture and used a filter to make it look cool. NIt was a difficult process, but I love the results. It looks so comic like. Took me about half a day to do. Had emotion put into it.

Fatkidwitajetpak'
s Photography

Response to Fatkidwitajetpak' s Photography 2010-03-11 23:29:11

There was a lightning storm last night. The sirens were turned on loudly and I kind of freaked out because I had my camera all set up on my front porch. I was hoping on getting at least ONE shot of a lightning bolt at open exposure. This is what i got. Not all that great but not all that bad either. I think its preety neat.

Fatkidwitajetpak'
s Photography

Response to Fatkidwitajetpak' s Photography 2010-03-12 19:06:23

Apocalypse picture? Overused the contrast and midtone effects for this final result. Its like a meteor is about to hit and all hell will break lose.

Fatkidwitajetpak'
s Photography

Response to Fatkidwitajetpak' s Photography 2010-03-13 01:51:39

At 3/12/10 07:06 PM, FatKidWitAJetPak wrote: Apocalypse picture? Overused the contrast and midtone effects for this final result. Its like a meteor is about to hit and all hell will break lose.

luv it my fav so far lol the one with the tree roots ( i think) with the leaf on it was cool too keep up the good work :)

BBS Signature

Response to Fatkidwitajetpak' s Photography 2010-03-13 08:47:58

At 3/13/10 01:51 AM, rollthedice wrote:
At 3/12/10 07:06 PM, FatKidWitAJetPak wrote: Apocalypse picture? Overused the contrast and midtone effects for this final result. Its like a meteor is about to hit and all hell will break lose.
luv it my fav so far lol the one with the tree roots ( i think) with the leaf on it was cool too keep up the good work :)

Oh you mean the moss picture. It was this very strange green stuff that had taken over a dried up stream.

Response to Fatkidwitajetpak' s Photography 2010-03-15 04:03:11

Oh you mean the moss picture. It was this very strange green stuff that had taken over a dried up stream.

o i c anyways awesome pics hope to see more :)

BBS Signature

Response to Fatkidwitajetpak' s Photography 2010-03-22 17:38:09

Recently took some artistic photos at a local art contest. I didnt win iun any category, but I highly doubt the judges judged fairly because they have 3 hours to judge over 600 art items... anyway, this is the first picture i have ever made involving a person in it. I was proud :D

Fatkidwitajetpak'
s Photography