00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Our goal is for Newgrounds to be ad free for everyone! Become a Supporter today and help make this dream a reality!

Ng London Meet VII 2010

64,509 Views | 1,045 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Ng London Meet VII 2010 2010-08-03 08:46:59

Should probably say that I'm there!

Just got back from Sonisphere and managed to save enough money :)

Will probably be heading up with a few other NGers. See you guys on Saturday!

SlimBean

Response to Ng London Meet VII 2010 2010-08-03 09:07:41

At 8/3/10 07:28 AM, Coop83 wrote: Also, I've tried to plan transport to get me from the travelodge to the White Swan and it ain't working. Train, walk, bus, pray and eventually we arrive somewhere near the goal. Failing that, Pizza Express is close, so that's tea taken care of.

As far as getting there is concerned, you should try and get to the Overground line it seems, which I think you can get to by taking the Victoria line from Euston and changing at Highbury & Islington.

Response to Ng London Meet VII 2010 2010-08-03 09:47:04

At 8/3/10 07:28 AM, Coop83 wrote: Also, I've tried to plan transport to get me from the travelodge to the White Swan and it ain't working.

Depends where your travelodge is. The overground is now working to wapping so you can just go plug that into www.tfl.gov.uk's routefinder. On friday the tube lines are all good, so go to your nearest of the following tubes, or work your way into the city if you're far out and go from there).

JUBILEE (grey line). From the city head east towards stratford, change at canada water to the Overground, from there get a train north (towards dalston junction) two stops to wapping. Then it's just up the road from the station. Success!

DISTRICT (green line). From the city, head east towards upminster, change at Whitechapel to the Overground, from there get a train south (towards New Cross, Croydon, etc) two stops to.... wapping. Then it's just up the road from the station. Success!

HAMMERSMITH & CITY (pink line). From the city, head east towards Barking, change at Whitechapel blah blah blah blah Success!

Overground trains appear to run every five minutes or so in both directions. If you don't want to fork out for a cab back to your hotel, the last one runs north (for district + hammersmith & city) at 23:55, and south (for jubilee) at 23:52. Don't get stuck in the east end of london at midnight or you might get in a fight with some hoodies or something, lol.

Or you could get a bus from tower hill or something.

Or just plug in the White Swan's postcode (E1W 2RW) into tfl's route finder, it's pretty good.

BBS Signature

Response to Ng London Meet VII 2010 2010-08-03 09:49:01

At 8/3/10 09:07 AM, Wonchop wrote: As far as getting there is concerned, you should try and get to the Overground line it seems, which I think you can get to by taking the Victoria line from Euston and changing at Highbury & Islington.

The number 100 bus also goes right past the pub too.

The water in Majorca don't taste like what it oughta.

| AS3: Main | AS2: Main | Flash Tutorials |

BBS Signature

Response to Ng London Meet VII 2010 2010-08-03 09:52:19

At 8/3/10 07:56 AM, Coop83 wrote: I seem to remember that. Keep your fingers crossed and keep the phone glued to your hand or something.

Even that seems to be a problem. At NY meetup i jumped into a swimming pool of lesbians with my phone still in my pocket.

None

Response to Ng London Meet VII 2010 2010-08-03 10:05:29

If I lived in the UK I would be there in a heartbeat.

BBS Signature

Response to Ng London Meet VII 2010 2010-08-03 10:07:31

At 8/3/10 09:49 AM, Kirk-Cocaine wrote:
At 8/3/10 09:07 AM, Wonchop wrote: As far as getting there is concerned, you should try and get to the Overground line it seems, which I think you can get to by taking the Victoria line from Euston and changing at Highbury & Islington.
The number 100 bus also goes right past the pub too.

GAH.
All these different names and tube stations! "UNDERGROUND" "OVERGROUND" I hope it won't be this confusing once I get there and get a hold of a map or something. Also...cabs drive all night? How expensive are these bitches?

Response to Ng London Meet VII 2010 2010-08-03 10:19:38

At 8/3/10 10:07 AM, Damien wrote: All these different names and tube stations! "UNDERGROUND" "OVERGROUND" I hope it won't be this confusing once I get there and get a hold of a map or something.

You can get maps here.

Also...cabs drive all night? How expensive are these bitches?

Yeah you should be able to get some sort of taxi at any time, in the early hours of the morning it'll be more likely a minicab than a black cab. The cost obviously depends on how far you're going. Just don't get a cab with Luis. Last time I was in a taxi with him he got out when we were only half way home and we had to wait like 40 mins to get another cab =P

The water in Majorca don't taste like what it oughta.

| AS3: Main | AS2: Main | Flash Tutorials |

BBS Signature

Response to Ng London Meet VII 2010 2010-08-03 10:23:55

At 8/2/10 09:31 AM, Coop83 wrote:
At 8/2/10 09:00 AM, Cally wrote: You'll be surprised how quickly you gel in with everyone, to be honest. That's the good thing about groups of people with the same interest :)
Hell yes... and the fact we have dodgems and arcade games to play on.

Yeah but first off, we've got the karaoke. Now THAT I'll need a few drinks to settle down for.

At 8/2/10 04:24 PM, Kirk-Cocaine wrote: Also anyone travelling by tube on Saturday or Sunday should check out this site for travel updates. Seems there's a few closures now.

I've brought this up to my sister and luckily she knows her way around maintenances so I should have nothing to worry about.

Response to Ng London Meet VII 2010 2010-08-03 10:25:31

At 8/3/10 10:07 AM, Damien wrote: GAH.
All these different names and tube stations! "UNDERGROUND" "OVERGROUND" I hope it won't be this confusing once I get there and get a hold of a map or something. Also...cabs drive all night? How expensive are these bitches?

Well when Oliver stayed with me earlier this year he said he was surprised how it was a lot less confusing than he thought it would be. It should be a lot simpler when you get here.

Response to Ng London Meet VII 2010 2010-08-03 10:47:17

Man, I wish I could make it. Maybe next year.

Join chat | In Obscurity Forever.| Least noticed user '13? Vote for me!

Sig by Me.

BBS Signature

Response to Ng London Meet VII 2010 2010-08-03 12:27:45

At 8/3/10 10:23 AM, Bahamut wrote:
Hell yes... and the fact we have dodgems and arcade games to play on.
Yeah but first off, we've got the karaoke. Now THAT I'll need a few drinks to settle down for.

I'll probably be drunk before I even arrive.
ALCOHOL KILLS THE NERVES.

Response to Ng London Meet VII 2010 2010-08-03 12:52:54

At 8/3/10 10:07 AM, Damien wrote: GAH.

Underground, overground... LOL

Part of Newgrounds furniture since 2000.Clicky, clicky.

BBS Signature

Response to Ng London Meet VII 2010 2010-08-03 13:13:13

I have to leave early on Sunday, like 7am but will try to rearrange stuff so I can stay a bit later.

At 8/2/10 04:09 PM, citricsquid wrote: I am arriving at Euston station and I need to get to Camden, I have worked out that my best route is to take the tube (over walking, not sure if walking is a good idea when I'm new to London, although if walking it is the best idea I'm cool with that, walking is fun) like so (with help from a website)

I will be wondering around London on Friday from midday to 7pm, but might come up for the 4pm if not the midday, anyway if you want help I can be around.

Response to Ng London Meet VII 2010 2010-08-03 13:23:59

At 8/3/10 10:07 AM, Damien wrote: All these different names and tube stations! "UNDERGROUND" "OVERGROUND" I hope it won't be this confusing once I get there and get a hold of a map or something. Also...cabs drive all night? How expensive are these bitches?

Words can't express how much I am depending on meeting someone who has an idea, namely Oliver, at the train station.

This too will pass.

Memento mori

BBS Signature

Response to Ng London Meet VII 2010 2010-08-03 13:43:59

At 8/3/10 01:23 PM, Lost-Chances wrote:
At 8/3/10 10:07 AM, Damien wrote: All these different names and tube stations! "UNDERGROUND" "OVERGROUND" I hope it won't be this confusing once I get there and get a hold of a map or something. Also...cabs drive all night? How expensive are these bitches?
Words can't express how much I am depending on meeting someone who has an idea, namely Oliver, at the train station.

If you get a zone 1-2 day pass you should be fine. Everything including the main meetup is in those zones.

You wont have to deal with getting a pass everytime you need to use the train.

None

Response to Ng London Meet VII 2010 2010-08-03 14:42:21

I should have asked this sooner but what do you guys plan to do for tea on Friday evening? Will you be having something at the pub or beforehand? I don't mind having something at the White Swan but if that's not a possibility, I don't mind just having a microwavable meal at my sister's flat.

Sorry if this question has been brought up before.

Response to Ng London Meet VII 2010 2010-08-03 14:46:18

At 8/3/10 01:43 PM, Luis wrote:
At 8/3/10 01:23 PM, Lost-Chances wrote:
If you get a zone 1-2 day pass you should be fine. Everything including the main meetup is in those zones.

You wont have to deal with getting a pass everytime you need to use the train.

True, but the problem is I'm there for three days. Three day passes tend to get expensive fast and I'm hoping to spend no more than £100 on the meet.

This too will pass.

Memento mori

BBS Signature

Response to Ng London Meet VII 2010 2010-08-03 15:10:20

Tickets arrived this morning and thanks to my brother I know which tube station to get off at. I'm arriving in kings cross and then taking the circle line to west-minister and then walking over the bridge. Easy peasy. Unfortunately I failed you, I have not got a fresh crop of afro for you to grope but instead a rather fetching top hat. Can't wait until Saturday hope my NG shirt arrives in time.

Response to Ng London Meet VII 2010 2010-08-03 16:21:53

At 8/3/10 02:48 PM, citricsquid wrote: oh travel. so the site for the tube pricing is confusing, what sort of card should I get?

You should get an off-peak zones 1-2 day travelcard. It costs £5.60, and allows you to go on as many tubes as you want that day. If you plan on using the tube for just one trip one day (ie: getting to a train station on sunday morning) then you should buy a single which costs £4.00. There isn't a 3-day option unfortunately so your cheapest option is just to buy one on each day.

If you're worried about the cost and might be in London again in the future, you should buy an oyster card. With an oyster card, instead of £4 for a single, it costs £1.80 (!), and as soon as you go over £5.60 it stops, so you always save or pay the same amount of money as just buying at machines. It's something small like a £3 deposit that you have to pay. I'm buying one for this trip fyi. It's a massive saving on days like the last day when I just have to get home.

At 8/3/10 02:42 PM, Bahamut wrote: I should have asked this sooner but what do you guys plan to do for tea on Friday evening?

I imagine we'll probably eat there but nothing formal or organised, just grabbing shit from supermarkets or something. There's a couple of newsagents and a pretty decent chippy just up the road from the white swan & cuckoo, a bit further away is a 24h McDonalds, and I think one time we got pizzas from across the road while we were there(?). Personally I think i'll probably just grab a sandwich from a supermarket, and then later get some chips or something.

At 8/3/10 01:23 PM, Lost-Chances wrote: Words can't express how much I am depending on meeting someone who has an idea, namely Oliver, at the train station.

If you're stuck you can text me, I've got a pretty good head for tubes in london. Or just ask one of the people who work in the station (you can normally find them by the big suitcase/pram ticket gate). Just say "I'm trying to get to TUBE STATION X" and they'll tell you to get on the victoria line going north, and then change on to the northern line at Warren Street to get a tube towards Edgeware.

BBS Signature

Response to Ng London Meet VII 2010 2010-08-03 16:23:33

At 8/3/10 02:42 PM, Bahamut wrote: I should have asked this sooner but what do you guys plan to do for tea on Friday evening? Will you be having something at the pub or beforehand? I don't mind having something at the White Swan but if that's not a possibility, I don't mind just having a microwavable meal at my sister's flat.

Sorry if this question has been brought up before.

Since all that's really there is booze and crisps, it would be in your best interests to grab something to eat beforehand.

Response to Ng London Meet VII 2010 2010-08-03 16:35:13

At 8/3/10 04:25 PM, citricsquid wrote: What does an oyster card require for registration? I don't have my ID yet (STILL not arrived, so I'm planning like I don't have it, but hopefully it'll arrive) so how do I get one? I'll probably do that then or something :-) Whatever works out cheapest for the 3 days.

As far as I know, you can pick one up at any station in london without ID but DON'T take that as gospel

best thing to do is just go there and ask for one and if they give you one great and if they tell you to piss off get a travelcard.

what to do... well just go to to the ticket booth (with a real person, not a machine), and ask for an oyster card. see what happens from there.

BBS Signature

Response to Ng London Meet VII 2010 2010-08-03 17:52:29

At 8/3/10 01:13 PM, funkycaveman wrote: I have to leave early on Sunday, like 7am but will try to rearrange stuff so I can stay a bit later.

good news, i can stay most of sunday, what time do people normally get up my guess would be earlyish, but then again, these meets don't happen often

Response to Ng London Meet VII 2010 2010-08-03 18:28:15

At 8/3/10 09:47 AM, BananaBreadMuffin wrote:
At 8/3/10 07:28 AM, Coop83 wrote: Also, I've tried to plan transport to get me from the travelodge to the White Swan and it ain't working.
Depends where your travelodge is.

Waterloo - just down the road from Southwark... until I checked the postcode, as they appear to have moved. Crafty fuckers... and damned Google Street View >:(

Or just plug in the White Swan's postcode (E1W 2RW) into tfl's route finder, it's pretty good.

I'll have a play with that tomorrow... looks like I might be getting lost in London after all -.-

Will it ever end. Yes, all human endeavour is pointless ~ Bill Bailey

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to Ng London Meet VII 2010 2010-08-03 18:51:39

btw guys you may want to check the planned closures for the underground. It may affect your route.

Response to Ng London Meet VII 2010 2010-08-03 18:53:23

At 8/3/10 06:51 PM, funkycaveman wrote: btw guys you may want to check the planned closures for the underground. It may affect your route.

I think citric posted that yesterday but thanks for repost I needed to check. The circle line is good service apparently.

Response to Ng London Meet VII 2010 2010-08-03 19:15:33

DONT PANIC IT WILL BE OKAY.

None

Response to Ng London Meet VII 2010 2010-08-03 19:17:06

At 8/3/10 06:53 PM, SuspiciousPenguin wrote:
At 8/3/10 06:51 PM, funkycaveman wrote: btw guys you may want to check the planned closures for the underground. It may affect your route.
I think citric posted that yesterday but thanks for repost I needed to check. The circle line is good service apparently.

My bad, must have missed it, but some other people may have also missed the link like me. These are planned, lets hope nothing changes. The main routes are all open, but the whole of the metropolitan line is closed on Saturday, but there are workaround routes for that.

Response to Ng London Meet VII 2010 2010-08-03 19:17:39

Getting lost in London has always been one of my life goals. Can't wait!

I mean, how hard can it be?

DUN DUN DUN

Bridge of Weir Meet-Up 2012, a real thing that's definitely real! You won't believe how real it is!*

*Realness not guaranteed.

Response to Ng London Meet VII 2010 2010-08-03 19:28:28

At 8/3/10 06:28 PM, Coop83 wrote: Waterloo - just down the road from Southwark... until I checked the postcode, as they appear to have moved. Crafty fuckers... and damned Google Street View >:(
I'll have a play with that tomorrow... looks like I might be getting lost in London after all -.-

Well that's simple then. Both Southwark and Waterloo are on the jubilee line, go to Canada Water then get the overground to wapping.

At 1/1/1 1:1 PM, Luis wrote: DONT PANIC

PANIC

BBS Signature