00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

meatbeast12 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Videa Game Regulars Lounge.

187,512 Views | 2,372 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2012-05-21 06:09:03

At 5/20/12 07:12 PM, iMini wrote: I was about to say that you really should have got The Twin Snakes but OMG ITS SO EXPENSIVE JESUS I USED TO HAVE THAT GAME WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENED TO IT!?

Heh, yea I looked into that but the price tag put me off. You should search high and low for it. Could be an easy way for you to make about £40 on eBay.

BBS Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!

BBS Signature

Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2012-05-21 12:41:11

I'm glad save file transfers for PS3 games works well on USB drives. That allowed me to play Just Cause 2 while I was down in London for the weekend since that game needs some progress to get myself anywhere anytime soon. With the downstairs TV still free up until the end of the week, I'll be sure to play as much as this game as possible this week. Probably not enough to be close to completion but I'll at least make an attempt.

Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2012-05-22 20:37:05

At 5/20/12 02:54 PM, Dean wrote:
At 5/19/12 08:27 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: I've had Star Fox Adventures for a long time, but I still haven't gotten around to playing it since I got it.
Are you like me, in that you buy games faster than you can finish them?

sometimes. It depends what I'm in the middle of, I guess. Sometimes, a game is really long and there's a lot to do. All I'm playing right now is Skyrim. I'm almost level 44 and I still have lots of stuff to do.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2012-05-23 19:22:58

Revenge of Shinobi bitches! Easily one of the most awesome games ever, I'm still a duffer at it though. The trophies are also a piece of piss, but one requires you to finish without using a continue D:

TEABAGGIN' AIN'T EASY

English Gents Club | 5th on PS3 Trophy Leaderboard | PSN: KillSwitch_Bob | Sig by Ryan

BBS Signature

Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2012-05-24 08:05:12

At 5/23/12 07:22 PM, Quinny wrote: Revenge of Shinobi bitches! Easily one of the most awesome games ever, I'm still a duffer at it though.

Have you played Shinobi 3? I used to play that over and over (I never beat it then) when I was like 4 years old. I've beaten it since then. Luckily, it's on the Sega Genesis Collection for PS2.

Honestly, I think the controls are much smoother than in Revenge of Shinobi. I just didn't care much for that game back in the day. Maybe I'd think differently now.

Also, Shinobi for PS2 was freaking infuriating.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2012-05-24 09:44:30

Hmm. I was expecting Metal Gear Solid to arrive today but apparently not. It was dispatched two days ago with first class postage. At least in the description he said first class and postage costs were £2.50 so if better be. I think from now on I'm actually going to pay more attention to the postage fees anyway. Does it really cost that much for a padded envelope and a first class stamp for a PS1 game? I doubt it.

Massive car boot sale for me to attend on Sunday, assuming the weather keeps up. 8am entry. I want to be there early but I'm not sure how early. I'm really hoping that I can snag myself some kind of decent retro gaming offer but after the last few car boot sales I've attended, I wont get my hopes up.

BBS Signature

Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2012-05-24 16:29:13

At 5/24/12 09:44 AM, Dean wrote: Massive car boot sale for me to attend on Sunday, assuming the weather keeps up. 8am entry. I want to be there early but I'm not sure how early. I'm really hoping that I can snag myself some kind of decent retro gaming offer but after the last few car boot sales I've attended, I wont get my hopes up.

Good luck finding some good stuff, hope you make a video about it if you find anything worth sharing. I've really been enjoying seeing your Youtube videos, looking forward to more, man.

Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2012-05-24 16:59:47

At 5/24/12 04:29 PM, Oolaph wrote: Good luck finding some good stuff, hope you make a video about it if you find anything worth sharing. I've really been enjoying seeing your Youtube videos, looking forward to more, man.

Thanks man. Yea, if I do find anything cool there probably will be a video. Sort of hoping that I do get lucky and find some decent stuff, otherwise it really is going to be a while before I can start buying stuff at eBay prices again. I'll probably try to keep my eye out at the car boot sale for stuff that I might be able to make profit on if I were to resell it. Kind of an assholeish thing to do, but ever since I got back into collecting I've spent way more than I ever anticipated so if I can make a quick buck via eBay without selling parts of my collection, I'm all for it.

But yea, nice to hear you're enjoying my videos. Makes them seem more worthwhile. I had a small burst of subscribers and I'm up to 18 now which is pretty cool.

BBS Signature

Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2012-05-24 17:40:51

At 5/24/12 04:59 PM, Dean wrote: Thanks man. Yea, if I do find anything cool there probably will be a video. Sort of hoping that I do get lucky and find some decent stuff, otherwise it really is going to be a while before I can start buying stuff at eBay prices again. I'll probably try to keep my eye out at the car boot sale for stuff that I might be able to make profit on if I were to resell it. Kind of an assholeish thing to do, but ever since I got back into collecting I've spent way more than I ever anticipated so if I can make a quick buck via eBay without selling parts of my collection, I'm all for it.

I completely understand, I haven't been able to buy a game in months due to lack of money. It sucks, but it also forces me to give some games that I've passed over the attention they deserve, so I guess it's not all that bad.

But yea, nice to hear you're enjoying my videos. Makes them seem more worthwhile. I had a small burst of subscribers and I'm up to 18 now which is pretty cool.

That's good to hear, man. Keep up the good work.

Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2012-05-25 07:19:43

At 5/24/12 08:05 AM, Sense-Offender wrote: Have you played Shinobi 3? I used to play that over and over (I never beat it then) when I was like 4 years old. I've beaten it since then. Luckily, it's on the Sega Genesis Collection for PS2.

Honestly, I think the controls are much smoother than in Revenge of Shinobi. I just didn't care much for that game back in the day. Maybe I'd think differently now.

Also, Shinobi for PS2 was freaking infuriating.

Yep, played and completed. It's technically better than Revenge (you can run, wall jump, sub bosses etc) but I don't care. Where else can you see Rambo, The Terminator, Batman, Spiderman and Godzilla in the same game?

TEABAGGIN' AIN'T EASY

English Gents Club | 5th on PS3 Trophy Leaderboard | PSN: KillSwitch_Bob | Sig by Ryan

BBS Signature

Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2012-05-26 05:38:42

My copy of Metal Gear Solid arrived today. You know, the one I was moaning about the postage costs for. So they charged me £2.50 when the stamp itself has £1.10 on it and the packaging consists of some kind of plastic bag. No padded envelope or any form of padding. Given how easily PS1 cases crack, that's pretty bad and definitely isn't costing them the remaining £1.40 so they have been sent a message asking to justify the postage costs before they get feedback.

Usually I'd overlook this but since postage costs seem to be a large chunk of the cost with retro games, I'm actually going to start working out whether it's a fair price or not. Some sellers clearly profit from the postage costs.

BBS Signature

Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2012-05-26 20:19:11

At 5/26/12 05:38 AM, Dean wrote:

So they charged me Ã'£2.50 when the stamp itself has Ã'£1.10 on it and the packaging consists of some kind of plastic bag. No form of padding. Given how easily PS1 cases crack, that's pretty bad

That is pretty bad dude, I have PS1 games myself, most barely work because there was almost no lids on any of them when i first got them.

Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2012-05-27 06:49:51

At 5/26/12 08:19 PM, Calv1n wrote: That is pretty bad dude, I have PS1 games myself, most barely work because there was almost no lids on any of them when i first got them.

Forgot to actually test MGS. I assume it's working because there's not a mark on the discs. They look almost unused.

Also the cart boot sale was a success. Spotted a guy selling some Sega Saturn games which caught my attention and then when I got talking I noticed he had loads of Sega stuff. Turns out he's actually a Sega collector selling off some of his doubles. I picked up a model 1 MegaDrive from him with 12 (well, technically 14) games 10 of which were boxed. Came with all the cables and he even gave me two controllers. All that for £18 which is a pretty sweet deal. I'd have had to pay a fair bit more than that if I were to buy it from eBay.

Anyway one watches my YouTube stuff can expect to see all this crap in the next pickups video I do which will probably be tomorrow.

BBS Signature

Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2012-05-27 12:19:44

At 5/27/12 06:49 AM, Dean wrote: Also the cart boot sale was a success. Spotted a guy selling some Sega Saturn games which caught my attention and then when I got talking I noticed he had loads of Sega stuff. Turns out he's actually a Sega collector selling off some of his doubles. I picked up a model 1 MegaDrive from him with 12 (well, technically 14) games 10 of which were boxed. Came with all the cables and he even gave me two controllers. All that for Ã'£18 which is a pretty sweet deal. I'd have had to pay a fair bit more than that if I were to buy it from eBay.

Awesome, nice to hear that most of those games were boxed. I love the packaging on those games, it's just perfect. I have all of my boxed Genesis games (excluding doubles, of course) sitting proudly on a shelf in my room.

Can't wait to see what you picked up in more detail.

Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2012-05-27 17:17:59

At 5/27/12 12:19 PM, Oolaph wrote: Can't wait to see what you picked up in more detail.

I'll upload it tomorrow morning and dump a link in here :)

Currently in the process of rearranging my room. Basically, my game collection has taken up all the space I gave it in the wardrobe and I can't keep adding to it without placing one pile in front of another pile which is annoying. I've moved stuff around a fair bit and I now have space in the corner of my room where I plan to put two bookcases that should hopefully be able to hold everything with room to spare. In the event they can't hold everything, at least I can now have my cooler stuff on display and not hiding in a cupboard. Still need to buy some bookcases though.

Still undecided whether or not I like this new layout but it took a hell of an effort to move everything about. Especially stuff that has cables coming out of it.

BBS Signature

Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2012-05-28 19:27:23

Said I'd post a link to the video where I go over the MegaDrive/Genesis stuff I got the other day, so here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTqXALn6bNk

I think from now on I might try and focus on collecting for a specific console as oppose to just buying whatever I see going cheap. At least then I can set myself specific targets of things to look out for. The Mega Drive is a high contender for the console I'd pick, as is the Master System. Both seem fairly cheap to collect for but I think the Mega Drive will win me over because I do have more love for 16-bit games than 8-bit games. Probably because they were the first I ever played as a kid and they have a similar feeling to 8-bit games but just feel superior.

BBS Signature

Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2012-05-28 20:05:43

For the past week I have continued to play Terraria; at the 400 hour mark now. Going through the original Deus Ex again on realistic. And I have been playing some of SCP: Containment Breach; which if any of you'se watch PEWDIEPIE on Youtube, will know exactly what game I am on about.

I am lovin' me some Retro Haze .

BBS Signature

Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2012-05-31 09:59:58

Completed Star Fox Adventures (which is a great game btw) so decided to start on Metroid Prime instead of Metal Gear Solid. Apparently I've only been playing it for about two hours, but it feels like I've been playing a hell of a lot longer. I'm actually undecided on whether or not I like this game. It's fun, when I have some clue as to what I'm meant to be doing. A lot of the time I have no idea where I'm meant to be going or what I'm meant to be doing. It can get frustrating, spending 15 minutes looking around trying to work out where to go and getting nowhere. I've actually had to look up at a walkthrough a few times now just to know where to go. To me, that's not a good sign. If they game keeps up like this, I'll probably just toss it to the side.

Was Metroid Prime like this for everyone, or do I just suck at it? Like I say, I literally have no clue what my objectives are or what I'm meant to be doing.

BBS Signature

Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2012-05-31 11:16:41

At 5/31/12 09:59 AM, Dean wrote: Was Metroid Prime like this for everyone, or do I just suck at it? Like I say, I literally have no clue what my objectives are or what I'm meant to be doing.

Yeah, that's kind of what the series is famous for. You get dropped off on a strange alien planet with a vague idea of your mission and you've got to find out where to go. The first Prime is easier to get lost in than the next two games in that trilogy, and I do recall going around in circles at points and being confused as to where to go next, but I don't recall reaching for a walk through. It's like they were so busy making sure the game play felt like Metroid in a first person perspective that they didn't quite get the level design right where you feel lost, but you're always being pushed on the right track without even knowing it.

I kind of liked it anyways, but of course, I beat Metroid on NES where you have to draw your own map if you hope to beat it.

Happy with what you have to be happy with

you have to be happy with what you have

to be happy with you have to be happy with what you have

BBS Signature

Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2012-05-31 13:30:10

Prime definitely deserves its chance. I could have dropped the game after reaching Tallon IV but I knew there was more to the game so I had to progress. Prime 2 is my personal favourite for the Metroid series but I still love the first Prime game a lot. Despite thinking these two games are quite possibly the best Nintendo has ever made, I've yet to go through Metroid Prime 3 and I got that game back in 2007.

Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2012-05-31 16:02:33

Well, I'll definitely give Metroid Prime another chance at some point. Right now I was just after something more linear and straight forward though so I've gone with Metal Gear Solid for now. I plan to get through this then move on to Sons of Liberty and Snake Eater. Really enjoying this so far. Things like having to look at the back of the game case to get someone's radio frequency and the boss battle where I had to change controller ports so that he couldn't read my mind. I had no idea there was a PS1 game this creative.

BBS Signature

Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2012-06-01 15:19:01

At 5/31/12 04:02 PM, Dean wrote: Things like having to look at the back of the game case to get someone's radio frequency and the boss battle where I had to change controller ports so that he couldn't read my mind. I had no idea there was a PS1 game this creative.

Yeah, the first MGS was really unique and innovative with that kind of stuff. Unfortunately, you won't see much more of that in the later games up until MGS4, which is a bit of a shame. They're all really great games though, glad to hear you're enjoying the series so far.

Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2012-06-01 15:23:21

At 5/31/12 04:02 PM, Dean wrote: Well, I'll definitely give Metroid Prime another chance at some point. Right now I was just after something more linear and straight forward though so I've gone with Metal Gear Solid for now.

Understood. That does give me a note to give Soul Reaver another chance. Wanted to play that game for years but when I picked it up, I was like "Eh." Maybe the combat system hasn't aged that well so I'm not quite adapting to it.

Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2012-06-01 17:34:32

At 5/31/12 09:59 AM, Dean wrote: Was Metroid Prime like this for everyone, or do I just suck at it? Like I say, I literally have no clue what my objectives are or what I'm meant to be doing.

It was like that for me in the beginning (well with Echoes actually, because I played that one first), but here's a protip:
Always keep an eye on your map. See what doors you haven't been through yet and see if they're accessible for you now. This is your best indication on where you need to go to next. Also, the game itself will give hints quite often on what chamber you need to reach.

Anyway, give the game another chance. In the beginning it's a bit confusing, but you'll get better at the game.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]

Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz

The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 5 May 2018)

BBS Signature

Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2012-06-02 12:23:52

Currently fighting MG-Rex on Metal Gear Solid and my fucking god this is annoying. After about 5 attempts I finished the first half of the battle, expected that to be like a check point. Although by this point I'd used up my rations and died soon after. I was so pissed off when I found out I had to do the entire thing again. I'll have another attempt in a few hours but that's one annoying battle.

BBS Signature

Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2012-06-02 13:10:09

At 5/31/12 01:30 PM, Bahamut wrote: Prime definitely deserves its chance. I could have dropped the game after reaching Tallon IV but I knew there was more to the game so I had to progress. Prime 2 is my personal favourite for the Metroid series but I still love the first Prime game a lot. Despite thinking these two games are quite possibly the best Nintendo has ever made, I've yet to go through Metroid Prime 3 and I got that game back in 2007.

I got the Prime trilogy a while back (for a sixth of the price used) and I finally beat Prime for the first time. The story for Echoes is better than Prime, but I like the game play more. I've always hated dark worlds, and it seemed just like a way to make less areas in Echoes. Also, I hate the fact that you need ammo for the L/D guns, I never use them because I feel like I'll run out.

I did get Corruption back in 2009, but couldn't beat a part and gave up. I got to the point before the final area now, and I can definitely say Corruption has the best story, powers, and whatnot, but the load times a terrible. 1 and 2 never gave me any trouble when I wanted to run away from a fight, but in Corruption, I'd wait sometimes 30 seconds for a door to open, costing me health.

Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2012-06-02 14:38:54

Beat Metal Gear Solid and I'll make a start on MGS2 soon. Fantastic game. Well worth the £6.50 or whatever it was that I paid for it. Really enjoyed it despite the occasional frustration. I think I can now finally see why this series gets so much praise. I was never really into stealth games when I was younger to always just overlooked MGS.

BBS Signature

Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2012-06-02 21:56:26

So I have put a stop to trying to defeat all the hardmode bosses in Terraria at the moment.
Instead I am playing Afraid of Monsters, which is a half life 1 mod. It is one of the scariest games I have played as of late.
Besides that, I just recently finished off Nightmare House 2, which is a mod for Half Life 2: Episode 2, and that was shit scary as well.
And I am still going at finishing off Deus Ex on Realistic again.

God I love the original Deus Ex, I wish more modern games would look back to Deus Ex, this game did almost everything perfect.

I am lovin' me some Retro Haze .

BBS Signature

Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2012-06-07 12:48:29

Is E3 over? Did I miss the entire thing? Ah well, not too bothered if I did. I have to admit that I'm far more interested in retro games than future releases right now. There just hasn't really been anything recent that sparked my interest in the slightest.

Maybe I'll need to read up on what was all covered at E3. There might have been something to spark my interest.

BBS Signature

Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2012-06-07 12:50:33

E3 bombed this year so you were lucky to have missed out on it. Doesn't look like Nintendo are going to try hard with the WiiU or 3DS at this point.