00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

lazyliving456 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Your questions about Logic Pro!

21,306 Views | 145 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! 2010-10-29 22:55:20

At 10/22/10 01:17 PM, jkap1 wrote: Great to see a Logic thread here. (And a shame it was so buried I had to search for it!)

So I was wondering if anyone had tips for making semi-realistic string sounds using the standard 'String Ensemble Legato' instrument. Specifically - I'm having trouble making stabs (I've got the long, drawn out notes pretty good).

Currently I'm just loading the same sound onto three different tracks, writing a violin, viola, and cello part separately, and messing with the fades & attack level to get it sounding nice & flowy. But for those parts where I want to build up or create tension/energy with some orchestral stabs, I'm having troubles.

(alternately... I'll take suggestions on any good 3rd party string/orchestra plug-ins or samples). Nice to be here!

Well...i know of some but youd have to pay some money for them 1. East-West samples 2.Vienna symphonic library.....although i dont know anyone who can afford it.

Oh and i have a question: I want to make a long pitch rising note...ive used the ES2 and have made the glide long but is there a way to make the glide longer? Because i can only get it to 5000ms....

Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! 2010-12-19 10:53:13

please help me figure out what this is or I will kill myself.

I have a song and everytime I play it or export it, this bullshit happens.

I dunno what it is but I suspect it has something to do with omnisphere.

Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! 2010-12-19 12:17:43

At 12/19/10 10:53 AM, SBB wrote: please help me figure out what this is or I will kill myself.

I have a song and everytime I play it or export it, this bullshit happens.

I dunno what it is but I suspect it has something to do with omnisphere.

Lol it kinda looks like audacity. Anyway I've never seen that before...

I kinda also have my own question.....

I have kontakt and I would like to use pitch bend on it's instruments. I do not have a pitch bend wheel on my keyboard but I do have a BCF 2000 midi controller... But for some reason I can't figure out for the life of me how to make the BCF control the pitch bend on Kontakt.....(not the tune wheel but the pitch bend).

It works for logic's automation but not kontakt's automation.....

So my question is: Is there a way I can control kontakt's pitch bend through the BCF?

Any help is appreciated.

Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! 2010-12-26 15:05:37

I want to either automate the midi input transposition or make it so that the keyboard input is transposed a number of semitones every second bar. Or find a way to automate anything within the environement.

Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! 2011-02-13 06:58:59

At 2/13/11 03:22 AM, ZStriefel wrote: derp nevermind. it was kind of obvious.

Apart from that, you can assign your own hotkeys to virtually ANYTHING...

For instance, in the main window i assigned " + " to merge regions.

BBS Signature

Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! 2011-06-12 18:25:39

I have this tune and logic occasionally loses track of one of the midi tracks- it gets out of sync and notes are cut off in a seemingly random manner. It's absolutely infuriating because I have no clue what it might be that's causing it so I can't figure out how to fix it. Any ideas?

Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! 2011-06-12 19:25:43

At 6/12/11 07:24 PM, ZStriefel wrote: Thats odd. Are you using logic 8 or 9?

9.1, even

is it consistently the "one" midi track? or does it bounce about from track to track?

just that one.

Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! 2011-06-12 19:47:02

At 6/12/11 07:30 PM, ZStriefel wrote: Have you tried to change the instrument? Something you might already know but just in case..

If notes overlap they'll cut off. Pretty sure we can figure this out. If you want you could shoot me the Logic file and I could see if it works on my end, or at least be able to look at what you're seeing.

I reset everything, cut/pasted the midi notes and did a bunch of other things and it seems to be under control... FOR NOW

And yeah why do overlapping notes just cut off like that? It's annoying and counterintuitive and no other sequencer I've used behaves like that.

Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! 2011-06-20 17:35:19

RAGE

Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! 2011-08-21 08:26:42

At 6/20/11 05:35 PM, SBB wrote: RAGE

Hello buddy. Do you have two hard drives? This tends to happen when your hard drive can't keep up with all the audio streams. There's a few things you can do...

Change the length of your audio regions so that they're not all starting at exactly the same time

Freeze tracks to free up memory

get a second hard drive and keep applications and programs on one and your logic save files on the other (saves the drive head having to quickly scan between loading data for programs and loading data for audio. Will also prolong the length of your drives!) I would say that this will make the biggest change. Terrabyte drives are like £40 at the moment as well so not very expensive.

Increasing your playback buffer will help but will incur latency. Reduce when recording live and increase when mixing.

Consolidate audio tracks. If you're anything like me, you'll end up with thousands of little slices of edited audio on a track in the arrange window. Lots of tracks with miniscule sections of audio hogs your resources and stresses out your hard drive. Highlight all audio sections on a track and bounce as one file and this will greatly help your memory consumption.

Hope this helps.

Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! 2011-08-21 09:00:50

Sorry for double post. Keep your sample libraries on the 2nd drive too, not just your logic save files. Keep audio files and programs seperate! Also I just noticed from the screen grab underneath your post that it does look like you use lots of cut up audio sections. Highlight them all and glue together (I've set '=' as a shortcut for this) and that will help alot.

Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! 2011-09-08 16:49:01

... Triple post.. Do I get banned for that?

Anywho. Here's one for you. I have a big MIDI controller keyboard with loads of functions. I'm trying to assign a fader to a control in the EXS24. How do I know which MIDI CTRL number my fader is putting out? trial and error would take ages as there are obviously 128 possible...

Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! 2011-09-08 16:56:48

You don't really have to know the control #. Just press cmd-L, press learn mode, drag the fader a bit and then turn the software knob you want to assign the fader to. The cmd-L window also gives you detailed information about the fader if you still need that.

Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! 2011-09-08 16:58:35

Well technically cmd-K. cmd-L launches straight into learn mode, which is often what you want.

Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! 2011-09-08 20:15:37

At 9/8/11 04:58 PM, SBB wrote: Well technically cmd-K. cmd-L launches straight into learn mode, which is often what you want.

Thanks SBB, I Got there in the end. There's a big friggin' obvious display on the Transport bar. Tells you velocity, note etc. If you use a control it will display the control number. It was #71 in this instance so I just plugged that into the modulation router.

Are you still having problems with the "audio overload" error message or did you manage to sort that out?

Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! 2012-01-16 09:47:57

groups.

Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! 2012-01-16 09:49:58

wait, there was a post asking about this, where did it go??

Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! 2012-04-21 08:53:47

I KEEP DOUBLE CLICKING OTHER MIDI CLIPS BUT THE MOTHER FUCKING PIANO ROLL WON'T FUCKING CHANGE. IT KEEPS LOADING THE SAME FUCKING CLIP EVEN AFTER I'VE DELETED IT. I CAN'T WORK WITH THE SONG ANYMORE WHAT THE FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! 2013-05-24 17:16:22

At 8/26/10 11:40 PM, Mystery-Moon-Pie-Aud wrote: Is there any way faster than doing each single midi note, in a similar manner to FL Studio where you can just quantize and it cuts the beginning/ends and aligns to grid?

Select all notes> Event> Function > Quantize

/ Accomplishments: first 1000 comment news post.

/ عثكغ ʘⒺⒸⓀⒺʘ

BBS Signature

Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! 2013-05-24 18:16:58

At 5/22/13 08:23 AM, ZStriefel wrote: Logic leaves behind an AIF which is the copy of the file you imported (I think).. Is there a way to set a new default path for those? I think if you save the project, it'll default to putting that copy to the audio folder in the project file. Buut I often do quicky editing that doesn't really mandate saving the session.

I'm sure this has a simple solution (I don't know it) but what I do is kind of a roundabout solution to your problem, which is having one project file (with a shortcut on the desktop or wherever easily accessible) where you do all that kind of quick audio file editing. Everything goes neatly into one folder and sorts itself out that way.

Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! 2013-05-24 20:21:49

At 5/24/13 05:16 PM, Ecke wrote:
At 8/26/10 11:40 PM, Mystery-Moon-Pie-Aud wrote: Is there any way faster than doing each single midi note, in a similar manner to FL Studio where you can just quantize and it cuts the beginning/ends and aligns to grid?
Select all notes> Event> Function > Quantize

Or, in the piano roll, set the ... don't know what to call it ... scale? As in 1/8 or 1/16, etc. (upper middle of the window.)
Select note(s)
hit "Q."

You'll have to re-set the the "scale" (or whatever the proper name for it is) every time you quite and re-open the project.

BBS Signature

Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! 2013-05-25 12:35:08

At 5/24/13 08:21 PM, skyood wrote: don't know what to call it ... scale? As in 1/8 or 1/16, etc. (upper middle of the window.)

Resolution.

Personally I often prefer using the window in the top left (when you have selected the MIDI region in question), because it allows you to do quantization non-destructively (the original imperfections are still "available" - you can get them back by turning the quantization off), and lets you apply smaller 'amounts' of quantization (by setting Q-Strength below 100%), quantize velocity, quantize lengths, etc.

Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! 2013-05-28 18:40:46

How do ya'll bounce MP3?

320k, no VBR, real time, overload protection only here.

/ عثكغ ʘⒺⒸⓀⒺʘ

BBS Signature

Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! 2013-05-28 18:51:55

At 5/28/13 06:40 PM, Ecke wrote: How do ya'll bounce MP3?

320k, no VBR, real time, overload protection only here.

Use these settings. Why would you want to bounce real time?

Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! 2013-05-29 23:17:26

At 5/28/13 06:51 PM, Buoy wrote: Use these settings. Why would you want to bounce real time?

Externals.

/ عثكغ ʘⒺⒸⓀⒺʘ

BBS Signature

Response to Your questions about Logic Pro! 2017-08-01 11:25:57

At 7/3/09 03:49 PM, nathanallenpinard wrote:
At 7/3/09 03:22 PM, gregaaron89 wrote:
At 7/3/09 03:16 PM, nathanallenpinard wrote:
At 7/3/09 03:13 PM, statueofdiveo wrote: what do you mean "MAY"
What else would it mean? I don't know for sure.

When you loop a segment of MIDI by click on the "Loop" checkbox, it might also include the automation, but I do not know for sure.
Wow, I've never looped something this way, I've always just pulled it to loop it. But regardless I checked and it doesn't include the automation when you do that.
Well then, I suppose the answer is no to that first question.

Btw, you can drag the loop segments to be shorter or longer if you don't want them to loop forever. Go to the bottom edge of the region and it'll turn into a loop icon. Drag to extend or shorten.

(Im probably late, but I think I can answer this....)
Weeeellll...... if you copy and paste a midi region holding automation it also pastes the automation. It's kinda annoying sometimes, but if ya wanna loop automation, that's what you have to do. Or of coarse just copy and paste your automation