00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Peacock6k just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Art Portal?

13,128 Views | 134 Replies

Art Portal? 2009-06-05 12:00:04

I was looking through the Help/FAQ, and I happened to notice something different. A "Submitting Art" section was added there, with rules and everything!

Could this mean the Art Portal is coming out sooner than we think? What about the Literature Portal?

Response to Art Portal? 2009-06-05 12:02:43

Good find.

I find it rather weird though that submitted art isn't going to instantly appear in the portal, rather a moderator has to pick them... that kinda goes against everything by everyone doesn't it?

So zetta slow!

BBS Signature

Response to Art Portal? 2009-06-05 12:04:03

April fools. They just forgot to take it off... I think...

The nice thing about egotists is that they don't talk about other people.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Portal? 2009-06-05 12:05:09

Wow. Awesome find.
This... "scouting system"... it's kinda confusing.

Formerly known as Headshot777

The Newgrounds BBS is like a woman. All the teenagers who get into it make a terrible mess within two minutes. -Jercurpac

BBS Signature

Response to Art Portal? 2009-06-05 12:05:35

At 6/5/09 12:02 PM, Yiffy wrote: Good find.

I find it rather weird though that submitted art isn't going to instantly appear in the portal, rather a moderator has to pick them... that kinda goes against everything by everyone doesn't it?

I actually find that this bit of control will be good as a regulator, and will prevent us from becoming like a site such as DeviantArt and it's variations, or just another imageboard.

Response to Art Portal? 2009-06-05 12:08:54

At 6/5/09 12:00 PM, ninjakoopa-33 wrote: Could this mean the Art Portal is coming out sooner than we think?

That depends on what you think.

:3

Sit tight kids!

Self-published fiction: Mostly Lies

Response to Art Portal? 2009-06-05 12:09:42

I sense many bad Submissions in the near-future...

Response to Art Portal? 2009-06-05 12:10:55

At 6/5/09 12:02 PM, Yiffy wrote: I find it rather weird though that submitted art isn't going to instantly appear in the portal, rather a moderator has to pick them... that kinda goes against everything by everyone doesn't it?

Weird? Can you imagine the abuse if anyone could just dump whatever they wanted onto the site?

Response to Art Portal? 2009-06-05 12:12:54

I fail to see where it says a *moderator* has to pick them. Lnkplz?

BBS Signature

Response to Art Portal? 2009-06-05 12:16:22

At 6/5/09 12:05 PM, Headshot777 wrote: Wow. Awesome find.
This... "scouting system"... it's kinda confusing.

Indeed. The way I see it, it's somewhat like an approval system. If you haven't been "scouted", then your artwork won't appear in the Art Portal. Instead, it will remain on your userpage.

In order to get your artwork to appear in the Portal, you need to be "scouted" by an approved artist. Once you're scouted, you then may scout other artists and approve them.

Oh, and if you happen to break the rules, you may be "unscouted", which means that your art will remain on your userpage.

Response to Art Portal? 2009-06-05 12:16:54

the so called art portal will be like devianart and..isnt that like copying?! HMMM?

cherry garcia: its like having an angel cum in your mouth

BBS Signature

Response to Art Portal? 2009-06-05 12:18:36

At 6/5/09 12:16 PM, ninjakoopa-33 wrote: Indeed. The way I see it, it's somewhat like an approval system. If you haven't been "scouted", then your artwork won't appear in the Art Portal. Instead, it will remain on your userpage.

In order to get your artwork to appear in the Portal, you need to be "scouted" by an approved artist. Once you're scouted, you then may scout other artists and approve them.

Oh, and if you happen to break the rules, you may be "unscouted", which means that your art will remain on your userpage.

Ah, I get it.
But the reason the Audio Portal is failing is because nobody gets anything from voting on anything or blamming and saving, like the Flash Portal. I don't see the Art Portal succeeding without some kind of benefit from scouting or voting on art.

Formerly known as Headshot777

The Newgrounds BBS is like a woman. All the teenagers who get into it make a terrible mess within two minutes. -Jercurpac

BBS Signature

Response to Art Portal? 2009-06-05 12:19:30

At 6/5/09 12:16 PM, ninjakoopa-33 wrote: Indeed. The way I see it, it's somewhat like an approval system.

It's not THAT confusing, right?

At 6/5/09 12:16 PM, therealanimator wrote: the so called art portal will be like devianart and..isnt that like copying?! HMMM?

What are you on about?

Newgrounds.com also uses colours. I'm sure some other website came up with that first... JUST like copying man.

Response to Art Portal? 2009-06-05 12:20:50

At 6/5/09 12:12 PM, bob wrote:

I fail to see where it says a *moderator* has to pick them. Lnkplz?

Well a "scouter" then, haha.

I can imagine an art portal would be under even more threat of abuse than the flash portal. But how exactly are pieces of art found, and what stops scouters from applying friend politics? Do scouters get notified or a list of submissions which they can approve?

So zetta slow!

BBS Signature

Response to Art Portal? 2009-06-05 12:20:55

Nice find, want a cookie?

If your ad blocker isn't working, do one of the following:

BBS Signature

Response to Art Portal? 2009-06-05 12:23:08

At 6/5/09 12:18 PM, Headshot777 wrote: But the reason the Audio Portal is failing

Failing? I think that might be too strong a word there, bub. It's certainly not as popular as flash, and yes, the lack of B/P involvement is part of it but flash is kind of NG's central theme. With these new portals, we're trying to become more diverse in that sense.

Response to Art Portal? 2009-06-05 12:24:35

I cant wait for it to come, can finally submit something to newgrounds that's decent that way.

I-Bot - Helps users filter and sort Art Portal submissions, and picks each day's winning works of art.
Am I the first to notice this? Wonder what he's going to look like.

Response to Art Portal? 2009-06-05 12:25:19

At 6/5/09 12:16 PM, therealanimator wrote: the so called art portal will be like devianart and..isnt that like copying?! HMMM?

Kinda like how we had Flash and Music Portals first? HMMM?

All of these Portals have been on the NG wish list for a very long time.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Art Portal? 2009-06-05 12:26:39

At 6/5/09 12:20 PM, Yiffy wrote: I can imagine an art portal would be under even more threat of abuse than the flash portal. But how exactly are pieces of art found, and what stops scouters from applying friend politics?

By browsing user pages, presumably. Now, I don't know what the BBS policies will be in terms of active scouting (i.e. a "SCOUT ME PLZ" thread... though we're bound to get 50000 individual ones).

To prevent friend politics, there will be consequences for scouting haphazardly, consequences that may or may not run through the entire branches of a scouting "tree" if you will.

Response to Art Portal? 2009-06-05 12:26:39

At 6/5/09 12:20 PM, Yiffy wrote: But how exactly are pieces of art found, and what stops scouters from applying friend politics?

By having them "discovered" on your userpage.

Do scouters get notified or a list of submissions which they can approve?

It'd be a good option to have that, so that scouts don't have to go from userpage to userpage looking for artwork to approve.

At 6/5/09 12:19 PM, Zerok wrote:
At 6/5/09 12:16 PM, ninjakoopa-33 wrote: Indeed. The way I see it, it's somewhat like an approval system.
It's not THAT confusing, right?

I suppose not.

:3

Response to Art Portal? 2009-06-05 12:29:23

At 6/5/09 12:25 PM, TomFulp wrote: All of these Portals have been on the NG wish list for a very long time.

so it have taken so much time because NG have been naughty and hosted loads of abusive flashes and stuff? :p
for all i care, tell santa to stick it somewhere, and keep up the abusiveness :D

Wakka wakka

Response to Art Portal? 2009-06-05 12:31:34

While taking a look through I noticed this :

Art Moderators: AlmightyHans, BlueHippo, BoMToons, deadspread83, Egoraptor, Luis, poxpower, ReNaeNae, and SardonicSamurai.

Seems like the art portal is closer than previously thought, but I'm more interested in the Lit. portal (just slightly).

You're not the main character.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Portal? 2009-06-05 12:33:45

Ah, interesting indeed. I noticed earlier that some of the staff have had their names added (re-added in a few cases) to the list of forum moderators at the bottom of every forum thread listing, so I was wondering if anything was being planned. Trust me to take a tiny change to mean something big, heh. Hey, a lot of us do it I think: what about when there's some routine site maintenence, eh!?

I'm all behind this thing, so let's see if we get it kicked off to a good start. I'll just acquaint myself with the FAQ again right now.

Response to Art Portal? 2009-06-05 12:36:46

At 6/5/09 12:33 PM, Scarab wrote: Ah, interesting indeed. I noticed earlier that some of the staff have had their names added (re-added in a few cases) to the list of forum moderators at the bottom of every forum thread listing, so I was wondering if anything was being planned.

ah look at that, all staff admins are now listed in the forum as mods as well. kewlerz

Wakka wakka

Response to Art Portal? 2009-06-05 12:39:07

At 6/5/09 12:31 PM, SkullScar wrote: While taking a look through I noticed this :

ALSO:

"I-Bot - Helps users filter and sort Art Portal submissions, and picks each day's winning works of art."

Hahaha, who called it?

Also bob, or whoever's in charge of editing the FAQ, the thing still says "we employ four bots," instead of five. You CANNOT launch the Art Portal before this extremely crucial error is remedied.

;)

Response to Art Portal? 2009-06-05 12:42:22

Since pervert-bate (elegantly put) is banned, I'm guessing that means no Hentai, which is a very, very good thing.

I'm crushed inside D:

Response to Art Portal? 2009-06-05 12:42:32

At 6/5/09 12:39 PM, Zerok wrote: ALSO:
"I-Bot - Helps users filter and sort Art Portal submissions, and picks each day's winning works of art."
Hahaha, who called it?

Lully called it first. He beat ya to it! ;)

At 6/5/09 12:24 PM, Lully wrote: I-Bot - Helps users filter and sort Art Portal submissions, and picks each day's winning works of art.
Am I the first to notice this?

Response to Art Portal? 2009-06-05 12:45:28

Oh, that's what looked different about the contents section.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Portal? 2009-06-05 12:45:47

At 6/5/09 12:39 PM, Zerok wrote: ALSO:

Hahaha, who called it?

Also bob, or whoever's in charge of editing the FAQ, the thing still says "we employ four bots," instead of five. You CANNOT launch the Art Portal before this extremely crucial error is remedied.

;)

"[ CONSTRUCTION NEARING COMPLETION ]"

The suspense is killing me.

You're not the main character.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Portal? 2009-06-05 12:48:48

i really thought F-bot was gonna be the official art-portal bot. maybe for the lit-portal?... or the chat? :)

Wakka wakka