00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Peacock6k just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Whistle List Flush

9,902 Views | 66 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Whistle List Flush 2004-01-21 13:19:53

For some time now there have been a lot of entries on the whistle list. There are a few reasons for this. Mainly we were working on a better system to process flagged entries, and we were putting together an email that goes out to any user who submitted an entry that was flagged and then removed. This all kept being put on the side burner as we've had bigger problems lately. Well, now we are ready to flush the list. There are hundreds of entries flagged. Rather than spend the time looking through them all I will be removing them all from the site. If you feel you had a legit entry flagged (especially during the down time we just had) please feel free to resubmit it. In the future, if you feel your legit entry was flagged unfairly, please email me with your username and explain your case.

From my experience 99% of the entries that get flagged deserve to be. Sometimes an entry will get flagged as being stolen, when it actually isn't. However, some authors don't make it easy for our audience to discern if an entry is legit or not. To help them, be sure to always include your NG validated email address in the beginning of your entry, and at the end. If you don't want to make your primary email address public, make a secondary email account to use for Newgrounds. Make this email address public to our users and put it in all your Flash work.

Another good idea is to use our pre-loader which can be found on our Flash Help page. Also be sure to read up on our other Flash tips like Audio Optimization. We still see many un-optimized submissions coming into the Portal. Many of the 2-5MB entries we see could be optimized to 200-700k if the author took the time to optimize.

Why optimize? It will increase the amount of users who view your entry and it can help improve your score. Many users can recognize an un-optimized Flash and may vote lower as a result.

The whistle list will clear out sometime in the early AM hours tomorrow. When this happens there will be an unusually high number of BLAMMED entries list in the portal for the following day. There will also be many points awarded. :)

Follow me on Twitter! TWITTER

Be my Facebook friend! FACEBOOK

Google+ Profile

BBS Signature

Response to Whistle List Flush 2004-01-21 13:26:13

At 1/21/04 01:19 PM, WadeFulp wrote: For some time now there have been a lot of entries on the whistle list. There are a few reasons for this. Mainly we were working on a better system to process flagged entries, and we were putting together an email that goes out to any user who submitted an entry that was flagged and then removed. This all kept being put on the side burner as we've had bigger problems lately. Well, now we are ready to flush the list. There are hundreds of entries flagged. Rather than spend the time looking through them all I will be removing them all from the site. If you feel you had a legit entry flagged (especially during the down time we just had) please feel free to resubmit it. In the future, if you feel your legit entry was flagged unfairly, please email me with your username and explain your case.

Ahh, interesting. The e-mail idea sounds both logical and important.

From my experience 99% of the entries that get flagged deserve to be. Sometimes an entry will get flagged as being stolen, when it actually isn't. However, some authors don't make it easy for our audience to discern if an entry is legit or not. To help them, be sure to always include your NG validated email address in the beginning of your entry, and at the end. If you don't want to make your primary email address public, make a secondary email account to use for Newgrounds. Make this email address public to our users and put it in all your Flash work.

It also helps when, if they have a site, it's clear whether or not they have the permission to submit flash from that site. Every now and then someone will come along and submit something that COULD be a tribute to a long running series, or it could be stolen, and they list the official site as their site, but if you go check it out, there's no way to find out whether it's stolen or not... I tend to not whistle in that case, but from what you're saying, going ahead and whistling if the author doesn't make things clear is not a bad thing.

The whistle list will clear out sometime in the early AM hours tomorrow. When this happens there will be an unusually high number of BLAMMED entries list in the portal for the following day. There will also be many points awarded. :)

Heh. Excellent.

Good to see that things can return to normal around here and smaller issues can be handled, now that the server changeover is done.

I wonder if the whistle list being cleared is going to return my review count to its actual number (it says 206 in my profile, but I have 204 reviews in my list... it's been 2 higher in the profile for half a year now).

gfox // wi/ht?#9 // defunct PentaList (final update: 3/15/2008) // Cyberdevil's HexaList!

a long, long time ago: 60000 b/p (#2) // 36000 blams (#3) // 24000 saves (#1)

BBS Signature

Response to Whistle List Flush 2004-01-21 13:29:22

Spiffy, maybe I'm in for a load of points tomorrow then.

Response to Whistle List Flush 2004-01-21 13:36:00

Yay, I might hit 1000 blams/saves tommorrow! (I've barely had this account a month)

Response to Whistle List Flush 2004-01-21 13:53:10

yeah well i got like 500 server errors so that still isnt fixed. height of visitors or not it should work, WORK!!!!

Response to Whistle List Flush 2004-01-21 14:14:56

At 1/21/04 01:53 PM, blankfucker wrote: yeah well i got like 500 server errors so that still isnt fixed. height of visitors or not it should work, WORK!!!!

U R DAMN RIGHT

Response to Whistle List Flush 2004-01-21 14:22:37

At 1/21/04 01:19 PM, WadeFulp wrote: There will also be many points awarded. :)

NICE! Hopefully this will bring me alot closer to the last rank :D

Response to Whistle List Flush 2004-01-21 14:38:34

At 1/21/04 01:53 PM, blankfucker wrote: yeah well i got like 500 server errors so that still isnt fixed. height of visitors or not it should work, WORK!!!!

What's this now? When did you get these errors? Shortly after my front page post the DB was taken off-line for 5 minutes to re-config some stuff. During this time there would have been errors.

LilJim has done a lot to get rid of the errors. I don't think I've had one while the DB has been up.

Follow me on Twitter! TWITTER

Be my Facebook friend! FACEBOOK

Google+ Profile

BBS Signature

Response to Whistle List Flush 2004-01-21 14:41:49

No 1 - I've had no errors.

No 2 - most of 'em deserve to be rid of. And I've got a load of pointless reviews. And you're getting rid of the backlog. It's a shame that some good entries will go too...

Response to Whistle List Flush 2004-01-21 14:46:38

At 1/21/04 01:19 PM, WadeFulp wrote:

Ooh, pointilicious! Good idea, I wonder if any new gold whistles will be created...

Response to Whistle List Flush 2004-01-21 15:04:27

At 1/21/04 02:46 PM, jonthomson wrote: Ooh, pointilicious! Good idea, I wonder if any new gold whistles will be created...

Is there a top 50 whilstly points list or something, so you know exactly where you stand?

Response to Whistle List Flush 2004-01-21 15:20:13

At 1/21/04 02:46 PM, jonthomson wrote: Ooh, pointilicious! Good idea, I wonder if any new gold whistles will be created...

Since Gold is apparently based on the amount that the person(s) that have Deity.... My guess would be no.

The point is... Don't lose your dinosaur.

BBS Signature

Response to Whistle List Flush 2004-01-21 15:42:06

ah... i had blammed a few entries lately, and my total wasnt adding quite like i expected. but this explains it all, thank you.

wade, i saw errors last nite and only a few this afternoon, only when i acessed the BBS. no biggie, just reload a few times. minor compared to the trouble last week.

Response to Whistle List Flush 2004-01-21 15:57:20

How do I cash in on this point awarding? I've been here a long time and still my blams/saves is 0. HELP!

Response to Whistle List Flush 2004-01-21 16:00:19

Hi Wade are you going to be upgrading the whistle system at all making it eiser to find out witch movies have been flaged you should consider adding a color system for this.

Response to Whistle List Flush 2004-01-21 16:09:57

Bad idea on the flush, i have seen many many movies that people said were stolen just for being high quality (too high quality for someone to beilive.) Maybe just a quick runthrough would be best, tag ones you find to be acceptable and anhiliate the rest.

Response to Whistle List Flush 2004-01-21 16:16:32

At 1/21/04 03:57 PM, Xpert wrote: How do I cash in on this point awarding? I've been here a long time and still my blams/saves is 0. HELP!

go HERE and learn all about b/p points =]

Response to Whistle List Flush 2004-01-21 16:18:39

ive been getting some errors, bnut its better than it was before (all teh maliciousness, or even before the change to the looks)
i guess you always gonna get errors, but at least its not many!!!
another good idea to protect our flash is to put your username in it. (a person can act like they from your site, ive seen this a lot) put your osermane in your beta version stuff (like i do). thx wade and tom and liljim for putting up with all this shit and still keeping it free

Response to Whistle List Flush 2004-01-21 16:19:08

At 1/21/04 02:38 PM, WadeFulp wrote: What's this now? When did you get these errors?

i got 1 or 2 too, but nothing to worry about, its much better than it used to be.. i can now surf in peace :)

burrrpppp

BBS Signature

Response to Whistle List Flush 2004-01-21 16:41:04

Now is this "whistle list", is that the reason the god damn loading errors are popping up again? Cause I thought that you guys fixed this, and it is really annoying. I go to watch a movie confident that all the stupid errors are delt with. Then one pops up! So I go ok maybe it was just a coincidence. Then I go to load it again, and again, and again. I gave up around the twentieth time. It wasnt just one submission either. It was about four others that followed. Is it just me? Or is it the "whistle list".

Response to Whistle List Flush 2004-01-21 16:44:59

At 1/21/04 04:41 PM, BurningRanger91 wrote: Now is this "whistle list", is that the reason the god damn loading errors are popping up again?

No, I think NG just had an isolated 10 minutes of downtime. Probably someone fiddling with the database.

Response to Whistle List Flush 2004-01-21 17:21:18

At 1/21/04 01:19 PM, WadeFulp wrote: Why optimize? It will increase the amount of users who view your entry and it can help improve your score. Many users can recognize an un-optimized Flash and may vote lower as a result.

i know thatr is true for a fact. several borderline movies have been blamed because of large file size for low quality.

Response to Whistle List Flush 2004-01-21 17:28:37

At 1/21/04 01:19 PM, WadeFulp wrote: Why optimize? It will increase the amount of users who view your entry and it can help improve your score. Many users can recognize an un-optimized Flash and may vote lower as a result.

Oh so true. You are so right on that one. When I see a guy that hasn't any movies that passed judgement, that submits a 2 to 5 MB file, and doesn't put anything worth of reading in the description, I usually know what awaits me after that PLAY button (yeah, some use NG's preloader, some don't) but anyways, I watch it. Unless I'm pissed at the very beginning at the fist 5 or 10 seconds of the thing. And yes, when I see that, I usually vote lower. It's psychologic stuff.
I also think we should sensibilize (spelling?meaning?) you know, make NG users aware of that Audio Optimization. I remember, when I uploaded a movie, I read at the end something about Audio Optimization, I don't know where I read it, so I went to see the Audio Optimization page and I read it. My file was 1,300 kb on the beginning, I used the audio thingy, and I uploaded it again (while it was still under judgement) and I shrank it to 650 kb or something. I'm sure that it attracted more people to see it.
So we should make NG users aware.

I play lottery. I always lose.

LOOK at my CAR VIDEOS on YouTUBE !!

BBS Signature

Response to Whistle List Flush 2004-01-21 17:30:05

wahhey, I might actually get those whistle points now. :(

unban russianspy22

BBS Signature

Response to Whistle List Flush 2004-01-21 18:19:04

At 1/21/04 02:38 PM, WadeFulp wrote: During this time there would have been errors.

I coulnt vote for 5 minutes because of errors just now.

Response to Whistle List Flush 2004-01-21 18:25:24

I do know that some of my friends just started blamming and blowin the whistle on shit cause wverything was down. Which is complete bullshit cause most of that shit could have been awesome, and since it was blammed and removed, we may not know until they put it back up. I mean, yeah, we were all pissed that shit wasnt workin, but next time, leave shit alone, dont mess with it, or Imma gonna kick some ass.

Response to Whistle List Flush 2004-01-21 18:29:22

wade i have a confession

i made a movie called the "breakfast bunch" i worked for a long time on the movie and when i submited it it was blamed so i made some improvements to the movie backgrounds, corect spelling and i added sound. After each improvement i resubmited it and finaly it flaged

it is not a worthy movie for new grounds and i should've been punished in some way

i just wanted to get this out of my mind before you flush the list

Response to Whistle List Flush 2004-01-21 18:31:03

Can you still view whistled entries, or is it like blamming them. If not then you should just let users watch and decide if they deserved to be flagged.

My art gallery, because I'm better than you at things.

BBS Signature

Response to Whistle List Flush 2004-01-21 18:47:41

yea, for the errors thing, I've been getting a few, but not alot. Just thought you might wanna know. I know I apprecitate all the hard work you guys are doing, even if SOME people dont. People just dont understand how hard it is to have run things smoothly. I say they need to start doing so, cause running a site isnt all what its cracked up to be. It can be hard at times.

So, all yall, shut up and apprecitate what these guys are doing :P

Response to Whistle List Flush 2004-01-21 18:53:00

Kool, every stolen flash gets to be flushed down the toilet.Still the portal has alot of crap in it that needs to be blammed.