00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

ClayBound just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Wide Layout

72,391 Views | 643 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 03:32:22

i love the idea, but the page looks very messy and clunky now. I'm sure you guys are gonna stylize it up though. the consistent and clean layout is just another feature that separates NG from rip off sites like kongregate or whatever.

some games look awesome full screened + dimmed.

I'm your average Afro-American fetus. For example: I enjoy basketball, I'm rather good when I play too, but I'm much too busy scratching my horrific cracked skin these days.

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 03:33:50

Hey, how about instead of giving the author the option to choose a layout for his flash, as suggested, give the user this option to select a layout for all flashes.
Also, you could replace the E icon with the flash's 46x46 icon (I don't know whether that would look good though).
Finally, it would be a good idea to have the flashes paused at startup (or not start at all) so that the user will have to unpause them only if he wanted. Most spam submissions don't even have a preloader or have an inappropriate preloader. The current system also prevents multi-tab browsing -saving a flash to watch later.

Wha

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 03:46:29

Thank you Tom!

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 03:49:40

The general layout of this new format is awesome! I appreciate you kept the option of having a pop-up. Now, one thing that I believe you need to keep informed.

Personally, I'm a complete paranoid regarding net security on my system, so I have what you wouldn't believe in anti-anything... including unauthorized pop-ups and ads. It seems that, somewhere on the script of the new presentation, you left a door open for spyware and malware. My security stopped 8 different attempts, going from simple "Windows Security Add-on" to "Widowmaker.dll", and that's just trying the Sonic game!

I don't know if someone else has faced the same thing, but if me mentioning this thing avoids unwanted infection of innocent systems, then I'll be happy.

Keep going, Tom!

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 03:50:24

I really don't like that a) the flash loads instantly now and b) that it's hard to make out if a submission is a game or a video (especially true for content opened from the newsletter).

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 03:54:23

hmm, looks different. I dont really like it that much but it will take some time to get used to. I have a few questions though:
-why do the submissions have suposedly random letters in the top left hand corner which dont look very NG-ish
-where have the icons gone!!!
-that play button underneath the text telling you weather its under judgement or in another window or something is really annoying
-it feels a bit gimicky, like with the resize button and the dim button
-it lags

My websites: MayesMods | FireStorm | I'm also on almost every other website in existence, mostly under the username: andy70707 (youtube: brainiac777, eBay: 10andy70707).

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 03:54:29

It's not that great... it lacks the NG feel, and it makes you think of like, armor games or something. The window option is inconvenient, it has to like, reload the page to work, which takes up a little time... The windowed viewing is the best I would say. It's classic Newgrounds... I'll get used to it...

Vote Green.

Sig by PabMo. Thank you very much.

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 03:56:54

This is a step in the right direction for sure. Keep it up you 3. I am sure within the coming weeks this will be very well received.

~MK

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 03:57:12

what are guys talking about it "lagging"? It's as smooth as ever for me.. switch to Firefox or get a new computer :/

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 03:57:59

Whore-ay for lord widey-ness!

pokefanatics! Your attention please! Walren is frighteningly similar to the painting 'Great wave of Kanagawa'

Look it up!

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 03:58:35

Great Job 11/10

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 04:02:13

i absolutely HATE it..... however if you made the whole site wide and not just the content pages and also fixed everything else like made the header and stuff the same width then it might be acceptable.... although the old way was classic and awesome =[

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 04:06:40

I like! Much better than the the previous lightbox popup thing, and the dimming feature is pretty cool too. Will take some time getting used to, but so far it looks great.

The latest: Hexa #97 (May)

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 04:12:35

of course your going to get alot of users sayign "wtf is this shit!" and some saying "Woot... all my 5 are belong to widescreen!"... at the end of the day, its a new thing and its a very big change to what some users are used to...

i have to agree with some users saying that the screen layout now looks very messy with everything not fitting in very well... and large gaps and stuff... i have to agree with the store adds now... much better then the blank / tank man before...

it would be nice to have some sort of user preference... where you can choose to have one or the other in your userpage setting or something... i would make everyone happy then... but it all comes down to how much time you want to spend on it...

normaly you will find you can never make everyone happy... your site... your rules..

at the moment im not quite sure... i logged on and went on my 5 a day blam/save spree and was totaly stunned and confused... im sure it will need a bit of a tweek here and there but im sure people will either get used to it of moan about it...

so il have a go with the new style and see how i get on :3

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 04:28:03

I noticed it while watching awesome cracks down. Epic shit.

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 04:34:03

That's awesome, except you may want to disable it on Halloween... this format is just SCREAMING to be exploited to be used as screamers. Random gory pictures with loud screeching is bad enough, but widescreen?...

Games, Toons, and Other Escapes From Reality.

NutcaseNightmare [dot] com

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 04:40:05

i just like the fact that I can fill up the whole damn screen with animation now, now i'll most likley be watching even more flash when i have dinner, instead of watching some lame family-guy ep. or whatever.

A few things that popped into my head though (and if theyve been suggested already, fuck you, i'm not gonna read through 13 pages of people whining about HOW MUCH BETTUH IT WAS WITH TEH SLIM JESSICA-ALBA LAYOUT, INSTEAD OF THE NEW FAT JESSICA SIMPSON-LAYOUT WARGH):

- A stop-button would be great. Simply because when a flash is done playing , some have music or whatever that keeps going. And if I want to browse the suggested content or write a review or whatever, some like (myself) might prefer to do that in silence, instead of some UNTS UNTS BLEEP BLOOOP going on in the background.
Now, I know you can stop the animation by rightclicking, or if you're watching a popup close the popup - and if you're not watching a popup you can open a popup to shut it down. :)
But it's just one of those small things that I think takes a little time to create (?) and that would be worth the effort, since it would make things a bit more smooth.

- you guys soooo gotta make some kind of "loading-list", ex:
Some dude place four movies in his loading-list. the first movie loads, and starts play. as soon as the first movie is loaded, the second movie starts load. If the second movie is loaded before the first movie is done, it will NOT start loading the third until the second movie starts playing. Sthe second movie starts play just after the first one is over. Perhaps have a little "remote-control" at the bottom where you can skip movies/go to the next/previous one and the play/pause option suggested above. PLEASE DON'T RIDICULE ME AND MY SUGGESTIONS IN ALL CAPS JOHNNY_UTAH, IT WOULD HURT MY FEELINGS IMMENSLEY AND I WOULD BE FORCED TO LEAVE NEWGROUNDS FOREVER WAH I JUST POINTED OUT MY OPINION AND DID IT IN A NON-ABUSIVE WAY SO PLEASE DON'T HACK MY ACCOUNT AND REPLACE EVERYTHING WITH PENISES :'(

At 5/27/09 12:31 AM, PsychoGoldfish wrote: and nobody wants dicks popping up on their office PC.

i notice that you wrote "office PC". PG like random dick-popping in his home-PC? Juuuust what i thought...

Wakka wakka

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 04:40:55

Sigh. I really loved the old layout; there was just something about its simplicity that made me really happy. This, on the other hand, is a bit... much. Please, please give us the option to switch from this to the old style...

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 04:41:18

At 5/27/09 04:08 AM, BUCHANKO wrote: Am i the only one who doesn't like it? =.=...
The old one was better....

If you read the thread you'll find the majority of posters don't like it.

I find it interesting that 90% of the posts that elaborated on their thesis had something negative to say.

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 04:48:01

not bad. the Voting Buttons may need to be resized though; yknow, maybe make them a little bigger.

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 04:49:17

At 5/26/09 08:17 PM, TomFulp wrote: Alrighty... The wide layout has launched!

The "Related Content" info needs to re-populate with proper results. Until then you will see a lot of content that doesn't feel very related... The end result should be much better.

If you want to test the "Max Size" button, which makes Flash fill the width of the layout, try it on these!
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/15 1706
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/18 9081
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/43 9541
You can still open Flash in a pop-up as well, and the moon icon dims the lights, like the lightbox layout we had before this. Give it a minute to soak in and let us know if anything is totally broken.

Everyone thank PsychoGoldfish, Liljim and Bob!

The header and foot info box stuff should be adjusted to the new width, the rest is cool. Also maybe the box that recommends stuff on the right should always feature like, 2 pieces of the auther of the viewed work as well.

XO

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 05:00:48

It just doesn't feel the same as it used to

Proud Scotsman | PSN: Trystlions | Typing Useless Posts Since 2008

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 05:08:45

Can i complain? please, please, please :P
nah, seriously now, the idea in core is okey and fine but for people (like me) who gets subscribers emial about "best of the day" and who, after reciving the email, are clicking on each of the animation to open in diffrent tab - its damn anoying. and this is because of lots of artists add music or SFX to the preloader or even worst - they dont have the preloader which results in 0-5 animations being started and played at the same time which then results in masive lag and sound/music chaos. its not you fault Tom, but you need to bear this in mind. i would like to have a choice if i want to start the flash loading, please. otherwise we'll end up like youtube. just the flesh version.
other then that - good job =)

Best Regards and sorry for my misrable english
Irbis

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 05:09:44

Wow!

I love this!
Thank you Tom!

The nice thing about egotists is that they don't talk about other people.

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 05:24:28

Right, the layout is great and all, but I've noticed a flaw.

"JUDGMENT"? Yeah if you are an American. What about Brits? Should be Judgement.

I suggest you change the spelling of JUDG(E)MENT to the correct local spellng based on where the user is from. And I'm sure liljim will agree with me here. (GO BRITFAGS!)

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 05:34:03

i don't like it i preffer the old layout to this plus this new layout is akward too use

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 05:38:00

I like it.

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 05:47:40

Got enough ads on these submission pages? Sheeeesh. Some way to treat the users that upload their flashes here. Spam their submission with ads all over the page.

The "you might also enjoy" flashes shouldn't be placed on the side of the flash either, maybe somewhere away from the flash. I think it's somewhat disrespectful to the artist with all the ads already. Submitting should be about getting feedback and spotlight on the user that has submitted, not "LETS CLICK ALL THESE ADS AND VISIT OTHER FLASHES INSTEAD CAUSE THEY LOOK MORE IMPORTANT AND STAND OUT MORE THAN THE FLASH IT SELF" It's put me off submitting here. It's widescreen yet it looks so claustrophobic.

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 05:50:10

after reading some others posts i understand the need to display more content easier like youtube,

but seriously there is a real lack of layout design here,
the flash viewing area takes up too much space and is often dead space.
Details like author name, author comments, reviews are harder to see.

i really hate having the flashs load automatically, your wasting bandwidth and i don't mean just yours i mean mine some of us live in a third world country where internet is expensive. when i click a link to a flash i like to see the icon or snap shoot, read the authors comments and read some reviews first before viewing the flash.

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 06:01:10

Brilliant :D
Especially the option to make the movie widescreen, this helps because my films are 720x408, which is born to be widescreen :D
Only one bad side though, the blocks dont fit together, I mean it as in the rating meter is just in the middle of a box instead of fitting where it should go (congrats if you made ANY sense of that)
But apart from that, it was a really good change :D